HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Foote to re-sign with Avs 1-year deal

Old
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
AyVee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
Trading Liles is a bad idea and not very possible at the moment. He was probably our best player in the playoffs. He played fairly well all year and I never understood the trade rumors. Cumiskey, though, I'd be fine with dealing.
From what I see we could use both of them and dealing EITHER at this point could prove to be a mistake. Liles played hard sure, in the playoffs and towards the tail end of the season. I'm for giving him one more year here. If he doesn't do well next year then I don't want him back.
Cumiskey's still pretty young. I'd like to see what he can do next year now that we have a new system of players.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
If Francois Giguere were still the GM, what would Foote's new contract have been?
4 years, 12 mills

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Stazz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Foote's deal is worth $1 million in base salary plus $250,000 in bonuses, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.
Holy crap, if that's the case than waahooooo!

Stazz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
It's a mistake unless:

- Foote's reduced ice time actually allows him to play a safe, simple game which limits his mistakes
- Foote has some sort of miraculous physical resurgence which allows him to actually keep up with the play

Unfortunately, I fear that neither will occur and his deterioration will only continue. I like the leadership he brings and all that but no team can afford to have their captain be their worst player. Let's hope he won't be that on too many nights next season.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
It's a mistake unless:

- Foote's reduced ice time actually allows him to play a safe, simple game which limits his mistakes
- Foote has some sort of miraculous physical resurgence which allows him to actually keep up with the play

Unfortunately, I fear that neither will occur and his deterioration will only continue. I like the leadership he brings and all that but no team can afford to have their captain be their worst player. Let's hope he won't be that on too many nights next season.
I think it is only a mistake if they don't reduce his minutes. Based on the signing amount it stands to reason that they will. Foote is the bottom 3 is an improvement. Foote in the top 3 at this stage in his career makes no sense.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
I think it is only a mistake if they don't reduce his minutes. Based on the signing amount it stands to reason that they will. Foote is the bottom 3 is an improvement. Foote in the top 3 at this stage in his career makes no sense.
Total mistake no matter what. Ah well.

Anyone know the numbers involved?

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

-AB
cap geek is reporting 1m base, .25m bonus, with a no trade clause.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:06 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:

-AB
Given our need for toughness and defensive dmen I don't see how using Foote in a lesser role can be that big of a mistake. It isn't exactly costing a promising prospect minutes. It probably does tell us two things though: Only one prospect is likely to stick out of camp and a big name defensive signing is unlikely. I am starting to wonder if Sherman is exploring Kovalchuk. It really doesn't make sense to me but if the contract was done right it could work. I think the next CBA may address some of the salary issues that make bad contracts impossible to trade too so there might be an out to an albatross contract when it comes time to pay our young core.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Given our need for toughness and defensive dmen I don't see how using Foote in a lesser role can be that big of a mistake.
Well, there are a couple of topics I'd bring up in response to that comment.

One, Foote wasn't really very effective on the ice. If there's a slower defenseman in the division, I'd like to know who it is. The man simply can't move anymore. IMO, every other defenseman out there (except Liles) was better than Foote defensively at the end of the season, and Cumiskey wasn't all that great.

Two, now the team has the exact same 6 defensemen signed (I'm assuming they'll resign Quincey) that got utterly dominated by San Jose in their own zone in Round 1, and wasn't terribly confidence building there in the last two weeks of the season. In other words, that six-pack isn't very good defensively, and the Avs didn't upgrade it at all.

Three, it now doesn't allow them to bring in a young defenseman, without sitting another young defenseman (either Cumiskey or Wilson would be my guess as the bench warmer, if they decide to play Shattenkirk/Holos/Gaunce, etc).

I hope Liles gets traded this Summer.

Quote:
It isn't exactly costing a promising prospect minutes.
Last offseason, when I kept saying that signing Forsberg would cost a young forward meaningful minutes, I heard the exact same comment. Looking back, it most certainly would have cost a young prospect minutes (my guess is Galiardi), and it's likely the Foote signing will do it this season. It's possible that all of our defensive prospects aren't ready, but I'm hard pressed to figure out how we'll find out this season now.

Quote:
It probably does tell us two things though: Only one prospect is likely to stick out of camp
If so, who sits? IMO, it's either Cumiskey or Wilson - two other prospects, pretty much. Foote should have been the one sitting.

Unless they trade Liles.

-AB

Old
05-26-2010, 03:25 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I'm not a fan of this signing, but at least they didn't break the bank doing it.

-AB

Old
05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Maybe Foote plays Koci like minutes while providing leadership from the bench.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:

One, Foote wasn't really very effective on the ice. If there's a slower defenseman in the division, I'd like to know who it is. The man simply can't move anymore. IMO, every other defenseman out there (except Liles) was better than Foote defensively at the end of the season, and Cumiskey wasn't all that great.

Two, now the team has the exact same 6 defensemen signed (I'm assuming they'll resign Quincey) that got utterly dominated by San Jose in their own zone in Round 1, and wasn't terribly confidence building there in the last two weeks of the season. In other words, that six-pack isn't very good defensively, and the Avs didn't upgrade it at all.

Three, it now doesn't allow them to bring in a young defenseman, without sitting another young defenseman (either Cumiskey or Wilson would be my guess as the bench warmer, if they decide to play Shattenkirk/Holos/Gaunce, etc).

Last offseason, when I kept saying that signing Forsberg would cost a young forward meaningful minutes, I heard the exact same comment. Looking back, it most certainly would have cost a young prospect minutes (my guess is Galiardi), and it's likely the Foote signing will do it this season. It's possible that all of our defensive prospects aren't ready, but I'm hard pressed to figure out how we'll find out this season now.

If so, who sits? IMO, it's either Cumiskey or Wilson - two other prospects, pretty much. Foote should have been the one sitting.

Unless they trade Liles.

-AB
I personally am hopeful they trade Cumiskey. I don't think Liles is very movable. We could see something like the following 7 if that is the case:

Quincey-Hannan
Wilson-Liles\Cumiskey
Foote-Shattenkirk
Prospect#2

With Foote's age and Wilson's injuries this year I think we can get some good minutes for a second prospect. I don't know that getting substantial minutes for two prospects is going to improve the team in the short run. I would almost rather see them put together a very strong AHL defense and bring the kids up there.

Old
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Adama0905

Quote:

Unless they trade Liles.

-AB
Looking at it from a pure numbers standpoint and using the opinion that he would obviously get less minutes next season, I was perfectly fine with the signing.

But I really wasn't thinking about it. You're right, he's taking away minutes from a young guy that could really use them.

The only reason this signing was done was because Foote has done so much for the organization (you know, besides leaving us for CB of all places). From a pure competition standpoint, I can't really think that he makes us all that much better, except for the leadership. Out on the ice, I have a hard time believing that we couldn't ice a defenseman that brings as much, or more, to the table as him.

He's a good mentor, but couldn't we have retained him in a role such as that without having to put the guy on the ice?

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:

Fair points, and ones I hadn't really thought about. It's very very early in their offseason, so until we see what the Avs are planning on doing in free agency and trades, we can't be sure if we have the same D as last year. (obviously)

If they have no intention of going after a FA defenseman, then I can see wanting to hold onto Foote to make sure we at least had the full complement of NHL defensemen. If they are planning on signing a D guy, I am not sure what they do. I can certainly imagine them shipping Liles off, and I think his stock may have improved with the way he played at the end of the season. Since they can't bank on a trade or that one of our young prospects will be ready to play NHL minutes, Foote makes sense (in addition to the other obvious reasons they'd want him back.)

The crowdedness of our blue line does seem to stifle any changes we might need to make to improve. I don't know that we can count on our D to improve much without changing some pieces.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:05 PM
PeterTheGreat

The Foote signing is more of a 1 year stop gap until one or more of Shattenkirk, Cohen, Holos etc. are NHL ready. Just handing one of them a spot could backfire.

Remember, injuries happen (and to us they happen often), so just because we have the same 6 D signed, doesn't mean we won't see a young guy break in.

Also, yes the D wasn't very good against San Jose, but there is a chance that we see the continued progression of our 3 young Dmen (Quincey, Wilson, Cumiskey), which will obviously improve our defence.

If we can get the October/November Quincey back, and the pre-concussion Wilson back, along with the natural progression most young players experience, the defence could still be better than last years.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Yea, looks like they changed it to include the $250k bonus. They must be going off Lebrun's info, not the info they receive on signed contracts. Guess we'll have to keep an eye on it, to see if it changes again, to match what AD was reporting of around $2 M.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:02 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:

See, I disagree with these points some. Certainly he's lost a step, but I thought he handled opposing power forwards as well as anyone this side of Hannan. He was exposed by SJ's top lines to a huge degree, yes, but still wouldn't call him the worst defender this side of Liles.

I simply thought he was playing too big a role (as are most defenders in the lineup). He had no business matching against SJ's 2nd line, he was too slow. If he's played on the 3rd pairing, mostly on the PK and against bottom 6ers, I think he'll be fine. And the leadership / teaching influence he brings will continue to be good too.

Quote:

Now this I agree with. I love it when Liles is on his game, but he's been on his game for about 40 games of the last 160. Not acceptable for a 4.2m guy, especially when he's holding back Shattenkirk now.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

It buys another year for them to figure out the captaincy.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 850
If Quincy/Hannan is our top pairing, and Foote plays on the 3rd pairing, our 2nd pairing is going to get lit up. What are we looking at...Wilson/Liles?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
It buys another year for them to figure out the captaincy.
It buys them a year of Shattenkirk not in the NHL. I will be shocked if he comes out of camp on the team.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1375
Quote:
It buys them a year of Shattenkirk not in the NHL. I will be shocked if he comes out of camp on the team.
Agree. And they must be assuming that after watching him play this season as well.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Why do you say that?

shadow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
...Which is what people said about O'Reilly, even Duchene. It could happen, and he could be a key contributor. Who knows.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Why do you say that?
I just don't see it happening. Just personal opinion I guess. I'm not 100% sold that Shattenkirk is just going to step in from day 1 and be a good NHL defensemen. I know I'm in the minority on this argument.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Considering Shattenkirk hasnt even won a CHL player of the year award and was never called the best player at the WJC by a TSN analyst I doubt he's NHL ready.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote