HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles trade Niemi for 6th to Rags!

Old
05-27-2010, 10:32 PM
JayDubayou19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Gotta love how Snow is being praised for this.
Gotta love how one of the few people that aren't praising him is named "hlundqvist30."

JayDubayou19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:06 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Gotta love how Snow is being praised for this. Apparently in Islander country, drafting a guy in the 3rd round, and then 2 years later trading him for a 6th round pick, is a success. I understand that they didn't want to sign him, and because of that a 6th rounder is better than nothing, but people are acting like this was a stroke of genius.

From the Rangers perspective, meh. I don't have a problem with the trade itself, but Sather has been throwing away mid-late round draft picks recently. That's now a 3rd round pick, a 5th round pick, 2 6th round picks, and a 7th round pick traded from last June until now, and it's not like we have much to show for it.
we over-analyze this move - this is a NOTHING move.

isles scouts/player development didn't think he was NHL material OR (more likely) they had better options for investing the resources (time, money, opportunity cost, playing time) - namely Hamonic, deHaan, Katic, Kohn, Ness, Donovan, Kessel, Sims.

nyr scouts/player development felt he was worth a shot and a sixth rounder is not much to pay.

simple.

no "genius" move by either GM. If it works out for Niemi and the NYR, cool, if not, no biggie.

There is no "NYI got ripped off on this move" if Niemi makes pro and there's no "Sather has lost it" if Niemi busts.

no drama here.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
JayDubayou19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
simple.

no "genius" move by either GM. If it works out for Niemi and the NYR, cool, if not, no biggie.
I don't think anyone was claiming it was a genious move, but that it was a good job by Garth to get something for nothing.

Niemi is a real longshot to ever make an NHL impact, and to receive any type of asset back for a guy you are not going to sign anyway is a win in my book.

JayDubayou19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
we over-analyze this move - this is a NOTHING move.

isles scouts/player development didn't think he was NHL material OR (more likely) they had better options for investing the resources (time, money, opportunity cost, playing time) - namely Hamonic, deHaan, Katic, Kohn, Ness, Donovan, Kessel, Sims.

nyr scouts/player development felt he was worth a shot and a sixth rounder is not much to pay.

simple.

There is no "NYI got ripped off on this move" if Niemi makes pro and there's no "Sather has lost it" if Niemi busts.

no drama here.
This. Getting something for a guy you were going to lose is great asset management though. This is obviously a low-scale move, but I think it's significant that Snow's asset management has been quite good. Campoli for 1st round pick. Signing Streit. Signing Roloson. Trading Sutton (knowing the team was not a contender). It makes me feel comfortable that a team that has been so awful with asset management for many years is finally understanding that any asset, even one as insignificant as a 6th round pick is positive gain.

The trade is insignificant for the most part. I think the principles behind it are great.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote