HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Insomniac partners with EA to go multi-platform

Old
05-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Bruins4Lifer

vCash: 500
Insomniac partners with EA to go multi-platform

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...-partners.aspx

Good for them. Their titles weren't selling nearly as well as they should have on the PS3 platform.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:11 PM
MikeyMike01
U.S.S. Wang

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
The less exclusives the better. No one should be forced to choose between this great game and that great game, or spend thousands of dollars to play them all.

MikeyMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
The less exclusives the better. No one should be forced to choose between this great game and that great game, or spend thousands of dollars to play them all.
I've always found something inherently wrong with this sort of opinion... maybe I lack sympathy because I grew up during a time when cross platforming was a rarity and you just had to deal with the fact that you couldn't play some games. So now it looks like a huge sense of self entitlement that gamers, especially the younger crowd, feel they should have access to every game on their console of choice.

I mean if you're going to cross platform everything why even bother making separate consoles? Does it matter if you're playing a Playstation or an Xbox if they all have the same game? And of course we want competing consoles because competition creates a healthy market place and more innovative and powerfull consols. And as we have multiple consoles it should be obvious that developers can get the most out of the technology when building exclusively for that consoles. When you port you get less specialization and have to make design choices to accomodate both consoles, meaning you get a lesser game overall.

So while I understand why developers do it ($$$), sorry if I just can't get behind it and feel a little peeved at 'kids these days' that feel despite choosing to go with the Xbox 360 they're still entitled to be able to play Final Fantasy or God of War or Metal Gear Solid, and vice versa.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Yeah, I remember all the sweet RPGs that were only on the SNES.

SNES!

SNES!

BEST SYSTEM EVEEEEEEEEER!

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:57 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Sweet. Hopefully this means some good platforming games for the X360.. If that is indeed the type of game theyre making.

I think thats the type of game they've done best. Resistance was good too but there are already too many FPS games out these days.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Zodiac

i don't blame them one bit for wanting to branch out. hopefully its a good game whatever it is.

i do get a kick out of the sony fanboys getting their panties in a bunch over this though.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
i do get a kick out of the sony fanboys getting their panties in a bunch over this though.
Indeed. It's not like Ratchet & Clank is going multiplatform, or Resistance is... Its a new game.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Yeah, nothing wrong with developers making more money.

More money more games more fun.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I've always found something inherently wrong with this sort of opinion... maybe I lack sympathy because I grew up during a time when cross platforming was a rarity and you just had to deal with the fact that you couldn't play some games. So now it looks like a huge sense of self entitlement that gamers, especially the younger crowd, feel they should have access to every game on their console of choice.

I mean if you're going to cross platform everything why even bother making separate consoles? Does it matter if you're playing a Playstation or an Xbox if they all have the same game? And of course we want competing consoles because competition creates a healthy market place and more innovative and powerfull consols. And as we have multiple consoles it should be obvious that developers can get the most out of the technology when building exclusively for that consoles. When you port you get less specialization and have to make design choices to accomodate both consoles, meaning you get a lesser game overall.

So while I understand why developers do it ($$$), sorry if I just can't get behind it and feel a little peeved at 'kids these days' that feel despite choosing to go with the Xbox 360 they're still entitled to be able to play Final Fantasy or God of War or Metal Gear Solid, and vice versa.
Though I do agree that exclusives allow a developer to optimize their game better, I don't think Sony fans are entitled to FF and MGS since those games are not developed by a SCE developer. Just like MS fans aren't entitled to Bungie games anymore (after Halo Reach), and probably won't be privy to exclusive Gears Of War games down the road, unless MS buys the IP. Fans of the console are only entitled to IPs owned by the publisher and they have to start understanding this and researching who owns what before they commit to a console (if they have to choose one).

I would have to say this lack of third party exclusives has been good for the industry as it has forced the big three to place resources into first party development, especially Sony who have developed some good exclusive games this generation that have no chance of showing up on any other platform as long as Sony is still in the business. I would like to see them have more success on this front and force MS to up the quality of their first party offerings (or force them to buy full exclusivity and subsidize development of third party games).

meehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Yeah, I remember all the sweet RPGs that were only on the SNES.

SNES!

SNES!

BEST SYSTEM EVEEEEEEEEER!
Pfft! Sega Megadrive/Genesis FTW!

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
19nazzy

That sucks. Not because I think things should be exclusive but PS3 owners tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to multi-platform games. It's nice having games built and optimized for the PS3 hardware rather than just getting the 360 version.

05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Likewise. Would have been more hilarious if they had announced this at E3.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Sportacus
:)

Quote:

are they? I'm ( for most intents and purposes) one and I don' really mind, except for the reason 19nazzy said.

05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:

It's like I'm watching one of those stupid TD Bank commercials.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:03 PM
bdp

Wonder which is the bigger blow, MS losing Bungie or Sony losing Insomniac?

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:09 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
are they? I'm ( for most intents and purposes) one and I don' really mind, except for the reason 19nazzy said.
I guess...

As a PS3 owner I don't really care, I'm kinda excited to see them put out a completely new game. They'll finish Resistance 3 first so I don't know when we will be seeing it but the extra cash and first time going multiplatform should at least make them produce something pretty good. Not like the don't anyways.

As far as what 19nazzy is saying I think they would still develop it for the PS3 and then port it over since they have been exclusively working with it for years now. Probably much more efficient for their team but who knows.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:41 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
As far as what 19nazzy is saying I think they would still develop it for the PS3 and then port it over since they have been exclusively working with it for years now. Probably much more efficient for their team but who knows.
One can hope but from what I understand, it's easier to port 360 --> PS3 rather than PS3 --> 360.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

good games should be mult platform.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:23 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
That sucks. Not because I think things should be exclusive but PS3 owners tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to multi-platform games. It's nice having games built and optimized for the PS3 hardware rather than just getting the 360 version.
When the PS3 first started out, most developers were already used to developing for the Xbox and had engines that were already coded to work within the general limitations of the 360. Once the PS3 came out with it's garbage development tools (which haven't improved at all), developers just tended to take the easy route and just port the same exact game over to PS3, not taking advantage of the better hardware. In theory, it's much easier to do this than it is to develop for the better hardware of the PS3 and try to scale down for the 360.

This is why this happens, so don't just think the developers are trying to screw over PS3 owners (not that i'm saying that you are). Blame Sony for coming to the party late and providing garbage development tools.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons View Post
It's like I'm watching one of those stupid TD Bank commercials.
Well I don't know about you, but I look forward to the day when I'm old and grey while the grandkids are playing their fancy new Sony VRStation7200 tales about back when I was their age video games were all low res pixels played on 12" TV's with controllers that only had two buttons and you only got 3 lives then it was game over and you had to restart from the beginning, up hill both ways!

As for today, I don't really have the time or money to play all the good games that come out, so the games I do get I want them to be the best they can be, which you're not going to get if they're cross platform. I'm not an industry insider so I wouldn't know, but really the only justification I'll accept is that companies need to cross platform or they won't be able to earn enough money to develop, which I think is kind of sad. Fulfilling some young punk's silly sense of self entitelment I could care less about.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:30 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Indeed. It's not like Ratchet & Clank is going multiplatform, or Resistance is... Its a new game.
yeah, but if you read some articles they are trying to make it seem like that. on Kotaku today they had this story and a picture of clank with the xbox logo in his eye.

http://kotaku.com/5547071/ratchet--c...e-xbox-360-ps3

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
When the PS3 first started out, most developers were already used to developing for the Xbox and had engines that were already coded to work within the general limitations of the 360. Once the PS3 came out with it's garbage development tools (which haven't improved at all), developers just tended to take the easy route and just port the same exact game over to PS3, not taking advantage of the better hardware. In theory, it's much easier to do this than it is to develop for the better hardware of the PS3 and try to scale down for the 360.

This is why this happens, so don't just think the developers are trying to screw over PS3 owners (not that i'm saying that you are). Blame Sony for coming to the party late and providing garbage development tools.
I've gotten the impression that it's cheaper(not faster or easier) to develop on the PS3, then convert to the 360 than vice versa. I.e that it's easier/quicker to convert from PS3 to 360.

Old
05-26-2010, 04:47 AM
RoadDoggFL

vCash: 595
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
As for today, I don't really have the time or money to play all the good games that come out, so the games I do get I want them to be the best they can be, which you're not going to get if they're cross platform. I'm not an industry insider so I wouldn't know, but really the only justification I'll accept is that companies need to cross platform or they won't be able to earn enough money to develop, which I think is kind of sad. Fulfilling some young punk's silly sense of self entitelment I could care less about.
Or going cross-platform more than doubles the potential market for a game, making the game more profitable and affording the developer more resources for the development of their next title.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I've gotten the impression that it's cheaper(not faster or easier) to develop on the PS3, then convert to the 360 than vice versa. I.e that it's easier/quicker to convert from PS3 to 360.
i think i remember reading that EA said it was easier to port from the ps3 to the 360 rather than from the 360 to the ps3. i think ...not 100%.

the main reasons i vaguely remember reading about as to why the ps3 multiplatform games aren't usually quite on par with the 360 is because it supposedly has a weaker GPU and because of how sony has their memory set up ...256 for the system and 256 for the GPU making things more difficult for developers. i think the xbox GPU has full access to the 512 meg of ram in the 360 ...so that makes things easier for devs. they don't have to tweek as much i guess ...some fanboys calling them 'lazy' because of it.

its been so long since i read about that stuff, so it might not be completely accurate ...but i'm sure i remember reading something like that.

anyway ...i can't see why the sony fanboys would get upset over this ...they aren't losing Rachet and Clank or Resistence (because sony owns those properties) and Insomniac stated that they still plan on working on those titles for Sony in the future ...so nothing really changes for Sony.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano View Post
Wonder which is the bigger blow, MS losing Bungie or Sony losing Insomniac?
Look at the sales figures. Insomniac isn't Sony's crown jewel (Santa Monica or Naughty Dog would be), whereas Bungie or Epic would be that for Microsoft.

I'd say this is about the level as Microsoft losing BioWare to EA.

But damn if John Ricotello hasn't completely turned that company around. It's amazing that EA has done what no publisher seemed willing to do and take their hands off of people's IPs. They realized that rather than drive IPs into the ground the way they used to do it, you can let the dev own the IP while keeping publishing rights. Because no developer is going to try to make a game that will lose money, you can let them design their games.

Last edited by Jill Sandwich: 05-26-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote