HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did Jagr ever play center?

Old
12-27-2012, 09:55 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Did Jagr ever play center?

Was just having a discussion about him and someone brought that up. I can't recall him playing center or taking faceoffs at all.

tjcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I've seen him listed as a LW early in his career, but nope, never have seen him take a regular shift as a center. He's played with Lemieux, Francis, Lang, Nedved, Hrdina, Oates, Nylander, Giroux... maybe the guy who brought it up saw him take a few shifts in a game as a center?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Big Phil

I would see the odd time that his center got thrown out of the faceoff circle, but that's about it. He's a winger much in the same mold that you never see Ovechkin (rarely) take a faceoff

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:06 AM
tjcurrie

Figured that was the case fellas. Thanks. And yeah I'm guessing he maybe saw Jagr take a draw one time and then translated that in to "Jagr played lots of center."

Old
12-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Jagr was my favorite player when I was younger and am a die-hard Pens fan. I can't recall a single shift at center for Jagr.

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Jagr was my favorite player when I was younger and am a die-hard Pens fan. I can't recall a single shift at center for Jagr.
I'll take your word over the guy who was trying to tell me he did. Thanks.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Rexor

Vladimír Růžička was playing him as a center in a few games during the 2005 World Championships. He was playing there in the 2005 play-offs with Omsk, too (Zatonsky-Jágr-Sushinsky).

Last edited by Rexor: 12-29-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
Vladimír Růžička was playing him as a center in a few games during the 2005 World Championships. He was playing there in the 2005 play-offs with Omsk, too (Zatonsky-Jágr-Sushinsky).
The guy I was talking Jagr with said he played, "lots of center in his career, mostly with Washington and New York."

Old
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
The guy I was talking Jagr with said he played, "lots of center in his career, mostly with Washington and New York."
Maybe he thought he was playing center, because he carried the puck a lot up ice and into the offensive zone, and he is the rare wing that is a great playmaker, but I don't ever recall him really playing center in the NHL.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Puckgenius*

I dont think he would have made a good center anyways, his size and skills were best utilized along the boards.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:55 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
I dont think he would have made a good center anyways, his size and skills were best utilized along the boards.
Not necessarily true. Many of the great centers of the history of the game were big, strong, skilled centermen like Beliveau, Esposito, Messier, Lemieux.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:35 AM
pdd

I have always wondered about Jagr as a center.

Mainly because of the similarities between Jagr and Lemieux, and because of the failed "Lafleur at center" experiment. What would have been the result of a "Jagr at center" experiement? We saw Kurri at center, we saw Fedorov on the wing, we saw Lemieux on the wing. But Jagr at center, I would have liked to see it.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I have always wondered about Jagr as a center.

Mainly because of the similarities between Jagr and Lemieux, and because of the failed "Lafleur at center" experiment. What would have been the result of a "Jagr at center" experiement? We saw Kurri at center, we saw Fedorov on the wing, we saw Lemieux on the wing. But Jagr at center, I would have liked to see it.
I think he would have had to have been trained as a center early in his career for him to really play a lot as a center, but maybe I'm wrong. I also don't see him making open ice hits ala Lindros, so he might have been better served as a center by keeping his lighter, faster frame of the early 90s.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:22 AM
ot92s

i'm guessing he played some shifts at center, but i doubt he ever went into a game knowing he was playing center.

his first couple years he played LW but as you know the bulk of his career was at RW.

Here's a cool playoff game. 19 year old jagr playing LW with battle worn 34 year old trottier. Bob Johnson shuffled lines during games as much as anyone I remember so jagr gets time with just about everyone. he ever played at RW on a penalty kill as well.

Fun wide open game...stand up goalies, neely, borque, janney, wesley, ruzica, baby jagr, lemieux, recchi, stevens, francis....all flying around...plus cusik & sanderson in the both...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:54 AM
davebenj

Mother of God did I ever detest Kevin Stevens. But on topic, I would imagine Jagr would work quite well as a center although obviously not quite as well as wing. He certainly was versatile enough though.

Last edited by davebenj: 01-01-2013 at 10:06 AM.
davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote