Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Wild moves this summer

Old
05-26-2010, 11:21 AM
North Metro Peewees

vCash: 500
Wild moves this summer

What are everyone's thoughts on the types of moves the Wild will make through trades, free agency and any players who might make the team that are drafted this year.

UFA targets: Matt Cullen/Tomas Plekanec

Trade: David Backes

Trade bait: Schultz/Sheppard/Harding/Kobasew

Draft: Nino Niederreiter

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:34 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Know what I love about this board and you guys, you make me feel loved Everyone gets on board when I throw out Sharp, Versteeg, or even Cullen as of recent for possible pick ups. Ya'll are the best!!

Backes one is an interesting twist though. Not too sure STL really wants anything from us to get the man though.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:37 AM
shleeban

why isnt miettenen on your list of tradeable

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I wouldn't get your hopes up on Backes. I see no reason as to why the Blues would be interested in moving him, nor do the Wild have much of anything in the way of what it would take to acquire him.

I do like Plekanec, but I think the market will price him out of the Wild's reach.

I'd be in favor of Cullen, for a year or two deal.

Ideally, I'd like the Wild to go out and sign a couple of players (with decent upside) to cheap one or two year deals. The Wild are a ways off in my opinion, so if you can get a player on a short, manageable contract you have the potential to gain some assets back. Possibly at the deadline. Think of what Atlanta should have done this season with Max Afinogenov.

Other than that, the Wild just need to stay the coarse. Don't throw away assets that you don't need to. Don't over commit to free agents. The season will play itself out. The Wild's goal should be to better position itself for further down the line.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:49 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I wouldn't get your hopes up on Backes. I see no reason as to why the Blues would be interested in moving him, nor do the Wild have much of anything in the way of what it would take to acquire him.

I do like Plekanec, but I think the market will price him out of the Wild's reach.

Ideally, I'd like the Wild to go out and sign a couple of players (with decent upside) to cheap one or two year deals. The Wild are a ways off in my opinion, so if you can get a player on a short, manageable contract you have the potential to gain some assets back. Possibly at the deadline. Think of what Atlanta should have done this season with Max Afinogenov.

Other than that, the Wild just need to stay the coarse. Don't throw away assets that you don't need to. Don't over commit to free agents. The season will play itself out. The Wild's goal should be to better position itself for further down the line.

I agree with the bolded part especially. We can't go for a "quick-fix." There just isn't one. It's been mentioned many times before, make moves if they make sense, and we need to draft well. Let the young guys develop, and we should be able to compete a little better in a couple of years.

We should go after Cullen, but Plekanec will probably command too much money for us to be able to sign him. Cullen would make us seem a little more competitive and we don't really solve any long-term problems, but it at least will give us an option that makes our top-6 look a lot better. With the centers of Koivu, Cullen, and Brodziak, that's a lot better than without Cullen.

I think when we draft, we'll have to look at a Johansen, Connolly (because of injuries) Granlund, or Skinner. I have a feeling the Nino will be gone unfortunately. I can see us having a real good draft.

We should dangle Miettinen, Schultz, and Harding out there, but I doubt they will garner much interest. It will be an interesting draft for sure.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's going to be a boring summer with few moves. That's my prediction.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sign a couple cheap role players, a fill-in at center, and maybe one bigger trade. There's nothing on the free agent market the Wild need or can afford.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
saywut

If Fletcher wants to compete next year they will need to acquire a second line center. Neither Josh Harding or James Sheppard will be enough to acquire one via trade, so it would have to be free agency.

Looking at the free agent list, it is obviously poor. Matthew Lombardi will be looking for Stajan-like numbers, 3.5M per season for at least 4 years. Plekanec, who knows, might ask for 6M per, but after his playoff he may not get it. Considering Matt Cullens age, he will likely be looking for 3 years. Saku Koivu has said he would like to stay in Anaheim. Next on the list would probably be the interesting case of Olli Jokinen, who could very well consider a 1-2 year deal, because of the past 2 seasons. After him, it would almost be best to bring back Ebbett for peanuts, simply to not take away any future options.

Aside from a second line center, only minor bodies will be signed. An overpaid winger could be acquired for Nick Schultz and fit in the top-6, but not a free agent.

Any moves on defense will be small. Sifers, or a similar d-man could be brought in on a 2-way as an incumbent for Scandella or someone else to push off a roster spot. If Nick Schultz is somehow moved, a replacement would be needed. I see the other 5 signed on one-ways staying, considering GMCF has traded or signed 4 of them, and the other is Brent Burns, who GMCF said he is building the defense around.

And a back-up is needed if we deal Harding, but I doubt he gets moved. Just let him play regularly, it will keeps Backstrom sharp and showcase Harding should a need come up for another team.

Basically, leaving my prediction:
Brunette - Koivu - Mietinnen
Latendresse - FA - Havlat
Kobasew - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
FAs with Wellman, Almond, Sheppard, and Gillies given opportunities to win jobs in camp.
4 FA forwards total, one being an enforcer, 2 of the others being 4th line or scratched plugs. Subtract one if we take a body back in a Schultz deal.

Zanon - Zidlicky
Barker - Burns
Schultz/FA - Scandella/Stoner/FA
FA/Stoner
1 FA, 2 if Schultz is dealt

Backstrom
Harding

May be able to challenge for an 8th seed, but certainly not close to a Cup contender.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:07 PM
nickschultzfan

The solution is simple. No trades needed. Four steps, all easier said than done, well, the 4th is easy.

Step 1: Sign Plekanec - multiple years, 5m per. He'll be Havlat and Lats center. We will be more competitive in this that people think.

Step 2: Sign Jokinen - aim for 3.5-4m per. Shorter contract. Yep. Get him too.

Step 3: Dump Bouchard. Waive him. Trade him. Wack him in the head. I'd like to keep him, but his contract is too much. Package him with Harding maybe for a 4th grinder and a back-up goalie. No joke.

Step 4: Re-sign the cheap guys. Let Boogy go. Say no to Cuma and Scandella - they go to AHL for seasoning. Bring up Kassian (make use of that 2nd round pick!). Let guys like Wellman and Prosser be a call-up.

The Wild would complete rock if we could pull that off. Bring in a shooter in Jokinen, and a point getter in Plekanec.

Lats (2.5)-Plekanec (5)-Havlat (5)
Bruno (2.33)-Koivu (3.25)-Kobasew (2.33)
Clutterbuck (1.4)-Jokinen (3.5)-Miettinen (2.33)
Kassian (.5)-Brodz (1.15)-Shep/Earl/Kalus/whoever (.8)
Cheap 1 (.6), Cheap 2 (.5)

Burns (3.55)-Barker (3.08)
Zannon (1.93)-Zids (4)
Stoner (.5)-Schultz(3.55)
Noreau/Faulk (.575)

Backstrom (6)
Cheap Back-up (.6)

If the cap goes up a tiny bit to 57m, we will have 1 million in cap space, and a completely awesome roster. Depth scoring, physical play, skill. Koivu's line would actually be our checking line, because Jokinen isn't the most responsible (even if Clutterbuck and Miettinen are). Kobasew would work better on Koivu's line. Koivu needs a shooter. Miettinen could set-up Jokinen.

This line-up would just be so great.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 05-26-2010 at 06:14 PM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:

I would offer the Blues Harding and Clutterbuck to see if you can get Backes.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:28 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Plekanec. Yuck.

I think you'll see the necessary moves made at the Draft.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
mnwildgophers

The more and more I think about it, I'm hoping that Fletch can pull off something we can all get excited about. Well, I suppose I'll be excited if we just use our 8 picks to select good players as I was let down in the NFL draft (trading back angers me with a division rival was different...).

Anyway, I do think that Fletch will be aggressive and try to get some deals done as he has shown us already he's not afraid to deal which is a nice thing to have.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Would anyone have any interest in Drew Stafford?

I think he could come fairly cheap as he's definitely wearing out his welcome in Buffalo. He'll turn 25 in October and has one year at $1.9 million left on his deal. He'd be a RFA at the end of next season.

I'm sort of looking for a Latendresse - type situation here. Stafford doesn't exactly have the most friendly contract, especially given how he played last season, but I think he could be had fairly easily so Buffalo can clear some room to bolster their line-up for a more significant run. I figure if you could get him at the right price, he could potentially develop nicely along side of Koivu. I mean, Mikko makes Miettinen look like a competent NHL player at times, I think it could work here as well.

Feel free to tell me it's a terrible idea.

Old
05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Lifer

Out of curiosity, what do you guys thunk of Scandella and the 39th for Stephen Weiss from Florida? I'm in a mock and got this offer. I think if it were the later 2nd round pick instead of the 39th I might do it. So, what do you all think?

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I think he could come fairly cheap as he's definitely wearing out his welcome in Buffalo. He'll turn 25 in October and has one year at $1.9 million left on his deal. He'd be a RFA at the end of next season.

I'm sort of looking for a Latendresse - type situation here. Stafford doesn't exactly have the most friendly contract, especially given how he played last season, but I think he could be had fairly easily so Buffalo can clear some room to bolster their line-up for a more significant run. I figure if you could get him at the right price, he could potentially develop nicely along side of Koivu. I mean, Mikko makes Miettinen look like a competent NHL player at times, I think it could work here as well.

He can't be worse than Miettinen. And then next year something like 7.5 mil would come off the books from Bruno, Kobasew, Miettinen, and Stafford. We can extend Koivu and get a #2 center. Perfect.

Old
05-27-2010, 07:37 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

In real life: Yes if it's the 56th.
In your mock: No. That's because you've already blown up the team* so it would be in your best interest to keep compiling picks rather than players and salary.

*If I'm wrong, then do it.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:38 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Intrigued.

But I just don't know about giving up two more significant pieces for the future. Weiss would be a pretty ideal #2 center signed at a reasonable contract at $3.1, though.

Old
05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Intrigued.

But I just don't know about giving up two more significant pieces for the future. Weiss would be a pretty ideal #2 center signed at a reasonable contract at $3.1, though.
That's what I thought. And in my hypothetical mock, I haven't really blown up the team yet. I've only moved Sheppard and Schultz to move up and get El Nino while acquiring Jan Hejda and Mathieu Garon in the same deal. Both those guys have 1 year left and 3.5 in cap space between them. With Weiss on the team and Brodzy playing full time on the 3rd line, Ebbet could be resigned to play 4th line center.

I'm basically taking for granted that Bouchard is done. I'm also trying like he'll to move Harding or Backstrom. If I move Harding to get a 2nd rounder to replace the one from the hypothetical Weiss trade, the team would be:

Bruno-Koivu-Miettinen
Lats-Weiss-Havlat
Kobasew-Brodziak-Clutterbuck/UFA stop-gap
Earl-Ebbett-UFA stop-gap

Burns-Barker
Zids-Zanon
Hejda-Stoner

Backs
Garon

Edit: I have a deal in principal to send Scandella and the 56th to Florida for Weiss if the Florida 'GM' doesn't get a better deal by tomorrow. Now it's time to move Harding since the team I have could be a playoff team with Backstrom in net. Who needs a promising backup or a challenge for am incumbent starter?

Last edited by Lifer: 05-27-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old
05-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Plekanec would be nice, but I bet he makes over $6m this summer, and I'm not sure we have the cap room for him. BUT, if we can move Schultz and/or some other salary at the draft, I really would like for the Wild to take a stab at him. We've dumped our Slovakian mafia and signed a couple Czechs in Havlat and Zidlicky, and maybe that would be appealing for him. Would not like a super long term big money deal, but even a 5-year $30m deal would be fine.

I'd maybe do one year $2.5-3m on Jokinen but no longer or higher than that. Last year his shooting percentage was awful, he'd have to bounce back somewhat. He doesn't seem to like defensive systems, so maybe he'd do better here. And again, we have the Finnish connection going on.

Matt Cullen I'd be okay with if it's under $2m, but he's a third line center. Let's not pretend a 33-year-old who's hit 20 goals twice in his career and never reached 50 points is going to suddenly become an offensive wizard. He's a good player, good depth guy, but not a top sixer. And I'd rather hold out for a top sixer than dedicate more money to our depth with Weller and Brodziak already in the mix.

Old
05-28-2010, 10:45 AM
saywut

Quote:

I'd consider Stafford for Sheppard, but not much more. Haven't seen anything out of him to make me think he'll ever be a legit top-6 forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you guys thunk of Scandella and the 39th for Stephen Weiss from Florida? I'm in a mock and got this offer. I think if it were the later 2nd round pick instead of the 39th I might do it. So, what do you all think?
At this point I wouldn't do it, and I really like Weiss. Scandella is just too valuable, considering how bad our blueline is right now, and he's our best prospect. I could easily see Marco playing 20+ minutes a night for the Wild in 2011/12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Plekanec would be nice, but I bet he makes over $6m this summer, and I'm not sure we have the cap room for him. BUT, if we can move Schultz and/or some other salary at the draft, I really would like for the Wild to take a stab at him. We've dumped our Slovakian mafia and signed a couple Czechs in Havlat and Zidlicky, and maybe that would be appealing for him. Would not like a super long term big money deal, but even a 5-year $30m deal would be fine.

I'd maybe do one year $2.5-3m on Jokinen but no longer or higher than that. Last year his shooting percentage was awful, he'd have to bounce back somewhat. He doesn't seem to like defensive systems, so maybe he'd do better here. And again, we have the Finnish connection going on.

Matt Cullen I'd be okay with if it's under $2m, but he's a third line center. Let's not pretend a 33-year-old who's hit 20 goals twice in his career and never reached 50 points is going to suddenly become an offensive wizard. He's a good player, good depth guy, but not a top sixer. And I'd rather hold out for a top sixer than dedicate more money to our depth with Weller and Brodziak already in the mix.
Based on the length/salary I expect(similar to yours) I'd rather just offer Ebbett 700k for 1-year to come back.

Old
05-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Meh, with Brodziak and Weller in the fold, no use for Ebbett. If we need a healthy scratch, we can keep Sheppard, and if we need a callup, we have Almond. Ebbett had a couple lucky goals, but didn't do much for 90% of the time he was here.

Old
05-28-2010, 04:55 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Meh, with Brodziak and Weller in the fold, no use for Ebbett. If we need a healthy scratch, we can keep Sheppard, and if we need a callup, we have Almond. Ebbett had a couple lucky goals, but didn't do much for 90% of the time he was here.
Yes but it keeps cap space to the future. And there is no guarantee Wellman makes the team, and based on how he played last year, is not a center in this league. Ebbett is more skilled than Almond or Brodziak, then again that isn't saying much. If we're not going anywhere in 2010-11, why invest in mediocre players past that year.

Before the Barker trade and Zidlicky re-signing, we had alot more options. But those moves put more $$$ into a well below average blueline, reducing our amount to spend to upgrade our pitiful forward lineup.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:57 AM
teddygmr

I'm curious about Kalus.
I see that he is a RFA but I think he has a lot of unrealized potential.
Will the Wild qualify him or let him move on?

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
I'm curious about Kalus.
I see that he is a RFA but I think he has a lot of unrealized potential.
Will the Wild qualify him or let him move on?
i think we'll let him move on. i've been hoping he'd show something for the last few years (excluding his stint in the KHL) but he hasn't impressed at all in his call-ups. I was hoping he'd at least be a clutterbuck type, but he's been invisible when he's out there under both Lemaire and Richards.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
I think Matthew Lombardi would be great centering Havlat and Latendresse. Will he really be asking for the 3.5-4 range cap hit wise?

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote