HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Mecca Of Hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2010, 02:07 PM
  #51
HockeyGuy1985*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Its Toronto. It also helps when youre the largest city in Canada and a world city.

Montreal's fans are just nuttier.

Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver are all up there with them.

As for American cities?

Minneapolis-St Paul, NYC, Boston, Philly, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh. All great hockeytowns.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
  #52
HockeyGuy1985*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Best hockey states?

Minnesota, Michigan, New York and Massachusetts.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:14 PM
  #53
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Looks worse than it is IMO. On any given Saturday night you could have:

Oshawa 4,000
Guelph 4,000
Mississauga 2,250
Brampton 2,000
Marlies 4,000
Leafs 19,250 + 1.8 million watching the Leafs at home on HNIC.

And then you consider how huge minor hockey is in the Toronto area with the 50 GTHL teams and 40,000 players... and you realize that there is a TON of hockey going on in Toronto every Saturday night.

The Leafs suck, no one's really arguing that... but home of the HHOF, the NHL offices, where most of the hockey media is based and far and away the most financially successful... it's certainly a candidate for hockey mecca despite the team's troubles on the ice.
Minnesota on any given Saturday night:
Wild: 18,064
Gophers: 10,000 (men), 3,000 (women)
UMD Bulldogs: 5,333, although will be 7,500 next year
SCSU Huskies: 5,700
Mankato State: 5,200
Bemidji State: 4,000
Hundreds of HS and younger games: 200-500 each

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Bingo. Mecca is the HHOF. Every hockey fan should visit it at least once. The building itself is a metaphor for the personality of hockey.

Medina should be the hockey hub of your country. Like visiting a battlefield on a civil war tour, this place should not be about your team but the sport and your country. For Americans it is Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid.
That's an interesting take.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
  #54
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Minnesota on any given Saturday night:
Wild: 18,064
Gophers: 10,000 (men), 3,000 (women)
UMD Bulldogs: 5,333, although will be 7,500 next year
SCSU Huskies: 5,700
Mankato State: 5,200
Bemidji State: 4,000
Hundreds of HS and younger games: 200-500 each
And 1.8 million at home watching the Wild on TV?

Not to mention that Duluth is over 2 hours away from St Paul and Bemidji is over 4 hours. If we want to go down that route, I can certainly list attendance figures from London, Kitchener, Windsor, Peterborough, etc.

Don't get me wrong though - that certainly is impressive and I think Minnesota is hockey mecca of the United States.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
  #55
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Montreal is the Mecca

Toronto is the HQ

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
  #56
Que Sera Sera
Registered User
 
Que Sera Sera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
What's the point of this? It's just a pissing contest between Canadiens fans and Leafs fans.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
  #57
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
What's the point of this? It's just a pissing contest between Canadiens fans and Leafs fans.
Not really. As a historian it's a very valid topic. Hockey has never really had a true storyteller. Hockey's stories are told in tribal whispers that's shared only within the circles. Halifax could be consider a hub. Toronto, Lake Placid, ETC. It's like a pissing contest between Gettysburg and Manassas

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
  #58
Ofuzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Maybe the mecca of hockey is an arena. About five years ago I was at an Edmonton Oilers game and I ran into a couple of guys who were San Jose fans and were on a road trip to see the Mecca of Hockey. I didn't get their logic but they explained that over the years they had already been to Yankee Stadium, Boston Garden and Lambeau Field. They considered those the three mecca's of baseball, basketball and football. They felt it was time to do hockey. They weren't big hockey fans so they had to do a little research. The two obvious Mecca's, the Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens were no longer in use. They discovered that Edmonton's arena was the only one left in the league that had 5 Stanley Cup banners and the games from those Cups were actually played there. So they concluded that the Edmonton arena was the "current" mecca of hockey.

I can't say that I totally agree with them but I did understand their logic. I've seen countless games in Edmonton and never really thought much of it but for these two guys they said they got chills when they walked in and saw all of the history.

Go figure!!!

Ofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
  #59
LuigiStone*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Philly.

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
  #60
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
And 1.8 million at home watching the Wild on TV?

Not to mention that Duluth is over 2 hours away from St Paul and Bemidji is over 4 hours. If we want to go down that route, I can certainly list attendance figures from London, Kitchener, Windsor, Peterborough, etc.

Don't get me wrong though - that certainly is impressive and I think Minnesota is hockey mecca of the United States.
Hey everyone assumes Minnesota is one giant city...

But if we're going with just Minneapolis-St. Paul there's 28,500 for the U and Wild with another 10,000 in HS games. I'm partial to count St. Cloud State's 5,700 since plenty of people travel from the Twin Cities up to St. Cloud, so that would put it up to 34,200. If you count television it's an additional 47,500 HH (~100,000 people) split between the U (1.0) and Wild(1.67).* And that's for an metro area half the size of Toronto with the two big teams having multiple subpar seasons. I'm sorry that everyone doesn't watch hockey on Saturday night, but it's much better to see live. Well that and playing it or having a life and going out.

*I'm just going with the average, although it wouldn't surprise me if the Wild had a higher rating on Saturdays.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
  #61
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Petawawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,884
vCash: 500
I think Toronto is the frontrunner because of the HHOF is there. The general concensus seems to be Canada in general, and more specifically to US hockey, Minnesota.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
  #62
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Hey everyone assumes Minnesota is one giant city...

But if we're going with just Minneapolis-St. Paul there's 28,500 for the U and Wild with another 10,000 in HS games. I'm partial to count St. Cloud State's 5,700 since plenty of people travel from the Twin Cities up to St. Cloud, so that would put it up to 34,200. If you count television it's an additional 47,500 HH (~100,000 people) split between the U (1.0) and Wild(1.67).* And that's for an metro area half the size of Toronto with the two big teams having multiple subpar seasons. I'm sorry that everyone doesn't watch hockey on Saturday night, but it's much better to see live. Well that and playing it or having a life and going out.

*I'm just going with the average, although it wouldn't surprise me if the Wild had a higher rating on Saturdays.
Are you trying to convince me that Minneapolis is a hockey mecca or that it's more of a mecca than Toronto? I definitely, definitely agree with the former but I'll have to disagree with the latter.

In posting the numbers, I was trying to combat the idea that no one in Toronto cared about anything other than Leaf hockey. I don't believe that to be the case but that's not why I think Toronto's the mecca of hockey. HHOF, league offices, home of most of the hockey media.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
  #63
SkateSave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
mec·ca (měk'ə)
n.

1
a. A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.

b. A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.

2. A place visited by many people: a mecca for tourists.


From these definitions I would probably say Toronto, unless there is another place I'm unaware of where people go to 'worship' hockey as such.

Its been said before, the Hall of Fame and whatever copy of the Stanley Cup reside there, are like the holy relics of Hockey. Toronto is one of, if not the largest centers of hockey media and fan interest. Whether fans of hockey are impelled to visit Toronto over other cities to celebrate hockey I'm less sure about.

Maybe the Mecca of hockey is the Stanley Cup itself, wherever it travels people see it as THE object of hockey, both as the ultimate prize and as an artifact chronicling the history of the game.

SkateSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
  #64
Moobles
Registered User
 
Moobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
There isn't one mecca of hockey, but if you had to reduce everything down to a few small geographic urban area conglomerates, Montreal and Toronto are probably the ones you're going to be talking about in Canada. In the U.S., Minneapolis-St. Paul, Boston and New York probably.

But really, unlike say a religion, you can't reduce hockey to a few small geographic locales (especially in a game that comes from small towns). Crosby comes from Nova Scotia, Sakic came from Burnaby and Örnsköldsvik has produced more top tier hockey stars in memory than the Montreal area has of recent.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
  #65
xtr3m
Registered User
 
xtr3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,265
vCash: 500
Mecca is the site of annual pilgrimage. Everyone pretty much agrees that experiencing a playoff game inside Bell Centre is almost a religious experience. Gotta go with Montreal.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
  #66
Percy LeSueur
Registered User
 
Percy LeSueur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Northern Marianas
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
"The Mecca of Hockey" is a moniker that the Toronto based media gave to Toronto. It holds no more or no less merit than Detroit being "Hockeytown, USA" or the Montreal Canadiens being the "New York Yankees of Hockey". So if people from Toronto want to call their hometown "The Mecca of Hockey" I have no problem with that.

That being said, until Toronto can ice a competitive hockey team, the other 29 NHL teams don't really give a crap what the people of Toronto want to call their fair city. The self-given moniker doesn't really hold a lot of weight when the Leafs have been this bad for the last 5 years.

Were the Flyers still the "Broadstreet Bullies" when they were in the Eastern Conference basement? I suppose they were, it's just that nobody cared or feared them at that point, so that moniker was devoid of meaning for most fans outside of Philadelphia.


Last edited by Percy LeSueur: 05-25-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Percy LeSueur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:10 PM
  #67
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style
 
Shinsuke Nakamura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Day View Post
As stated earlier, Toronto doesn't have to uphold constant success to be considered the Mecca of hockey. The fact that our fanbase is loyal through the tough times is even more reason to label Toronto the Mecca of hockey.
The same could be said for any team in a big hockey market, even during bad years.

Well, maybe except Calgary. This city could barely break 10,000 fans going to Flames games around 99/00.

Shinsuke Nakamura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
  #68
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatorial Committee View Post
"The Mecca of Hockey" is a moniker that the Toronto based media gave to Toronto. It holds no more or no less merit than Detroit being "Hockeytown, USA" or the Montreal Canadiens being the "New York Yankees of Hockey". So if people from Toronto want to call their hometown "The Mecca of Hockey" I have no problem with that.

That being said, until Toronto can ice a competitive hockey team, the other 29 NHL teams don't really give a crap what the people of Toronto want to call their fair city. The self-given moniker doesn't really hold a lot of weight when the Leafs have been this bad for the last 5 years.

Were the Flyers still the "Broadstreet Bullies" when they were in the Eastern Conference basement? I suppose they were, it's just that nobody cared or feared them at that point, so the nickname was devoid of meaning for most fans outside of Philadelphia.
Uh, except for the obvious point that "Broadstreet Bullies" is a term used to describe the team on the ice whereas Mecca of Hockey might refer to a city where 1) The HHOF is located 2) League Offices/War Room is located 3) The majority of the hockey media is based.

Or maybe a city where there's a 20+ year waiting list and hardly anyone not renewing their Seasons Tickets despite not giving their fans a cup for 40+ years.

It really has nothing to do with the **** product they've put on the ice since the lockout.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:35 PM
  #69
Percy LeSueur
Registered User
 
Percy LeSueur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Northern Marianas
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Uh, except for the obvious point that "Broadstreet Bullies" is a term used to describe the team on the ice whereas Mecca of Hockey might refer to a city where 1) The HHOF is located 2) League Offices/War Room is located 3) The majority of the hockey media is based.

Or maybe a city where there's a 20+ year waiting list and hardly anyone not renewing their Seasons Tickets despite not giving their fans a cup for 40+ years.

It really has nothing to do with the **** product they've put on the ice since the lockout.
Look, I agree that Toronto can call itself "The Mecca of Hockey" if it wants to.

All I'm saying is that the title doesn't exactly carry the same conotation now that the team is so bad. Ten years ago, the argument for Toronto being "The Mecca" wouldn't have included things like: "We still sell out our arena even though our team is so bad".

The league wide perception of Toronto has changed and right now, the self given moniker doesn't conjure up the sense of a strong franchise it once did.

Percy LeSueur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
  #70
C77
Registered User
 
C77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Junior's Farm
Country: United States
Posts: 13,730
vCash: 500
Canada is the Hejaz.

Toronto area is Mecca.

Gary is the prophet (please no pictures/cartoons)

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
  #71
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 13,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
The same could be said for any team in a big hockey market, even during bad years.

Well, maybe except Calgary. This city could barely break 10,000 fans going to Flames games around 99/00.
Name the teams. Because there aren't any other than Toronto. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Detroit, Buffalo, New York, and yes, Montreal have all had attendance drop significantly when the team's on ice performance declines.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:12 PM
  #72
Sensation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
Toronto. Because we have a Muslim player.

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:12 PM
  #73
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style
 
Shinsuke Nakamura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Name the teams. Because there aren't any other than Toronto. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Detroit, Buffalo, New York, and yes, Montreal have all had attendance drop significantly when the team's on ice performance declines.
Minnesota comes to mind.

Also, Montreal averaged about 500-1000 below max capacity for attendance in the team's worst seasons (1998-99 to 2000-01). Not a "significant" drop IMO.

Shinsuke Nakamura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
  #74
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
Minnesota comes to mind.
Hate to say it, but the 70s-90s would disagree with that statement.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
  #75
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Day View Post
As stated earlier, Toronto doesn't have to uphold constant success to be considered the Mecca of hockey. The fact that our fanbase is loyal through the tough times is even more reason to label Toronto the Mecca of hockey.
well as long as toronto fans are making the rules...

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.