HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Sign Oliver Ekman-Larsson to ELC

Old
05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Que Sera Sera

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Coyotes Sign Oliver Ekman-Larsson to ELC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5216119
I don't know the protocol on your boards, but I didn't see a "Confirmed" version of this so here you are. If it should be merged please merge it.
Congratulations on signing a player who in my opinion could become one of the best players in the NHL in just a few short years. He was incredible during the WCs for Team Sweden and you're lucky to have him.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

People are saying that he could be better than Tavares and Duchene. Now, we've gone all the way to could be one of the best in the world, in a few years? Man, I wish this hype would slow it's roll, just a bit. The facts are that he's a skinny teenager who's always played a quiet game. If anything, my expectations would be that he'll take a little time to adjust, and spend most of his career as an underrated player. Underrated like other quiet, efficient defensemen usually are. I'm thinking of guys like Teppo Numminen.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Kaizen

Contract numbers as per capgeek

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1755

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

About one hundred fifty kay for the AHL and about a n even million in the NHL, huh? I wonder what he would make in the SEL. Doesn't Sweden have the steepest taxes on the planet?

Old
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
About one hundred fifty kay for the AHL and about a n even million in the NHL, huh? I wonder what he would make in the SEL. Doesn't Sweden have the steepest taxes on the planet?
They are top 5, but not the top.

EDIT: though they have a hefty VAT, that could put them over the top.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

This is Fantastic that the signing has now been made official.

If it were up to me, I'd bring OEL into camp and get him into a few exhibition games, all the while knowing that he will go back to the SEL. The Coyotes Brass must resist the temptation to rush him into the NHL.

Have him go back home to where he's in his comfort zone, earn rave reviews in the SEL and possibly star in the WJC and just DOMINATE. Another year of dominating over seas and have him on a strict regimen so he can add some much needed mass to his frame before joining the Coyotes in 2011 - 12

I agree that the Coyotes very well could have the best player from that draft, but let's just settle down with those type of statements until he proves himself at the NHL level.

We've all heard the Lidstrom type comparisons and that would be a dream come true however if he were the next Numminen, I think we'd all be just as thrilled with that.

Another comparison I had heard from when he was charging up the draft rankings a year ago was Jyrkie Lumme. That may be more realistic than Lidstrom like, but we all can hope for the best. Just remember to cross your fingers for this one

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Contract Stipulation: If he doesn't make the Coyotes roster in 10/11 he will be allowed to head back to the SEL.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
yakko

I wonder how many years after the fact we'll hear about it if he elects to go back to the SEL, or does that only apply to players that go back to Russia?

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
People are saying that he could be better than Tavares and Duchene. Now, we've gone all the way to could be one of the best in the world, in a few years? Man, I wish this hype would slow it's roll, just a bit. The facts are that he's a skinny teenager who's always played a quiet game. If anything, my expectations would be that he'll take a little time to adjust, and spend most of his career as an underrated player. Underrated like other quiet, efficient defensemen usually are. I'm thinking of guys like Teppo Numminen.
Not sure if you know this, but he was listed at 187 lbs during the WC's. During the summer I'd guess he should be able to get to 195'ish.

(from the other thread by Joe Big Bear)
Quote:
Yes you're right but it's like saying "this guy will be a blast in nhl because he's a killer in AHL", the fact is that it would be better for OEL to play one full season in Eliteserein. But i may wrong
I don't see how your comparison applies. OEL outperformed Hedman in the WC's, so it's not a matter of them playing in different leagues.

And maybe it will be better for him to play in the SEL, I never said it wouldn't. All I'm saying is regardless of where he plays the next few years, it won't be in the AHL.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
hbk

OEL opened some eyes (again) at the World Championships. The patience and skill he displayed as an 18 year-old was impressive. He looked like a seasoned veteran with his decision making and his offensive instincts on the PP might be just what the doctor ordered for our forever anemic PP. I said back at the WJC that OEL could play at the NHL level then. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make the team this fall.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
hao chi

GM Don Maloney on Ekman-Larsson: "Looking at his game and the way he skates, I think he'll make a real strong run at a roster spot in Sept."

http://twitter.com/SergeyCoyotesPR

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Not sure if you know this, but he was listed at 187 lbs during the WC's. During the summer I'd guess he should be able to get to 195'ish.
I am aware of that 187 figure, I'm just not sure I buy it. I will admit, though, he does look like he's gained some weight. Also, he even LOOKS a bit older than he did a year ago.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
OEL opened some eyes (again) at the World Championships. [...] I'll be surprised if he doesn't make the team this fall.
That'd be cool. Sign Morris to $2.5 to $3M range, let Aucoin walk.

Jovo-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
OEL-Lepisto

Our 3rd pairing would pretty young though. I hope that doesn't bite us.

Event better would be getting rid of Jovo's contract (yeah, right):

Yandle-Michalek
OEL-Morris
Lepisto-Aucoin

...with the bottom 2 pairings being interchangeable.

I like this one much better not only in terms of $ saved but also overall balance. I like having a vet d-man on each pair. Jovo doesn't count because he needs his own veteran partner to cover his defensive liability.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
That'd be cool. Sign Morris to $2.5 to $3M range, let Aucoin walk.

Jovo-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
OEL-Lepisto

Our 3rd pairing would pretty young though. I hope that doesn't bite us.
Jovo Michalek
Yandle Morris
OEL Vandermeer
Lepisto

Vandermeer is still under contract and this allows us to swap Lepisto and OEL depending on the opponent. Keeps some veteran guys, toughness, and allows Tippett to ease OEL into the lineup. I personally like Aucoin better than Vandermeer. Both are vets and yes Aucoin is older but he also seems to mentor the young guys better. He did wonders for Yandle. Solid defensive type that allows OEL and Lepisto to let loose occasionally. Sign Aucoin for a cheap 1 yr and trade Vandermeer for a pick and/or young unknown (another Michalek please).

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I really think Ed Jovanovski is being underrated, here. He hit a major slump late in the season, and I'm not denying that. However, the first half of the year, he was our second most valuable player. It is extremely rare to find a defenseman as big, mean, and offensively gifted. He hasn't declined, and he's in the last year of his contract. He is a legitimate first pairing defenseman. I don't think "dumping" his contract is in order. He has value.

That said, if it's either Jovo OR two of Z, DMo, and Oak...well, I think the answer is obvious.

I can only imagine one team he'd be the least bit tempted to waive his NMC for, that might also be able to afford him. That's the Canucks. Their defense really let them down in the playoffs. Their fans are calling for a top pairing upgrade. Top goats are Bieksa and Alberts.

The Islanders will be desperate for veteren defenders. They have one(Streit) and a half(Martinek) under contract for next season. Other than that, it's all rookies.

Quote:
To VAN:
Ed Jovanovski
Nick Ross
'10 2nd(52nd)

To PHX:
Kevin Bieksa
Andrew Alberts
'10 1st(25th)
================
To NYI:
Kevin Bieksa
Jim Vandermeer
Patteri Nokelainen

To PHX:
'10 3rd(65th)
================
To BOS:
Phoenix 1st 2010 (22nd)

To PHX:
Toronto 2nd 2010 (32nd)
Boston 2nd 2010 (45th)
We save a TON of cash. Enough, probably, to keep the team together, and end with a much better looking draft. As it stands, we're really short on picks.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
zz

I'm not underrating Jovo. I do think he's got value. If we weren't cash-strapped and in need to resign a bunch of guys, I'd be alright with keeping him for his last contract year. But as you mentioned, he's just not worth 2 veteran players, which is pretty much what he's costing us.

Also, I was a little disappointed by his performance & leadership in the playoffs after Doan got injured. I was counting on him to bring intensity and physical play, taking over what Doan had started, but it didn't happen. He just looked like another pawn in Tippett's hands. Not bad, but not very noticeable either. That's just not enough to deserve - by a long shot - the highest salary on this team.

I like your trade-for pick ideas. The team would look pretty damn good, too.

I'm sure Nokelainen will be easy to give away, but what about Vandermeer? Why would the Islanders take him? He really hasn't done much this past season. His contract is not exactly super cheap, either. Were we just too deep and I missed out on his actual value?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I'm sure Nokelainen will be easy to give away, but what about Vandermeer? Why would the Islanders take him? He really hasn't done much this past season. His contract is not exactly super cheap, either. Were we just too deep and I missed out on his actual value?
The Islanders are not going to be good. It might be a tough sell for free agents. Vandermeer is overpaid, but is a good player. He was really a pleasant suprise to a lot of us until Z and Jovo went down, and his role was increased too much. Same goes for Bieksa, as far as being a good but overpaid defenseman. The Isles get both on one year deals. They don't have to dangle a two year deal at anyone, that way. Both players carry a ton of swagger and veteren presence. The Isles need that. Bieksa is a good gamble. A third round picks isn't much to give up. They already have a ton of picks, as it stands. We knew what Vandy was when we traded for him, and we still went for it. I could see the Isles doing the same.

Old
06-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Kaizen

TSN had Craig Button conduct a "do-over" of the 2009 first round. OEL moved up to #4 while Tavares fell to 3 and Duchene jumped to #1.

In the mock draft (Button and Pierre McGuire alternated) McGuire took Derek Forbort in the 13 slot and Button took Quinton Howden with the 22nd.

Personally I'd be happy with those picks, not that there's much chance it plays out that way.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote