HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone Sharpen Skates?

Old
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Anyone Sharpen Skates?

This isn't a thread about how I should get my skates cut.

I've been playing hockey at the same place for about 5 months now, and I'm going to be helping out with them on weekends - cleaning up, helping manage the public sessions, silly stuff basically.

They don't have anyone who can cut skates well. And I figured if I used their rental skates to practice my sharpening, it can't be very hard.

But, anyone have any tips for me? I'm probably going to start trying to cut them within the next month or so.

05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Pioneer13

Have someone teach you. Even if nobody there "can cut skates well" at least they know how to use the machine and calibrate the skate holders. I don't know anyone who is 100% self taught in sharpening skates. Once you get the basics it's up to you to be precise and take pride in every skate you do. Treat a house league pee wees skates the same way you would treat yours or an elite junior or high school players. That's how you will get good, through repitition. Practice practice practice. It won't be fun but the more you do (if you are doing them correctly) the better you will get. And please, if you use the rentals for practice, get them right. Usually people who rent skates are beginners and you'd hate to give them a bad experience because their edges aren't even.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

you pretty much have to have someone show you.

there is alot of things you have to know about the machine

also there is alot of feel involved. what i mean is, i look at the blades, feel how sharp they are, look to see if they are level then go from there

also you have to know when to re dress the wheel. after a few sharpenings it has to be re dressed otherwise the sharpenings you deliver wont be sharp

and you have to know when yo cross grind the skates too, plus being able to look at the blade and tell if it needs to be sharpened and what has to be done to it

this one guy came into the shop once to get his sons skates sharpened and said "they arent too bad but i want to get them done anyways"

i looked at the bottom of the blade and was like "are these skates relatively new?" i could they had never been sharpened and that the kid has skated on them many times because of all the pucks marks and scratches on it

he said "i got them not too long ago, but they still have the factory sharpening on them"

i told him they dont sharpen them before they ship them

things like that which you figure out after a while

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
shoeshine boy

don't get lazy and don't let people rush you. the single most important thing about sharpening skates is to deliver the skates with even edges. if this means that it takes you twice as long because you have to adjust your skate holder so be it.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Cowbell232

I only plan on taking a rental pair in my size and cutting it, and then skating on them. Repeatedly. I'm not going to just sharpen rental skates for the sake of sharpening them. This way I don't actually mess anyones real skates up.

There are a few guys there that know how to sharp skates and redress the wheel and stuff, but they aren't very good because they don't do it a lot. I plan on doing it often to try to get good at it, or at least passable, lol.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:08 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
you pretty much have to have someone show you.

there is alot of things you have to know about the machine

also there is alot of feel involved. what i mean is, i look at the blades, feel how sharp they are, look to see if they are level then go from there

also you have to know when to re dress the wheel. after a few sharpenings it has to be re dressed otherwise the sharpenings you deliver wont be sharp

and you have to know when yo cross grind the skates too, plus being able to look at the blade and tell if it needs to be sharpened and what has to be done to it

this one guy came into the shop once to get his sons skates sharpened and said "they arent too bad but i want to get them done anyways"

i looked at the bottom of the blade and was like "are these skates relatively new?" i could they had never been sharpened and that the kid has skated on them many times because of all the pucks marks and scratches on it

he said "i got them not too long ago, but they still have the factory sharpening on them"

i told him they dont sharpen them before they ship them

things like that which you figure out after a while
Oh wow. You could see the parent had never owned a pair of skates himself. They are as blunt as they can get when you take them out of the box. Poor kid.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
TinofGrizz

I did it for about 10 years, still sharpen my own skates at the shop I used to work at because I am still good friends with the store manager. The biggest thing for me was getting the feel and pass speed down to a science, once that came together for me I was sharpening great. I used to have a blademaster "sharpening tips" sheet that I tried to dig out for you but I can't find it at the house or online, but I did find this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlademasterGuspro#p/u

They are some really good videos to give you an idea of what speed you need to move at and what pressure you need to use, in particular video 12 the "sharpening a hockey skate" video.

Also if you can find a cheap one pick yourself up a skate gauge, this is a key tool to make sure your edges are level.

http://www.blademaster.ca/products.asp?id=118

Feel free to ask anything else I have been sharpening a long time...

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:46 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
As others have said, having someone show you the ropes would be ideal. The last thing you want to do is to develop bad habits and without someone looking over your shoulder, who's to say if your technique is good or bad?

A few tidbits I'll throw out there...

-Take pride in your work, and look interested in what you are doing. There is nothing worse than a sharpener that is not interested in his craft. Standing up straight as a board, your head in the clouds, whipping the skates across the wheel as fast as humanly possible a zillion times looks baaaad.

-Practice your stroke...practice as if you were sharpening a skate, only with the machine off. Get familiar with the table, the holder, the wheel. This works quite well with the cross-grinder, as it can be a little intimidating at first. Get as close to the wheel as you can without touching it, and practice your stroke as if the wheel was spinning.

-Take your time. Who cares if it takes you 15 minutes to do a pair. A long sharpening done right is better than a quick sharpening done wrong.

-No two skates will be the same. You'll have to learn to make slight adjustments from skate to skate. After doing one skate, don't assume that the second skate will be identical. You may have to make small adjustments for the second skate.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote