HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

05/25/10 - Dean Lombardi On NHL Live

Old
05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

Dean Lombardi was a guest on NHL Live on 05/25/10. Check it out!

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:20 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Interesting stuff! I like how he seemed to be torn on the issue of free agents this summer, just as the fans are. Keep the team together or risk losing players while adding some free agents.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:48 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Thanks for posting!

My dtv is on the fritz dag nab it!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Either he really is torn, or he is just playing it like a savvy GM does.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:59 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Either he really is torn, or he is just playing it like a savvy GM does.
Yeah I have no doubt he already knows what he plans to do but it sounds like he has put a lot of thought into it. As expected, of course.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
After listening to this I doubt Dean signs that big free agent. Probably trade for someone in the 4, maybe 5 million range.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

I know all of Lombardi's summer moves, I just don't feel like telling anybody.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
After listening to this I doubt Dean signs that big free agent. Probably trade for someone in the 4, maybe 5 million range.
If that's what happens, i'll probably start blaming myself. Teams I like have a history of not making the "big move". Which is why they've won a combined 1 championship in the last 22 years.

Old
05-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
Sadly I agree with you, hope I am wrong but its going to be hard to add someone when you are already paying Smyth and Kopitar almost $14 mill for next season...like it or not that is our 1-2 punch up front.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:18 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Sadly I agree with you, hope I am wrong but its going to be hard to add someone when you are already paying Smyth and Kopitar almost $14 mill for next season...like it or not that is our 1-2 punch up front.
Well, lord knows we won't be winning anything consequential for the next 2 seasons if that is the case. Smyth is on the downside of his career and is really a 2nd liner on a Cup-calibre team. Kopitar - great though he is - will probably never be the focal point offensively on a Cup team. I reckon he is more of a robin than a batman.

I appreciate the constraints caused by the cap but if Lombardi wants to be the best (instead of merely good), he is going to have to gamble at some point on high priced firepower up front. Stanley Cup winners devoid of true superstar forward(s) pretty much don't exist.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
Well, lord knows we won't be winning anything consequential for the next 2 seasons is that is the case. Smyth is on the downside of his career and is really a 2nd liner on a Cup-calibre team. Kopitar - great though he is - will probably never the focal point offensively on a Cup calibre team. I reckon he is more of a robin than a batman.

I appreciate the constraints caused by the cap but if Lombardi wants to be the best (instead of just good), he is going to have to gamble at some point on high priced firepower up front. Stanley Cup winners devoid of true superstars up front pretty much don't exist
this.

Old
05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
this.
The Penguins and Red Wings say "hello"... oh wait, nevermind.

Old
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
The Penguins and Red Wings say "hello"... oh wait, nevermind.
Yeah... the Wings never won a Cup by stockpiling Robitaille and Hull and Hasek.

They never got to the finals after signing Hossa for a year.

As far as the Penguins are concerned, I must have missed the part where we had two top 2 picks for you to be comparing them to us.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Every Stanley Cup champion in the last decade has had at least 1 prolific goal-scorer, except NJD who had arguably the best goaltender ever.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Every Stanley Cup champion in the last decade has had at least 1 prolific goal-scorer, except NJD who had arguably the best goaltender ever.
They still had some productive players up front with the likes of Elias, Gionta, Langenbrunner, Gomez, Nieuwendyk, then you add Niedermayer, Stevens and Rafalski to your top three on the blueline, that is a team that is damn well balanced.

They even had the best checking line in hockey with Madden, Pandolfo and Brylin.

New Jersey's top six had a good combination of skill, speed, and grit. The Kings are lacking some skill in their top six outside of Kopitar and Brown. Smyth, Stoll and Williams bring some grit but they lack speed. Having an additional playmaker and skillful player will do wonders in addressing team depth. Hopefully Schenn and Loktionov will fill those positions in the future.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

As far as the Penguins are concerned, I must have missed the part where we had two top 2 picks for you to be comparing them to us.
I see you missed the sarcasm in my sarcasm.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:14 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I see you missed the sarcasm in my sarcasm.
Indeed I did.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:41 AM
nki

Quote:
I know all of Lombardi's summer moves, I just don't feel like telling anybody.
Well we know its summer moves now.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Lead Role in a Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
I appreciate the constraints caused by the cap but if Lombardi wants to be the best (instead of merely good), he is going to have to gamble at some point on high priced firepower up front. Stanley Cup winners devoid of true superstar forward(s) pretty much don't exist.
Agreed, but do you think it is worth doing the gamble during this upcoming free agency? Are there any batmans out there that will make the Kings a contender? Personally, I don't think there is.

I don't see Kovalchuk putting the Kings over the top, and not Marleau either. Either one would be nice, but not at a ridiculous price. The quality of these two players is not enough to take a chance, unless cap friendly which is what making this unlikely imo.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:52 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

inability to recognize sarcasm aside, Steve Yzerman was drafted in 1983. he played his first season in 1983-1984 at the age of 18, and didn't win his first Stanley Cup with what became THE "Detroit Red Wings" until 1997 at the age of 31... that's 13 years to you and me.

you guys have GOT to stop putting the cart before the horse. that's why i have made those "ridiculous" posts in the past about things like Ilya Kovalchuck not necessarily being a better fit than someone like Frolov... for instance.

players like that are just stupid ideas until you are in a position - and i MEAN position, as in an actual contender and not just merely one of those "once the playoff starts, anything can happen" teams - to fight for the cup... and even then you have to be cautious about who you bring in - *cough* Dany Heatley *cough*

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Listen to wabwat or PSP, or K17 or SOMEONE. This has all gone down before, and it's all history.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Yeah, a 6MM tutor who played Caspar in the playoffs doesnt strike fear into the hearts of opposing teams or coaches.

Really sounds more like a 1-5 punch!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Lead Role in a Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
inability to recognize sarcasm aside, Steve Yzerman was drafted in 1983. he played his first season in 1983-1984 at the age of 18, and didn't win his first Stanley Cup with what became THE "Detroit Red Wings" until 1997 at the age of 31... that's 13 years to you and me.

you guys have GOT to stop putting the cart before the horse. that's why i have made those "ridiculous" posts in the past about things like Ilya Kovalchuck not necessarily being a better fit than someone like Frolov... for instance.

players like that are just stupid ideas until you are in a position - and i MEAN position, as in an actual contender and not just merely one of those "once the playoff starts, anything can happen" teams - to fight for the cup... and even then you have to be cautious about who you bring in - *cough* Dany Heatley *cough*
Very good post.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post

I had a long discussion with Jim Fox at FF last year. He really wanted Heatley and said those exact words, "Once the playoffs start anything can happen." This kind of thinking has been too prevelant in the Kings' organization for much too long. I just asked him if he wanted to be a one-year wonder or take a shot at being the Detroit Red Wings for a decade, because I wanted nothing to do with Heatley.

Maybe, just maybe a guy like Loktionov is a forward that is dynamic enough to add that little bit of spice we need up front in a seaon or two. I think right now the team is ahead of schedule, but this team isn't going to win a cup next season even with the addition of Kovalchuk IMHO.

One thing I think we might see now that the foundation seems to be in place, is Lombardi taking a little more risk in the draft trying to land a hidden gem up front that has a little offensive flair to his game.

I was anticipating a 8-10 finish last season, and finishing out of the playoffs would have had the usual crowd here calling for Lombardi's head. Stay the course people. I still think a trade with a team that is struggling with the cap for a young forward that is playing well in the NHL today makes the most sense if Lombardi is going to try and hit the FF button. The more I see of Versteeg, the more I like him. Is he an upgrade over Oscar Moller? Probably. Could he be had for Moller and a pick? Probably.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I had a long discussion with Jim Fox at FF last year. He really wanted Heatley and said those exact words, "Once the playoffs start anything can happen." This kind of thinking has been too prevelant in the Kings' organization for much too long.
And Fox's propaganda is the main reason that it's so embraced by so many fans.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote