HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

UFC Undisputed 2010

Old
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
UFC Undisputed 2010

Anyone buy it? If so how is it? I was all set to go buy it today but due to crappy weather I'm gonna go buy it tomorrow. I loved the demo of it but I was just wondering how well the actual full game itself is. Is it really that much better than UFC 2009? Is the Career Mode much more improved?

Discuss.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Good questions. I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe I'm just a noob or something, maybe you guys can help me with this.

I'm a casual UFC fan turned slightly more hardcore.

Anyways I bought 2009 when it first came out because I played the demo and liked the gameplay, with UFC there is only so much you can do, it isn't like WWE where they can use tables ladders and chairs

Anyways I was just wondering, is it even possible to do career mode with one of your fave fighters in UFC 2009? Any time I tried to, I could only do so with created characters. Again I could be wrong about this, was never 100% certain, to be honest I got bored of the game after playing it a lot with friends, online, and beating the career mode one time.

That having been said, the game is lacking. The controls were OK but half the time when submitting somebody, I didn't know if what I was doing was making the submission work or fail lmao.

I consider myself average at fighting games, not one of the pros who learns every combo etc, more-so the cheap kid that cheap shots you and somehow beats your skill. (In street fighter that was the case when I was a kid, but in this game, hell no)

I'm definitely a UFC 2009 noob, either way is the game really all that much better in 2010? Or is it just another roster same game type bs? I really don't want to play the same exact game, I think some of the controls and mechanics of the game need to be improved. Also whats with the bars for energy not being on by default? I think this game needs energy bars, submission bars, and of course, health bars. I know it's UFC so you can get KO'd randomly in 1 hit, but come on, give us some kind of sensibility here, it's a game, not a real UFC event.

Just wondering how they improved the game, cause if it's just graphics and roster, I'll stick to not playing 2009

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Anyways I was just wondering, is it even possible to do career mode with one of your fave fighters in UFC 2009? Any time I tried to, I could only do so with created characters.
No in UFC 2009 you could only play through Career Mode as a created fighter and not as say...BJ Penn or GSP.

Quote:
Just wondering how they improved the game
Here's a list of improvements.

http://www.mmaconvert.com/2010/02/06...-enhancements/

Old
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Quote:
Also whats with the bars for energy not being on by default? I think this game needs energy bars, submission bars, and of course, health bars. I know it's UFC so you can get KO'd randomly in 1 hit, but come on, give us some kind of sensibility here, it's a game, not a real UFC event.
You can turn on the health/energy bar in 2009 by pausing the game and selecting Options I think it is. Having them off by default IMO gives the fights more of an element of challenge. As with them off...you don't know just how badly injured or out out of steam your fighter is...or your opponent is.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:32 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
You can turn on the health/energy bar in 2009 by pausing the game and selecting Options I think it is. Having them off by default IMO gives the fights more of an element of challenge. As with them off...you don't know just how badly injured or out out of steam your fighter is...or your opponent is.
Fair enough, but when I play a game I play it because it's a game, not for the realism, though don't get me wrong, if a game is totally retarded in terms of realism that would have an effect on it for me, but I mean to say gameplay is my biggest concern

I like bars!

Old
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
neofury*

Just read all that stuff, to be honest it all sounds nice on paper, but will you be able to play through the career of GSP? (whether it's against his actual opponents or just randomized)

I don't want to have to go and make a new fighter, call him GSP, make him look like GSP, etc, when I could just use GSP lmao.

Old
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM

I used to be an ace in 2009 and had over 600 fights online. I think my record was something like 407-200 something or something close to that. The game was far from perfect but i loved it.

I tried 2010 and all i can say is that i HATE the new submission system. I'm sorry but rotating the right stick the fastest as you can is just not for me. I despise it and it's also quite hard on the controller. I much prefered button mashing to be honest.

The CPU on expert is also a pain in the ass. I have no problems on the fett but he's simply too strong in the clinch and reverse pretty much anything on the ground. The CPU also lay and pray with some of the fighters which is very annoying as it seems that all you do for the round is spamming transitions. It's also quite hard to posture up when in mount , even if you soften up the guy a lot with strikes. It's almost as if it was cheating (and it is in a way). There is also no way to sub the CPU on expert unless you are lucky. It's too unbalanced.

On another note , i like the fact that you can now customize every moves of a CAF and online training camps are pretty nice.Attention to details is also better in 2010 as fighters have some of their uniques moves , stances ect. Online play is also OK even though i have some disconnection problems but nothing that a patch can't fix. As a whole the game is not bad in multiplayer but need adjustement in single player. The submission system also need to be revamped for 2011 because the current one if a pain in the ass as far as i'm concerned.

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Just read all that stuff, to be honest it all sounds nice on paper, but will you be able to play through the career of GSP? (whether it's against his actual opponents or just randomized)

I don't want to have to go and make a new fighter, call him GSP, make him look like GSP, etc, when I could just use GSP lmao.
I'm not sure, I'll get back to you when I start playing the game.

I know for a fact, that there is a mode called "title mode." That mode puts you up against, I think, 12 guys on your way to the Championship fight. So basically, you'd fight through the entire 12 challengers with GSP and fight for the title. Basically a story mode without the frustrating training elements that I hated.

They also have added EVENT MODE, which is basically like Create-A-PPV in WWE games. You can create up to 8 fights for a show and you get an introduction, match run down, etc. Looks sweet.

Also the CAF is quite improved this year from various reports.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Okay, I went through the book. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can play Career Mode with GSP. BUT .. read these game modes before you give up.

TITLE MODE: Follow your selected fighter as you make your way up from Fight Night Venues to the Pay-Per-View Arenas in your quest for the UFC Championship.

Followed by;

TITLE DEFENSE MODE: Now that you've earned your Championship Title, it's time to defend it! Take on 12 contenders who all want your title. See how long you can last you earn points based on your performance in the Octagon.

Ontop of that you have;

Tournament Mode (four, eight, or 16 man tournament), Ultimate Fights Mode (recreate the best fights in the history of UFC).

Old
05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

I also agree about the submission system. It's crap. Rotating the right stick as fast as you can is just not for me either. I hated it in '09. Plus it's a great way to put stress on your controller's analog sticks/potentially break them.

If this is the route they are sticking for good regarding the game's submission system from now on then I propose that UFC 2011 (as well as all other futuristic installments after that) should come with a free Dualshock 3 controller.

In any case I look forward to grabbing UFC 2010 tomorrow.

Old
05-26-2010, 06:31 PM
neofury*

To be honest that first one you mentioned where you can choose your fighter and do a story mode sounds good enough to me. I despised having to train my fighter and due to it being stupid I always over or under trained him cause I just didn't care. Then you get to this peek where you can only make one of your core attributes the strong one, but can change it for whichever fight.

I dunno, game kind of pissed me off but I loved playing multi with friends lol. I'm a child with games like GTA IV and UFC 2009, half the fun for me is just running around killing people causing explosions and doing dumb **** with cars, and in UFC 2009 knocking people out, wearing them out by breaking their stomach lmao. Fighting against friends and going for cheap head kick KO's lmao. I was a big fan of WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2006, I just find the franchise got worse and worse. Same with WWE Day of Reckoning, 1t one was good, second one not so much. Come on THQ, you go from WWF No Mercy to these half assed ps1 efforts, and now these ****** games... sigh.

These fighting games can never get it right. They make a slew of weak efforts followed by one good one, and they never follow it up.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I also agree about the submission system. It's crap. Rotating the right stick as fast as you can is just not for me either. I hated it in '09. Plus it's a great way to put stress on your controller's analog sticks/potentially break them.

If this is the route they are sticking for good regarding the game's submission system from now on then I propose that UFC 2011 (as well as all other futuristic installments after that) should come with a free Dualshock 3 controller.

In any case I look forward to grabbing UFC 2010 tomorrow.
I played 09 a lot, and I've never had a right analog stick wreck on me. I've broken two PS3 controllers in my 2-year ownership. The first one, my puppy chewed off the left analog stick. The second was due to Call of Duty 4. The left analog stick sometimes sticks in and always sticks up.

Quote:
To be honest that first one you mentioned where you can choose your fighter and do a story mode sounds good enough to me. I despised having to train my fighter and due to it being stupid I always over or under trained him cause I just didn't care. Then you get to this peek where you can only make one of your core attributes the strong one, but can change it for whichever fight.

I dunno, game kind of pissed me off but I loved playing multi with friends lol. I'm a child with games like GTA IV and UFC 2009, half the fun for me is just running around killing people causing explosions and doing dumb **** with cars, and in UFC 2009 knocking people out, wearing them out by breaking their stomach lmao. Fighting against friends and going for cheap head kick KO's lmao. I was a big fan of WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2006, I just find the franchise got worse and worse. Same with WWE Day of Reckoning, 1t one was good, second one not so much. Come on THQ, you go from WWF No Mercy to these half assed ps1 efforts, and now these ****** games... sigh.

These fighting games can never get it right. They make a slew of weak efforts followed by one good one, and they never follow it up.
WWF No Mercy (preceeded by Wrestlemania 2000 and WCW/NWO Revenge) were all amazing games. However, for once, I liked the latest edition of Smackdown VS Raw. They seemed to really revamp it a little bit and I enjoyed this years edition for the first time in years. I'd wait for 2011 as they were a few bugs with the new revamping that should be fixed.

PS. If you have a PS3, you get 5 free blu-ray fights inculded on the disc as well as 3 exclusive Legend Characters.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Dylonus

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

It is utterly pathetic.

-Massive CPU bias
-Career Mode is a joke
-Difficulty curve makes it impossible for new players (I'm struggling on advanced, which is the 3rd of 4 difficulties and I beat career mode on expert last year)
-Massive homerism with fighters (Michael Bisping is impossible to beat. As is Frank Mir, Ryan Bader)
-The CPU CHEESES out the ass. They exploit the new "cage" usage like CRAZY
-MASSIVE glitches as well...

The worst of all is the new "flash" submission or KO. There are RANDOM submissions or punches that just automatically knock you out. I'm not talking about real life style, but I'm talking super punches or subs.

I started a fight once against Ryan Bader, I blocked the first punch, then he hit me with elbow. DONE. He didn't catch me leaning. I had my guard hit, I tried a counter grapple and it didn't work. This wasn't even on EXPERT

Oh, and Anderson Silva always gets the flash sub. I pummeled him for a minute and a half to start a fight. He countered grapple (dodged my hand and caught it) pull me into guard in one motion and someone pulled me right into a chokehold. I was out before I even got the chance to counter.

Oh, and the hidden character are freezing up some consoles as well. All they are, are random guys you can beat the hell out of. Then there is Shaq (the NBA center)

Please. Save your money. Don't buy this game.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

It is utterly pathetic.

-Massive CPU bias
-Career Mode is a joke
-Difficulty curve makes it impossible for new players (I'm struggling on advanced, which is the 3rd of 4 difficulties and I beat career mode on expert last year)
-Massive homerism with fighters (Michael Bisping is impossible to beat. As is Frank Mir, Ryan Bader)
-The CPU CHEESES out the ass. They exploit the new "cage" usage like CRAZY
-MASSIVE glitches as well...

The worst of all is the new "flash" submission or KO. There are RANDOM submissions or punches that just automatically knock you out. I'm not talking about real life style, but I'm talking super punches or subs.

I started a fight once against Ryan Bader, I blocked the first punch, then he hit me with elbow. DONE. He didn't catch me leaning. I had my guard hit, I tried a counter grapple and it didn't work. This wasn't even on EXPERT

Oh, and Anderson Silva always gets the flash sub. I pummeled him for a minute and a half to start a fight. He countered grapple (dodged my hand and caught it) pull me into guard in one motion and someone pulled me right into a chokehold. I was out before I even got the chance to counter.

Oh, and the hidden character are freezing up some consoles as well. All they are, are random guys you can beat the hell out of. Then there is Shaq (the NBA center)

Please. Save your money. Don't buy this game.
Sounds like someone fights too aggressive.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Zodiac

i played UFC 2010 for about 4 hours last night and really enjoy it. very addictive, imo.

loved the 2009 version, too. i haven't started the career mode yet, so i can't really comment on that ...but the combat seems a bit better than it was last year. it doesn't seem a whole lot different, but there are some changes that are pretty cool ...ie, working against the cage, switching to a different submission after attempting one to throw your opponent off, and the clinch seems a little better as well.

graphics seem about the same and there's a lot of different game types both online and offline to keep you busy, it seems.

if you enjoyed the demo, you'll really enjoy the full game i would think.

here's the Gametrailers video review which seems quite informative.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...isputed/100541

Last edited by Zodiac: 05-26-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Sounds like someone fights too aggressive.
haha

actually I'm the opposite. I let them stick and I step back then counter.

Seriously. Try going through career mode and facing Ryan Bader. IF you kick, he counters and takes you down.

If you try to go toe-to-toe with counter punches, he eventually goes for the takedown and always wins.

This was a good START, but it's far from a finished product. Im selling it on Amazon as we speak. Im sold a bunch of old games, and sold back 2 games to gamestop which I got free to begin with.

I only paid 7 bucks for this game. That's 7 bucks too many IMO.

Money making FTW!!!

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Okay, I went through the book. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can play Career Mode with GSP. BUT .. read these game modes before you give up.

TITLE MODE: Follow your selected fighter as you make your way up from Fight Night Venues to the Pay-Per-View Arenas in your quest for the UFC Championship.

Followed by;

TITLE DEFENSE MODE: Now that you've earned your Championship Title, it's time to defend it! Take on 12 contenders who all want your title. See how long you can last you earn points based on your performance in the Octagon.

Ontop of that you have;

Tournament Mode (four, eight, or 16 man tournament), Ultimate Fights Mode (recreate the best fights in the history of UFC).
i had no problems with 'title mode' ...but when it came to 'title defense mode' that's when i started having problems. half the opponents would be a cakewalk, but then you'd run into the guys that end up reversing almost everything you throw at them. seemed kinda cheap ...but it could have been that i'm still new to this year's game.

i even switched it to the easiest game difficulty and the ****ers would still end up reversing everything and beating me.

i'll give it another try and see what happens ...but that did seem a little on the cheap side ...i mean come on ...CPU opponents shouldn't get that cheap on the easiest difficulty.

still i had a good time playing the game so far. really fun ...and it should be a great game to play with your drinkin buddies.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Haha, Anderson Silva is even a ********* in this game!

I just went 5 rounds with Silva (with Demian Maia). He rocked me, I think, 3 times in the fight. I dominated the ground game however, although I couldn't mount much of an offense other than one complete full mount which he go out of. He got out of all my submissions too. I only landed 2 or 3 clean strikes on the feet, with the exception of about 20 leg kicks (which I love to use).

I thought I was done at one point of the fight when we went into a clinch and we're both delievering knees. His knees were connecting a lot more clean though since he's so tall and lanky. That rocked me, up against the cage, but I managed to escape still alive.

Anyway, after round #5, Silva acts like he just won the fight so easily. Being all cocky and acting like he just won the Championship (even though he's the champion). Maia just walked back to his corner as to say, I'm confident that I'm the winner, but I'm not a ******.

And then...

WINNER BY DECISION AND NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION, DEMIAN MAIA!!

So great!!

Old
05-27-2010, 10:01 AM
neofury*

lmfao that sounds awesome. Dude honestly I'm a sucker for games like this.... it'll probably be 69.99$ spent well elsewhere but oh well, I see myself likely buying this game tomorrow

Old
05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
lmfao that sounds awesome. Dude honestly I'm a sucker for games like this.... it'll probably be 69.99$ spent well elsewhere but oh well, I see myself likely buying this game tomorrow
It was only $59.99 @ Walmart.

It just pissed me off majorly though. I'm doing career with my CAF and in my first first, I lost a decision 29-28. WTF?! He rocked me ONCE! I threw about 200 leg kicks that we're hurting him and took him down about 15-20 times. He barely had ANY offense. Pisses me the **** off.

Still awesome though.

Old
05-27-2010, 11:33 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Am gonna go pick this up in a few hours.

Old
05-27-2010, 03:19 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Just got home and am installing the game data onto my PS3 as we speak.

Old
05-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking forward to hearing how this goes, I think I'll skip out on NHL 11 this year (since NHL 10 is pretty boss), and just grab UFC 2010.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Looking forward to hearing how this goes, I think I'll skip out on NHL 11 this year (since NHL 10 is pretty boss), and just grab UFC 2010.
NHL 11 is going to be amazing.

You could always trade in two games at Future Shop for UFC (or NHL when it comes out). They have a list of games on the website that updates on a regular basis.

Old
05-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
NHL 11 is going to be amazing.

You could always trade in two games at Future Shop for UFC (or NHL when it comes out). They have a list of games on the website that updates on a regular basis.
It's gonna be the same game with CHL teams.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote