HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Mecca Of Hockey

Old
05-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 300
In terms of devoted, NHL fan bases, obviously it's a two-horse race between Montreal and Toronto.

But when you factor in non-NHL hockey (AHL, CHL, etc.), or other minor leagues, then it gets somewhat clouded.

For example, yes the Leafs fans should be commended for regularly filling the ACC to support a franchise which has been mediocre for the better part of four decades. Give Phoenix a fan base like the one in Toronto, and that team would actually be profitable.

However, the AHL's Toronto Marlies don't appear to have much of a fan base to speak of. Average attendance just a shade over 4,000 per game? Up from last year, but still well below the league average. Not too impressive for a "hockey mecca".

05-25-2010, 12:13 AM
heartandsoul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Glendale Arizona
I was going to say LA.

heartandsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Canadarocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer84Instinct View Post
some fans of Detroit has suggested it's Detroit but thats a Hockey Town not Mecca of Hockey right?
Isn't its full name actually Hockeytown, USA? Detroit maybe the hockey capital of the United States but that doesn't mean it's the hockey capital of the world.
This is an impossible question to answer. People choose whichever team they want to the the Mecca of Hockey. I like to think that it's Montreal but I know many would disagree. That's fine as long as they aren't rude about it.

Canadarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:34 AM
goalsversusthreshold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
In terms of devoted, NHL fan bases, obviously it's a two-horse race between Montreal and Toronto.

But when you factor in non-NHL hockey (AHL, CHL, etc.), or other minor leagues, then it gets somewhat clouded.

For example, yes the Leafs fans should be commended for regularly filling the ACC to support a franchise which has been mediocre for the better part of four decades. Give Phoenix a fan base like the one in Toronto, and that team would actually be profitable.

However, the AHL's Toronto Marlies don't appear to have much of a fan base to speak of. Average attendance just a shade over 4,000 per game? Up from last year, but still well below the league average. Not too impressive for a "hockey mecca".
This gives me the impression that Torontonians aren't hockey fanatics so much as Leafs fanatics. It seems to me like being a Leafs fan is just what you do as a Torontonian, something to feel municipal patrotism about and gossip about, and that there isn't that much interest in actual hockey.

goalsversusthreshold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Dave Karp

If we're strictly talking Canada, I think it's got to be Toronto or Montreal. Montreal is by far the most storied franchise, but Toronto is probably second. I personally believe that the Habs have the most passionate fans, but it's hard to discredit the Leaf fans loyalty. What tips the scales, IMO, is the Hockey Hall of Fame, the "war room", and the media. Just my thoughts. I also consider Kingston the birth place of hockey but many consider Montreal, which could be another deciding factor in one's opinion.

I also think Minnesota has a strong case, mainly for the reasons that have already been posted. If it came down to it, though, and I have to choose one, it'd be Toronto. And I'm a Stars fan that dislikes the Leafs, so no real bias from me (well, just the Canadian bias anyways).

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsversusthreshold View Post
This gives me the impression that Torontonians aren't hockey fanatics so much as Leafs fanatics. It seems to me like being a Leafs fan is just what you do as a Torontonian, something to feel municipal patrotism about and gossip about, and that there isn't that much interest in actual hockey.
Go look at the number of participants in minor hockey in the different leagues throughout the GTA and you'll reconsider your statement of there not being much interest in hockey itself.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Quote:

Is there any other teams in the league that has their AHL team in the same city?
I know philly had one. not anymore. its nice having the affiliate close, and able to do last min. call ups.

Ive been to a few games, but most of the time; im not going to miss a leafs game on tv, to see the marlies play.

Marlies should be in another smaller city, somewhat close to Toronto; so there own fan base can grow, and make it exciting to go to see them play.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:53 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'sShow09 View Post
If we're strictly talking Canada, I think it's got to be Toronto or Montreal. Montreal is by far the most storied franchise, but Toronto is probably second. I personally believe that the Habs have the most passionate fans, but it's hard to discredit the Leaf fans loyalty. What tips the scales, IMO, is the Hockey Hall of Fame, the "war room", and the media. Just my thoughts. I also consider Kingston the birth place of hockey but many consider Montreal, which could be another deciding factor in one's opinion.

I also think Minnesota has a strong case, mainly for the reasons that have already been posted. If it came down to it, though, and I have to choose one, it'd be Toronto. And I'm a Stars fan that dislikes the Leafs, so no real bias from me (well, just the Canadian bias anyways).
Holy crap, someone read a long post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Is there any other teams in the league that has their AHL team in the same city?
I know philly had one. not anymore. its nice having the affiliate close, and able to do last min. call ups.

Ive been to a few games, but most of the time; im not going to miss a leafs game on tv, to see the marlies play.

Marlies should be in another smaller city, somewhat close to Toronto; so there own fan base can grow, and make it exciting to go to see them play.
Chicago has the Wolves, although they are not the Blackhawks' affiliate.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 200
Eugene Melnyk likes to say it's Ottawa but while we are a hockey-mad town we haven't reached Mecca status yet.

I'd place:

Montreal
Toronto
Detroit
Minnesota (yes, I know but they are a hockey hotbed, great youth programs I hear and solid base of the big team)
New York (?) Rangers

above us for sure.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Cappo40*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsversusthreshold View Post
Im not from Toronto and I am a Leafs fan....I hate the city of Toronto..

So your logic falls through the grates there..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
All Day*

Toronto is the mecca of hockey with Montreal being second in that regard.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:21 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quite simply Toronto, or the GTA/southern Ontario region, is the mecca of hockey. There is more hockey played and watched (at all levels) in the region that in anywhere else in the world. Add in that the NHL head offices are in Toronto, the HHOF is in Toronto, the media in the area is more than anywhere else (by quite a ways too). There's more players that come out of that area than out of virtually every other area combined.

Montreal (historically) or Detroit (more recently) might be the mecca of franchises, but it's no question that the Toronto area is the Mecca of hockey in general, regardless of if the franchise located there is full of fail.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
Toronto. Because we have a Muslim player.
/end thread

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Everyone knows the mecca of hockey is Slapout, Alabama.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Wow. Coming from a habs from this may be awkward for most but why is there no love for Boston here? I know that there are sometime issues withs selling out the Garden but still. The question was about hockey, not the NHL.

I wouldn't put it as the top but similar to Minnesota, Boston has a huge hockey following at the Amateur level (think moreso U.S. college but maybe high school as well). In terms of hockey Mecca in the U.S. I'd put it:
Minnesota
Mass.
Detroit

Without schools like MSU and the Wolverines I don't even think that Detroit belongs among the discussion. Yes I understand that they are an Original 6 six and yes they are called HockeyTown USA (only because of a copyright) but really, I don't think they can claim they are anymore than a place like Boston can. Both cities have issues with attendance at the NHL level and have extremely strong U.S. Collegiate ties with hockey. And I understand that within the past X number of years Detroit has had economy issues and that explains some of the lack of support issues but really, I think that issue has been there for a long time.

So in summary, Minnesota should hold the title of HockeyTown, USA, not Detroit.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Obviously

Toronto is the last Canadian team I'd call a Mecca of hockey.
Because the team is currently bad? Makes sense.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
redwing471

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
Wow. Coming from a habs from this may be awkward for most but why is there no love for Boston here? I know that there are sometime issues withs selling out the Garden but still. The question was about hockey, not the NHL.

I wouldn't put it as the top but similar to Minnesota, Boston has a huge hockey following at the Amateur level (think moreso U.S. college but maybe high school as well). In terms of hockey Mecca in the U.S. I'd put it:
Minnesota
Mass.
Detroit

Without schools like MSU and the Wolverines I don't even think that Detroit belongs among the discussion. Yes I understand that they are an Original 6 six and yes they are called HockeyTown USA (only because of a copyright) but really, I don't think they can claim they are anymore than a place like Boston can. Both cities have issues with attendance at the NHL level and have extremely strong U.S. Collegiate ties with hockey. And I understand that within the past X number of years Detroit has had economy issues and that explains some of the lack of support issues but really, I think that issue has been there for a long time.

Toronto or Montreal would be the obvious choice for the title of "Mecca of Hockey". No city in America really can compare to either of those big markets in Canada.

As far as Detroit not being deserving of being titled HockeyTown, USA.
Actually there were local communities in Detroit titled HockeyTown back 35+ years ago. I believe there are still well over 3,000 youth hockey teams in the metro area alone.

Additionally there are more than Michigan & Michigan State that play collegiate hockey. Michigan as a state has 19 collegiate national championships. Almost twice as many as any other state.

Five different Michigan schools have won a national championship (Michigan, Michigan State, Lake Superior State, N. Michigan & Michigan Tech). Additionally W. Michigan & Ferris State are also in the CCHA and play at fairly high level.

So when you add in that Detroit is an original six team to all of the above. The HockeyTown, USA title is much deserved and it's staying.

redwing471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV 426 View Post
Because the team is currently bad? Makes sense.
I don't think he understands the question

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Arular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
Toronto. Because we have a Muslim player.
Haha...nice.

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
1. Minnesota is a state, so Hockeytown, USA would be a weird title.
2. Warroad, MN actually has called themselves Hockeytown, USA thirty years before Detroit started the successful marketing gimmick.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
redwing471

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
1. Minnesota is a state, so Hockeytown, USA would be a weird title.
2. Warroad, MN actually has called themselves Hockeytown, USA thirty years before Detroit started the successful marketing gimmick.
St. Clair Shores, MI also called themself HockeyTown, USA going back to the early '70s. Gordie Howe's Hockeyland was there also promoting youth hockey as early as 1972 I believe.

redwing471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:

Toronto used to be the Mecca of Hockey, but IMO surrendered that distinction to Montreal.

It is now the Medina of Hockey.

If you are going to be a “Mecca” of anything, then you have to maintain the lead institution to the highest possible standards.

The stewards of the Toronto Maple Leafs have failed miserably in this regard, and the institution has become an object of ridicule.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
All Day*

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Toronto used to be the Mecca of Hockey, but IMO surrendered that distinction to Montreal.

It is now the Medina of Hockey.

If you are going to be a “Mecca” of anything, then you have to maintain the lead institution to the highest possible standards.

The stewards of the Toronto Maple Leafs have failed miserably in this regard, and the institution has become an object of ridicule.
As stated earlier, Toronto doesn't have to uphold constant success to be considered the Mecca of hockey. The fact that our fanbase is loyal through the tough times is even more reason to label Toronto the Mecca of hockey.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Looks worse than it is IMO. On any given Saturday night you could have:

Oshawa 4,000
Guelph 4,000
Mississauga 2,250
Brampton 2,000
Marlies 4,000
Leafs 19,250 + 1.8 million watching the Leafs at home on HNIC.

And then you consider how huge minor hockey is in the Toronto area with the 50 GTHL teams and 40,000 players... and you realize that there is a TON of hockey going on in Toronto every Saturday night.

The Leafs suck, no one's really arguing that... but home of the HHOF, the NHL offices, where most of the hockey media is based and far and away the most financially successful... it's certainly a candidate for hockey mecca despite the team's troubles on the ice.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arular View Post
Hockey Hall of Fame?
Bingo. Mecca is the HHOF. Every hockey fan should visit it at least once. The building itself is a metaphor for the personality of hockey.

Medina should be the hockey hub of your country. Like visiting a battlefield on a civil war tour, this place should not be about your team but the sport and your country. For Americans it is Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote