HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do we match up vs the Flyers?

Old
05-25-2010, 01:51 AM
stonecold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmcgart View Post
Very nice, thanks for scrolling through the Hawks forum. See, there are 3 places on this website where you can talk about the Flyers vs. Hawks series... in the Flyers forum, on the main forum, and on the Hawks forum. Seeing as how you're a Philly fan (or at least pulling for Philly), the main forum and Flyers forum would be a better choice.
Why? Isn't the thread about how the 2 teams matchup? So you think the best possible information in response to that question will come from just the Chicago fan base with no feedback from the Flyers fans.

stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:53 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
You don't have to. It seems that most Hawks fans are already giving the Flyers zero credit because they played weak offensive teams..........of course, while giving no credit for them beating the NHL's top 2 defensive teams in rounds 1 & 2. SJ, Nsh & Vancouver were nowhere near as stingy as Boston or NJ this year, yet the one and only thing many Chicago fans seem to focus on are the OFFENSIVE rankings of their opponents.

Bottom line is that this series has NOTHING to do with who either team has played so far. It's simply about who they are about to face.....each other. And anyone on either side that is expecting an easy sweep is just an ignorant bandwagoner who probably didn't watch their team play more than 10 games before their playoff runs this year.
Easy now. Somebody here's putting WAY too much into what some fans say on a message board.

HawksRule7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:53 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross116 View Post
:/ Well that matters when fans start playing the games- doesn't it?
Of course it won't matter to the games. Never said it would. I'm quite sure that the players and coaches on both teams are WAY too smart to think that way. Just a word of caution for anyone heading into the series with their hopes pinned on an easy cakewalk of a sweep upcoming.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Why? Isn't the thread about how the 2 teams matchup? So you think the best possible information in response to that question will come from just the Chicago fan base with no feedback from the Flyers fans.
Well if I wanted feedback from Flyers fans I'd just hop on over to the main forum and read what is going on there... or if I wanted to hear mostly from Flyers fans, i'd go the Flyers forum. Yes, it's that easy.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:56 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksRule7 View Post
Easy now. Somebody here's putting WAY too much into what some fans say on a message board.
Of course, that's true. I have no idea what most Hawks fans actually think in reality. You're right. But I won't get to Chicago, so my only indicator of the overall opinions of Hawks fans comes from the message board. Maybe that's not the overall feeling, you're right. Just sounds like it on here right now.

Old
05-25-2010, 01:58 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Well if I wanted feedback from Flyers fans I'd just hop on over to the main forum and read what is going on there... or if I wanted to hear mostly from Flyers fans, i'd go the Flyers forum. Yes, it's that easy.
Well to each their own. If you only want to hear great things about the Hawks with no diverging opinions, that's your right. But no, it's not an obligation for me not to post on the Hawks message board unless I am rooting for them or think they will sweep with their eyes closed.

Old
05-25-2010, 02:07 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Well to each their own. If you only want to hear great things about the Hawks with no diverging opinions, that's your right. But no, it's not an obligation for me not to post on the Hawks message board unless I am rooting for them or think they will sweep with their eyes closed.
Hawks fans do not all share the same views... they vary... there ARE diverging opinions. You're right, it's not an obligation for you to refrain from posting on the Hawks message board... just don't expect everyone to admit that you're right or have a valid opinion.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:13 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Hawks fans do not all share the same views... they vary... there ARE diverging opinions. You're right, it's not an obligation for you to refrain from posting on the Hawks message board... just don't expect everyone to admit that you're right or have a valid opinion.
Well, seeing as you, yourself, just said that Hawks fans don't all have the same views, I'll expect some fans to have rational viewpoints and others to simply spew "You're from the East, Hawks in 3!"

Old
05-25-2010, 02:26 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Well, seeing as you, yourself, just said that Hawks fans don't all have the same views, I'll expect some fans to have rational viewpoints and others to simply spew "You're from the East, Hawks in 3!"
It's going to be a tough series for both sides. Yes, the Hawks do possess an offensive attack that the Flyers haven't seen the likes of in the postseason up to this point. But my biggest fear is another series like what we had against Nashville in the quarters where the Hawks struggled at times with the tight defensive game that the Preds play.

HawksRule7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quote:
"We just beat the President's Trophy winners and the defending Stanley Cup Champions. The Flyers should be an easy sweep."- Every Montreal Canadiens fan prior to the ECF.

You sound just like them. Welcome to Overconfidence-ville.
We'll soon find out, won't we?

Hawks in four.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:51 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
You don't have to. It seems that most Hawks fans are already giving the Flyers zero credit because they played weak offensive teams..........of course, while giving no credit for them beating the NHL's top 2 defensive teams in rounds 1 & 2. SJ, Nsh & Vancouver were nowhere near as stingy as Boston or NJ this year, yet the one and only thing many Chicago fans seem to focus on are the OFFENSIVE rankings of their opponents.
Nashville and Vancouver were vastly superior to Boston and arguably equal or better than New Jersey even if they had been playing their best, which they weren't. And San Jose > any team in the east.

It's not just the offense, sorry.

Quote:
Bottom line is that this series has NOTHING to do with who either team has played so far. It's simply about who they are about to face.....each other. And anyone on either side that is expecting an easy sweep is just an ignorant bandwagoner who probably didn't watch their team play more than 10 games before their playoff runs this year.

Old
05-25-2010, 04:02 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Nashville and Vancouver were vastly superior to Boston and arguably equal or better than New Jersey even if they had been playing their best, which they weren't. And San Jose > any team in the east.

It's not just the offense, sorry.

SJ has always been a poor playoff team and from a defensive standpoint Vancouver & Nashville weren't close to Boston or NJ. There are no easy roads to the Finals. Hawks in 4? We shall see.

Old
05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
ugiswrong

At even-strength, Hawks will need to key in on the third defensive pairing of the Flyers. The top-4 are playing at an elite level right now, but Parent and Krajicek are very bad.

On the power play, Hawks will need to be very smart and accurate with the dump-ins, hitting the forecheck at 100% speed because the Flyers win many battles along the boards and are good in the neutral zone.

With Leighton, he's vulnerable five-hole and sometimes with rebound control, although that's gotten better.

Offensively the Flyers have three lines which can score, and two players (Briere & Giroux) who can create offense out of nothing. The other top offensive players get to good spots and have been shooting well. The defense sometimes chips in as well.

I expect this series to come down to soft goals. Whichever side gives up more of them will lose.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Marotte Marauder

One third of Philly's goals thus far have been on the PP. That will not happen in this series.

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
At even-strength, Hawks will need to key in on the third defensive pairing of the Flyers. The top-4 are playing at an elite level right now, but Parent and Krajicek are very bad.
Elite level against the craptacular offenses they've seen so far, maybe.

Quote:
On the power play, Hawks will need to be very smart and accurate with the dump-ins, hitting the forecheck at 100% speed because the Flyers win many battles along the boards and are good in the neutral zone.
The Hawks are better at both.

Quote:
With Leighton, he's vulnerable five-hole and sometimes with rebound control, although that's gotten better.
He shut out teams that couldn't score. He's not going to finish every game of this series. Who is Philadelphia using as a backup right now?

Quote:
Offensively the Flyers have three lines which can score, and two players (Briere & Giroux) who can create offense out of nothing. The other top offensive players get to good spots and have been shooting well. The defense sometimes chips in as well.
Offensively the Flyers are gruesomely outclassed, don't play the same puck-control game the Hawks do, and will probably be MIA for most of the series.

Quote:
I expect this series to come down to soft goals. Whichever side gives up more of them will lose.
I expect this series will go to the team with the most talent, like most Cup finals do. That's rather significantly lopsided towards the Hawks.

Old
05-25-2010, 07:05 AM
spudnick

morning everyone. Flyer Fan here, first off I want to say this is going to be a great series and definalty the Flyers toughest challange yet. People say that the Flyers haven't played a good team yet like the Hawks and this is true but that is the way playoffs unfolded Flyers didn't pick thier matchups but IMO handled all thier series easily, NJ in 5, MTL in 5 and after finally waking up beat the bruins 4 straight for the epic comeback. I took this off another board but here are the lines and comparisons. Feel free to flip the comparisons as you see fit. I don't watch many Hawks games so please excuse me if the comparisons are not as they should be.

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane
Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa
Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg
Burish-Madden-Eager
(Bickell, Kopecky, Fraser)

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Campbell
Sopel-Hendry
(Boynton)

Niemi
Huet

vs

Gagne-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Van Riemsdyk-Giroux-Asham
Laperriere-Betts-Powe
(Carcilo and Nodl)

Carle-Pronger
Timonen-Coburn
Parent-Krajicek

Leighton
Backlund

Comparison
Toews VS Richards?

Kane VS Carter?

Hossa VS Gagne?

P.Sharp VS D.Briere?

Byfuglien VS Hartnell?

Bolland VS JVR?

??? VS Claude Giroux?

Madden VS Laperriere?

Eager VS Betts?

Bolland VS Leino?

Keith VS Proger?

Seabrook VS Timonen?

Campbell VS Coburn?

??? VS Carle?

Niemi VS Leighton

I feel that if any team compares player for player with the Hawks, its the Flyers. Goaltending will be the question IMO. Neimi has been lights out but so has Leighton. 3shutouts, 1.45 GAA and .948 S%. Neimi is a rookie and Leighton is a Waiver pick up. It will be interesting for sure.

Cheers.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:08 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Elite level against the craptacular offenses they've seen so far, maybe.

The Hawks are better at both.

He shut out teams that couldn't score. He's not going to finish every game of this series. Who is Philadelphia using as a backup right now?

Offensively the Flyers are gruesomely outclassed, don't play the same puck-control game the Hawks do, and will probably be MIA for most of the series.

I expect this series will go to the team with the most talent, like most Cup finals do. That's rather significantly lopsided towards the Hawks.
Man, you may just be the biggest homer I've ever seen.

Old
05-25-2010, 07:15 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
morning everyone. Flyer Fan here, first off I want to say this is going to be a great series and definalty the Flyers toughest challange yet. People say that the Flyers haven't played a good team yet like the Hawks and this is true but that is the way playoffs unfolded Flyers didn't pick thier matchups but IMO handled all thier series easily, NJ in 5, MTL in 5 and after finally waking up beat the bruins 4 straight for the epic comeback. I took this off another board but here are the lines and comparisons. Feel free to flip the comparisons as you see fit. I don't watch many Hawks games so please excuse me if the comparisons are not as they should be.

Byfuglien-Toews-Kane
Brouwer-Sharp-Hossa
Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg
Burish-Madden-Eager
(Bickell, Kopecky, Fraser)

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Campbell
Sopel-Hendry
(Boynton)

Niemi
Huet

vs

Gagne-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Van Riemsdyk-Giroux-Asham
Laperriere-Betts-Powe
(Carcilo and Nodl)

Carle-Pronger
Timonen-Coburn
Parent-Krajicek

Leighton
Backlund

Comparison
Toews VS Richards?

Kane VS Carter?

Hossa VS Gagne?

P.Sharp VS D.Briere?

Byfuglien VS Hartnell?

Bolland VS JVR?

??? VS Claude Giroux?

Madden VS Laperriere?

Eager VS Betts?

Bolland VS Leino?

Keith VS Proger?

Seabrook VS Timonen?

Campbell VS Coburn?

??? VS Carle?

Niemi VS Leighton

I feel that if any team compares player for player with the Hawks, its the Flyers. Goaltending will be the question IMO. Neimi has been lights out but so has Leighton. 3shutouts, 1.45 GAA and .948 S%. Neimi is a rookie and Leighton is a Waiver pick up. It will be interesting for sure.

Cheers.
I'll save Crazy Ike some time and answer for him:

Every player on the Flyers is absolutely awful and shouldn't even be in the NHL.

The Hawks roster makes Wayne Gretzky's Oilers of the '80's look like Jr. Hockey League trash that should have been driving buses instead of playing hockey.

The Flyers will not score a single goal while being swept in 4 straight and may not register a SOG.

If Chicago does not score at least 40 goals in the series it will be a miracle.

Flyers and 9 other teams will drop out of the league after seeing how embarrassingly outclassed they are by the Hawks in this series.

The entire Eatern Conference will then be shut down for being so inferior and the league will be renamed the NBL (National Blackhawks League.)

Did I hit all the key points you normally make Ike?

Old
05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Man, you may just be the biggest homer I've ever seen.
Wouldn't you expect that in the Hawks board? Maybe you should listen to previous poster's advice: stick to the main and Flyers board.
And that should be better for your blood pressure and not collecting infractions.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
Wouldn't you expect that in the Hawks board? Maybe you should listen to previous poster's advice: stick to the main and Flyers board.
And that should be better for your blood pressure and not collecting infractions.
Not really. The Flyers board is more than happy to discuss a series matchup without being complete homers. Even you must read that guys posts and be like

On paper these teams matchup, no matter what fan base is looking at it. How it plays out on the ice - we will see on Saturday.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:25 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
Nope. Just because you root for your team and love them doesn't mean you have to lose all rational thought. There are many Hawks fans who don't do that. Are you actually saying I should assume all Hawks fans are incapable of objective thought or intelligent discussion? I would submit that you're wrong about that.

Old
05-25-2010, 09:34 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I don't think Giroux is THAT much better offensively, but Versteeg plays no defense and is a horrible board player so Giroux gets the nod. I'd also agree that Carter is better than Sharp, but you have to be smoking some strong crack if you think Gagne = Hossa. I also think Kane has a greater ability to impact a game than Briere, as does Buff (playoff Buff is definately > Hartnell)
WRONG! Versteeg has played on the Bolland checking line that effectively shutdown the Sedins and then the Thornton line. He also is a regular contributor on the PK. Versteeg also is a very gritty player who's only problem along the boards is that he outweighed by his opponent - sometimes considerably.

I think most fans, myself included, would give the nod to Giroux if forced to pick between the two, but Versteeg is a much more well rounded player than you describe him.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Nope. Just because you root for your team and love them doesn't mean you have to lose all rational thought. There are many Hawks fans who don't do that. Are you actually saying I should assume all Hawks fans are incapable of objective thought or intelligent discussion? I would submit that you're wrong about that.
I would submit that the fact you believe an opinion contrary to yours can't be "objective" indicates you lack any tolerance yourself.

I'm sorry, but sitting back and giving a calm, objective view of the two teams has led me to my conclusion. I do not feel the need to call you a "homer" just because you disagree with them, and I especially do not come to your home board to do it.

Frankly, coming onto a team's board and proceeding to accuse anyone who doesn't agree with you as being a "homer" reeks of troll. Should we let a mod decide, or will you desist your personal attacks, remove yourself back to your home board, or both?

Old
05-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
On paper these teams matchup, no matter what fan base is looking at it.
They do?

Chi: 52-22-8, 3.20 G/G, 2.48 GA/G, 1.2 5v5 G/A
Phi: 41-35-6, 2.83 G/G, 2.71 GA/G, 0.97 5v5 G/A

On paper, they don't match up at all, as would be expected by the #2 team going up against the #14 team. And for any injury excuse the Flyers might have used, the Hawks can simply point to using Huet for half the season.

Quote:
How it plays out on the ice - we will see on Saturday.
And the rest of the series. I am not sure the Hawks will win the first game. I expect them to win every game afterwards. Regardless of people's individual player comparisons, the Hawks' Detroit style puck possession game and vastly superior defense will rule the day. I suspect Leighton will be pulled at least once, maybe twice during the series.

Old
05-25-2010, 11:47 AM
DMadd

Hawks fans keep talking about the horrible offense the Flyers faced. I forgot Kovy, Parise, Elias, Bergeron, Savard, Cammaleri, Gionta, Gomez, and Plekanec suck. None of them can skate, none of them can shoot, all have stone hands, and can't pass to save their lives.

The horrible offense the Flyers have also sucks, Richards, Carter, Gagne, Breire, Giroux, Leino, and Van Riemsdyk all have stone hands, all suck at skating, all turn the puck over on every pass, and none can shoot.

Also you keep saying that the Flyers on role 4 D-man, and for the most part that is true, but Parent and Krajicek have been getting better the last few games. and Pronger has more points then Keith.

Also I just get a feeling that most Hawks fans think that Giroux is going to be a none factor. Can some Hawk fans just tell me if I am right?

DMadd is offline   Reply With Quote