HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kristian Huselius

Old
06-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

vCash: 500
Kristian Huselius

Hey guys, I come in peace.

I'm just looking to inquire about the value of Kristian Huselius to the Columbus organization.

I seem to remember more than a few trade proposals where Columbus fan's seem to be itching to get rid of him. Is this still true?

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
The only way I'd want to get rid of him is if Columbus would be using him as a part of a package for someone better. Otherwise it would be dumb to be rid of him.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:13 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

I'd love to keep him, but for a budget team, he takes up too much space with too little production. Not to mention he's likely the odd man out between Nash, Voracek, Filatov, and Umberger on the wings. *Why does it feel like I'm forgetting someone...*

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

I have a query. Would you rather have the cap space, or the player? For example, if Calgary traded you Kotalik for Huselius, and you knew full well that Kotalik was going to run off to Europe and you'd be off the hook for both his salary and his cap hit, would you do it?

Old
06-29-2010, 12:19 AM
CapnCornelius

In a trade for a center or #1 defenseman he's a logical choice to move because of cap number if the team needs a roster forward going back their way.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I have a query. Would you rather have the cap space, or the player? For example, if Calgary traded you Kotalik for Huselius, and you knew full well that Kotalik was going to run off to Europe and you'd be off the hook for both his salary and his cap hit, would you do it?
If Columbus was guaranteed to get a #1 center then yes but just to get rid of him no because he still gets us 50-60 points.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
If Columbus was guaranteed to get a #1 center then yes but just to get rid of him no because he still gets us 50-60 points.
Okay. So it would have to a be to facilitate another trade. Gotcha.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:45 AM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
I'd love to keep him, but for a budget team, he takes up too much space with too little production.
scoring over 60 points on a team that has only had a handful of players to break that mark is a lack of production? So he scores 60 points. lets replace him with a guy that gets 40 points. Thats BlueJacket Hockey.

brianhatesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:59 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesu View Post
scoring over 60 points on a team that has only had a handful of players to break that mark is a lack of production? So he scores 60 points. lets replace him with a guy that gets 40 points. Thats BlueJacket Hockey.
If he were consistent, I'd be fine with him.

Unfortunately, when we need him most, he totally disappears.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:

Unfortunately, when we need him most, he totally disappears.
That sentence could describe Nash too, unfortunately.

I would hang onto Huselius until Filatov proves he belongs in the top 6.

Trading Juice and inserting Filatov would be like handing Brassard a top 6 center spot without having earned it, ah **** that already happened.

On a serious note if Howson wanted to save a few bucks he could see if Sutter wanted to swap Juice with Niklas Hagman.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
That sentence could describe Nash too, unfortunately.

I would hang onto Huselius until Filatov proves he belongs in the top 6.

Trading Juice and inserting Filatov would be like handing Brassard a top 6 center spot without having earned it, ah **** that already happened.

On a serious note if Howson wanted to save a few bucks he could see if Sutter wanted to swap Juice with Niklas Hagman.
Doesn't even really make sense. You could argue everyone on the team disappears...because they do at time. It's just easy to pick Nash because everyone expects him to score 50 goals every year, even though it's completely unrealistic to expect a player to show up for every game, especially when they are nursing an injury...

In fact, here are his statistics from last season...

Goals by period:

1st: 11G 2nd: 11G 3rd: 11G

Looks pretty consistent there...

Goals by game situation:

Tied: 11G
Trail by 1: 9G
Trail by 2: 3G
Trail by 3+: 3G

Lead by 1: 6G
Lead by 2: 0G
Lead by 3: 0G

Game Winning Goals: 6G
Empty Net Goals: 1G

According to those statistics, he is scoring goals in games where we either trailing by 1, tied, or up by 1. That's timely scoring. I wouldn't want him to be scoring goals when we are already down by 3 and it serves no purpose, nor would I want him scoring a bunch of goals when we're up by 2-3...This seems to completely disprove your theory, unless you expect him to always play as if it's about to murder someone, which is completely unrealistic because no one in the league plays like that. Even Crosby is invisible pretty often. I don't even remember seeing him in the Montreal series.

So according to those statistics if he weren't scoring those goals when he was, we could be losing up to 9 points for not tying games up, up to 22 points for not untying games, and not securing 12 points when we're already up by 1. Obviously 1 goal isn't always the deciding factor, but it usually is. So I'll cut that and half and assume that Nash is single handedly giving the team 23-25 points in a season. Or let's just say without him we would have been Edmonton last year. And that's with him having a bad year last year after getting injured and fatigued from the Olympics...

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:31 AM
Happy Pony

It's not so much that his scoring is inconsistent, it's the inconsistency of his overall game that drives me mad.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
What are the chances we could rephrase this as

"if Sutter wanted to trade Huselius for Niklas Hagman"?

Old
06-29-2010, 07:23 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
Doesn't even really make sense. You could argue everyone on the team disappears...because they do at time. It's just easy to pick Nash because everyone expects him to score 50 goals every year, even though it's completely unrealistic to expect a player to show up for every game, especially when they are nursing an injury...

Goals by period:

Goals by game situation:

According to those statistics, he is scoring goals in games where we either trailing by 1, tied, or up by 1. That's timely scoring. I wouldn't want him to be scoring goals when we are already down by 3 and it serves no purpose, nor would I want him scoring a bunch of goals when we're up by 2-3...This seems to completely disprove your theory, unless you expect him to always play as if it's about to murder someone, which is completely unrealistic because no one in the league plays like that. Even Crosby is invisible pretty often. I don't even remember seeing him in the Montreal series.

So according to those statistics if he weren't scoring those goals when he was, we could be losing up to 9 points for not tying games up, up to 22 points for not untying games, and not securing 12 points when we're already up by 1. Obviously 1 goal isn't always the deciding factor, but it usually is. So I'll cut that and half and assume that Nash is single handedly giving the team 23-25 points in a season. Or let's just say without him we would have been Edmonton last year. And that's with him having a bad year last year after getting injured and fatigued from the Olympics...

That's a very interesting analysis, Gulvorn.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post

Goals by period:

Goals by game situation:

Great post - I never thought to analyze it that way. Very interesting.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:21 AM
blahblah

At the same time, Juice scored the least 3rd period goals of anyone on the top line. By a lot actually.

Juice is fine and he can be an effective and valuable player. He comes as advertised.

Interesting stat. To me, at least. Nash and Juice were + players on the road in our playoff year. Last year they were near, or at, double digit minus players on the road.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I get as frustrated with Beatle as anyone..

sure he hits a lot of posts, and he looks like he is hovering rathering than scrapping for the puck..

but the guy has scored 65+ points on a team that doesn't have a true top skill centre. Juice is one of the few truly skilled stick handlers, and wrist shots that we have. Arniel's direction next season is more stick handling and carrying the puck(less dump ins), thus we need more guys with Juice's skills.

We included Juice or Commodore in a trade as a takeback of salary on any potential trade of 6MM or more. Preferably Commodore as we have more call ups on D then we do forwards.

I personally give up Juice in trade very grudgingly as no one else makes me spill my beer or popcorn as much as Beatle does eh?

P.S. I have always preferred teh ping of the post to the thwack of the glass ala Chimera

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

No. What I think has already been posted throughout this thread, but I don't think you trade him unless there's something really nice coming back. By "really nice", I mean your #1 center, top pairing defensemanm & maybe your choice of something else, not a pick & prospect that may crack the roster in 3-4 years. He could've had 35 goals in 08-09 had half the posts he hit gone in.

We need scoring. Even though he can be streaky, Kristian Huselius provides it. Nikita Filatov has been seen by some as the wave of the future and potential savior, but I think he more than ever needs to earn a spot in the Top 6 before Juice gets moved.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 06-29-2010 at 10:11 AM.
CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post

P.S. I have always preferred teh ping of the post to the thwack of the glass ala Chimera
Haha good point

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
GScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
In Chimera's defense you only got the thwack about 50% of the time. The other 50% you got the offsides whistle

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Juice is certainly no defensive demon; but if Nikki will only backcheck as hard as Huselius, he can wipe out quite a bit of the negative image he created for himself, last season. Juice never turns the puck over and just stares at it going the other way.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Nash could have had 40 goals or around that this year. Does anyone seem to remember how many times he had the puck near an empty net but passed it instead?

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
BJFan1

Quote:
If he were consistent, I'd be fine with him.
I don't think it's as much he is inconsistent.... he is consistent. He's good for 60-70 points per season. I think the term you are looking for is "streaky".

I like Juice. He is a talented forward, but yes, there is a streak of times when he doesn't produce much.... or when he over-produces in a single game. I'd rather have him take a point or 2 a game than to get 6 in one game then go 7 games without a point (this is just in theory, not that it actually happens, just seems that way, I didn't dig into his stats...)

If we were in a trade and moving salary, I'd move Commie b4 Juice if at all possible.

BJFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Huselius has got the best hands on the team. At this point, that is something we must retain. Here's to hoping Filatov will be a candidate to take over that position, sooner than later.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
It's not so much that his scoring is inconsistent, it's the inconsistency of his overall game that drives me mad.
Agreed. But it's probably that inconsistency that allowed us to pick him up as a free agent. Solid 60 pt players don't seem to be knocking down Howson's door trying to get in.
As a side note, I remember last season Hitch saying that Juice was a very talented, special player. But sometime he get's down on himself too much and it throws his game off. Interesting that Hitch would say that as he doesn't seem to be the feel good type of coach. He obviously liked him since Huselius almost had a permanent home on the first line regardless of his inconsistencies and not fitting into the Hitch player stereotype. A more offensive approach will probably better suit him. Plus maybe Arniel and co can help him mentally as well. Does anyone remember if Huselius played better after Hitch was gone? He might have an even better season next year. Plus I don't think enough players have proven themselves yet to knock Juice out of the top 6, essentially making him disposable. Of course if he is packaged for a #1 center or #1 defenseman..well like everyone else is saying..

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote