HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier: "We'll Win Tonight"

Old
05-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Mugless

vCash: 500
Messier: "We'll Win Tonight"

16 years ago today. Ah, memories:

http://www.sportsvideodaily.com/wp/

Mugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 07:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I was there.

05-25-2010, 07:39 AM
bubba5

I remember all the media was writing the Rangers off, saying age was catching up to them and there was no way we were going to comeback against the Devils!

bubba5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:20 AM
rangerjoe

I had already booked my flight to NY for a week assuming we'd be in the Cup Final and I remember sitting there thinking that if we lost Game #6 I'd have to be in NY for a week listening and seeing all Devils crap...and then the magic started.

I wound up extending my trip for an additional two weeks, no way I was going to miss the Cup and the parade. I lost my job because of it!

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

One of the true epic moments in NY sports.

05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I was there.
Me too. We all know the those "priceless" Visa commericals, well the third period was exactly that. Celebrating those goals in the Meadowlands with A LOT of fellow Ranger fans was something I'll never forget.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:13 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Will never see anything like that again in your lifetime. Simply amazing moment, maybe the greatest in NY sports.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 10:40 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Will never see anything like that again in your lifetime. Simply amazing moment, maybe the greatest in NY sports.
Come on! Don't say that for all of us who were too young to really appreciate it.

My most distinct memories were from watching the ending of game 7 in the SCF with my mother flipping out telling me it was hours past my bed time. I had to watch it in her room where the only television was.

But I do not have distinct memories of the overall season or playoff run. So sad. Thank goodness for that DVD pack.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Come on! Don't say that for all of us who were too young to really appreciate it.

My most distinct memories were from watching the ending of game 7 in the SCF with my mother flipping out telling me it was hours past my bed time. I had to watch it in her room where the only television was.

But I do not have distinct memories of the overall season or playoff run. So sad. Thank goodness for that DVD pack.
I'm in the same boat as you man, just turned 21 in May. I have a very vague memory of that whole year obviously. The DVD box set is great because of all the games it has, but we all know it isn't as good as watching it live.

Sorry if that post put you down, but the situation that the Rangers were put in that season would be pretty hard to duplicate. Both them and the Knicks were making a deep run in the playoffs, drawing them even more attention. The pressure of a 54 year drought without a cup and all of the clutch moments of that years playoffs. Along with the Messier guarantee, the sweep of the Islanders, both of Matteau's double OT goals and Richters penalty shot save on Bure were just incredible.

The point of the post wasn't to make all of us younger fans depressed, but to realize how much of a big deal it was, and how unbelievable this moment was. Don't worry, for all of the fans who couldn't remember that, we will get an incredible moment that we can look back and be amazed at as well.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
pld459666

There were moments during that run where my heart sunk and I thought "here we go again" which, for me, added to the great feeling when we actually won.

The Hatcher goal from his blue line in the series against the Caps. My thoughts immediately went to the Penguins seriers a few years prior when I believe Ron Francis scored from center ice.

Going down 3 games to 2 against the Devils (regardless of sweeping the season series against them they were a tough team) Having to rely on Messier's heroics for game 6, then having to live through the Devils tying the game with less than 10 seconds left in game 7.

Finally, we should have swept Vancouver as we dominated play in game one only to be stone-walled by McLean and losing that game in OT, then losing games 5 and 6 to force a game 7.

It was a truly satisfying result.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
he led by example, there wont be a better leader in any sport, ever

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Tired of having only these reliving '94 threads to look forward to every May and June.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

What made that game and that moment so amazing (besides a captain promising victory and then delivering a natural hat trick), was how he led that team back after they looked so terrible and disjointed during all of game 5 and then first 35 minutes of game 6.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
skymachine

Hopefully we wont continue to be hanging onto just 1994 memories 40 years from now...

With that said, amazing moment.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
NYRSchrute217

One of the single most dominant games ever. Messier carried the team on his back.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Messier carried the team on his back.
Yes and no. He was certainly the story. But Kovalev had a brilliant game. Richter was spectacular shutting the Devs out for the final two periods. Doug Lidster had a huge game stepping in for Beukeboom.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:39 PM
bubba5

Just to put it in perspective, Mike and the Mad Dog talked hockey most of the time especially during the Devils and Canucks series!

bubba5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Yes and no. He was certainly the story. But Kovalev had a brilliant game. Richter was spectacular shutting the Devs out for the final two periods. Doug Lidster had a huge game stepping in for Beukeboom.
Yes. To me that game is as much about Richter as it is about Messier. The Devils should have been up by more than 2 after the first period but Richter was outstanding. If they HAD been up by more than 2...better to not think about it. And I was glad Kovalev had a great game and really a great playoffs overall. He was my favorite Ranger after Beezer was traded. I really wanted him to do well. It's too bad the best performance of his career came in his first playoffs and he's never been able to match it.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
tjs252

Defining moment for me, defining moment for the franchise.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

Ah the memories, life seemed so complicated back than, I was young, eager, full of piss & vinegar. Man was I wrong! Life was great back than. My 2 biggest prolbems were how to get into a club underaged & how to keep my Girl friend from finding out that I was cheating on her with half of Staten Island & 1/4 of Brooklyn.

Last edited by The Thomas J.*: 05-25-2010 at 10:11 PM.
The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
I was there.
I turned down tickets. Didn't have the heart to go.

After the game I cried like a baby. I remember telling my kids they probably wouldn't realize what they had just seen until they were much older. They thought I was nuts.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I turned down tickets. Didn't have the heart to go.

After the game I cried like a baby. I remember telling my kids they probably wouldn't realize what they had just seen until they were much older. They thought I was nuts.
My father had been following the team for over 25 years at the time and got as emotional as I've ever seen him to this day during the '94 playoff run. I was just short of my 12th birthday, and my Dad gave a similar speech to the one you gave your kids.

He was right, I've suffered nearly every day since! And Im just glad I got to see one in my lifetime cause who knows when the next one will be?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

This is the best 1.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
DM23BK30

Games 4 and 5 were so friggin depressing.

Especially when Bernie Nicholls, who I loved and was traded for Messier, played the Game of his life in Game 5.

Till the day I die, i will say that the game 6 performance by Messier was the greatest "backs against the wall" performance by an individual I have ever seen in my life.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:31 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Part of me agrees with you (and Richter's 1st period was amazing) but part doesn't. After really putting himself out there and guaranteeing victory, it was just spectacular how great he played.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote