HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Mecca Of Hockey

Old
05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Hate to say it, but the 70s-90s would disagree with that statement.
I wasn't counting the North Stars (as that's now Dallas), just the Wild. The Wild have had some terrible years but never seems to lose the fans.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
straka91*

Toronto hands down but I say Canada as a whole is the mecca in a way.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:36 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsversusthreshold View Post
This gives me the impression that Torontonians aren't hockey fanatics so much as Leafs fanatics. It seems to me like being a Leafs fan is just what you do as a Torontonian, something to feel municipal patrotism about and gossip about, and that there isn't that much interest in actual hockey.
Did you see Yonge St after Canada won the gold medal? I assume the answer is no

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
All Day*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
well as long as toronto fans are making the rules...
Seems like most of the posters here are unable to answer a simple question.

All Day* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:47 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
Minnesota comes to mind.

Also, Montreal averaged about 500-1000 below max capacity for attendance in the team's worst seasons (1998-99 to 2000-01). Not a "significant" drop IMO.
Even if you were to discount the North Stars (which shouldn't be done IMO), 10 years of sell outs doesn't compare to the numbers Toronto has been putting up since the mid-1940s.

Montreal averaged well below 500 or 1000 capacity, they had averages of 18000, a full 3000 short of a sell out at the Bell Centre.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Or maybe a city where there's a 20+ year waiting list and hardly anyone not renewing their Seasons Tickets despite not giving their fans a cup for 40+ years.
Here's a quote from Richard Peddie
Quote:
"We still have a waiting list of 2,500 people,"
That doesn't sound too crazy...until you look at the rest of the quote
Quote:
"The problem is the waiting list only saw 24 seats come due last year."
So at that rate there is a 105 year long lineup to get Leafs tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Even if you were to discount the North Stars (which shouldn't be done IMO), 10 years of sell outs doesn't compare to the numbers Toronto has been putting up since the mid-1940s.
Yea, the Leafs haven't had an available ticket since they moved into Maple Leafs Gardens in 1931. It hasn't been an official sellout streak because the Leafs only count a sellout when it's at max attendance which several weren't, but the tickets were certainly sold. At no point in the last 80 years have you been able to walk up to either MLG or the ACC and get a Leafs ticket just prior to the game.

Either way I don't consider the fanatical following of the Leafs to be the reason Toronto is the 'Mecca of Hockey' I think the main reason it holds that title is because it is where the HHOF is located, where the league offices are located and where there is the most hockey media coverage. Add in that there is more hockey players from the arena and more hockey played in the area (at all levels) than at anywhere else, and I don't think another city or region can compete for the title.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:30 AM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Minneapolis-St Paul
1. Unlike most NHL cities, where the NHL team is king (i.e. Toronto is a Leafs town, Montreal is a Habs town, Chicago is a Blackhawks town, etc.) the Twin Cities are about all levels of hockey, not just the NHL. Many people are fans of a HS or college team before the Wild (and previously the North Stars) and few, if any, places sell out a NHL arena for a bunch of 14-18 year olds (same goes with 18-22 year olds).
That's like calling Tampa Bay/St.Pete a Rays town.... Where people don't care at all when the team is terrible

PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I have to give Toronto the edge due to the HoF and War Room. Those are very significant institutions in the sport, which push it beyond just being a "hockey town" like several others.

Having said that, Montreal is just as much a hotbed if you are only looking at fan support and passion.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:48 AM
zaratustra

Siberia-mecca of hockey

zaratustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Ilya Kovalchoke*

Mecca Of Hockey is Toronto for sure. Success as a team doesn't make a city the Mecca, or else Detroit would have the crown as they have been the winning-est franchise in the last 20 years and Montreal has only one Cup in that time frame. The Mecca of Hockey is about the media, the events, the fans and the population not Stanley Cups.

Ilya Kovalchoke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
campmolson19

Corporate wise Id say Toronto, but for overall game day experience Id say Montreal. Both cities live and die with the sport

campmolson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:40 AM
MLSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
The fanbase who will suicidally attack other fanbases...
Ignorance is bliss eh?

You probably felt you were funny during this too.

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
RewBicks

Quote:
Minneapolis-St Paul
1. Unlike most NHL cities, where the NHL team is king (i.e. Toronto is a Leafs town, Montreal is a Habs town, Chicago is a Blackhawks town, etc.) the Twin Cities are about all levels of hockey, not just the NHL. Many people are fans of a HS or college team before the Wild (and previously the North Stars) and few, if any, places sell out a NHL arena for a bunch of 14-18 year olds (same goes with 18-22 year olds).
An anecdote: as a 12-year old Pee Wee player at the Quebec International Hockey Tournament in Quebec City, each team plays at least their first game in Le Colisee (where the Nordiques used to play). Each team that makes it into the tournament has to qualify from their region - at the time I was playing, two teams qualified from B.C. and we finished second in our qualifying tournament. The game right before ours was between two of the top-placed representatives in the Quebec division, meaning that both teams got to participate in the tournament wearing NHL team jerseys, run fundraising through the local NHL team, etc. The top team out of BC went as Canucks, fund-raised through the Canucks, etc.

Anyways, this was after the Nordiques had moved, but they were still represented at the tournament, and they were playing the Canadiens in the game before our own. They had to open the upper bowl and the place was just about filled to capacity (it holds around 16,000). There was truly an amazing atmosphere in and around the building, with cigarette smoke hanging in the air, the smell of poutine wafting through the halls, and kids trading team pins on every concourse. When the Montreal team stepped onto the ice, a loud chorus of boos shook the walls of the building, and from our dressing room, we could hear the crowd going nuts with every big play. Of course, it was all in good spirit - I've never seen such hospitality in all my life as that to which we were treated by our billet families and the locals. We were like mini-celebrities for that ten-day period. The little kids and local girls were running around trying to get autographs from the kids who played for the "name" teams (at the time, this was the Toronto metro teams, Detroit club teams, etc.), and we were absolutely doted on by restaurant owners, shopowners, and whoever else recognized our team jackets for what they were. Many times we played hockey with players from other teams in the tournament who we happened to run into while skating on several of the sheets of ice around the city.

Anyways, in our own game, we were set to play a team out of North York, also called the Canadiens, and they happened to wear Canadiens jerseys as well. When we stepped onto the ice, there was still probably somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6000 people occupying the lower bowl. North York was met with its own chorus of boos, and we were the local favorites for the rest of that game. Unfortunately, we lost 2-1 and never got another chance to play in the big rink; however, the experience was truly amazing, and I will never forget the feeling of the city during carnival and the passion for hockey that coursed through that place.

If there is a mecca for hockey, it is somewhere in Quebec. I've lived in Toronto and Vancouver. As passionate as we Vancouverites and Torontonians are for the game, I've never seen for felt such a tradition, such a love for the sport as I did in Quebec City. To feel a building and a city coursing with energy like that for games played by a bunch of 12 year olds was nothing short of amazing.

Last edited by RewBicks: 05-26-2010 at 11:31 AM.
RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Infinite Vision*

I live very close to Toronto and hockey is by far more popular in Toronto and surrounding areas than it is anywhere else in the world except Montreal, where the gap is not so much.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
deanmoriarty

Montreal, hands-down, end of discussion.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Montreal, hands-down, end of discussion.
How so?

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:46 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan87 View Post
How so?
For reasons alluded to in my post from immediately above. I've lived in two of the other major hockey cities in Canada. I've never felt a pure passion for the game like I have in Quebec - IMO, as crazy as the rest of Canada is for the game, it's more a part of the fabric of life there than anywhere else in the country.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Guy Germaine

'Taranna', T.O., T-Dot is without a doubt the North American hub of hockey.The fact that it's Canada's largest sissy....err...city, NA's second largest and home to the HOF, TSN, CBC, Don Cherry, Burkie's Dog house, Ron Maclean all make it a major hockey hub.

Montreal though is the world capital, The Jerusalem of the hockey world. Recognized around the globe as the birthplace of the sport, the giver of puck, the holyland. Forged in tradition and championships, no other city in the world has been bound together by the sport as Montreal has.The very fabrics of this society have been cut from the sleeve of 'The Sweater'.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Guy Germaine

'Taranna', T.O., T-Dot is without a doubt the North American hub of hockey.The fact that it's Canada's largest sissy....err...city, NA's second largest and home to the HOF, TSN, CBC, Don Cherry, Burkie's Dog house, Ron Maclean all make it a major hockey hub.

Montreal though is the world capital, The Jerusalem of the hockey world. Recognized around the globe as the birthplace of the sport, the giver of puck, the holyland. Forged in tradition and championships, no other city in the world has been bound together by the sport as Montreal has.The very fabrics of this society have been cut from the sleeve of 'The Sweater'.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
GeneralSwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Habs Fan View Post
Minnesota comes to mind.

Also, Montreal averaged about 500-1000 below max capacity for attendance in the team's worst seasons (1998-99 to 2000-01). Not a "significant" drop IMO.
But it dropped. The Leafs on the other hand will raise ticket prices on the heels of a 29th place season without even the slightest fear or tickets not selling. Now while this might not say much about our intelligence, it speaks volumes to our loyalty.

GeneralSwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Guy Germaine

Old
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Minneapolis-St Paul

2. They have Saints (of the Fighting variety) on their side along with Baby Jesus being from there. Apparently that's a necessity for being called the mecca of hockey.

3. More American players come from the Twin Cities/state of Minnesota than any other US region.

4. There's a Hall of Fame in Eveleth. Hey, that's a qualification for Toronto, why can't it be one for Minnesota?

5. Pond hockey and outdoor rinks.

6. It's common belief that Uncle Gary hates Canada, so obviously that disqualifies all cities north of the border. Same goes with Moscow - sure the Soviets/Russians have a lot of Olympic and World Championship gold medals, but that doesn't matter to the NHL and Uncle Gary.

7. Home to the Mecca, aka Mariucci Arena.

8a. Brian Burke was raised in Edina, a suburb of the Twin Cities.
8b. So was Gordon Bombay, Adam Banks, Charlie Conway and 3/4 of the Goodwill Games gold medal team.

9. Winners of the 1980 Olympic hockey tournament.

10. They have helped to spread the game by donating a team to Dallas and not picking up another in favor of Phoenix.
#10 had me rolling more than #8b

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
westisbest*

The Mecca of hockey? Toronto and area is a Leafs first population. How's the attendance for the Marlies doing? Or the Majors? Or all the other non Leaf teams? Yeah, that's what I thought. The whole "Toronto is the center of the universe" myth is made up by people who live in Toronto.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Did you see Yonge St after Canada won the gold medal? I assume the answer is no
That was extremely annoying. I was trying to go North on Yonge and there were forty million idiots there practically rioting. Go celebrate somewhere where you aren't disturbing traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post

You do know that the CBC is simply the "Canadian Broadcasting Corporation" and broadcasts sports including hockey, and is not a hockey-first broadcaster, right?

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Spydey629

I'm surprised this place hasn't been brought up yet... truly would be a pilgrimmage to go see a game there...

http://www.theralph.com/

Spydey629 is offline   Reply With Quote