HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire: San Jose would trade Clowe and Murray for either Montreal goalie

Old
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 500
I did hear from someone close that Setoguchi is also available because of upcoming salary issues. Of course trading Clowe would make it easier for SJ to resign Seto.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
PunkinDrublic*

yeah and the Habs would finally have the Swede they have been looking for in Murray !!!!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I have a friend that works with the Bulldogs and he said that as quiet as Gainey was, he always talked about potential trades around fellow employees, coaches and management.

With Gauthier, he says nothing to anyone...hence the "Ghost" nickname I'm guessing, he keeps his cards even closer to his chest than Gainey.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Imagine he traded Halak for Clowe + Murray and Price for Veersteeg + a draft pick and we started the season with Desjardins in net. This board would be chaos.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
shutehinside

Clowe and Murray for Halak? Throw in A & S Kosty and see what else we can get!

First Patches and Gorges for Rivet, now this!? I LOVE SAN JOSE!!!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
Comparing the PT of a goalie to a skater's is like comparing apples and oranges
Comparing TOI, yes. Comparing GP? Not really.

If you have two goalies who are capable of being #1's, like we do. Let's make an example.

Halak 47 GP + Price 35 GP
Halak 62 GP + Backup 20 GP + Clowe 75 GP + Murray 78 GP

Option #2 looks so, so much better. Well, so long as your backup doesn't completely suck.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Blood On The Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

This is starting to get to me.

Why not mention Douglas Murray? One of the premier shutdown defenseman in the NHL, who hits hard? 233 hits this year.

And Ryan Clowe is a 20-goal scorer.. who puts up 55+ points, hits a lot (150ish hits this year), and GOES TO THE FRONT OF THE NET. How long have we needed a net presence like that? He screens the goalie, he doesn't mind taking whacks, he's physical, and he works hard. He's awesome. Is he elite? God no. Is he a great piece on a winning team? Damn straight.

Would I trade Halak/Price for Clowe, straight up? I doubt it. But I would with Douglas Murray involved .

I don't know much about Douglas. But seeing his stats on hockeydb, he seems pretty Komisarek-like. I have a real hard time putting a value (offensive guy, goalie) on a shutdown d-man.

But whatever, there is no way in hell that I would possibly trade Halak or Price for Mike Komisarek #2.

Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Sounds like McGuire is talking out of his Arnason

Sharks wont do that they have better options.

Sign Dan Ellis to affordable cost (2 mil) for short term and platoon him with Greiss or another one of there young goalies (THey have plenty) and go forward with that instead of giving up one of there best dman and a top 9 winger

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood On The Ice View Post
I don't know much about Douglas. But seeing his stats on hockeydb, he seems pretty Komisarek-like. I am a real hard time putting a value (offensive guy, goalie) on a shutdown d-man.

But whatever, there is no way in hell that I would possibly trade Halak or Price for Mike Komisarek #2.
Comparing Murray to Komisarek is like comparing Kovalchuk to Kostitsyn.

Murray is so much better than Komisarek, at almost everything. Komisarek is definitely better at blocking shots (then again, Murray never really got to play the 4024802505 minutes of PK that a player does in Montreal ).

Watch that video and let me know if that type of player doesn't excite you if he was on Montreal.

He's a good skater for his size, he plays hard, he shuts teams down, hits HARD, and is a good hockey player. He doesn't have the problems Komisarek had (getting the puck out of the zone) and is a decent passer. He's a really underrated shutdown guy that not many people know about. Obviously I'd prefer Vlasic, but Murray + Clowe is great value.

Murray had a hat-trick in a pre-season game too this year, so you just never know.

Douglas Murray is the only man who can make Chuck Norris wet himself. FACT.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Darth Joker

I think that Halak's agent has made it pretty clear, in an implied way, that Montreal keeping both Halak and Price is not an option. At least it's not unless we want the goalie controversy to turn into a full-fledged circus that'll be a distraction for the team (because Walsh isn't going to stop taking shots at the team as long as Price and Halak are both here).

I get why people would like to take one more NHL season to evaluate the two young goalies and see if Price can turn it around with us, but I just don't see that as an option.

And while Price has a lot of potential, he hasn't proven much in this league. A big 20 plus goals winger and a tough, rugged shut-down D that logs over 20 minutes a game: that's a really solid return. People who think you'll get more than that for Price are simply overstating Price's value on the open market.

You're not going to get an established star player for him. Not for him alone, anyway.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

So you mean GMs now tell journalists (and consequently the world) what they wanna/gonna do before it's done?

... pure speculation again.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I would say lets wait, if Gauthier already have offers like that already, for sure we will have better offers if we wait.
If you dont move one of your goalies before July 1st then you probably wont be able to move them as the goalie market is deep and teams in need of a young #1 are limited

UFA's with #1 experience
-Evgeni Nabokov
-Marty Turco
-Dan Ellis
-Angero Nittymaki
-Ray Emery (Depending on his injury recovery)
-Martin Biron
-Jose Theodore
-Chris Mason

Available via trade
-Tomas Vokoun
-Dwayne Roloson (Depending on what Isles want to do with there goalie situation and Dipeitro's health)
-Josh Harding (Unproven but still highly regarded)
-Tim Thomas (If he waives his NTC)
-Jon Quick (If the Kings feel value is there and Bernier is ready)

Prospects with #1 potential who may be available via trade
-Jhonas Enroth
-Cory Schneider
-Jeff Zathkoff

Teams in need of #1
TB
SJ

Teams in need of a platoon #1 with there young netminders. Goalie like Ellis/Nittymaki/Theodore fit that bill

Atl
SJ

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

By the way, I posted this on the Sharks board since I thought it'd be fun. I gave you credit, WestIslander.

Old
05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
M.C.G. 31
Jesus Price

vCash: 233
Ryan Clowe and Douglas Murray!?

I'm all for this if it's true!

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
So you mean GMs now tell journalists (and consequently the world) what they wanna/gonna do before it's done?

... pure speculation again.
Brian Burke does...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
JackZap

are these guys top 6? I still rather have Horton even though he can be moody

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM

OMG do it.

Price for Clowe and Murray would be so ****ing nice.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Comparing TOI, yes. Comparing GP? Not really.

If you have two goalies who are capable of being #1's, like we do. Let's make an example.

Halak 47 GP + Price 35 GP
Halak 62 GP + Backup 20 GP + Clowe 75 GP + Murray 78 GP

Option #2 looks so, so much better. Well, so long as your backup doesn't completely suck.
If Halak plays 62 games I don't think he'll be much of a factor in the playoffs. Even big guys like Luongo Brodeur and co struggle at playoff time with that kind of workload.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
OMG do it.

Price for Clowe and Murray would be so ****ing nice.
Why?

When did Clowe turn into a star and Murray into a stud d-man?

19 goals during the season playing on a high powered offensive team...and 2 in 15 playoff games.

Latendresse scored at a higher pace than that playing with fricken Lapierre and Kostopoulos with no PP time.

...and that's the guy we want to trade one of our most valuable assets for??

Old
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
If you dont move one of your goalies before July 1st then you probably wont be able to move them as the goalie market is deep and teams in need of a young #1 are limited

UFA's with #1 experience
-Evgeni Nabokov
-Marty Turco
-Dan Ellis
-Angero Nittymaki
-Ray Emery (Depending on his injury recovery)
-Martin Biron
-Jose Theodore
-Chris Mason

Available via trade
-Tomas Vokoun
-Dwayne Roloson (Depending on what Isles want to do with there goalie situation and Dipeitro's health)
-Josh Harding (Unproven but still highly regarded)
-Tim Thomas (If he waives his NTC)
-Jon Quick (If the Kings feel value is there and Bernier is ready)

Prospects with #1 potential who may be available via trade
-Jhonas Enroth
-Cory Schneider
-Jeff Zathkoff

Teams in need of #1
TB
SJ

Teams in need of a platoon #1 with there young netminders. Goalie like Ellis/Nittymaki/Theodore fit that bill

Atl
SJ
If you put a guy like Price on the market I'm sure there are 15-20 teams taht would at least kick the tires if not make an offer.

You can't really compare the value of a guy like Price to guys like Biron Theodore and co that are already past their prime.

Old
05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If you put a guy like Price on the market I'm sure there are 15-20 teams taht would at least kick the tires if not make an offer.

You can't really compare the value of a guy like Price to guys like Biron Theodore and co that are already past their prime.
lol price is 22 = He's to young to get trade , he'll be a top 5 goalie for the next 10-15 year.but theodore is 32 so he past his prime.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Why?

19 goals during the season playing on a high powered offensive team...and 2 in 15 playoff games.

Latendresse scored at a higher pace than that playing with fricken Lapierre and Kostopoulos with no PP time.

Maybe I just don't see Price as something big like 50%+ of this forum.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Why?

Again your missing the point. We need a big Banger and crasher that can pot 20 odd goals. His physical dimension will be a much needed addition to our top 6

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Huh, that's tempting from Montreal's perspective for sure. Clowe is a big body that can play top six minutes and Murray is a wrecking ball on the back end. Size and physicality, two things we need to add in a big way.

I'm loathe to trade either goalie (Halak for what he accomplished in this run and Price because I still think he's going to turn out great one day) but if true, then that's a tough offer to walk away from.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
couris

Quote:
Why?

The hate for Latendresse on this board reached a new high when blind fanboys started to call him Fatendresse.

Whatever, I agree with your opinion.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:33 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
It's not giving up on him. It's asset management.

Even if Price ends up being a little bit better than Halak (that's a big if at this point -- because even if Price develops, Halak is still getting there too), the margin is not going to be huge.

Douglas Murray is the kind of defenseman I salivate over. Yes, he's not Andrei Markov, but he's the perfect compliment either Markov or Ryan O'Byrne. Could you imagine teams having to play against O'Byrne & Murray? Two hard hitting, good skating, check finishing defenseman? Teams would hate going up against them.

Ryane Clowe as well? He fits in on either of our top two lines. The thing with Clowe (unlike a guy like Kostitsyn), is even when he's not scoring he's creating space or throwing hits. Plus, Clowe does the one thing most of our players fail to do --- go to the front of the net. He doesn't mind standing there taking a few chops. Give him another 10 "assists" for all the times he's screening the goalie when a Sharks goal goes in the net.
Pretty sure Halak hit is ceiling on talent during the playoffs and showed how vulnerable he is to having a big body player infront of him.

Meanwhile at 2 years younger and at 4" taller Price hasn't even come close. If people paid attention to the way the D played infront of the 2 you'd actually see a major difference. With Halak the entire team would stand infront of the puck. With Price you'd be lucky to have 2-3 dmen do so (and Markov was not one of them).

At this point Halak is a more valuable asset and WILL garnish a bigger return then Price. Price has more potential if he actually is allowed to play more then 3 games in a row.