HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Cities making formal attempts to get an NHL franchise?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Foppa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Until this season, OKC was the leader in attendance, for minor league hockey, for three straight years. www.inthecrease.com They may be a solid draw as a minor league team, but averaging about 10,000 a year isn't really the draw the NHL is lookin for. How many more fans could there really be in the surrounding area?
Oklahoma City would be a very small market...ala Hartford, Buffalo, or Winnipeg (metro area is about 1.2 million). But if you take into account they have a solid hockey-friendly base already, a new 20,000 seat arena already built, and really no other major league attractions in the area, or state for that matter aside from college and high school football and hoops (which is a BIG deal)...its not as ludicrous as it first sounds.

As for KC...I know I have almost single handedly stirred the pot on this one lately...and there is some exciting stuff going on here...but I'm not sure I'd put us #1 on the list just yet. More like 'in the mix' if something were to happen with cities like Portland and Houston. And obviously...we are talking years down the road.

Old
05-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Prince Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite
Sure there's youth hockey in Seattle but how many NHL players do you know that came from Seattle? You can probably count all of them, historically, on one hand.
To be fair, the Metropolitans won the cup. Hockey history counts for a lot.

Fans showing up for games counts a lot too, though.

Old
05-17-2004, 09:05 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP
But 90% of Canada's population are hockey fans. I doubt the same is true for California.

While I would agree that 90% are not hockey fans, I still seem to talk hockey with a lot of people at work everyday. Remember, we're all transplants from somewhere else here in California. Heck, I live in the 6th largest city in the US and there is no hockey team here.......yet there are a ton of people from Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston.....and even Canada down here. To say that hockey is not followed here shows ignorance to the situation.......

......Oh, and they cover hockey on the evening news here more than ESPN does on sportscenter.

Old
05-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
While I would agree that 90% are not hockey fans, I still seem to talk hockey with a lot of people at work everyday. Remember, we're all transplants from somewhere else here in California. Heck, I live in the 6th largest city in the US and there is no hockey team here.......yet there are a ton of people from Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston.....and even Canada down here. To say that hockey is not followed here shows ignorance to the situation.......

......Oh, and they cover hockey on the evening news here more than ESPN does on sportscenter.
The San Diego Gulls have a rich history of hockey, just not NHL hockey. The Gulls have the best record to open a season durin their stint in the IHL, and have been around for the past 15 years with a sting previously in the WHL (www.hockeydb.com). There's a fanbase for hockey in San Diego, so there's reason why you hear about it so much, other than just bein transplants.

As for Seattle tho, bringin up the Metropolitans is nonsense, since most of those who would have seen a game are either dead, or livin in California, Arizona, or Florida now and waitin to die, bein the Metropolitans ceased to exist in 1924 and they would be 80 yrs old if they were just born then. Seattle havin a team that once won a Stanley Cup has no impact on their hockey of today.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mercury
To be fair, the Metropolitans won the cup. Hockey history counts for a lot.

Fans showing up for games counts a lot too, though.
The Portland Rosebuds were the first American team to play for the cup. However were talking ancient history here. Wasn't the canceled Flu Cup in Seattle too?

Old
05-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
The San Diego Gulls have a rich history of hockey, just not NHL hockey. The Gulls have the best record to open a season durin their stint in the IHL, and have been around for the past 15 years with a sting previously in the WHL (www.hockeydb.com). There's a fanbase for hockey in San Diego, so there's reason why you hear about it so much, other than just bein transplants.

As for Seattle tho, bringin up the Metropolitans is nonsense, since most of those who would have seen a game are either dead, or livin in California, Arizona, or Florida now and waitin to die, bein the Metropolitans ceased to exist in 1924 and they would be 80 yrs old if they were just born then. Seattle havin a team that once won a Stanley Cup has no impact on their hockey of today.
Good luck getting the public at large to believe that. Denver has an indentical fanbase and has had college hockey going strong for 60 years (8 national titles amoung our teams including this year,) and we still hear the "they think the NHL started in 1996" line.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:25 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think Winnipeg needs a team, and Quebec as well. It would also be interesting to see expansion in Regina. The population is small, but they manage to get 50,000 people into the football games.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:52 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I think Winnipeg needs a team, and Quebec as well. It would also be interesting to see expansion in Regina. The population is small, but they manage to get 50,000 people into the football games.
Regina? 50,000 is more than 25% of the entire city. And how the heck do they get 50,000 people into a one-sided stadium? Regina will never get anywhere near the NHL. Winnipeg has suburbs bigger than Regina and apparently can't support a team.

Old
05-18-2004, 05:53 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
You should never use football attendance as an argument when discussing hockey. A great many college football teams in the middle of nowhere get 80,000 into their stadiums.

It has everything to do with the very limited number of games available. It keeps the fans wanting more. If the NHL only played 22 games, almost every one of the 11 home games would be sellouts for every team.

As for the population of Regina, it has a metropolitan area population of 192,800 according to the 2001 census.

Old
05-18-2004, 01:12 PM
bleedgreen

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_194308.html
this article mentions some hartford talk thats been apparently lingering in that area. i would love this to happen, but i would be surprised if the league would go back there. interesting article though.

Old
05-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Is there any chance that after the new CBA it would be more affordable for a team to operate in Winnipeg or Quebec? Has there been any talk of this, or do they still think they are too small of a market?

Old
05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Prince Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Wasn't the canceled Flu Cup in Seattle too?
Yep. Over eighty years before the Toronto Maple SARS jokes, no less.

Closed Thread