Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Wild picks (Mod Note Post #51)

Old
05-30-2010, 03:10 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Since we're getting closer to draft time and more and more mock drafts are being posted (I have one coming up), I feel that it might be better to just have them in one thread so they don't get lost in the shuffle. This post is a quick link for all of them - please respond if I'm missing one.

NM Squirts [post #1]
CircularTheory [post #50]:
GopherState [post #78]:
ikelechien [post #85]:

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?

Last edited by GopherState: 06-06-2010 at 01:23 AM.
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:42 PM
BLBarmada

I thinks that if Nino is there at 9 then we no doubt add him.Its tough because we need everything,if Nino isnt available at # 9 then Jack Campbell is the obvious choice, he's a bluechip prospect and the potential franchise goalie it might seem stupid but recent history in the west shows that building from the back is the way to go.

Here's what the back could look like in 3 years time

Barker-Burns
Cuma-Scandella
Zidlicky

Campbell
Hackett

I know that we would have a hell of a time scoring but that's a strong base.
There's also the possibilty of trading up to select Hall/Seguin and CF isnt afraid to take a russian.

My choices for #9
Nino
Campbell
Skinner

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
I thinks that if Nino is there at 9 then we no doubt add him.Its tough because we need everything,if Nino isnt available at # 9 then Jack Campbell is the obvious choice, he's a bluechip prospect and the potential franchise goalie it might seem stupid but recent history in the west shows that building from the back is the way to go.

Barker-Burns
Cuma-Scandella
Zidlicky

Campbell
Hackett

There's also the possibilty of trading up to select Hall/Seguin and CF isnt afraid to take a russian.

My choices for #9
Nino
Campbell
Skinner
I disagree with selecting a goaltender so early. Especially when you don't see most of them until they are 23 or 24 yrs old. I agree with Nino and then Skinner and Granlund. I have heard more than one person state that Grandlund's recent play at the U18 tournament may have cemented him as the 3rd best in this draft. Besides this team is desperate for offense and has plenty of goaltending already. Backstrom/Harding/Hackett; I would wait and get another netminding prospect in a later round.

You could see a top 10 like this:

#1-Seguin
#2-Hall
#3-Granlund
#4-Gormley
#5-Fowler
#6-Gudbrandson
#7-Connolly
#8-Nino
#9-Skinner
#10-Forbort

Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 05-30-2010 at 11:08 PM.
North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:21 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post

Barker-Burns
Cuma-Scandella
Zidlicky

Campbell
Hackett

My choices for #9
Nino
Campbell
Skinner
Unless you see Campbell as the BPA at 9 (which is in my opinion a huuuuge stretch and something that could be used as trade fodder), there is no reason to select a goalie that early; especially for a team whose unknown first two picks are easily the top two prospects.

Old
05-31-2010, 06:09 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Unless you see Campbell as the BPA at 9 (which is in my opinion a huuuuge stretch and something that could be used as trade fodder), there is no reason to select a goalie that early; especially for a team whose unknown first two picks are easily the top two prospects.
You're right about 9 being a stretch for Campbell but if he had of played Major Junior this year then I think he would be ranked higher, also I have my heart set on Nino. If he's not there at 9 then we could move down and acquire another pick and take Campbell or someone else at around 15, I like building from the back a to have two guys who could someday be #1's would be great. If Nino isn't there at 9 we could take Skinner but I think that this years draft has 5 or 6 who could go in the top 10 but wont cause the others have stepped their game up.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I'll be honest, I'm not impressed with Campbell.

My choices are:
1. Connolly
2. Nino
3. Etem
4. Skinner

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I'll be honest, I'm not impressed with Campbell.

My choices are:
1. Connolly
2. Nino
3. Etem
4. Skinner
I agree with you here on your choices, but I think I'd switch Etem and Skinner. Tough call though. What does everything of Johansen?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I agree with you here on your choices, but I think I'd switch Etem and Skinner. Tough call though. What does everything of Johansen?
Skinner and Etem are close but the reason I chose Etem is because while Skinner is a little undersized and his skating isn't the best, Etem is fast and can grind it out as well as scoring goals

Old
05-31-2010, 11:49 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Skinner and Etem are close but the reason I chose Etem is because while Skinner is a little undersized and his skating isn't the best, Etem is fast and can grind it out as well as scoring goals
Having not seen either of the two play besides highlights, it would be a tough call. Most people seem to think Etem will go in the #15-17 range. I hope if Nino or Connolly aren't there, we draft Granlund (provided he's still available.) I'd like to see us drop back if only Johansen, Etem, or Skinner is available.

Old
05-31-2010, 10:54 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I think I like Johansen more than the general consensus and would be happy if the Wild chose him

Old
05-31-2010, 11:01 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
My take if they are convinced Etem is the scorer they want; look for them to acquire another pick and move down 3-5 picks. I would personally do whatever was necessary to move up 2-4 picks and take Nino.

Also, don't believe what you hear about Skinner's speed, he was a figure skater until a couple of years ago and was very good at it. Now I know just enough about power skating to be dangerous but figure skating and power skating are all about edges and edge control which tells me his skating is fine.

Old
05-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I think I like Johansen more than the general consensus and would be happy if the Wild chose him
I would be very happy if we picked Johansen but I prefer to get a goal scorer than a playmaker.

either way, there are alot of talented forwards available at 9th and I would be happy to select any of them

Old
05-31-2010, 11:42 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I would be very happy if we picked Johansen but I prefer to get a goal scorer than a playmaker.

either way, there are alot of talented forwards available at 9th and I would be happy to select any of them
I just hope we don't take a defenseman as a couple of mocks have us taking Forbort at 9, not sure why people think we will take him?

Old
05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
WestCoastWild

I'll just be happy if the Wild take Granlund at #9, he's the player i've targeted all season, Having Granlund and Koivu in the middle for the next bunch of years makes me happier about the future.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:26 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

I figure at #9 take the BPA and don't worry about Johansen being a playmaker since he's not going to being playing in the NHL for a few years.

Quote:
I just hope we don't take a defenseman as a couple of mocks have us taking Forbort at 9, not sure why people think we will take him?
He's a good defenseman and more importantly, he's a Minnesota-born player. Seriously:

Quote:
9. Minnesota Wild - Derek Forbort - Defenceman - USA U-18 (USHL)
Reason: ...so the arguable BPA in this situation PLUS his home state, come on how can Minnesota not love this idea.

Old
06-01-2010, 01:13 AM
mnwildgophers

He's a Minnesotan therefore we will overpay for him. That seems to be reasoning a lot of times, I don't get it, but whatever. We don't CARE! We just want to win.

The more I think about it, someone brought it up that we had picked a Finn in each of the last 5 drafts, I think we'll take one of Granlund or Pulkkinen. Or even a Granlund/Pulkkinen combo. That'd be nice to see, but I really do think that Granlund is going to be good.

Old
06-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I figure at #9 take the BPA and don't worry about Johansen being a playmaker since he's not going to being playing in the NHL for a few years.
Well, in my view, we should draft to fill holes in the prospect pool, not the pro roster, but that just so happens to be the same problem, a lack of a goal scorer.

BPA is generally a good idea but I think you should have a well-balanced prospect pool. Of course, if there's a d-man available thats a tier above all the prospects left, then of course pick the d-man, but if theres a wide selection of prospects thats even in skill, picking to fill a hole would be a good idea.

In the 2010 draft, after guys like Nino and Connolly, there's a wide even spread of prospects so filling out a hole wouldn't be a bad idea (no giggles please...)

Old
06-01-2010, 01:26 AM
WestCoastWild

Quote:
He's a Minnesotan therefore we will overpay for him. That seems to be reasoning a lot of times, I don't get it, but whatever. We don't CARE! We just want to win.
Looks like being a Minnesotan really worked out for the best for Nick Leddy. I'm all for homegrown talent (seeing as I was going for Jordan last draft) but If theres better players out there and a better need for our prospect pool and holes than screw the minnesotan thing. You don't see Ducks and Kings always drafting California players.

Quote:
The more I think about it, someone brought it up that we had picked a Finn in each of the last 5 drafts, I think we'll take one of Granlund or Pulkkinen. Or even a Granlund/Pulkkinen combo. That'd be nice to see, but I really do think that Granlund is going to be good.
I honestly think this the best route. Granlund will considered possibly the 3rd best overall talent in the draft and possible chance to get him at #9 is a steal. Getting Pulkkinen in the 2nd round would be a find as hes a big high risk/high reward player with his scoring talent.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:35 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
If some scouts think he is the BPA at that position we take him. There is no position right now that Minnesota can't say, not to take. We need help at every position. Defensemen also can take a bit to develop. I had Leddy pegged around 5-6 years. Forbert could take that long and our team could be insanely different by then.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:10 AM
mnwildgophers

I realize that Forbort may be the best player, but I think we do need to draft a forward. I guess teams get into trouble when they start to draft on needs more than BPA, but we'll have to wait and see how the top 8 shakes out.

I'm all for homegrown talent, but we shouldn't take a guy just because he's a Minnesotan, that's all I'm saying. We take the guy that helps us the most, we just need quality prospects. I'd personally like to see a goal-scoring forward being picked, that's all.

Old
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Well, in my view, we should draft to fill holes in the prospect pool, not the pro roster, but that just so happens to be the same problem, a lack of a goal scorer.

BPA is generally a good idea but I think you should have a well-balanced prospect pool. Of course, if there's a d-man available thats a tier above all the prospects left, then of course pick the d-man, but if theres a wide selection of prospects thats even in skill, picking to fill a hole would be a good idea.

In the 2010 draft, after guys like Nino and Connolly, there's a wide even spread of prospects so filling out a hole wouldn't be a bad idea (no giggles please...)
That's what she said.

At Minnesota's position, the prospect pool is so bad that it doesn't matter about filling a need. What matters is getting the best player in there to start . I mean, if it wasn't for Lemaire sitting down Gillies for half the year (and even now his stock is dropping a lot), the team's top prospect up front last year would have been a seventh-round pick playing in the USHL. Beggars cannot be choosers.

Old
06-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm pretty low on Johansen until someone can convince me he's hot James Sheppard v.2.

Not sure how Forbort would be better than several forwards, but whatever. The Wild haven't drafted a good player in seven years now, so I'm just going to assume they mess it up again.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I will say that I likely won't be to disappointed with really any selection outside of maybe taking Jack Campbell. I'm just not a fan of selecting goaltenders in the first round, let alone top 10.

As far as I'm concerned, the guys you look at being the most sure things, high end scorers, and big defensive prospects will be off the board. By the time the Wild's selection will come up, there's going to be a large group of prospects that could go anywhere in the next 10 selections. I think there's going to be a considerable amount of development and luck to see a lot of those players to pan out.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
North Metro Peewees

[QUOTE=this providence;26085607]I will say that I likely won't be to disappointed with really any selection outside of maybe taking Jack Campbell. I'm just not a fan of selecting goaltenders in the first round, let alone top 10.

As far as I'm concerned, the guys you look at being the most sure things, high end scorers, and big defensive prospects will be off the board. [B

According the EJ McGuire there are a number of prospects who have high end offensive potential and as many as 15 players could play challenge for NHL jobs this fall.

The draft is loaded with players who have high end offensive potential; however, after Seguin and Hall you can put the next dozen or so players are very close to each other. There are a number of players who project as top pairing defenseman and top 6 forwards. I'm almost certain the Wild will end up with one of the following players Grandlund, Skinner, Nino, Connelly and Johanson who are all considered high end offensive players.

Old
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Realistically, I believe Connolly and Nino will be long gone.

Grandlund size scares me but his production doesn't. I think it's fairly likely someone takes a chance on him before he falls to the Wild. And just out of pure speculation, I'm not so sure the Wild would be all that interested considering they passed twice on Schroeder and they seemed like similar prospects given where we currently are at this time this year compared to last.

Skinner has the scoring ability that you drool over from a center. However, with his skating and defense I just don't think he can play that position in the NHL. I think he's a guy that's going to need to learn to play much bigger than he is in order to get the scoring chances he got in the OHL. I think he's destined to be a fairly long term project at wing. I see Skinner as a rather far bet to being a sure thing.

Johansen's rise really scares me and I'd be very wary about how much Nino had to do with it. Great frame to build around as a center. But every time I've watched this kid I've been thoroughly underwhelmed. He's very average in all zones. I'd probably be more inclined to go in really any other direction than Johansen if he's available. Probably one of the defensemen that slipped or even a Russian (*gasp!).

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote