HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/26 Discussion - If Koivu leaves, do the Wild rebuild?

View Poll Results: If Koivu leaves after the 2010-2011 season, should the Wild rebuild?
Yes they should rebuild 12 80.00%
No they should use free agency and trades to stay competitive 0 0%
Who cares? They are dead to me. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Beyond that, I don't buy the idea that we can just trade Havlat, Zidlicky, Backstrom, and anyone else under contract with some kind of NTC. Those kinds of silly ideas are what is frustrating to read these forums. Like we can just get rid of contracts we signed less than a year ago!
If you're referring to my post - suggesting trades for players with NMC/NTCs gets on my nerves as well, but for the purposes of this thread I think it's a legitimate topic of discussion. If Koivu, Burns, etc are shipped off or leave through FA, why would Zidlicky, Backstrom or Havlat want to stay? I highly doubt any of them want to play through a rebuild, thus they'd be more likely to waive their clauses.

At any rate, it isn't going to matter because Koivu will resign.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just figured it Koivu or Gaborik were represented by Walsh, we would have had nonstop tweets and controversy over every little thing they did.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:08 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I just figured it Koivu or Gaborik were represented by Walsh, we would have had nonstop tweets and controversy over every little thing they did.
Yeah we would know exactly who scored 40 goals last season.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
the whole "rebuilding" thing...the one thing that I have trouble believing is that Leipold will be willing to swallow several years in a row of operating at a huge loss (ticket revenue and sponsors. concessions I understand took a huge loss last season) with the hope that those years' worth of picks and canny trades will result in success enough to make up for those losses.

Say I project my team will lose $10 million dollars the first year of the rebuild, and $13 the next. The third year I will only lose $8 million as fans and sponsors start to come back halfway through the season when the plan starts to come to fruition. Make the playoffs, exit after 5 games, and make a couple million per game up.

Year four there is serious buzz, but enough skepticism to keep people from buying as many season tickets and suites as I would want. Still not guaranteed that revenue as people opt to buy individual games.

I would make every attempt to get rid of guys like Backstrom, Zidlicky, Havlat, and Schultz. I realize there are NTCs involved but I would want to get under some sort of self-imposed cap to soak up the losses. If we're blowing it up, we're blowing it up. Hire low end (and dirt cheap) FAs like Skoula and Viellieux as needed until your prospects show NHL competence. High-end, end of the road vets like Nolan and Brunette would stay the hell away, but you could try to land someone with character to serve as a moral compass if nothing else.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:39 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Here's the thing though. What has shown the ownership group that fans will stay home and not watch the Wild if they put out a bad product? Minnesota has missed the playoffs the last two years and there's still a 16,500 season ticket base with many more waiting in the Warming House.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 07:45 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

As a season ticket holder, I will say this;

The season ticket numbers are not as big as you've been led to believe. And the warming house is filled with members who are waiting for lower end face value tickets. Most, if not all, are not willing to pay the price of the seats available to them so they stick around waiting for something in their price range to open up. I'd be willing to bet you could call up today and have season tickets in the lower bowl within the hour.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:00 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Here's the thing though. What has shown the ownership group that fans will stay home and not watch the Wild if they put out a bad product? Minnesota has missed the playoffs the last two years and there's still a 16,500 season ticket base with many more waiting in the Warming House.
I know i'm still going, but i know more than a few who aren't renewing. Could be paranoia on my part, but there seems to be a new sense of...I don't want to say desperation, but there is definitely an urgent note in my correspondence with the reps. The people in the Warming house can pay to stay in the warming house--they don't have to buy tickets and i suspect most of them will continue to pay the $300(?) and wait for the Wild to get better. A lot of them are holding out for the non-existent upper bowl seats.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:38 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
If Koivu does leave I would be hard pressed to call myself a Wild fan anymore. I think that would be the last straw for me. Losing our two best players in two years does not exactly give me confidence that management is doing their best or even good enough to assemble a winning team. I think we lose Mikko we would have to go into full blown rebuild more. Not just because we would lose our best player, but I think we would have an even more difficult time luring FA's with what would become a dubious pattern of losing not only top tier talent, but losing talent we drafted and developed ourselves.

All that being said I have a LOT confidence that we will be able re-sign Mikko. He is a lot more pro-Wild than I think Gaborik ever was. Although in slight Gaborik's defence I do think our previous GM did jerk him around a bit. But that seemed to be a two way street thanks to agent Allan Walsh. GMCF has already shown that he is an aggressive GM that will pull the trigger on something if he wants it. I betting there will be an extension in place before Labor Day.

By the way who is Mikko's agent?
We've already started with or without Koivu, were already getting younger.
Seriously though guys if Koivu leaves its not 2012 the world isn't going to end,
we'll still have Barker,Burns,Latendress and Kobasew along with Cuma,Scandella and what ever we get for Harding/Backstrom.

And you can't Judge CF on just 2 years and also he wasnt in charge when Gaby left besides he had made up his mind by this time last year.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:51 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
We've already started with or without Koivu, were already getting younger.
Seriously though guys if Koivu leaves its not 2012 the world isn't going to end,
we'll still have Barker,Burns,Latendress and Kobasew along with Cuma,Scandella and what ever we get for Harding/Backstrom.

And you can't Judge CF on just 2 years and also he wasnt in charge when Gaby left besides he had made up his mind by this time last year.
For many people it's just the last straw. It's hard to take what has happened over the past few years. Seriously, when you throw together the years of poor drafting and empty cupboard (no stars, maybe two role players), bad asset management (letting top player after player walk away for nothing), the reputation of trap play, the fact that there is no one to get excited about (provided Martin Havlat doesn't turn things around), no rivals or teams which hate us and vice versa, general fan apathy and last but not least, the fact that the fans have continued to support and spend hard-earned dollars on a team which is apparently going nowhere.

Management needs to learn somehow because frankly, there's plenty of other hockey for one to get their fix besides the NHL.

Old
05-31-2010, 07:00 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
For many people it's just the last straw. It's hard to take what has happened over the past few years. Seriously, when you throw together the years of poor drafting and empty cupboard (no stars, maybe two role players), bad asset management (letting top player after player walk away for nothing), the reputation of trap play, the fact that there is no one to get excited about (provided Martin Havlat doesn't turn things around), no rivals or teams which hate us and vice versa, general fan apathy and last but not least, the fact that the fans have continued to support and spend hard-earned dollars on a team which is apparently going nowhere.

Management needs to learn somehow because frankly, there's plenty of other hockey for one to get their fix besides the NHL.

Well I think that CF and his guys need to be given more time to produce results and we know that the cupboard was bare when he got here, I think we can all agree that Doug Reisbrough is and idiot and he left CF with basically nothing.
Now I will admit it will be hard take if Koivu leaves and knowing that if he leaves it will start snowballing but CF has got some pieces and the deal for Barker is going to look great in a few years. Honestly I think that Koivu will stay but if he leaves it wont be as a UFA.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:50 AM
mnwildgophers

Koivu would be the last straw for me, as I probably would still watch the team and follow them, but it would be super tough for me to get excited about anyone else except for Koivu. We all love him here, and I think he likes it here. I'm sure that he will re-sign this offseason as we get him a lifetime extension.

GMCF came into a mess, and has tried to fix it. He signed 3 college FA's, which is pretty much a crapshoot, but if one of these guys could turn out well, you just never know. I think this draft will be HUGE for upgrading our prospect pool. If you ask me, this is probably the biggest draft in the next couple of years as it's supposed to be a "strong" draft.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:50 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Whether Koivu chooses to leave or not... the Wild have no choice. IMO this IS a rebuilding period already.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:52 AM
BigT2002

Keep in mind, the Wild have one of the biggest Finnish fanbases outside of the state/country. The main reason for that is because of Koivu and Backstrom. We may all demand a better product out of Backstrom, but those two men are part of their national team and you know Mikko will most likely be the Captain of it at Sochi if the NHL allows the players to leave. So while we may all be the holder of the team, we are not the only fans with a voice as well for that matter. In fact, I would bet this team gets a little more Finnish as the years go by as well. One of the big things with Finnish players is they like to play with one another with who is typically their linemate on the National team. Saku went to Annaheim to be with Selanne. Mikko and Mittens played on the same line in Vancouver as well.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The biggest reason the Wild won't just give up and do a teardown rebuild is that when you lose Minnesota fans, it's incredibly difficult to get them back. Why go to 41 games of losing hockey if you can put that money towards 8 games of winning football? Same thing with the Wolves, they have nobody in the stands and probably won't for years to come. The Twins had to build a new stadium to get anybody to show up, and the Wild already have one of the best arenas, probably the only reason half the people show up. With the steady rise in ticket prices and concessions, I think we're a lot closer to seeing the "warming house" empty out than we think. Remember, the only numbers we're given are those from the Wild's PR staff.

The Wild have had maybe two good seasons in the last ten years, played unexciting hockey for most of the time, and have been a completely afterthought nationally. If they can't make the playoffs this year, people are going to walk away from the team. Especially if the Vikings play well again and if the Gophers can pick it up. Too much competition in this town for a team to be lousy and uninteresting for years on end.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
The biggest reason the Wild won't just give up and do a teardown rebuild is that when you lose Minnesota fans, it's incredibly difficult to get them back. Why go to 41 games of losing hockey if you can put that money towards 8 games of winning football? Same thing with the Wolves, they have nobody in the stands and probably won't for years to come. The Twins had to build a new stadium to get anybody to show up, and the Wild already have one of the best arenas, probably the only reason half the people show up. With the steady rise in ticket prices and concessions, I think we're a lot closer to seeing the "warming house" empty out than we think. Remember, the only numbers we're given are those from the Wild's PR staff.

The Wild have had maybe two good seasons in the last ten years, played unexciting hockey for most of the time, and have been a completely afterthought nationally. If they can't make the playoffs this year, people are going to walk away from the team. Especially if the Vikings play well again and if the Gophers can pick it up. Too much competition in this town for a team to be lousy and uninteresting for years on end.

Let me put it this way....the marketing people are still calling me about my tickets and the STH renewal has passed

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

The Vikings also needed Favre to insure sellouts last year. If you don't improve or take that next step, it's hard to justify watching the product.