HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Mecca Of Hockey

Old
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Toronto.

HHOF, produces most players, most media, 2nd most storied, Every review gets looked over in Toronto for any game.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
westisbest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Simpson View Post
Toronto.

HHOF, produces most players, most media, 2nd most storied, Every review gets looked over in Toronto for any game.
It all has to do with the fact Toronto is as they say, "the biggest American city in Canada". You guys are dreaming if you think you guys are more passionate about hockey than people in Alberta, Saskatchewan, BC, Manitoba. It's strictly, population. If Toronto was the size of Vancouver, you'd barely see any Leaf games on HNIC. What a world that would be if we didn't all have to be tortured watching a 3rd rate organization shoved down our throats every week.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
mpir3

As a non canadian (Ny'er) who grew up playing in upstate NY, Boston and quite frequently Montreal and Toronto. Montreal always had more of a hockey feel to me....

mpir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Lol @ people saying Minnesota over Toronto.

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Pandemic

I guess if you were to go by the size of fanbase, Toronto would be it..

But when I think of all the mystique of hockey, Montreal comes to mind. Some of the things that have happened in that franchise just give you goosebumps.

Nothing really gives me that feeling when I think of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
I guess if you were to go by the size of fanbase, Toronto would be it..

But when I think of all the mystique of hockey, Montreal comes to mind. Some of the things that have happened in that franchise just give you goosebumps.

Nothing really gives me that feeling when I think of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Toronto is the "Mecca" of Hockey.

After all that is where they must bow toward the East... toward Montreal.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

By a Leafs fan logic New York has the largest population of any NHL city, therefore NYC is the mecca of hockey right? wrong.

It's Montreal

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Montreal, hands-down, end of discussion.
Way to support your argument. Apparently the debate is over.

As a Leafs fan, I'm not sure anything compares to Montreal's tradition and the way they continue to embrace and celebrate their past acheivements. You can't help but admire them for that (although I still have no problem hating them).

There are passionate fans in both cities. I can't imagine what the atmosphere would have been like if they would have met in the 93 final. Unfortunately, over the years the ACC has been taken over by suits, who get free tickets through work. These aren't the true fans, and even if they are, it's difficult for them to paint their face blue and white and scream like a lunatic with their boss or other colleagues sitting beside them (think "Devils" in that old Seinfeld episode). You can get a glimpse of true Leaf fans when they are playing in other rinks across the NHL.

Where is the Mecca ? Doesn't really matter. It's just nice to see other fans appreciate the game the way I do....and always will.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Fabs

Toronto for sure. Even when the team blows everybody is still fixated on the Leafs and while Leaf fans aren't the loudest find me another fanbase that fills their arena after 5 years without the playoffs.

Fabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
'Taranna', T.O., T-Dot is without a doubt the North American hub of hockey.The fact that it's Canada's largest sissy....err...city, NA's second largest and home to the HOF, TSN, CBC, Don Cherry, Burkie's Dog house, Ron Maclean all make it a major hockey hub.

Montreal though is the world capital, The Jerusalem of the hockey world. Recognized around the globe as the birthplace of the sport, the giver of puck, the holyland. Forged in tradition and championships, no other city in the world has been bound together by the sport as Montreal has.The very fabrics of this society have been cut from the sleeve of 'The Sweater'.
great analogies. how old are the people in this thread picking toronto? the HHOF doesn't mean Mecca. McGill in Montreal, is commonly acknowledged as the birth of the game. does that count for anything? the leafs haven't won a cup in 43 year. Canada's supposed to be a bilingual country so TO is the english media hub while montreal is the francophone equivalent. but toronto is absolutely not the 'mecca of hockey' no matter what brian burke says

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Avro Arrow

10 Reasons why Montreal is the Mecca of Hockey

10 Reasons why Montreal is the Mecca of hockey:

1.) Montreal is the acknowledged birthplace of the game like Mecca is the birthplace of the Muslim faith.
2.) Montreal has the oldest team in the NHL, a team so old that it predates the NHL itself and started in the NHL's ancestor, the NHA.
3.) Montreal is the most successful hockey team in history by a huge margin.
4.) The Montreal Hockey Club (Montreal AAA/Amateur Athletic Association) won the first Stanley Cup in 1893. In fact, Montreal won the first 4 Stanley Cups with the AAA winning the first, second and fourth and the Victorias winning the third.
5.) The City of Montreal has won 51 Stanley Cup Championships. The Stanley Cup has been awarded a total of 158 times which means that the City of Montreal has claimed it almost 33% of the time throughout history.
6.) Montreal has fielded 6 hockey teams, all of which have won the Stanley Cup at least twice. The Montreal Canadiens, the Montreal Maroons, the Montreal Wanderers, the Montreal Shamrocks, the Montreal Victorias and the Montreal AAA/HC. No other city has even come close to that accomplishment.
7.) Two Montreal teams hold the record for the most consecutive Stanley Cup wins. The Montreal Wanderers and the Montreal Canadiens have both won 5 in a row.
8.) The Montreal Canadiens have appeared in the playoffs a staggering 74 times. That's 10 more apparances than the 2nd place (as usual) Toronto Maple Leafs and 12 more than the 3rd-place Boston Bruins.
9.) The Montreal Canadiens hold the most astonishing (almost to the point of mythical) NHL playoff records that will most likely never be broken by anyone:
a) 10 straight years appearing in the Stanley Cup finals.
b) 10 straight overtime wins in a single playoff year.
c) 24 Stanley Cup Victories (1 was before the NHL existed).
d) 32 appearances in the Stanley Cup finals and despite this, the Montreal Canadiens have only ever lost 1 Stanley Cup series on home ice (1989 vs. the Calgary Flames). This means that the Canadiens have a record of 24-8 in the Stanley Cup finals, ironically, that is the same record they have in the playoffs against the Bruins thus far...lol

and last, but not least, #10:
The Canadiens were the last Canadian team to hoist Lord Stanley's Cup in 1993.

We can hope that the last stat changes this year (hopefully the Habs win again but I'd be happy with Vancouver too).

Last edited by Avro Arrow: 04-19-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
MoonlightGraham

Toronto is the center of the hockey world. It's home to the Hall of Fame, a good portion of the media covering the game, it's where the goals are reviewed, and it's where the League's most valuable franchise is.

However, Montreal is more connected with the mystique of the game, since it's where the first organized hockey game was played, it's where the NHL was formed, it's the city that has won the most Stanley Cups, it's home to the most storied hockey club in the world, and it's where the most passionate fans are.

So it depends what you mean by Mecca of hockey, really...

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
Toronto is the center of the hockey world. It's home to the Hall of Fame, a good portion of the media covering the game, it's where the goals are reviewed, and it's where the League's most valuable franchise is.

However, Montreal is more connected with the mystique of the game, since it's where the first organized hockey game was played, it's where the NHL was formed, it's the city that has won the most Stanley Cups, it's home to the most storied hockey club in the world, and it's where the most passionate fans are.

Toronto is like the Geographical North Pole, whereas Montreal is the Magnetic North Pole

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 50
Eugene Melnyk says:

"I firmly believe the Ottawa Senators will not only win the Stanley Cup, but we will build a team with the talent and drive to hoard that Cup year after year in the playoffs. I guarantee that you have never seen the level of determination that is about to go into putting together our 2006-2007 season. And I guarantee that I will not rest until Ottawa becomes the hockey Mecca of the NHL."

If our Centurion in Chief says we're the Mecca of Hockey, so mote it be!

Senators Growing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:49 PM
edog37

Section 224 at Consol Energy Center. That is where the Mecca of Hockey & a Vergence in the Force currently resides....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
DetBigWangs

There is no "Mecca of Hockey". It's a series of places that hockey revolves around. Get real this is the era of globalization. Everything is spread around, even hockey.

Minn/Mich/NY anchor hockey in the states (the expansive frontier for hockey)

Toronto/Ontario is the administrative heart of the NHL.

Montreal symbolizes hockey with their long-standing tradition.

etc.

You start knocking any of these off and hockey wouldn't be the same.

Heck, the NHL would be pretty lame without an international pool of athletes in this day and age.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
canada1824

Send a message via Skype™ to canada1824
I don't want to say a specific city, just like how Soccer is important to Brazil, there isn't a specific city in Brazil that is a soccer mecca.

I want to say a building, and that's the HHOF.

canada1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Toronto is like the Geographical North Pole, whereas Montreal is the Magnetic North Pole
I actually like this line of logic.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:06 PM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post

From a Leafs fan to a Habs fan, I think this is a pretty fair assessment. However, I would also give Toronto fans some credit for selling out the ACC for so long with a sub par product on the ice. When the Leafs are competitive again, I can assure you there will be passion in Toronto to rival that in Montreal.

Toronto and Montreal are both Hockey Meccas

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:06 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
The location where the Stanley Cup calls home.
How about the location hockey calls home?

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Hockey started in Montreal, therefore Montreal is the Mecca.

Also :

Quote:
The location where the Stanley Cup calls home.
MTL won it 24 times, I think it's safe to say it's his home.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
danishh

people around canada dont make pilgrimages to the bell center. They do to the HHOF.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Montreal.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
ponder

Holy thread revive! But you can't go wrong with Toronto or Montreal, the twin centers of the hockey world for sure.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:38 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
Toronto fans not only sell out the ACC to watch a garbage team year after year, they occupy other arenas too (Buffalo and Ottawa). When I watch a Toronto @ Ottawa game, I sometimes forget who's on home ice.

Toronto
Montreal

Rest of the teams

edit: This always turns into a pissing contest between Montreal and Toronto fans. Both make good points, so ya, either one of those teams. I still believe Toronto takes the cake, but I'm obviously biased.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote