HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Zuccarello Aasen

Old
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
nyr2417

vCash: 500
very gaborik-esque looks like he'll help our shoot out problems too.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
In Prust We Trust*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTsQTFmECc
Heres my Tribute for him , it will show you guys he can DANGLE

In Prust We Trust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Those Euro defensemen sure dont look like they have much interest in taking the body...MZA's ability to absorb punishment will be a big factor in how his skills translate to the NHL.

And as we've learned, never trust youtube clips.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Those Euro defensemen sure dont look like they have much interest in taking the body...MZA's ability to absorb punishment will be a big factor in how his skills translate to the NHL.

And as we've learned, never trust youtube clips.
Fairly certain that in Europe, you get called for a penalty if you line up hits that aren't small and weak.

I agree with ODC that the expectation in this thread are absolutely outrageous, but he's also being a moron for thinking he has absolutely no shot in hell of making the team. He's got undeniable talent, performed well in the Olympics, in an NHL-sized rink, against NHL players, and is only 22. At least give him a chance to show what he has to offer in the NHL.

That being said, I really think if he scores 30 points, that would be a successful season. If he scores 40-50+, I'll go out and buy a Zuccarello-Aasen jersey ASAP.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I understand the allure of Frolov. I actually like him as a player but if he gets over 4 million dollars I will think it is an overpayment. He is about on par with Antropov skill-wise which means, to me, that he shouldnt get over 4(which he most likely will).

I know this team needs more skill, MZA was a step in the right direction and I wouldnt even mind Zherdev coming back if he signs for around 3 million/year however, if your top-6 wings are Gaborik, MZA, Zherdev and Frolov, who goes in to get the puck? Those are skill players. The centers they most likely will be playing with(Christensen, Anisimov) are skill players as well. There needs to be some grit in the top-6.

I was able to watch about 10 Kings games this year and to me, Frolov was bad in pretty much every one. Granted, like you say, he was on a 3rd line playing a more defensive role but Versteeg was in the same position.

Its not that I dont like him as a player, its that I think he will be vastly overpaid.
So if they're skilled players, that means they're not willing to muck it up? Ansimov is strong on the boards. What we've seen from MZA is that he is willing to go to the dirty areas. Frolov, i haven't seen enough of i can't say. Gaborik, we personally know how tough that guy is (in how he plays), he'll go to the corners. EC, somewhat. Zherdev, not the strongest. Overall there's enough people willing to go to the dirty areas.

Look at a line like Buff-Toews-Kane. Yea, Buff is the big tough guy, going to corners, but hell Kane and Toews are extremely skilled but aren't tissue paper and go to the corners as well.

I'm just trying to say that if a player is skilled, that doesn't mean he is tissue paper and won't go to the corners.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Thank God Lindros doesn't play (as a Flyer!) anymore because he would have killed this guy. Gotta watch out for Pronger, you know he's gonna be lining this speedy skilled and small player up for a huge hit. I really do hope he keeps his head up or he's really really going to get hurt.

I wanna see the terms before I sign off on this being a great signing.
how ironic that you use a guy in lindros who is out of the league because despite being bigger than most of the players in the league he couldn't handle the punishment he took and therefore fell way short of expectations, in describing guys that mza would have to look out for. truthfully the bigger they are the harder they fall and its much easier to lineup a guy lindros' size than it is to lineup a guy like gionta fleury or mza. its not the hits that i'm worried about with the kid because he skates well and with his head up both traits that petr prucha lacked. I'm worried that due to his size he won't be able to get to the net or win any puck battles. in close is where it will either hurt his game or where he'll prove that he's a legit scoring threat in this league.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:48 PM
DrAStuart

As good a signing as I think this is, I still feel people need to take a deep breath and take a step back before we annoint MZA as the new messiah to lead the NYR to a cup...

I don't think his size is a huge disadvantage, but he is going to have to figure out how to play in a much more physically challenging league than he has played in so far. Small and speedy can be great assets if you can use them to get away from the bruisers who are going to come gunning for you...but you have to learn to do that.

Then there is going to be a longer season on a different surface. Again, another adjustment to be made. And there is more travel further afield in the NHL. Another adjustment.

None of this is to say he can't do it. I think he can and will. I will be very surprised if he does it immediately, though. We need to give the guy some time to make those adjustments before we expect him to repeat what he's done in the SEL.

Frodo is good, I don't think you can doubt that. But there's a learning curve that has to be mastered and however much you might prepare yourself mentally for all the things you have do you really can't make the adjustments until you're in the game and its real.

I think we need to lower the expectations and let him have some room to figure it out himself and with the help of the coaching staff and team mates. I have a lot of confidence in him, but he's got some challenges in front of him.

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Also, "Frodo from Modo" is an awesome nickname

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Whats wrong with a little optimism? No on is calling him a messiah, but considering him a potential top 6 candidate isn't as ******** as, say, calling Del Zotto a Calder candidate or Avery one of the 3 most valuable members of the team.

This board could use a little optimism. Especially since the barrage of self-pitying posts that have been endured since around the olympic break.

Both Montreal and Philidelphia had "season over or "should we tank" threads too. They just got lucky and ended up looking like the ******** fans this time.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
So if they're skilled players, that means they're not willing to muck it up? Ansimov is strong on the boards. What we've seen from MZA is that he is willing to go to the dirty areas. Frolov, i haven't seen enough of i can't say. Gaborik, we personally know how tough that guy is (in how he plays), he'll go to the corners. EC, somewhat. Zherdev, not the strongest. Overall there's enough people willing to go to the dirty areas.

Look at a line like Buff-Toews-Kane. Yea, Buff is the big tough guy, going to corners, but hell Kane and Toews are extremely skilled but aren't tissue paper and go to the corners as well.

I'm just trying to say that if a player is skilled, that doesn't mean he is tissue paper and won't go to the corners.
There are some skilled players who excel at those things. Toews is one.

A player like Gaborik who should be playing 22+ minutes a night shouldnt have to go in and battle for every loose puck every shift, he will wear down. that is why Buff does so well on that line.

Anisimov isn't "soft" but he isnt going to go into the corner every shift and win one-on-one battles. Christensen is the same way. If they are given space, they are dangerous, it will be finding that space that will be difficult without someone to get in hard on the forecheck.

I would actually say Frolov would be the closest player on that list to a player willing to "muck it up". He is a big body and likes to work down low but he is a tad slow so he will not always get there in time. Ideally Dubinsky and another big forward like him would be in the top-6.

I am not saying having 6 skilled players on a team is a bad thing, just that they shouldnt all play together unless your team plays a style like Detroit where the other team doesnt touch the puck.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
LamoTheKid

I have low expectations for him. Not that I want him to fail. But I want to see how his game translates to an 82 game season in the NHL. Great pickup though.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
There are some skilled players who excel at those things. Toews is one.

A player like Gaborik who should be playing 22+ minutes a night shouldnt have to go in and battle for every loose puck every shift, he will wear down. that is why Buff does so well on that line.

Anisimov isn't "soft" but he isnt going to go into the corner every shift and win one-on-one battles. Christensen is the same way. If they are given space, they are dangerous, it will be finding that space that will be difficult without someone to get in hard on the forecheck.

I would actually say Frolov would be the closest player on that list to a player willing to "muck it up". He is a big body and likes to work down low but he is a tad slow so he will not always get there in time. Ideally Dubinsky and another big forward like him would be in the top-6.

I am not saying having 6 skilled players on a team is a bad thing, just that they shouldnt all play together unless your team plays a style like Detroit where the other team doesnt touch the puck.
Fair enough, i can get definitely appreciate what you're trying to get across.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Prust We Trust View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTsQTFmECc
Heres my Tribute for him , it will show you guys he can DANGLE
NICE VID!!

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:32 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Whats wrong with a little optimism? No on is calling him a messiah, but considering him a potential top 6 candidate isn't as ******** as, say, calling Del Zotto a Calder candidate or Avery one of the 3 most valuable members of the team.

This board could use a little optimism. Especially since the barrage of self-pitying posts that have been endured since around the olympic break.

Both Montreal and Philidelphia had "season over or "should we tank" threads too. They just got lucky and ended up looking like the ******** fans this time.
Fitzy -- I'm all for optimism...and as a "potential" top 6, this guy looks good...I just worry about people pencilling him in for the top 6 on day one of the season when there are some important unknowns in the equation...By all means be optimistic, but being optimistic shouldn't mean you can't also be realistic. It can (and likely will) take some time to realize that potential...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Maybe so but look at the teams/linemates - it's not even close. Versteeg is a complimentary player and frankly Chicago is the perfect fit for him. He won't sniff the same kind of production in NY IMO.
I disagree. Versteeg is a guy who is fully capable of making his line mates better. Where Callahan can rush the puck down the wing and beat a defender out wide, he can rarely use any sort of creativity to generate a scoring chance. Versteeg can not only use his speed to beat a defender, but he has the vision and hands to create an opportunity for his line mates.

I think Versteeg can be a capable 25/40 player where Callahan is more likely to be a 20/20 guy. However, that's by no means a shot at Callahan's value. He'll be wearing the 'C' sooner rather than later. What Versteeg lacks in "heart" when compared to Callahan, he definitely makes up for it in skill with the biscuit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I just hope he pans out for the simple reason that I want to buy his player t-shirt.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:54 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Fairly certain that in Europe, you get called for a penalty if you line up hits that aren't small and weak.

I agree with ODC that the expectation in this thread are absolutely outrageous, but he's also being a moron for thinking he has absolutely no shot in hell of making the team. He's got undeniable talent, performed well in the Olympics, in an NHL-sized rink, against NHL players, and is only 22. At least give him a chance to show what he has to offer in the NHL.

That being said, I really think if he scores 30 points, that would be a successful season. If he scores 40-50+, I'll go out and buy a Zuccarello-Aasen jersey ASAP.
wait. moron ?

i never said he cant make the team. i said the expectations are out of control. hes been signed and hell be part of this team, but my concern is that hes..

coming from europe having played zero nhl games. sorry, the sel aint the nhl.

hes like 5'7. my 17 yr old daughter is taller than that.

hes playing on a smaller surface- this makes a huge difference for a small guy.

less room to dangle and dance and nowhere to hide- can he create on small ice?

hes going to get crushed. alot. and thus can he play hurt ?

can he play defense? can he play 2 way hockey up to coach clowns standards ?

and most of all, torts is his coach and for the little guy, thats bad. very bad.

i give it 2 months before the love affair turns into chateau bow wow for norwegian dwarf.

will he get pk minutes, prolly not. pp time. definitely not. will he get shifts if hes not scoring ? nope.

will torts the clown play him or give him the "lisin treatment"

will he score more than 30 points ?

very doubtful

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:54 PM
ecemleafs

why do people worry over the amount of hype us fans give someone?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:03 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Thank God Lindros doesn't play (as a Flyer!) anymore because he would have killed this guy. Gotta watch out for Pronger, you know he's gonna be lining this speedy skilled and small player up for a huge hit. I really do hope he keeps his head up or he's really really going to get hurt.

I wanna see the terms before I sign off on this being a great signing.
I'm not sure if your talking about bonuses in his contract, but it has been confirmed that it is a two year, two way deal with a cap hit of 900k per year. I posted it on the main board, but didn't bother to post it here because I assumed everybody already knew that.

Just in case:

Quote:
the Rangers beat out the rest of the competition and locked up Zuccarello-Aasen for two years.

In each of those two years, Mats will collect a $900,000 paycheck, but is capable of being sent down to the minors since his contract is reportedly a two-way deal.
http://www.rangerstribune.com/2010/0...blueshirt.html

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

A two way deal is expected, im still hoping on no bonuses, looks like it may come true. I wonder if the kid is willing to develop in Hartford if he isn't ready;
he's still young,

Or if he'll go back to Sweden or possibly the KHL to make quicker bank if he fails at a successful first NHL season. (See Heineken)

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

He's 1/4 italian (I believe), so he's good in my book .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
He's 1/4 italian (I believe), so he's good in my book .
My mother would agree with you there.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I disagree. Versteeg is a guy who is fully capable of making his line mates better. Where Callahan can rush the puck down the wing and beat a defender out wide, he can rarely use any sort of creativity to generate a scoring chance. Versteeg can not only use his speed to beat a defender, but he has the vision and hands to create an opportunity for his line mates.

I think Versteeg can be a capable 25/40 player where Callahan is more likely to be a 20/20 guy. However, that's by no means a shot at Callahan's value. He'll be wearing the 'C' sooner rather than later. What Versteeg lacks in "heart" when compared to Callahan, he definitely makes up for it in skill with the biscuit.
I gotta say, Callahan actually surprised me with some of the moves he pulled off this season. It's a sign he's still learning, developing, etc. I wouldn't be shocked if he surpassed 20/20 throughout his career.

Versteeg is clearly the more talented player though. He's a better shooter and passer. Protects the puck better, skates better, etc. Nowhere near as physical though.. He's good defensively, and doesn't take stupid penalty's, so we're not talking about a one-dimensional player.

I'm hoping MZA doesn't pan out to be yet another talented hockey player, that's not NHL material. Can he play hockey like the guys we're discussing? If he could, he'll make a good impact on this team, wherever Torts decides to play him.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I gotta say, Callahan actually surprised me with some of the moves he pulled off this season. It's a sign he's still learning, developing, etc. I wouldn't be shocked if he surpassed 20/20 throughout his career.

Versteeg is clearly the more talented player though. He's a better shooter and passer. Protects the puck better, skates better, etc. Nowhere near as physical though.. He's good defensively, and doesn't take stupid penalty's, so we're not talking about a one-dimensional player.

I'm hoping MZA doesn't pan out to be yet another talented hockey player, that's not NHL material. Can he play hockey like the guys we're discussing? If he could, he'll make a good impact on this team, wherever Torts decides to play him.
I have been saying this for days......Versteeg should not be compared to Callahan, he should be compared to Dubinsky. That is the more accurate comparison in terms of skill and style of play.

Old
05-27-2010, 08:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
A two way deal is expected, im still hoping on no bonuses, looks like it may come true. I wonder if the kid is willing to develop in Hartford if he isn't ready;
he's still young,

Or if he'll go back to Sweden or possibly the KHL to make quicker bank if he fails at a successful first NHL season. (See Heineken)
He said in the article he would be fine with going to the AHL if he needs to. He knows most players go there first so he would go through it if the team wants him to.