HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Cities making formal attempts to get an NHL franchise?

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2004, 07:57 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Cities making formal attempts to get an NHL franchise?

For those paying attention, many of you have seen how Kansas City has been trying to get an NHL team for a few years now. They've had the creation of NHL 21, an independent corporation that has vested its time to help attract the NHL to Kansas City in an ultimate goal of getting a franchises either relocated to or created in the area....through many methods, including having NHL exposition games held in KC, as well as NHL-21 holding a good relationship with key NHL leaders.

My question is: Have any other cities had any kind of formal attempt of any kind to gain an NHL franchise currently, or in the recent past in the way Kansas City has?

Old
05-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Douggy

Winnipeg alteast inquired about getting the Penguins a while back.

Old
05-14-2004, 08:59 PM
belkbuzze

Quebec is about to destroy the Pepsi Colisium and the city want to build a brand new arena which is supposed to be NHL capable. We will be hosting a relatively important tournement in 2008 and we're considering to attempt to get an NHL frachise around 2010.

This is not a joke.. I agree it sound weird, but.... Quebec back in NHL, why not ?

Old
05-15-2004, 07:23 AM
s7ark

I'd like to know why there's no team in Seattle. Washington state is about as Canadian (read: BC-like) as any state, and has lots of successful minor hockey. Portland, OR is another one that comes to mind. Amazing that California can have 3 teams, but there are none in the more northwestern states.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Zednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkbuzze
Quebec is about to destroy the Pepsi Colisium and the city want to build a brand new arena which is supposed to be NHL capable. We will be hosting a relatively important tournement in 2008 and we're considering to attempt to get an NHL frachise around 2010.

This is not a joke.. I agree it sound weird, but.... Quebec back in NHL, why not ?
Where did you read it ? Actually, they plan to build a new small arena (about 5,000 seats). Never heard of a new NHL arena...

Old
05-15-2004, 12:32 PM
PinkFloydLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I'd like to know why there's no team in Seattle. Washington state is about as Canadian (read: BC-like) as any state, and has lots of successful minor hockey. Portland, OR is another one that comes to mind. Amazing that California can have 3 teams, but there are none in the more northwestern states.
Seattle Metropolitans won the Cup in 1917.

Bring back the Metrops!

I agree. Move one of the California teams..

Old
05-15-2004, 12:33 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloydLives
Seattle Metropolitans won the Cup in 1917.

Bring back the Metrops!

I agree. Move one of the California teams..
The Kings and Sharks aren't going anywhere, but the Ducks could be a likely re-location candidate with Disney's uncertain future.

I actually think Portland may get a team before Seattle, but I haven't heard much about either city inquiring about getting a team at all.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:34 PM
PinkFloydLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
The Kings and Sharks aren't going anywhere, but the Ducks could be a likely re-location candidate with Disney's uncertain future.
So the Ducks move then. Maybe Seattle or even KC... hmmmmm

Old
05-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Agreed, BC-WASH are very much a like!

Old
05-15-2004, 01:02 PM
gruntsplatter

http://www.nhltopdx.com/

Not as much information here as there once was, it seems to have gone a bit cold, but Portland has been in the hunt for sure. My understanding about the Portland vs. Seattle debate is that the Canucks own the TV rights in Seattle which would complicate things and Portland doesn't have those issues. The Winterhawks of teh WHL get good fan support here and there was a solid turn out to the preseason Sharks vs. Coyotes game I attended as well. Portland only has one other Pro team (basketball) and so the market is a little more open than Seattle as well.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:03 PM
AEKaki

Seattle would be a great NHL city IMO.
But I heard somewhere that they won't let this because the city is too close to Vancouver and the Canucks won't allow it for fan base reasons.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Take the Ducks...I dont want em. Oregon can finally have a professional Duck team Portland would be my choice...keep em right in the Pacific Division.

Last edited by Patty Ice: 05-15-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old
05-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Prince Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
But I heard somewhere that they won't let this because the city is too close to Vancouver and the Canucks won't allow it for fan base reasons.
See, I hear this stuff all the time (living directly between Toronto and Hamilton) and what I've found is that it gets people way, way more into the sport when you set up a close rivalry. If Ottawa had been barred a team because it was too close to Toronto or Montreal, I can guarantee you that the playoff time in Ontario over the past decade would look very different than it does now.

Old
05-15-2004, 03:34 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Everyone thinks Houston should get a team but HAH!

Old
05-15-2004, 04:48 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I actually think Portland may get a team before Seattle, but I haven't heard much about either city inquiring about getting a team at all.
When the Flames and Oilers were going through tougher times financially, it was whispered that Houston and Portland were the two cities interested. I think Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen was leading the charge for Portland.

Old
05-15-2004, 05:01 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntsplatter
My understanding about the Portland vs. Seattle debate is that the Canucks own the TV rights in Seattle which would complicate things and Portland doesn't have those issues.
Huh? Did that 10.5 earthquake shift Seattle north by a 100+ miles? Territorial limits are 50 miles.

Seattle doesn't have a stadium, that's why it's never talked about.

Old
05-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
I'd like to know why there's no team in Seattle.
If I had a dollar for every time I read this in a forum I'd be able to buy the NHL.

Seattle can't currently have an NHL team because (this is off the top of my head):

1) Seattle is a hockey retarted town. No one knows a thing about hockey. This town is a baseball and football town only.
2) There's no stadium big enough for an NHL team. The Tacoma Dome is too big and doesn't have luxury boxes. Key Arena is built for Basketball only. Key Arena Holds 18-20K for Basketball and only 14K for hockey (after taking out 1/4 of the lower bowl seats). Former Seattle Sonics owner Barry Ackerly built Key Arena as a Basketball only arena for fear that he would lose valuable $$$ to an NHL franchise.
3) The Seattle media refuses to cover hockey. Let me put how bad the media coverage of hockey is in this way. The media didn't start covering the Everett Silvertips run in the WHL playoffs until Game 4 of the WHL finals. For those of you who don't know, Medicine Hat Swept Everett in four straight WHL Finals games.
4) Youth Hockey (compared to other NHL cities) is practically non-existent. Sure there's youth hockey in Seattle but how many NHL players do you know that came from Seattle? You can probably count all of them, historically, on one hand.

If there was ever a Northwest city that would get an NHL franchise, Portland, OR would be the best place. They have an arena, the have a GREAT hockey fan base from the WHL Winterhawks, and they would potentially have ex-Microsoft Billionaire Paul Allen bankrolling the franchise. He already owns the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, the NBA Portland Trailblazers, the NFL Seattle Seahawks, and Seahawks Stadium. It's no secret he's been after an NHL franchise for some time.

I'd love an NHL franchise here in Seattle but it's not going to happen anytime soon. Besides I love the drive to Vancouver for games.

Last edited by Dolemite: 05-17-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old
05-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
Actually, that's not true. The NHL has mandated that British Columbia is the 'border' for the Canucks Fanbase. I got this info from the team when asking why I can't get Canucks Pay-Per-View games in Seattle.

Old
05-17-2004, 08:58 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Amazing that California can have 3 teams, but there are none in the more northwestern states.
California has a population that is bigger than all of Canada's population by about four million. So it's not as if a small state has three teams.

Old
05-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
California has a population that is bigger than all of Canada's population by about four million. So it's not as if a small state has three teams.
Exactly

Old
05-17-2004, 12:07 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

But 90% of Canada's population are hockey fans. I doubt the same is true for California.

Old
05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I remember the last round of expansion had some, shall we say, "interesting" candidtes, like Oklahoma City. They actually take their hockey pretty seriously down there in the CHL.

Old
05-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
I remember the last round of expansion had some, shall we say, "interesting" candidtes, like Oklahoma City. They actually take their hockey pretty seriously down there in the CHL.
Until this season, OKC was the leader in attendance, for minor league hockey, for three straight years. www.inthecrease.com They may be a solid draw as a minor league team, but averaging about 10,000 a year isn't really the draw the NHL is lookin for. How many more fans could there really be in the surrounding area?

Old
05-17-2004, 05:21 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

So it looks like this probably right now...

1. Kansas City
2. Portland
3. Winnipeg
4. Houston
5. Seattle

Obviously the top 2 are the only very realistic options right now, and there's no gaurantee there will be a new team anywhere until 2007 or later at this point.

Old
05-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The Canucks territory may officialy extend to the Canadian border, but they will sure as hell do every bit of politicing they can to keep a franchise away from Seattle and probably enhance Portland's bid to block them out.

Witness the NFL's last expansion rounds (Modell and Frontierre sitting on the best cities so they could move,) and any Washington DC bid for baseball running into Peter Angelos.

All that said, the odds of a relocation are much greater than an expansion so the city might not be the best candidate because any move could be made at the whim of the owner. As often as not those move are pretty incomprehensable: Winnepeg to Phoenix where half the seats are obstructed? Peter Karmanos picking North Carolina over Minnesota?

Closed Thread