HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McGill figuring big in Rangers' search

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2004, 06:19 AM
NYblades

vCash: 500
McGill figuring big in Rangers' search

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-166918c.html

Old
05-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblades
The more i see Tampa Bay play, the more I'm convinced this team should go with McGill. He is the choice especially if this team is serious about rebuilding.

Old
05-14-2004, 06:49 AM
NYblades

Hey Edge...

I like McGill as well, but if you had to chose between Joel Quenneville or Jacques Martin who would you select?

Old
05-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Edge

between those two? I gotta go with Martin.

To me Ottawa was a team that didn't always have the benefit of a "reserve" bank account if they needed to add a piece. Martin had to develop a lot of the talent and make younger pieces fit.

Quenneville had the benefit of guys like Pronger and Weight and Tkachuk, and other vets. That's not to say he wasn't a good coach, so much as it is to say he just had a little more "space" to work with.

Ottawa to me is a team that was always locked into their situation a little bit. Lalime will NEVER win a stanley cup as a starter, and signing a nice free agent wasnt an option, nor was trading for onewith a high salary.

I think Martin did an excellent job deal with factors ranging from Yashin to bankruptcy.

Quenneville inherited a Blues team that was always good enough to make the playoffs, but never win the cup. He made them a better regular season team, but they had too many high priced vets NOT to achieve better than they did in the playoffs and hasn't this team had enough high price failures?

As for Martin, people forget just how pitiful this team was for it's first several years. Martin came in and made something of the YOUNG pieces the team had put together. To me his failing was based on NOT having all the pieces to win, as compared to not making the right pieces fit. For years the sens lacked toughness, than they had toughness but lacked a big game goaltender.

Martin, no Martin, the Sens will not win with Lalime. I'll bet money on it.

Nothing against Q, but I gotta go with Martin if it's between the two of them.

Old
05-14-2004, 07:57 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
The more i see Tampa Bay play, the more I'm convinced this team should go with McGill. He is the choice especially if this team is serious about rebuilding.
I disagree. McGill doesn't have the muscle, experience, or success to stand up to Sather. Hiring him is hiring another Trottier; and if you do hire him, you'd better stock up on the batteries because Sather is going to use a lot of them on the walkies-talkie calls to the bench.

Martin has the pedigree to stand up to Sather if push comes to shove, and he's already shown the world that he can bring along young talent.

Personally I think Sather avoids Martin like the plague because Martin is a 100% defensive system guy. We all know how Sather feels about that (in spite of his lip-service to it last year).

IMO it'll be McGill at the end of the day. Since he's a guy who's being given his first NHL shot at a very young age, Sather can be sure McGill won't kick when he's told what to do.

Old
05-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I disagree. McGill doesn't have the muscle, experience, or success to stand up to Sather. Hiring him is hiring another Trottier; and if you do hire him, you'd better stock up on the batteries because Sather is going to use a lot of them on the walkies-talkie calls to the bench.

Martin has the pedigree to stand up to Sather if push comes to shove, and he's already shown the world that he can bring along young talent.

Personally I think Sather avoids Martin like the plague because Martin is a 100% defensive system guy. We all know how Sather feels about that (in spite of his lip-service to it last year).

IMO it'll be McGill at the end of the day. Since he's a guy who's being given his first NHL shot at a very young age, Sather can be sure McGill won't kick when he's told what to do.
so what you are saying is trottier and low were outstanding coaches and sather interfered to much?
come on mcgill is ready to coach this young team. he deserves his shot. it can't be worse than what we have seen the past 7 years

Old
05-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
so what you are saying is trottier and low were outstanding coaches and sather interfered to much?
come on mcgill is ready to coach this young team. he deserves his shot. it can't be worse than what we have seen the past 7 years
And even if he is, which I doubt, then we would atleast get Crosby next year

Old
05-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus

The "sather lap dog" concern aside (and it is a concern), I think what McGill would have going for him is a much younger team, and a few kids "of his own" that he molded in Hartford.

Old
05-15-2004, 09:37 AM
dedalus

Quote:
No I didn't say that at all. I didn't in any way, shape, or form discuss their qualities as coaches. I didn't discuss Low AT ALL. That said, yes, Sather interfered too much. Always has, and until he shows different, always will.

Quote:
come on mcgill is ready to coach this young team. he deserves his shot.
Those are two different statements. Even if he's deserving of a shot, that doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to coach this team.

In any event I don't know why you're kicking. I've already written that I believe McGill will be the guy.

Quote:
it can't be worse than what we have seen the past 7 years
Since I'm sincerely hoping for a genuine rebuilding rather than a one-and-done slipshod effort at rebuilding, I'm personally hoping next year's team will be WORSE than than those of the last 7 years. Picking top three in every round of next year's draft will go a long way towards making this team a serious contender in 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
I think what McGill would have going for him is a much younger team, and a few kids "of his own" that he molded in Hartford.
Of course that depends on Sather restraining himself in this summer's UFA market in order to leave slots open for young guys. Like the interference with his coaches, I won't count on that until I see it.

Last edited by dedalus: 05-15-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Closed Thread