HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Zuccarello Aasen

Old
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysARanger View Post
First of all, I can tell you every single one of these Rangers-fans hope you are right. And you seem to know the most here about the Norwegian league and a whole lot about the SEL. You don't seem to know a whole lot about the NHL though, its something completely different. Also have some respect bro, dont say the people here have NO CLUE about this signing because thats simply off target and dead wrong. The odds of succeeding in the NHL being undrafted from Norway and at MZA's size is simply not in MZA's favour at all. I'm norwegian and probably one of the most optimistic people here too, but at least you have to understand those who are skeptic. There are a handfull valid arguements that MZA will not be a huge success in the NHL.

A guy like the extremely talented (way more talented than MZA) winger Nikolai Zherdev (former Ranger and Columbus Blue Jacket, youtube some highlights and see what I mean) couldnt get himself a contract after a few years in the NHL, just tellin'. Its simply not enough to be just talented if you i.e dont have your head in the right place all the time.

I have high hopes, and he is def no Brunnstrom or Ambuhl signing, but dont get your hopes too high. He could be considered a bust even before season starts if he isnt at his very best when the training camp starts. NHL is just completely different in every level than anything else hes been through.

Lets be a little bit realistic, hes not a sure bang in the NHL, because we simply can't know that. Hes also older than the players you compared him too at the time they left the SEL (no matter the reason), its different to be 22 and say like 18-19.

Read some other posts in this thread, like the ones from ola, a person who knows both the SEL and NHL well and one who has seen tons of swedes going from SEL to NHL and know a little bit more of what it takes and what to expect.

Lets look forward to a great Ranger- and MZA season anyways. Hes succeeded at every level so far, lets hope he does that one more time

Smootharello already sort of took care of this, but I find it ironic that you're labeling him as presumptuous while making all sorts of unfounded assumptions about his knowledge of the NHL, all of which seem to be false. You tell him to have respect but display very little yourself.

Also, Zherdev is in not "way more talented" than MZA.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:27 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

I like this Smootharello guy.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
via CapGeek's Twitter --

#nhl #nyrangers Mats Zuccarello-Aasen cap hit will be $1.75m

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1777

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post
CapGeek.com capgeek

#nhl #nyrangers Mats Zuccarello-Aasen cap hit will be $1.75m http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1777
Not bad. Good job noticing.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

hm. Well there you go.

Knew there had to be a reason we locked him up.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Matt just updated the MZA figures. Earlier today he posted 2 years/$1.8 million.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The MZA contract doesn't count against the summer cap. Only 1 way contracts count,the 1 way portion(pro rated based on # of days on the NHL roster the previous season)of a 2 way contracts count and group II QO's count with the same formula for 2 way contracts(NHL days count based on the previous season).

Old
05-31-2010, 11:08 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Definitely a fan of those numbers to be honest, but I'm of the party that believes this kid is going to produce at the NHL level.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smootharello View Post
Zherdev is in my mind not WAY MORE TALENTED than MZA... what do you base that on? if you ask (once again) Norwegian Ole Kristian Tollefsen, who played with him he will give you the answer to the question you are asking! He is a winer and complainer and play good if he is in the mood, and horrible if things isnt going his way.
They even traded Sergei Fedorov to compliment his line and to start the production.. but it didnt work!
I would say that Zherdev is a, almost "way", more talented stickhandler and dribbler then Pat Kane. But he isn't 1/10th the player Kane is.

Zherdev vs MZA? I don't know, thats a tough one. Tortorella couldn't work with Z, otherwise he would play here no doubt. Its not like he didn't do enough on the ice to show that normally it ought to be a given to invest in him. He was the best skater by a wide margin for a PO team in the NHL for 60 games.

MZA, I think he have a lot of potential. There are some smaller questionmarks, and its reasonable to expect it to take 2-3 years before he really gets going.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:46 AM
mullichicken25

another contract where we pay close to 2mil for 2 years for someone who we might not have a good idea about until 2 years down the road

i hope it works out, but with that contract i think he should spend a year on the pack if he doesn't dazzle everyone right out of the gate in camp/preseason

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Its almost $2 million only if MZA reaches all of the bonuses. if you want to get the player its not going to be cheap. Two way contract.

Old
06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smootharello View Post
First of all, i was NOT saying that people didnt have any clue about the signing in general (just my bad english in writing), the ting I was trying to say was that, they do not know how talented this kid really is! In other words, how big this signing CAN be! I have seen MZA play for several years, and I REALLY believe he will be an impact on this team...

I know alot about the Norwegian league (currently working for the organisation Mats played for and have many friends who play in this league), the SEL (have friends who play there too and have watched games live and on TV for many years).

WELL... what do i know about NHL?
Besides living in LA with a season ticket at the Staples for two years, watching live NHL games in Stockholm, Los Angeles, Toronto, New York, Anaheim and San Jose.
Have a good friend called Espen "Shampo" Knutsen, also known as Norways best hockeyplayer ever, who has played in the NHL`s ALLSTAR game and for Colombus and Anaheim.. and of course, watched NHL live on TV for some years... hmm.. I would say i know more about the NHL than a normal hockeyfan... but thats my mind.

I have talked to mr Knutsen outside the rink, "4 eyes only" and he also said that he thinks Mats will suceed (?) at the NHL level. He (Espen) have played in all of the three leagues, so im pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.. more than you, me or any other on this forum... wouldnt you agree?

I understand that people can be skeptic and that his size and the fact that he is from Norway can be things that people look at as a negative thing.
He didnt get drafted, but thats because he was playing in Norway. And i understand that the scouts didnt fly over to little Norway to look at a "5,7 tall kid playing in Norway...
On the other hand, a fellow Norwegian called Patrick Thoresen didnt get draftet after putting up 118 points a season in the QJHML either! Why? Cuz he was Norwegian?

Zherdev is in my mind not WAY MORE TALENTED than MZA... what do you base that on? if you ask (once again) Norwegian Ole Kristian Tollefsen, who played with him he will give you the answer to the question you are asking! He is a winer and complainer and play good if he is in the mood, and horrible if things isnt going his way.
They even traded Sergei Fedorov to compliment his line and to start the production.. but it didnt work!

When it comes to playing in the NHL as a 19 or 22 year old, im not stupid. I know what you meen. BUT, you have to look at if he is ready or not. Maybe the Sedins was ready when they signed as 19 year olds.. Mats is ready as a 22 year old. It doesnt take away the fact that he had better numbers than all of them?
Sedins, Forsberg etc had good season their first year coming directly from Sweden (forsberg won the Calder)... why cant MZA? Because he is Norwegian???

I know tons of swedes enter the NHL every season... but you cant compare young swedes coming out of the SEL with 15-20 points a season too a player who has played in the Olympics, World Cup (three times), won the scoring title in two leagues and won the MVP in the same league as the people mentioned earlier? SEL has had alot of good foreign players... for example during the lockout season (Hossa, Chara, etc)... but who has the scoring title for foreigners? Gaborik, Hossa or MZA??
This is not a Brunnstrom, Ambuhl or Johansson signing... if you didnt know that, you do not know anything about MZA`s caliber!

Its good stories and bad stories of players coming out of europe... but my guess, is that MZA is ready for the big stage.
Brian Burke, Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Steve Yzerman, Espen Knutsen, and half the GM`s in NHL agree with me... why wouldnt you?
- why the anger? Being a Ranger fan for years and a norwegian, I'm as excited about MZA as anyone. My recent posts about MZA could be referred to as blind love. I just tried to bring some balance to the whole thing. Maybe I first and foremost don't want to jinx him

-I probably got no reason to doubt your knowledge about the NHL, what could I know. Sorry about that one.

- I never said being a Norwegian qualified for failure for MZA. I tried to say that being undersized from a less known league and overseen 3 times in the entry draft not has the best odds historically. Is that a rude thing to say? Did I let somebody down by saying that?

- I think its a tremendous achievement for MZA winning the scoring title and MVP honors in SEL this year, the numbers really speak by themselves. The players you mentioned didnt play the whole season in SEL in 2005 and therefore comparing isnt really fair to anybody. Hossa had i.e an point average per game of 1.33 during his 24 or so games in the SEL.

- I know this isnt a Brunnstrom or Ambuhl signing and pointed that out. I have no idea why you attacked me for that.

- Zherdev has better hands, better wheels and a better shot than MZA in my opinion. Does that make MZA bad? Not at all ,and MZA is almost certainly the better player. I tried to point out that being talented isnt enough in the NHL and bringing Zherdev as an example. I did not say who is a head case and who isnt.

In general: Just felt u took some words out of my mouth that really wasnt there. MZA might be a superstar from day one or in one year, but there are potentially bumps on that road. I just dont want us to take anything for granted. Peace.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
HoosierDaddy

Norwegian hockey is unwatchable it's so slow and boringly bad. Nothing Zuc did here impresses me. Just going by the numbers. I did not see him play. I'm much more impressed with his play in the SEL. Wish him luck. But I don't expect much. Hope I'm wrong.

Espen "shampoo" Knutsen has his opinion. But the fact he's the best Norwegian ever tells you all you need to know about Norwegian hockey.

One good thing is that they'll show a lot more Ranger games on tv.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2550
I saw him play during the Olympics and he was fast but lets say he's going at that speed and he gets hit .. that could be pretty bad.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I saw him play during the Olympics and he was fast but lets say he's going at that speed and he gets hit .. that could be pretty bad.
Oh **** I didn't know people got hit in hockey. We should do something about this.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:21 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
This is of major concern, it will be fixed right away!

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
another contract where we pay close to 2mil for 2 years for someone who we might not have a good idea about until 2 years down the road

i hope it works out, but with that contract i think he should spend a year on the pack if he doesn't dazzle everyone right out of the gate in camp/preseason
His cap hit is only 900k unless he hits his performance bonuses. If he does that, then I don't think we'll mind giving him the extra 850k, because he'll have earned it.

Too bad we couldn't give Redden a similar contract lol.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Levitate

no, the bonuses do count, after a fashion. The thing is that they can normally be applied towards NEXT seasons cap, if they push the Rangers over this years cap.

So if you have a guy like MZA who's cap hit is nearly $2 mill because of his bonuses (whether or not he reaches them) then you can defer the amount of those bonuses to the next years cap hit, giving yourself more space to sign other players. Then if he doesn't get those bonuses, then they don't count towards next years cap hit. If he does get them, then they do count towards next years cap hit.

The problem is that the CBA is set to expire after this year, so since there's no agreement in place for 2011-2012, you can't defer bonuses to that year at the moment. So if the CBA doesn't get extended, the Rangers will have to bear the full burden of his nearly $2 mill cap hit this year.

On the other hand, if he's not ready for the NHL, then he goes to the Pack and makes 70k or whatever

Old
06-02-2010, 05:22 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

I´m lookin´forward to the next season and him in as a Blueshirt Saw many games of him as he played for MoDo and i think he´s a good addition for the team.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Levitate

He'll be the best Norwegian player ever!

Old
06-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
I´m lookin´forward to the next season and him in as a Blueshirt Saw many games of him as he played for MoDo and i think he´s a good addition for the team.
It will be very exciting to follow him in camp for sure.

I know people have concerns, other have really high hopes. I am not going to say that any concern is unwarranted, through out the years I've only really felt that about 2 prospects -- Marc Staal and Henrik Lundqvist. Well maybe about Fedor Tyutin too, like you knew he was NHL materia before he made it. You also knew he would not be "great", nor horrible. There was really no concern to worry about him since nobody really had very high hopes on him.

There are some legit concerns about MZA. Its important that we handle him well. You can certainly question his size, not so much his style nor workethic or something like that. You also like question his speed, he isn't MSL II. In other words, had he been 6'1 I would say that his speed is great. But for a midget he doesn't have speed to live on that alone.

I also don't think he is mega talented.

But he is darn darn smart. There is not one thing about his game that I don't like, just his size. He aint a showboat in any way. He ain't player that needs much room. There is so much things to like about him, and besides his size so little not to like about him. Think Pat Kane in terms of style, how his skills is spread out et c.

With that said, unless a kid is put in a perfect situation the kid will not score 50-60 pts in their rookie season. You don't do that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:36 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
There are some legit concerns about MZA. Its important that we handle him well.
We'll have Sather and Tortorella handling him...what could possibly go wrong?

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
With my 400th post (I know it pales in comparison to most of you!), I would like to welcome Mats Zuccarello Aasen to the Rangers!! I cannot wait to see what his name is going to look like on the back of his sweater. Do they even allow that many characters if you purchase a jersey?

This is solid news!

Mat's AAS would be a fan favorite!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
We'll have Sather and Tortorella handling him...what could possibly go wrong?
and hell go back to his country like ambuhl heikkeinen and Hannu Pikkarainen did. pikkarainen was on the same team as Aasen. I can only imagine what he said

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:04 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
and hell go back to his country like ambuhl heikkeinen and Hannu Pikkarainen did. pikkarainen was on the same team as Aasen. I can only imagine what he said
Ambuhl sucked ass. Pikkarainen sucked ass. Heikkeinen was very meh. Who gives a **** about them. My God.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote