HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak wants to take time before thinking new contract

Old
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
This type of comment absolutely baffles me. Halak's performance this year should affect his ability to negotiate his next contract. That's about it. What Halak did this year should in NO way guarantee him any number of games next year. If Halak wants to be the goalie of this team, then go out next year and prove it. If he can play better than Price/other goalie, then he will get more starts. If the Price/other goalie outperforms him, he won't get as many starts. I think management has shown this year that they will play the better goalie... period.

Halak is a 25 year-old RFA who hasn't even played a full season as a starter. He does not deserve to just get 60+ starts next season, he needs to continue this level of play and show that he deserves it. This has nothing to do with a team 'believing' in him or not and bringing back both Halak and Price would have nothing to do with the team 'believing' in either one. That being said, I think Halak understands this; fans who think otherwise are just out to lunch.
Bang on! Couldn't have said it better myself...

Honestly, eveyone here is just giving themselves a big headache for nothing...the goalie situation will play itself out. One of the goalies will step up and show he can be counted on for 60+ games...but as of today, NEITHER of them has proven they can do this.

Halak IMO should get first dibs next year to prove he can be that man...but it's not a given he will.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Perrah

Quote:
This type of comment absolutely baffles me. Halak's performance this year should affect his ability to negotiate his next contract. That's about it. What Halak did this year should in NO way guarantee him any number of games next year. If Halak wants to be the goalie of this team, then go out next year and prove it. If he can play better than Price/other goalie, then he will get more starts. If the Price/other goalie outperforms him, he won't get as many starts. I think management has shown this year that they will play the better goalie... period.

Halak is a 25 year-old RFA who hasn't even played a full season as a starter. He does not deserve to just get 60+ starts next season, he needs to continue this level of play and show that he deserves it. This has nothing to do with a team 'believing' in him or not and bringing back both Halak and Price would have nothing to do with the team 'believing' in either one. That being said, I think Halak understands this; fans who think otherwise are just out to lunch.
Exactly if he wants to be guaranteed 60+ starts pack your bags, if he wants to earn them while getting a raise then knock yourself out. People saying to give him a long term contract are crazy too.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I just can't get how anybody would want to keep both, knowing we have some SERIOUS ISSUES to solve and holes to fill in the organization, not only for the short-term, but on long-term as far as forwards are concerned. We just don't have that big, young forward to build around in the future. We might not have huge issues right now, but there's just nothing coming up anytime soon is the system as far as forwards are concerned. I'm not saying Pacioretty is a bust. Although, he just lost two important years of development, and I can't see any gamebreaker potential in him.
You know what would be a more SERIOUS ISSUE than the ones you want to fill? If we'd trade the wrong goalie and the other one can't provide....

Thing is, nobody is still sure about neither of those goalies. Yet, we'd trade one of them right now just for the sake of getting something in return. We shouldn't make the mistake of trading either one just because the rest of our lineup is either not attractive, or we'd want to keep them.

I'd keep both. I'm more interested to know which one IS the one instead of getting something right now without knowing if filling a spot, wouldn't empty another...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:32 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Lets say I agree with your assessment of the team's weaknesses. There are other ways to fill those holes than trading one of our goalies (FAs, trading other players, Hamilton, etc.). My argument is that, right now, we have the luxury of having two great YOUNG, RFA goalies. Those words are important precisely because we are in a cap world, where neither is getting paid what they will be when they are 30. In a cap world you KEEP young talent, you don't trade it away. One day, we'll need to decide between Halak/Price, but that day is not today.
Let's take a look at this:

Hamilton isn't an option, since nobody down there is suited for a top-6 role in the NHL at this point. So let's forget this right now.

Free agents could be an option, but once again, with very few quality UFAs this summer, we could have to overpay big time. Knowing the situation in Montreal and all, it's more than likely. Given our cap situation, I think we can forget it as well.

Trades are the most interesting given option, but once again, can you actually afford to deal any of your best forwards? Not really... We can't even afford to let Plekanec walk. Both Kostitsyns have next to no value. As far as d-men are concerned, well Markov and Subban are too valuable. Hamrlik wouldn't get us anything but another overpaid, underperforming player player, and I feel Spacek still is a valuable mentor for our young d-men. Gill and Gorges are not going anywhere after the playoffs they had neither.

So what are the options going from there? Get a cap-friendly asset to make us stronger up front. How can you acquire a strong, cap-friendly asset up front? By trading a strong, cap-friendly asset from an area of strength. At this point, Price and Halak are arguably our two best assets as far as cap-numbers, impact, youth and talent are concerned...

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:35 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You know what would be a more SERIOUS ISSUE than the ones you want to fill? If we'd trade the wrong goalie and the other one can't provide....

Thing is, nobody is still sure about neither of those goalies. Yet, we'd trade one of them right now just for the sake of getting something in return. We shouldn't make the mistake of trading either one just because the rest of our lineup is either not attractive, or we'd want to keep them.

I'd keep both. I'm more interested to know which one IS the one instead of getting something without knowing if filling a spot, wouldn't empty another...
This is a risk I'm willing to take, given the pedigree of each of these players. At some point, you can't just stay put... You have to take some risks in order to improve your team. Giong forward, I feel both of these goalies are capable of feeling a starter's shoes in the NHL. I also feel we should have learned in the 3rd round of these playoffs, that goaltending isn't ALL THAT important. I mean, we're going to see two teams battle for the Cup with Niemi and Leighton as their respective #1 goalies... Jeez...

Old
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If he still is the backup goalie one year from now, do you think his value will have gone up?

What about if Halak regresses? Do you think he'll have improved his value?
I mentionned this earlier, but the goalie market is unpredictable...it's not like forwards or defensman, there are only 60 NHL jobs available for goalies and only 30 of them can be starters and that number is actually smaller because most NHL teams have a designated starter and backup.

So it's hard to say what the value of an NHL goalie is...his value will most likely be determined by the need if an injury happens or if some team is unhappy with the goaltending they are receiving, etc.

Quote:
Price still is very young, and it could be tempting for other teams to bite and give a huge return for him...
Agreed...but he isn't the only young goalie who could be made available. Corey Schneider, M-A Bernier could also go on the market.

Quote:
Halak probably was the biggest story of those playoffs in the NHL, many teams would give a more than decent return for him...
In theory, yes, but in reality...looking at some of the recent trades for goalies, it's not quite true.

Quote:
And you actually want to keep one of our best asset (whoever it is) on the bench for 40-50-60 games? Yeah, great assets management here... Let's wait until Halak hits unrestricted free agency, and let's let him leave for nothing...
No...that's not what I said. But what's wrong with Price sitting on the bench. In ANY OTHER city but Montreal, a 22 year old goalie playing backup would be normal. But no, in Montreal, it means he's got to be traded. Look, i'm not saying let either one of them rot on the bench, what i'm saying is before just trading one for a 2nd round pick, you keep both of them since they both make the Habs better than a potential draft pick would/could.

if you can find a team willing to give you value for either...go ahead...but I just dont' think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Quote:
You've got to learn something from your mistakes at some point
Took the words right out of my mouth...

Old
05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
This is a risk I'm willing to take, given the pedigree of each of these players. At some point, you can't just stay put... You have to take some risks in order to improve your team. Giong forward, I feel both of these goalies are capable of feeling a starter's shoes in the NHL. I also feel we should have learned in the 3rd round of these playoffs, that goaltending isn't ALL THAT important. I mean, we're going to see two teams battle for the Cup with Niemi and Leighton as their respective #1 goalies... Jeez...
Yet, when you look at every other cup winners, they all had superior goaltending from superior goaltenderes (some might bring Osgood in the subject, I'd say that Osgood wasn't seen as he really was, see Detroit with Howard in net...) You can't take 1 year and believe it's the norm. Yet, Chicago might be able to do it because of all the all stars they have in their lineup. I can assure you that trading either one of our goalies, won't fill our roster of all-stars....As far as Leighton is concerned, well it's a story about a goalie being hot at the right time.....not sure you can build a team "hoping" that your goalie ends up hot at the right time.....Needless to say how Philly is build as well, probably one of the deepest offensive teams out there. Amongst the teams with the best youngsters in a top 6 lineup. Again, you'd trade either one, and I'm not sure that you can get that either. Especially with how the salary cap is looking for us. Especially if our heavy contracts can't be moved.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I mentionned this earlier, but the goalie market is unpredictable...it's not like forwards or defensman, there are only 60 NHL jobs available for goalies and only 30 of them can be starters and that number is actually smaller because most NHL teams have a designated starter and backup.

So it's hard to say what the value of an NHL goalie is...his value will most likely be determined by the need if an injury happens or if some team is unhappy with the goaltending they are receiving, etc.

Agreed...but he isn't the only young goalie who could be made available. Corey Schneider, M-A Bernier could also go on the market.

In theory, yes, but in reality...looking at some of the recent trades for goalies, it's not quite true.

No...that's not what I said. But what's wrong with Price sitting on the bench. In ANY OTHER city but Montreal, a 22 year old goalie playing backup would be normal. But no, in Montreal, it means he's got to be traded. Look, i'm not saying let either one of them rot on the bench, what i'm saying is before just trading one for a 2nd round pick, you keep both of them since they both make the Habs better than a potential draft pick would/could.

if you can find a team willing to give you value for either...go ahead...but I just dont' think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Took the words right out of my mouth...
Thing is, the Habs have HUGE weaknesses all along the organization... Right now, we have nothing up front to complement Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez and Plekanec (if he stays). We have nobody in our system neither to develop into this big body presence, always willing to crash and bang to the net and screen the opposing goalie. And stop right now with Pacioretty, he's nothing like a power forward. He could develop in a serviceable top-6 player, a bit like we thought Higgins was going to be, but nothing more.

I saw Clowe and Murray involved in a potential deal on another thread... If it was offered to me, I would take this and run.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
You're too used of MAB aren't you?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Yet, when you look at every other cup winners, they all had superior goaltending from superior goaltenderes (some might bring Osgood in the subject, I'd say that Osgood wasn't seen as he really was, see Detroit with Howard in net...) You can't take 1 year and believe it's the norm. Yet, Chicago might be able to do it because of all the all stars they have in their lineup. I can assure you that trading either one of our goalies, won't fill our roster of all-stars....As far as Leighton is concerned, well it's a story about a goalie being hot at the right time.....not sure you can build a team "hoping" that your goalie ends up hot at the right time.....Needless to say how Philly is build as well, probably one of the deepest offensive teams out there. Amongst the teams with the best youngsters in a top 6 lineup. Again, you'd trade either one, and I'm not sure that you can get that either. Especially with how the salary cap is looking for us. Especially if our heavy contracts can't be moved.
So you just stay put and watch everybody move but you this summer? Because I really don't see where the Habs could improve. Minus Subban, nobody from the inside of the organization has the capacity of giving this team what it's looking for, this summer.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:

I'd keep both. I'm more interested to know which one IS the one instead of getting something right now without knowing if filling a spot, wouldn't empty another...
Same here...+ the Habs have the luxury of being able to take their time in making this decision. Again, it's 2nd down and 10...it's not 4th down with no time on the clock. The Habs should take full advantage of being able to control where either of their goalies goes or how much they can make. No need to play that card right now...

Unless of course another team really likes Price or Halak and is willing to overpay based on the potential both halak and/or price have.

But trading a goalie for a draft pick right now makes NO SENSE for the Habs...

This reminds me of the Blackhawks in the early 90's when they had Belfour and Hasek...they identified Belfour as their guy, which is fine, but they failed to determine Hasek's proper value and they ended up just trading him for Stéphane Beauregard and a draft pick.

Meanwhile, Hasek went on to become of the greatest goalies of our era...was it ok to trade him? Absolutely...was Stéphane Beauregard a good return...HELL NO.

Old
05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I saw Clowe and Murray involved in a potential deal on another thread... If it was offered to me, I would take this and run.
But it's not offered to you. And probably won't be. And almost certainly won't be if you approach the summer feeling like you simply *MUST* find a trade for one of your goalies. 29 other GMs will be circling like Sharks in the pool. You approach it like you're going to keep them. Probably nobody actually does come along with the Clowe+Murray offer, anyway, and you do end up keeping them. But if somebody does, sure, all of us who are arguing for keeping them would probably agree that it's a trade well worth considering.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thing is, the Habs have HUGE weaknesses all along the organization
You're exaggerating...the Habs don't have HUGE weaknesses.

Quote:
Right now, we have nothing up front to complement Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez and Plekanec (if he stays). We have nobody in our system neither to develop into this big body presence, always willing to crash and bang to the net and screen the opposing goalie. And stop right now with Pacioretty, he's nothing like a power forward. He could develop in a serviceable top-6 player, a bit like we thought Higgins was going to be, but nothing more.
lol...I haven't mentionned Pacioretty.

As for the rest of your post...there's alot of time between now and the start of next season. Who knows, the answer may come from within the organization. No one knows...

Quote:
I saw Clowe and Murray involved in a potential deal on another thread... If it was offered to me, I would take this and run
So would I...but I think McGuire was just putting his own spin on this proposal. He doesn't know whether or not San Jose would take that deal. I heard the segment and it was complete guesswork

Old
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
I agree with you on that debate. But you know where I stand on that statement I took out.....Price might be traded 'cause of the distraction factor. BGL and SKost were put away because they were distraction. Were they bad influences? We won't know the extent of it especially now that we know that the vets didn't mind for Martin to put SKost back in the lineup. If a guy would be THAT problematic, you don't want him back in your lineup.

Now, don't you agree that this freakin goalie debate is the mother's of all distractions? Both goalies already talking about how difficult it is. Martin having to talk about it every day. People talking about it every day. To the extent that it's not about who we like more, but we hate more.....It happened to be a major distraction because of how Price was developed. Tons of praises to Gainey for some of his moves but that one will be one of the worst and maybe with huge consequences. It happens now that the people adore Halak and "despise" Price. Reason now why you see a little more some damage control towards Price saying how mature and how responsible he has become. But that's a reason why people would like to see a guy like Price being traded.

Personnally, I'm ready to have both goalies in my lineup under one condition. No more distractions. Halak is our #1. Like you said, the rope might be shorter. But I'd name him #1 from the start with, in mind, to give him 55ish games to him 25ish games to Price. You need to start building some love affair once again with Price. And then, if Halak starts to show some failure, Price comes back, might save the day and he comes back into everybody's heart.

But until then, you can't trade anybody based on what we know. It just pisses me off that everything could have been avoided if Price would have had at least 1 regular season in the AHL so he'd build his confidence and not start the way he did to then fall on his face and be so slowly to come back up. A little patient was needed, you know...the same kind of patience we had for Subban and was praised by Martin. How can Jacques Martin praise the organizaton for giving Subban the time to develop and us not think that we shouldn't have done it with Price?

That way, a 21-22 year old on the bench would have been totally welcomed. But now, you are not sitting a 22 year old on the bench...you are sitting the guy that was proclaimed the saviour. The guy that showed us we didn't need a vet to back him up.

As a coach, or a GM, I'd put everything back in perspective. Halak is our #1. Price is still developing. He should have developed in the AHL, unfortunately we thought that the NHL was a development league and made a mistake. Time to repair it by giving him extra time to develop and mature.

Old
05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Like others have said, I think Halak wanting to take time doesn't mean he wants to play the market but instead take a week or two to let the season sink in before he begins negotiations.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Now, don't you agree that this freakin goalie debate is the mother's of all distractions?
I can't tell. I know it's annoying. As a fan. It didn't seem to distract Halak down the stretch or in the playoffs. Not sure about Price, but actually he started talking and acting a couple times there like maybe he was finally getting the picture that the silver platter wasn't there anymore and he'd have to pay his dues like everybody else.

But it's not anything we really have visibility on, not really. I'd be happy to invest another year in monitoring it. Besides hey, if the goalies are cool with it, maybe it's actually a *good* thing if the media and fans are all hyperventilating about them, and the rest of the team gets a break. Halak seems really focused. Price always used to be praised for being so cool. Maybe they *can* handle it and turn it to an overall advantage.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
I agree with you on that debate. But you know where I stand on that statement I took out.....Price might be traded 'cause of the distraction factor. BGL and SKost were put away because they were distraction. Were they bad influences? We won't know the extent of it especially now that we know that the vets didn't mind for Martin to put SKost back in the lineup. If a guy would be THAT problematic, you don't want him back in your lineup.

Now, don't you agree that this freakin goalie debate is the mother's of all distractions? Both goalies already talking about how difficult it is. Martin having to talk about it every day. People talking about it every day. To the extent that it's not about who we like more, but we hate more.....It happened to be a major distraction because of how Price was developed. Tons of praises to Gainey for some of his moves but that one will be one of the worst and maybe with huge consequences. It happens now that the people adore Halak and "despise" Price. Reason now why you see a little more some damage control towards Price saying how mature and how responsible he has become. But that's a reason why people would like to see a guy like Price being traded.

Personnally, I'm ready to have both goalies in my lineup under one condition. No more distractions. Halak is our #1. Like you said, the rope might be shorter. But I'd name him #1 from the start with, in mind, to give him 55ish games to him 25ish games to Price. You need to start building some love affair once again with Price. And then, if Halak starts to show some failure, Price comes back, might save the day and he comes back into everybody's heart.

But until then, you can't trade anybody based on what we know. It just pisses me off that everything could have been avoided if Price would have had at least 1 regular season in the AHL so he'd build his confidence and not start the way he did to then fall on his face and be so slowly to come back up. A little patient was needed, you know...the same kind of patience we had for Subban and was praised by Martin. How can Jacques Martin praise the organizaton for giving Subban the time to develop and us not think that we shouldn't have done it with Price?

That way, a 21-22 year old on the bench would have been totally welcomed. But now, you are not sitting a 22 year old on the bench...you are sitting the guy that was proclaimed the saviour. The guy that showed us we didn't need a vet to back him up.

As a coach, or a GM, I'd put everything back in perspective. Halak is our #1. Price is still developing. He should have developed in the AHL, unfortunately we thought that the NHL was a development league and made a mistake. Time to repair it by giving him extra time to develop and mature.
This is where I disagree with your post's main idea.

I conced that based on what we know, we can't know who for sure is going to be the best goalie in the long road. We do know, although, that right now, Halak is a step ahead.

HOWEVER, do you absolutely need to keep the best goalie among those two? Will the gap between those two be big enough to keep waiting, ignoring the potential for a great return in a deal?

At this point, though, we know one thing for sure: Both of those guys are going to be/are #1 goalies, and will keep being so for years to come. Once MIGHT end up better than the other, but if you still have one solid goaltender, if you sign a solid veteran backup at a discount to help him, and you get something you sorely lack up front in the deal, why should you stay put?

Old
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I
Quote:
Yes, but it's typical of the Montreal meda/fan base. It's always 'divide & conquer'...but I'd like to think the coaching staff/management/players understand it's about icing the best possible lineup. And right now, the Habs best possible lineup includes BOTH goalies. If another team comes along that can offer a package that can make the substraction of either goalie + the addition of new players = the Habs a better team than with BOTH goalies, then be my guest and trade either one of them.

I'd just be VERY careful of trading the ONE AND ONLY clear organizational strength.

Quote:
I'd also have Halak as my #1 heading into next year...but I wouldn't promise him a number of games. As long as his play merits it, he'll get the majority of the starts. If his play doesn't warrant it, Price will get more starts. I'm sorry, but to me, Halak is as proven as Carey Price is. He hasn't accomplished anything more than Price in the grand scheme of things.

The only thing Halak has earned IMO is the chance to start next year as the clear cut #1 goalie.

Old
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
So you just stay put and watch everybody move but you this summer? Because I really don't see where the Habs could improve. Minus Subban, nobody from the inside of the organization has the capacity of giving this team what it's looking for, this summer.
As far as our goalies are concerned, I would stay put. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t try to do other moves. I will not make a mistake for the next 10 years just because of what could happen this upcoming year. We are a little tight to the cap. That’s the type of year we will be having. The other teams that will move are the ones with some space to move. We moved last summer. Some other teams didn’t. That’s how it goes and especially in a cap world. But while unspectacular, there might some other moves possible.

Old
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
But it's not anything we really have visibility on, not really. I'd be happy to invest another year in monitoring it. Besides hey, if the goalies are cool with it, maybe it's actually a *good* thing if the media and fans are all hyperventilating about them, and the rest of the team gets a break.
In their post-season interviews, it was obvious that neither of them want to return if the other is coming back, they don't want a 50/50 split because they both consider themselves as "#1 goalies". Pierre Gauthier can decide to keep both again for next year since they are RFA's, but that will just leave them both unhappy again. It's a tricky situation because despite his great season/playoffs, I'm still not sold on Halak in the long-term because I've seen it before (career years and then collapse). And despite Price's potential, I'm worried about how long he will take to reach it in Montreal or he goes back to his lazy habits if Halak is traded and there is no longer any competition between the two.

Quote:
The problem is that Carey Price wants to play more than 25+ games in a season. He already considers himself a #1 goalie, and I honestly don't think it would be beneficial for his long-term development if he's playing so few games. If management wants him to get better, they need to play him more. He can only do so much in practice; playing the games help.

Last edited by eightyseven: 05-26-2010 at 12:20 PM.
eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
In their post-season interviews, it was obvious that neither of them want to return if the other is coming back, they don't want a 50/50 split because they both consider themselves as "#1 goalies". Pierre Gauthier can decide to keep both again for next year since they are RFA's, but that will just leave them both unhappy again. It's a tricky situation because despite his great season/playoffs, I'm still not sold on Halak in the long-term because I've seen it before (career years and then collapse). And despite Price's potential, I'm worried about how long he will take to reach it in Montreal or he goes back to his lazy habits if Halak is traded and there is no longer any competition between the two.
LMAO! Where do people come up with this stuff? I love it when people make up their own interpretations of people by looking at their demeanor, then they try to pass off their interpretations as facts!

Here's an ACTUAL quote from Jaroslav Halak from yesterday

Halak appears to have supplanted former first-round draft choice Carey Price as the team's first-string goaltender, but was vague about his future. Halak's a potential restricted free agent with arbitration rights.

Asked specifically if he believed he was now the team's No. 1 goalie, he evaded the issue. "Maybe lately," he said. "But it's hard to say now.

"We've got two young goalies. I'm sure management will do its best to give us both a chance to play."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/opini...#ixzz0p3ahDBpP

Yeah...that sure sounds like a guy whose fed up with his situation and has demanded to be the #1 guy next year

Old
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Asked specifically if he believed he was now the team's No. 1 goalie, he evaded the issue. "Maybe lately," he said. "But it's hard to say now.

"We've got two young goalies. I'm sure management will do its best to give us both a chance to play."

Yeah...that sure sounds like a guy whose fed up with his situation and has demanded to be the #1 guy next year
Jaro's agent, Allan Walsh, wants the organization to hand him a long-term contract to show they're committed to him as a #1 going forward and Walsh is trying his best to get Price out of the picture. So unless Jaro completely disagrees with Walsh, I'm sure he shares the same sentiment (but is perhaps not public with it...clever move on his part).

Watch Price's RDS interview. He was asked if he could live another year with him sharing the workload with Jaro next year, and he said it would be "tough" for both of them because they both feel that they can play as #1 goalies. Game experience helps one's game, practices can only do so much. Price/his agent are basically expecting the organization to choose one of them going forward (which is what Walsh wants too).

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
LMAO! Where do people come up with this stuff? I love it when people make up their own interpretations of people by looking at their demeanor, then they try to pass off their interpretations as facts!

Here's an ACTUAL quote from Jaroslav Halak from yesterday

Halak appears to have supplanted former first-round draft choice Carey Price as the team's first-string goaltender, but was vague about his future. Halak's a potential restricted free agent with arbitration rights.

You're right, it's fans and media speculating but can you honestly believe they want a split? halak already asked for a trade when he was 1B and price was 1A, now...if it's still uncertain, he may want to avoid the whole ordeal again, as will Price. Again, speculation, but they don't want to battle it out for #1 till they are 27 and UFA.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Jaro's agent, Allan Walsh, wants the organization to hand him a long-term contract to show they're committed to him as a #1 going forward and Walsh is trying his best to get Price out of the picture. So unless Jaro completely disagrees with Walsh, I'm sure he shares the same sentiment (but is perhaps not public with it...clever move on his part).

Watch Price's RDS interview. He was asked if he could live another year with him sharing the workload with Jaro next year, and he said it would be "tough" for both of them because they both feel that they can play as #1 goalies. Game experience helps one's game, practices can only do so much. Price/his agent are basically expecting the organization to choose one of them going forward (which is what Walsh wants too).
Of course they both want to be #1...but they're both gonna have to earn it.

Old
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:

I'm definitely not saying Halak should get 60 games next year if he doesn't play well, but does anybody really think he'll get that opportunity if Price is still there? I don't -- we'll likely be looking at a change every time the team loses a game.

Personally, I'd be okay with that -- I think competition brings out the best in a player -- but I think we're at a point where we have to pick one and Halak has shown me a lot more so I'd lean towards him. There's obviously a huge amount of risk involved, but I think it's a necessary gamble.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote