HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign D Yann Sauve

Old
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
RobertKron

vCash: 500
Shane O'brain!!!

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 04:15 PM
FruityPants3*

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:12 PM
RobertKron

See, now I want them to keep him around next season.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:15 AM
The Drunken Crunker

Quote:
Sauve is the biggest fish of the trio, or at least the one with the most potential. Considered an elite prospect entering junior, the 20-year-old from Rigaud, Que., didn't live up to the billing during his draft year and fell to the Canucks at 41st overall. He also failed to make Canada's final world junior selection camp as an 18- and 19-year-old.

At 6-3 and 218 pounds, Sauve is now pegged as a shutdown defenceman, a commodity the Canucks desperately need in the long and short term.

"Being a shutdown guy was my game in junior and that's going to be my game in the NHL," Sauve said Monday after his signing was announced. "I think I am capable of that."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/S...725/story.html

The Drunken Crunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Falconator

Our new Wille Mitchell

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:18 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Our new Wille Mitchell
Maybe 5 years from now.

alternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Maybe 5 years from now.
Yes, a few more hits to the head and Willie might be as stupid as Shane.

Old
06-01-2010, 06:31 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Our new Wille Mitchell
I think that is how the Canucks are approaching it, alright. Gillis has said repeatedly that he wants to build from within. Much as I think he missed the boat on this year's play-offs, at least he is consistent. The D group is established and the expectation is that they be pushed from below on the depth chart.

I have studied Gillis somewhat and I do not think he is an avid trader. For several reasons. Therefore, the team must be built with sound drafting and FA signings.

One of the really bong headed moves, recently, was the Ohlund issue. Ohlund is why Edler is a regular, to some extent, as he was his mentor. Who mentors, now?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Lol, ya I also find this hard to classify as 'flat lining'.
well to be fair, the entire CHL is a league for 19 year olds. They are expected to DOMINATE. Though yeah, Sauve's progression is hard to knock as "flat lining"

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Yes, a few more hits to the head and Willie might be as stupid as Shane.
I think we were talking about Sauve.

alternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think that is how the Canucks are approaching it, alright. Gillis has said repeatedly that he wants to build from within. Much as I think he missed the boat on this year's play-offs, at least he is consistent. The D group is established and the expectation is that they be pushed from below on the depth chart.

I have studied Gillis somewhat and I do not think he is an avid trader. For several reasons. Therefore, the team must be built with sound drafting and FA signings.

One of the really bong headed moves, recently, was the Ohlund issue. Ohlund is why Edler is a regular, to some extent, as he was his mentor. Who mentors, now?
I was happy to see Ohlund go.. he got walked around a few too many times his last season here. He also couldn't figure out how not to get called for holding and hooking infractions.

What's wrong with Salo and Mitchell-even Ehrhoff-mentoring Edler and other young d-men-. Salo is as good a roll model for a defenceman that you can find apart from the fact that he's hurt often.

Just curious, what did your "studying" of Mike Gillis involve?
I think it's fairly obvious that anyone who posts on this board has "studied" Gillis about the same amount as anyone else.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I was happy to see Ohlund go.. he got walked around a few too many times his last season here. He also couldn't figure out how not to get called for holding and hooking infractions.

What's wrong with Salo and Mitchell-even Ehrhoff-mentoring Edler and other young d-men-. Salo is as good a roll model for a defenceman that you can find apart from the fact that he's hurt often.

Just curious, what did your "studying" of Mike Gillis involve?
I think it's fairly obvious that anyone who posts on this board has "studied" Gillis about the same amount as anyone else.
Did I like Ohlund, even in his last year?

Yup.

Was he worth keeping at his price? Could we afford him?

Nope.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:02 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
I think we were talking about Sauve.
Haha yeah, oops.

Old
06-02-2010, 12:15 AM
God Bless Canada

He strikes me as an all the tools, no tool box type of defender. Nobody ever questioned his upside. You don't become the first pick overall in a major junior draft if you don't have high-end potential. You have to love his mobility for a big man, and his mean streak. But I'm not sold on his decision-making ability. I wonder if he's just another Keaton Ellerby type of defenceman - a third pairing guy at best who would be a No. 7 on a top team.

He's worth the signing. Give him two or three years in Manitoba, give him a cup of coffee in The Show, and see where he is in three years. If he finds the ability to make smart decisions and play well consistently then he'll be fine (Most defencemen who struggle with those two elements of the game wash out). But I'm not holding my breath on him playing 18-21 minutes a game for the Canucks one day.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:18 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:

Next year is the year we need to make our run. I'm sure Gillis knows that. Chicago and San Jose will both take a step back with the player's they're going to have to lose. Depending on how astute Gillis is this Summer, we could go into next season as the favourites in the West.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Gillis would be guilty of *using* a bong if he handed the deal that Ohlund got from the Bolts.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Anonymous User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Next year is the year we need to make our run. I'm sure Gillis knows that. Chicago and San Jose will both take a step back with the player's they're going to have to lose. Depending on how astute Gillis is this Summer, we could go into next season as the favourites in the West.
I have high expectations for this club for next season. The window for winning is small and I believe that this team's window will close in three years. What Gillis does in the offseason may be the most important thing to happen to this franchise.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:58 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous User View Post
I have high expectations for this club for next season. The window for winning is small and I believe that this team's window will close in three years. What Gillis does in the offseason may be the most important thing to happen to this franchise.
I don't agree with the small window for winning theory.
I think it's possible to ice a contender perennially, provided drafting and development is solid.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Wetcoaster

Some comments on Yann Sauve yesterday from the Province's Canucks Live Chat by the hockey writers:
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...-at-2-p-m.aspx

Gordon McIntyre:
Quote:
I thought Sauve had really taken a step back, but Gillis and Lorne Henning venomously disagree, say they got great reports from the Sea Dogs on his progress this year. He's never going to be the offensive defenceman Nonis hoped he'd become when he drafted him, but he could turn out to be a solid two-way guy.
Tony Gallagher:
Quote:
The Canucks so desperately need for a young D to step up they're almost wishing with their brains here. We'll see whether any of these guys can really help. I know two years ago Sauve was a million miles away and he only looked a long way away last year.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
pitseleh

Gillis was in charge when Sauve was drafted (though he'd only been on the jobs for about 6 weeks).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:08 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Some comments on Yann Sauve yesterday from the Province's Canucks Live Chat by the hockey writers:
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...-at-2-p-m.aspx

Gordon McIntyre:

Tony Gallagher:
McIntyre makes himself seem kind of stupid by saying Nonis drafted him. I'm really not sure how anyone can say that Sauve took a step back this season either. Gallagher just oozes with negativity as usual.

JUMBOcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMBOcanuck View Post
McIntyre makes himself seem kind of stupid by saying Nonis drafted him. I'm really not sure how anyone can say that Sauve took a step back this season either. Gallagher just oozes with negativity as usual.
One can expect such factual errors when you are posting in a live chat.

Gallagher seems to be on the same page as most in looking at Sauve as a long term project. That is a correct assessment IMHO.

Old
06-05-2010, 06:18 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
One can expect such factual errors when you are posting in a live chat.

Gallagher seems to be on the same page as most in looking at Sauve as a long term project. That is a correct assessment IMHO.
yes, Sauve is a project. However saying that the canucks are 'wishing with their brains' makes it sound like he thinks there is no potential there, and the canucks are just hoping there is.

JUMBOcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMBOcanuck View Post
yes, Sauve is a project. However saying that the canucks are 'wishing with their brains' makes it sound like he thinks there is no potential there, and the canucks are just hoping there is.
I think that comment was directed at the signing of a number of Dman prospects - not just a comment on Sauve. Sort of go for quantity with some skill sets and hopefully some quality will out.

The key will be prospect development - mind you it is nice to actually see some prospects with some upside and NHL futures.

Look at the difference from the Burke years when the Canucks were often ranked in the bottom third in prospects and development. Nonis managed to get into the the middle third and now Gillis has dragged the Canucks to a Number 8 ranking in the top third. And that was before the recent free agent signings.

Old
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I don't agree with the small window for winning theory.
I think it's possible to ice a contender perennially, provided drafting and development is solid.
Seconded, I can see the argument that the next three years look the best we've had in a while, but any window beyond that is really in our hands. Hodgson and Schroeder should be stepping up in three years, and some of our defensive prospects may be harvested, and that allows us to either trade Kesler for something nice or trade some of the prospects for something nice if the concern is that they're reaching big money time.

So drafting, developing and good asset management through trading, along with some nice UFA signings a la Burrows can keep us solid indefinitely. Also, if the cap keeps going up, with the Sedins and Kesler on long-term deals, we may actually find ourselves with being even stronger three years from now.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote