HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

"No Red Line" defensive system...

Old
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Johnny Engine

vCash: 500
"No Red Line" defensive system...

I'm not sure if this is the exact forum I should put this in, but...

A few years ago, at the Salt Lake City Olympics, I remember hearing a lot about Canadian defensemen (particularly power-oriented guys like Rob Blake) having to adjust to playing with no red line, and using some sort of defensive system the announcers were calling "4 across center" or something like that, used to deal with long-bomb passes from the opposing defense.
Since the NHL has done away with the red line, I've heard nothing about it. Anyone know what this system actually entails, and why it was used in European/International hockey but not the "New NHL"?

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Razzmatazz

vCash: 500
I think part of that is because the ice is so much wider in international. That didn't come up in Vancouver because they were using NHL rinks.

From 2002, I remember the Germans were not at the level of talent as most of the other clubs, so they just played quarters across the neutral zone with one forechecker.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote