HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Wild picks (Mod Note Post #51)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2010, 03:10 PM
  #51
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
Since we're getting closer to draft time and more and more mock drafts are being posted (I have one coming up), I feel that it might be better to just have them in one thread so they don't get lost in the shuffle. This post is a quick link for all of them - please respond if I'm missing one.

NM Squirts [post #1]
CircularTheory [post #50]:
GopherState [post #78]:
ikelechien [post #85]:

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?

Last edited by GopherState: 06-06-2010 at 01:23 AM.
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:42 PM
  #52
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
I thinks that if Nino is there at 9 then we no doubt add him.Its tough because we need everything,if Nino isnt available at # 9 then Jack Campbell is the obvious choice, he's a bluechip prospect and the potential franchise goalie it might seem stupid but recent history in the west shows that building from the back is the way to go.

Here's what the back could look like in 3 years time

Barker-Burns
Cuma-Scandella
Zidlicky

Campbell
Hackett

I know that we would have a hell of a time scoring but that's a strong base.
There's also the possibilty of trading up to select Hall/Seguin and CF isnt afraid to take a russian.

My choices for #9
Nino
Campbell
Skinner

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
  #53
North Metro Peewees
Registered User
 
North Metro Peewees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly Stupid
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
I thinks that if Nino is there at 9 then we no doubt add him.Its tough because we need everything,if Nino isnt available at # 9 then Jack Campbell is the obvious choice, he's a bluechip prospect and the potential franchise goalie it might seem stupid but recent history in the west shows that building from the back is the way to go.

Here's what the back could look like in 3 years time

Barker-Burns
Cuma-Scandella
Zidlicky

Campbell
Hackett

I know that we would have a hell of a time scoring but that's a strong base.
There's also the possibilty of trading up to select Hall/Seguin and CF isnt afraid to take a russian.

My choices for #9
Nino
Campbell
Skinner
I disagree with selecting a goaltender so early. Especially when you don't see most of them until they are 23 or 24 yrs old. I agree with Nino and then Skinner and Granlund. I have heard more than one person state that Grandlund's recent play at the U18 tournament may have cemented him as the 3rd best in this draft. Besides this team is desperate for offense and has plenty of goaltending already. Backstrom/Harding/Hackett; I would wait and get another netminding prospect in a later round.

You could see a top 10 like this:

#1-Seguin
#2-Hall
#3-Granlund
#4-Gormley
#5-Fowler
#6-Gudbrandson
#7-Connolly
#8-Nino
#9-Skinner
#10-Forbort


Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 05-30-2010 at 11:08 PM.
North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:21 PM
  #54
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
I thinks that if Nino is there at 9 then we no doubt add him.Its tough because we need everything,if Nino isnt available at # 9 then Jack Campbell is the obvious choice, he's a bluechip prospect and the potential franchise goalie it might seem stupid but recent history in the west shows that building from the back is the way to go.

Here's what the back could look like in 3 years time

Barker-Burns
Cuma-Scandella
Zidlicky

Campbell
Hackett

I know that we would have a hell of a time scoring but that's a strong base.
There's also the possibilty of trading up to select Hall/Seguin and CF isnt afraid to take a russian.

My choices for #9
Nino
Campbell
Skinner
Unless you see Campbell as the BPA at 9 (which is in my opinion a huuuuge stretch and something that could be used as trade fodder), there is no reason to select a goalie that early; especially for a team whose unknown first two picks are easily the top two prospects.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 06:09 AM
  #55
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Unless you see Campbell as the BPA at 9 (which is in my opinion a huuuuge stretch and something that could be used as trade fodder), there is no reason to select a goalie that early; especially for a team whose unknown first two picks are easily the top two prospects.
You're right about 9 being a stretch for Campbell but if he had of played Major Junior this year then I think he would be ranked higher, also I have my heart set on Nino. If he's not there at 9 then we could move down and acquire another pick and take Campbell or someone else at around 15, I like building from the back a to have two guys who could someday be #1's would be great. If Nino isn't there at 9 we could take Skinner but I think that this years draft has 5 or 6 who could go in the top 10 but wont cause the others have stepped their game up.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:44 AM
  #56
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,099
vCash: 500
I'll be honest, I'm not impressed with Campbell.

My choices are:
1. Connolly
2. Nino
3. Etem
4. Skinner

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
  #57
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I'll be honest, I'm not impressed with Campbell.

My choices are:
1. Connolly
2. Nino
3. Etem
4. Skinner
I agree with you here on your choices, but I think I'd switch Etem and Skinner. Tough call though. What does everything of Johansen?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
  #58
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I agree with you here on your choices, but I think I'd switch Etem and Skinner. Tough call though. What does everything of Johansen?
Skinner and Etem are close but the reason I chose Etem is because while Skinner is a little undersized and his skating isn't the best, Etem is fast and can grind it out as well as scoring goals

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:49 AM
  #59
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Skinner and Etem are close but the reason I chose Etem is because while Skinner is a little undersized and his skating isn't the best, Etem is fast and can grind it out as well as scoring goals
Having not seen either of the two play besides highlights, it would be a tough call. Most people seem to think Etem will go in the #15-17 range. I hope if Nino or Connolly aren't there, we draft Granlund (provided he's still available.) I'd like to see us drop back if only Johansen, Etem, or Skinner is available.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:54 PM
  #60
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I agree with you here on your choices, but I think I'd switch Etem and Skinner. Tough call though. What does everything of Johansen?
I think I like Johansen more than the general consensus and would be happy if the Wild chose him

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:01 PM
  #61
North Metro Peewees
Registered User
 
North Metro Peewees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly Stupid
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Skinner and Etem are close but the reason I chose Etem is because while Skinner is a little undersized and his skating isn't the best, Etem is fast and can grind it out as well as scoring goals
My take if they are convinced Etem is the scorer they want; look for them to acquire another pick and move down 3-5 picks. I would personally do whatever was necessary to move up 2-4 picks and take Nino.

Also, don't believe what you hear about Skinner's speed, he was a figure skater until a couple of years ago and was very good at it. Now I know just enough about power skating to be dangerous but figure skating and power skating are all about edges and edge control which tells me his skating is fine.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:29 PM
  #62
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I think I like Johansen more than the general consensus and would be happy if the Wild chose him
I would be very happy if we picked Johansen but I prefer to get a goal scorer than a playmaker.

either way, there are alot of talented forwards available at 9th and I would be happy to select any of them

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:42 PM
  #63
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I would be very happy if we picked Johansen but I prefer to get a goal scorer than a playmaker.

either way, there are alot of talented forwards available at 9th and I would be happy to select any of them
I just hope we don't take a defenseman as a couple of mocks have us taking Forbort at 9, not sure why people think we will take him?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
  #64
WestCoastWild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
I'll just be happy if the Wild take Granlund at #9, he's the player i've targeted all season, Having Granlund and Koivu in the middle for the next bunch of years makes me happier about the future.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:26 AM
  #65
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I would be very happy if we picked Johansen but I prefer to get a goal scorer than a playmaker.

either way, there are alot of talented forwards available at 9th and I would be happy to select any of them
I figure at #9 take the BPA and don't worry about Johansen being a playmaker since he's not going to being playing in the NHL for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I just hope we don't take a defenseman as a couple of mocks have us taking Forbort at 9, not sure why people think we will take him?
He's a good defenseman and more importantly, he's a Minnesota-born player. Seriously:

Quote:
9. Minnesota Wild - Derek Forbort - Defenceman - USA U-18 (USHL)
Reason: ...so the arguable BPA in this situation PLUS his home state, come on how can Minnesota not love this idea.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:13 AM
  #66
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
He's a Minnesotan therefore we will overpay for him. That seems to be reasoning a lot of times, I don't get it, but whatever. We don't CARE! We just want to win.

The more I think about it, someone brought it up that we had picked a Finn in each of the last 5 drafts, I think we'll take one of Granlund or Pulkkinen. Or even a Granlund/Pulkkinen combo. That'd be nice to see, but I really do think that Granlund is going to be good.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:20 AM
  #67
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I figure at #9 take the BPA and don't worry about Johansen being a playmaker since he's not going to being playing in the NHL for a few years.
Well, in my view, we should draft to fill holes in the prospect pool, not the pro roster, but that just so happens to be the same problem, a lack of a goal scorer.

BPA is generally a good idea but I think you should have a well-balanced prospect pool. Of course, if there's a d-man available thats a tier above all the prospects left, then of course pick the d-man, but if theres a wide selection of prospects thats even in skill, picking to fill a hole would be a good idea.

In the 2010 draft, after guys like Nino and Connolly, there's a wide even spread of prospects so filling out a hole wouldn't be a bad idea (no giggles please...)

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:26 AM
  #68
WestCoastWild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
He's a Minnesotan therefore we will overpay for him. That seems to be reasoning a lot of times, I don't get it, but whatever. We don't CARE! We just want to win.
Looks like being a Minnesotan really worked out for the best for Nick Leddy. I'm all for homegrown talent (seeing as I was going for Jordan last draft) but If theres better players out there and a better need for our prospect pool and holes than screw the minnesotan thing. You don't see Ducks and Kings always drafting California players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
The more I think about it, someone brought it up that we had picked a Finn in each of the last 5 drafts, I think we'll take one of Granlund or Pulkkinen. Or even a Granlund/Pulkkinen combo. That'd be nice to see, but I really do think that Granlund is going to be good.
I honestly think this the best route. Granlund will considered possibly the 3rd best overall talent in the draft and possible chance to get him at #9 is a steal. Getting Pulkkinen in the 2nd round would be a find as hes a big high risk/high reward player with his scoring talent.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:35 AM
  #69
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I just hope we don't take a defenseman as a couple of mocks have us taking Forbort at 9, not sure why people think we will take him?
If some scouts think he is the BPA at that position we take him. There is no position right now that Minnesota can't say, not to take. We need help at every position. Defensemen also can take a bit to develop. I had Leddy pegged around 5-6 years. Forbert could take that long and our team could be insanely different by then.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:10 AM
  #70
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
I realize that Forbort may be the best player, but I think we do need to draft a forward. I guess teams get into trouble when they start to draft on needs more than BPA, but we'll have to wait and see how the top 8 shakes out.

I'm all for homegrown talent, but we shouldn't take a guy just because he's a Minnesotan, that's all I'm saying. We take the guy that helps us the most, we just need quality prospects. I'd personally like to see a goal-scoring forward being picked, that's all.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
  #71
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Well, in my view, we should draft to fill holes in the prospect pool, not the pro roster, but that just so happens to be the same problem, a lack of a goal scorer.

BPA is generally a good idea but I think you should have a well-balanced prospect pool. Of course, if there's a d-man available thats a tier above all the prospects left, then of course pick the d-man, but if theres a wide selection of prospects thats even in skill, picking to fill a hole would be a good idea.

In the 2010 draft, after guys like Nino and Connolly, there's a wide even spread of prospects so filling out a hole wouldn't be a bad idea (no giggles please...)
That's what she said.

At Minnesota's position, the prospect pool is so bad that it doesn't matter about filling a need. What matters is getting the best player in there to start . I mean, if it wasn't for Lemaire sitting down Gillies for half the year (and even now his stock is dropping a lot), the team's top prospect up front last year would have been a seventh-round pick playing in the USHL. Beggars cannot be choosers.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:06 PM
  #72
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,007
vCash: 500
I'm pretty low on Johansen until someone can convince me he's hot James Sheppard v.2.

Not sure how Forbort would be better than several forwards, but whatever. The Wild haven't drafted a good player in seven years now, so I'm just going to assume they mess it up again.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
  #73
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,903
vCash: 500
I will say that I likely won't be to disappointed with really any selection outside of maybe taking Jack Campbell. I'm just not a fan of selecting goaltenders in the first round, let alone top 10.

As far as I'm concerned, the guys you look at being the most sure things, high end scorers, and big defensive prospects will be off the board. By the time the Wild's selection will come up, there's going to be a large group of prospects that could go anywhere in the next 10 selections. I think there's going to be a considerable amount of development and luck to see a lot of those players to pan out.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
  #74
North Metro Peewees
Registered User
 
North Metro Peewees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly Stupid
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=this providence;26085607]I will say that I likely won't be to disappointed with really any selection outside of maybe taking Jack Campbell. I'm just not a fan of selecting goaltenders in the first round, let alone top 10.

As far as I'm concerned, the guys you look at being the most sure things, high end scorers, and big defensive prospects will be off the board. [B

According the EJ McGuire there are a number of prospects who have high end offensive potential and as many as 15 players could play challenge for NHL jobs this fall.

The draft is loaded with players who have high end offensive potential; however, after Seguin and Hall you can put the next dozen or so players are very close to each other. There are a number of players who project as top pairing defenseman and top 6 forwards. I'm almost certain the Wild will end up with one of the following players Grandlund, Skinner, Nino, Connelly and Johanson who are all considered high end offensive players.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
  #75
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,903
vCash: 500
Realistically, I believe Connolly and Nino will be long gone.

Grandlund size scares me but his production doesn't. I think it's fairly likely someone takes a chance on him before he falls to the Wild. And just out of pure speculation, I'm not so sure the Wild would be all that interested considering they passed twice on Schroeder and they seemed like similar prospects given where we currently are at this time this year compared to last.

Skinner has the scoring ability that you drool over from a center. However, with his skating and defense I just don't think he can play that position in the NHL. I think he's a guy that's going to need to learn to play much bigger than he is in order to get the scoring chances he got in the OHL. I think he's destined to be a fairly long term project at wing. I see Skinner as a rather far bet to being a sure thing.

Johansen's rise really scares me and I'd be very wary about how much Nino had to do with it. Great frame to build around as a center. But every time I've watched this kid I've been thoroughly underwhelmed. He's very average in all zones. I'd probably be more inclined to go in really any other direction than Johansen if he's available. Probably one of the defensemen that slipped or even a Russian (*gasp!).

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.