HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Thanks to all the players for a great tournament

Old
05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Siberian

vCash: 500
Thanks to all the players for a great tournament

I just want to say thank you to all the players who joined their national teams and played their hearts out during these two weeks. Considering the fact that majority of players have a tough season schedule in the NHL, the KHL and other leagues some even had to postpone their vacations and played for us fans. It was a really good tournament with some fantastic games!!!

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:27 PM
ts

Amen to that, it was a pleasure to watch.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
It was awesome seeing all the great upsets. Good tournament despite all the "no thanks" from a lot of NHLers.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
ts

Ah, Systemfel, in a thank you thread we should also thank you, thanks for your effort and work in all these threads and with all us fighting hockey maniacs.
Thanks to the ofter mods, too.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:33 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Thanks to all teams except Canada and USA.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:33 PM
LuigiStone*

Boring tournament. Needs more talent.

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:40 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
Boring tournament. Needs more talent.
it definitely wasn't boring. it was a pretty nice tourney with lots of upsets. But yeah, it could have been boring for USA and Canada, since they brought crappy rosters and played like ****.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 04:44 PM
zecke26

even though the talent level was maybe a bit lower than usual, at least it looked that way, i enjoyed the tournament especially because i saw a lot of players giving 100% and more.

but the reason for my post is another: thank you systemfel for the GDTs! it was such a nice service every day to have all important information. so thanks a lot!

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:39 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
I just want to say thank you to all the players who joined their national teams and played their hearts out during these two weeks. Considering the fact that majority of players have a tough season schedule in the NHL, the KHL and other leagues some even had to postpone their vacations and played for us fans. It was a really good tournament with some fantastic games!!!
I second that.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Zine

IIWC is what hockey is about. Players taking time out of their lives to play for free for the love of the game and country.

It was a very entertaining tourney this year. Congrats to Czechs.

To all those who participated:

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Thanks to all teams except Canada and USA.
Hence why they should be excluded and the tournament should be renamed the "European Championship".

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Chicagofan19

thanks to all players, who showed up and gave everything in this tournament also for the sake of us, the fans!

Chicagofan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 07:06 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan19 View Post
thanks to all players, who showed up and gave everything in this tournament also for the sake of us, the fans!

This.

And thanks to all players that came and didn't excuse themselves. Especially hats off for Russians, who obviously love their country and don't forget where they came from and where they learned all the skills that make them millionaires now. Just as Jágr said it.

Do you hear that Vrbata, Hudler and all the other 25 "too tired" or "have issues with coach" lame wannabe starlets? A kindergarten team managed what you could not, lifting the cup now and nobody even needs you now you sorry backstabbers. Serves you right. May you never wear our national team colors EVER again.

FreakyEuro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I agree. It was awesome for me to see all the players who I only get to see on TV/the internet. Most games were pretty entertaining and it was a nice experience to see games at 12:15 p. m. I really enjoyed the final (and the game for bronze) even though they both weren't amazing games. Furthermore it was awesome how good the German team played. All in all those 17 days were just awesome, lots of hockey, even more beer and nice people everywhere. Too bad that it's over right now.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Old Man Jags

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post

Absolutely correct. As a Czech I was initially very disappointed with the huge number of players who excused themselves for reasons other than genuine injury. It is an honour to wear the national team jersey, and if you cannot keep your ego in check and refuse to represent your country for pathetic reasons like you don't like the coach (especially that spoilt brat Hudler) then you do not deserve to be called up ever again. I am so pleased for the KHL and Czech league players who played their hearts out. They may not be the technically best we have, but they fought with believe and total commitment - more so than the Czech stars at the Olympics (except Vokoun and Jagr, who were outstanding in both). In the future, I would rather see young and hungry players who give their all and lose in the quarter finals than sneaking through to the semis or even the final with skilled players who don't give 120%. The coaches should not bother asking the worst of the NHL primadonnas next time.

Some people say the tournament did not have that much quality and did not enjoy it. I disagree completely. It was great to see less heralded teams like Norway, Switzerland or Denmark get some good results. It was equally good to see Germany do so well and play with lots of heart, though I do not enjoy watching their style of play. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come - it would be good to have more than just the Big 7 competing for medals in the future.

The Russians deserve credit for showing up. I did not care much for their behaviour after the game or towards the end (screaming at Klepis to stop diving as he was bleeding profusely from a foul by a Russian, etc. etc.), but the negative comments by some Russian fans against their own team are unfair. I think the Czechs wanted the gold medals more. But at least the Russian stars actually showed up - that is a hell of lot more than I can say about the Czech stars or the stars of a number of the other top teams, and Russian fans should be grateful.

The only annoyance in this tournament is the losing fans' whining about how referees and dives cost them their wins (Swedes and Russians, you know who you are)... It seems that when a team is losing, every time an opposition player falls, it must be a dive.. Even Jagr, who now can't play for two months. Ridiculous.

The refs were poor, as they are every year. There have been many, many instances over the years where the Czechs got screwed by the refs (and there was admittedly no shortage of Czech fans complaining). But it does even out over the years, an this year we got lucky (the check on Jagr was probably clean).

Old Man Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:06 PM
William H Bonney

Thank you to Systemfel once again for all the great work on the GDTs. Top notch as usual.

05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
RusskiyHockey

Great tournament indeed. As long as players and fans are interested in it, the WC should never disappear. Screw those that want to get rid of in Olympic years, they don't have to watch it if they don't want to. There are always enough quality hockey players going to make it interesting.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote