Wild moves this summer

Old
06-03-2010, 03:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
People need to stop looking at players like people, and instead look at them as resources that should be maximized.

Who cares if people "like" Gillies and Almond but "hate" Sheppard and Kalus? It seriously doesn't matter. At all.

It doesn't matter if you think Sheppard is a loser and needs to get shipped for a bag of pucks. You don't waste an asset, without reason, just because the asset looks like it's not what you once thought it was.

So Kalus and Sheppard aren't top-6 forwards like we all thought (and hoped) they'd be. Big deal. That doesn't mean that they still can't help the Wild in some fashion.
I know, why would people want to waste assets? It makes no sense.

Quote:
Harding - Must be moved, even if it's 50 cents on the dollar. You can't pay a back-up 1.1 million when your starter makes 6m. Get a cheap-back. They are everywhere.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Wildlife

With our situation we can't really afford to move anyone without getting at least SOMETHING back.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That's one of the reasons why Minnesota is in the situation they are in. Between the draft and free agency over the past few years, the team has had some abysmal asset management.

Old
06-03-2010, 03:38 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I know, why would people want to waste assets? It makes no sense.
Cap space = reason to move a player
Cap space = the ability to sign free agents or re-sign your own players

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:43 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

And how does that differ from those who do not want to pay James Sheppard or any of the other scapegoats?

I'm not saying that there isn't usually a reason to trade a player, but don't be the pot calling the kettle black. If anyone is going to be traded or let go, it is because of three reasons: cap space, the ability to fetch an acceptable price on the open market or someone younger and cheaper can do the job. It doesn't matter if you like the player or not, but that's how things work. You manage the assets as best as possible and try to get a return on them once they have outlived their usefulness; however if they don't have any value then it's time to let them sink or swim.

Old
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

But if a player doesn't provide better value over replacement, why bother putting them on the roster? Sheppard's 6 points were worse than just about any other non-enforcer in the league. Why keep him up here if he's a defensive liability and provides no offense? Same thing with Kalus, he'll run around and take penalties, and hasn't shown the ability to play down in Houston.

To be honest, I don't care about Gillies, I'd like to showcase him for a trade. He's got speed, but otherwise players like him are a dime a dozen, and maybe some team is dumb enough to give us something decent in return.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:51 PM
mnwildgophers

I say with Shep is we try to trade him, and just try to shove him to the minors if he has a bad camp (which he most likely will).

The good part is we don't need to trade Harding this offseason, but I have a good feeling that we will end up doing just that.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:05 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I say with Shep is we try to trade him, and just try to shove him to the minors if he has a bad camp (which he most likely will).

The good part is we don't need to trade Harding this offseason, but I have a good feeling that we will end up doing just that.
The reason Shep may not be re-signed has more to do with what his salary would be if they made him a qualifying offer vs what he is actually worth.

Shep has not earned a raise at all... he has never even shown the flashes that Pouliot did that made people believe he could improve in a different situation. Yet as a restricted free agent, he's guaranteed a 10% raise if the Wild want to make a qualifying offer to retain his rights.

I honestly don't see the Wild making him a qualifying offer, thus Sheppard will be gone.

On the free agent market, teams will be free to offer whatever the hell they like... which will be a lot less than he'd make if the Wild were to keep him.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:53 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
The reason Shep may not be re-signed has more to do with what his salary would be if they made him a qualifying offer vs what he is actually worth.

Shep has not earned a raise at all... he has never even shown the flashes that Pouliot did that made people believe he could improve in a different situation. Yet as a restricted free agent, he's guaranteed a 10% raise if the Wild want to make a qualifying offer to retain his rights.

I honestly don't see the Wild making him a qualifying offer, thus Sheppard will be gone.

On the free agent market, teams will be free to offer whatever the hell they like... which will be a lot less than he'd make if the Wild were to keep him.
I thought I read somewhere that his salary would be somewhere around $700,000 if we qualified him?

Old
06-03-2010, 11:57 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that his salary would be somewhere around $700,000 if we qualified him?
less than that I thought. 650k+?

Whatever performance bonuses wouldn't be written into his second contract....

James Sheppard and performances bonuses...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:37 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
less than that I thought. 650k+?

James Sheppard and performances bonuses...

ROFL!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Not possible, he was a first round pick and got the rookie max, which put him over $850 base on his entry level deal. Add in any bonuses he had (yes, roster bonuses are something he achieved along with games played), and you have to top the total value per year of his previous contract to qualify his rights.

And here you go... http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-n...gents-by-team/

James Sheppard C 21 $850,000

His salary cap hit was somewhere around $1.4mil, so after bonuses are factored in, he's due well over $1.5mil in his qualifying offer. I don't see the team being willing to even make that offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
That's actually the ONE thing you don't have to worry about. Performance bonuses in the NHL are only available to players on an entry level contract, or to players over the age of 35 on one year contracts.

Last edited by TaLoN: 06-04-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old
06-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The bonuses aren't part of the salary, I believe his QO would have to be $935k, about $400k too much.

Old
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
North Metro Peewees

[QUOTE=TaLoN;26126865]Not possible, he was a first round pick and got the rookie max, which put him over $850 base on his entry level deal. Add in any bonuses he had (yes, roster bonuses are something he achieved along with games played), and you have to top the total value per year of his previous contract to qualify his rights.

And here you go... http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-n...gents-by-team/

James Sheppard C 21 $850,000

His salary cap hit was somewhere around $1.4mil, so after bonuses are factored in, he's due well over $1.5mil in his qualifying offer. I don't see the team being willing to even make that offer.

I believe you are incorrect; his next contract offer would need to be based off his base salary and would not include bonuses. And he can actually be tendered the same 850k on a 2-way contract. Meaning they could offer him $850k if he makes the team but if he plays in Houston he would make much less.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:38 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

well lets throw him in houston then. the aeros could use some veteran leadership.

Old
06-04-2010, 03:24 PM
mnwildgophers

The question is...will he get picked up off waivers? Is it worth it to risk it? I think someone would pick him up so let's get at least a 6th rounder for him.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

His QO is 10% higher than his 2009-10 base.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My guess is we qualify him on a 1-year 2-way deal and try and trade him, I can't see them sending him to Houston because he'll just get picked up off waivers. If he starts the year out well, that's a bonus, if not, then maybe we see a trade.

Old
06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Again, there's no point for the Wild to sign Sheppard to a two-way deal; nor do I see him accepting one.

Old
06-04-2010, 07:29 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Agreed, Sheppard would have no incentive to sign a 2 way deal at this point.

And if that's the case about only being based off of base salary, the required 10% is still $935k as Jarick said. Still no way the Wild offer him that much IMO.

Old
06-04-2010, 07:42 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Agreed, Sheppard would have no incentive to sign a 2 way deal at this point.

And if that's the case about only being based off of base salary, the required 10% is still $935k as Jarick said. Still no way the Wild offer him that much IMO.
i'd rather have boogaard for that kind of scratch. seriously. at least he can fill a role.

Old
06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
nickschultzfan

Russo's latest on Bouchard does not seem promising. Might be a good chance that he's not on the roster next year.

Like I previously said, sign Plekanec and Jokinen with the cap space.

Old
06-05-2010, 12:20 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'd rather have boogaard for that kind of scratch. seriously. at least he can fill a role.
I'd rather have neither.

Old
06-05-2010, 11:20 PM
nickschultzfan

Just ran the cap numbers.

With the cap increasing by 2 million, and Bouchard sounding like he's not ready, we could honestly sign Kovalchuk and a decent center. Heck, if we traded Miettinen for a cheap 4th liner and a 3rd, we could sign Kovalchuk (7.5-8 m/year) and Plekanec (4.75-5m/year).

People keep saying those guys are going to sign for a ton, but have you guys seen the other teams cap/roster situations? There aren't as many teams as you think who can make big offers to those guys.

Gaborik got 7.5 from the Rangers, but that was the only team that offered that (besides the Wild earlier in the year). I don't see Kovalchuk getting anymore, unless he goes back to Atlanta (or Russia).

Old
06-06-2010, 12:49 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Just ran the cap numbers.

With the cap increasing by 2 million, and Bouchard sounding like he's not ready, we could honestly sign Kovalchuk and a decent center. Heck, if we traded Miettinen for a cheap 4th liner and a 3rd, we could sign Kovalchuk (7.5-8 m/year) and Plekanec (4.75-5m/year).

People keep saying those guys are going to sign for a ton, but have you guys seen the other teams cap/roster situations? There aren't as many teams as you think who can make big offers to those guys.

Gaborik got 7.5 from the Rangers, but that was the only team that offered that (besides the Wild earlier in the year). I don't see Kovalchuk getting anymore, unless he goes back to Atlanta (or Russia).
As long as Bouchard has a chance of getting healthy, you have to plan as though he will be healthy, as once he is cleared to play, he is back on the cap.