HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "I want to complain about Regier" Thread (Merged)

Old
06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Can you really blame him for not being able to trade into the top of the 2nd round with just his 3rd round picks? It took the 49 + 109 for LA to trade up to get the 47, or in other words a 4th rounder to move up 2 spots. Would 2 thirds have done the trick? Doubt it.
He could have offered the Sabres 2011 2nd rounder. I think the underlying issue is that Regier dropped the ball on asset management for a few years. The Sabres lost McKee, Dumont, Briere, Drury, Kalinin, Spacek, and Afinogenov and got nothing in return. They paid high prices to acquire most of those players. He came to his senses with Campbell, but the Sabres are still paying a heavy price for those other losses.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
He could have offered the Sabres 2011 2nd rounder. I think the underlying issue is that Regier dropped the ball on asset management for a few years. The Sabres lost McKee, Dumont, Briere, Drury, Kalinin, Spacek, and Afinogenov and got nothing in return. They paid high prices to acquire most of those players. He came to his senses with Campbell, but the Sabres are still paying a heavy price for those other losses.
...and likely Tallinder and Lydman. That's a lot of talent to show the door with nothing in return.

06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...and likely Tallinder and Lydman. That's a lot of talent to show the door with nothing in return.
until these ass clowns arent in charge of the team, buffalo will remain a revolving door for talent.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
chi777

Quote:
Precisely why Regier is a bad GM. Many of those guys could have been shipped out for some sort of return but in the end we lose them for nothing. Now we're paying big money for a team that can't even score a PP goal in the playoffs, if they're even lucky enough to make the playoffs, that is.

Hopefully this is the last season of this clown.

chi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:26 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

I had a nice laugh today listening to WGR. Paul Hamilton was saying Regier predicted a very active trade market during the draft.

Is he ever right about anything concerning the market?

SabresAreScaryGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777 View Post
Precisely why Regier is a bad GM. Many of those guys could have been shipped out for some sort of return but in the end we lose them for nothing. Now we're paying big money for a team that can't even score a PP goal in the playoffs, if they're even lucky enough to make the playoffs, that is.

Hopefully this is the last season of this clown.
I would have loved to see the reaction on line and in the media had Regier moved Tallinder & Lydman for picks at the deadline last year......

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think people are misinterpreting what Regier is saying in that quote. I've seen several posters, both on this site and others, get upset because they believe he's saying that he's not moving any roster players to make acquisitions. I don't think that's what he's saying at all. I think he's trying to say that he's looking to improve the roster and he's not going to make any seller-type deals. For example, he's not going to trade Drew Stafford for a 2nd round pick. However, I do think he'd trade Stafford to acquire a Kaberle or similar player.
Regier said the same thing about being proactive and buyers at the trade deadline and look what the Sabres ended up with - Raffi Torres for a draft pick. Let's not kid ourselves - his recent interview last week on WGR reaffirmed his infatuation and overvaluing of his own players when he called Roy and Connolly as being in the top 20centers in the league. He may claim to be willing to trade anyone but it's becoming evident that only if he gets a ransom in return will it happen.

I'm losing hope in expecting any trades of significance - the more realistic situations to happen will probably be Regier settling for role players that aren't in demand by most teams and require only low-end prospects to acquire.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Regier said the same thing about being proactive and buyers at the trade deadline and look what the Sabres ended up with - Raffi Torres for a draft pick. Let's not kid ourselves - his recent interview last week on WGR reaffirmed his infatuation and overvaluing of his own players when he called Roy and Connolly as being in the top 20centers in the league. He may claim to be willing to trade anyone but it's becoming evident that only if he gets a ransom in return will it happen.

I'm losing hope in expecting any trades of significance - the more realistic situations to happen will probably be Regier settling for role players that aren't in demand by most teams and require only low-end prospects to acquire.
Let's also not kid ourselves--the vast majority of this board was absolutely elated with the Torres trade at the time. Sure people wanted him to do more, but in general the Torres trade was well received, he was just a complete flop.

Plus, Roy finished 16th among centers in points and Connolly 22nd. And both guys aren't slouches in their own end even if they're not going to be winning Selkes anytime soon (hell, Connolly even got a 4th place vote for the Selke...and no, that's not a joke, although perhaps the vote was, but I digress) It's not a helluva stretch to say they're both top 20 centers by any means. Now, whether they are the right players to lead this team going forward is an entirely different matter altogether which has been debated ad nauseum in this and other threads.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:22 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
Let's also not kid ourselves--the vast majority of this board was absolutely elated with the Torres trade at the time. Sure people wanted him to do more, but in general the Torres trade was well received, he was just a complete flop.

Plus, Roy finished 16th among centers in points and Connolly 22nd. And both guys aren't slouches in their own end even if they're not going to be winning Selkes anytime soon (hell, Connolly even got a 4th place vote for the Selke...and no, that's not a joke, although perhaps the vote was, but I digress) It's not a helluva stretch to say they're both top 20 centers by any means. Now, whether they are the right players to lead this team going forward is an entirely different matter altogether which has been debated ad nauseum in this and other threads.
The problem isn't either one by themselves as much as it is having both of them as the top-six centers. They're two of the least physically imposing centers in the league.

Among centers, Roy ranked 149th in hits last year with 27. Connolly ranked 153rd with 23 hits.

When you combine that with Vanek, Pominville, Ennis, and Hecht on the wings, none of whom are really physical, you have a top-six composed of players who are just way too similar.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:

Good teams need more than just two top 20 centers. Ideally at least one top ten, if not two.

Especially when both of your supposed top centers wilt under the pressure of the playoffs and simply aren't effective when the intensity and physicality get cranked up. It also doesn't help when one of them is a soft midget that can't stay on his skates to save his life, and the other one is a china doll that averages about 50 games a year, and is probably playing hurt for 15 or 20 of those.

Sorry for the rant, I just have a strange sense of deja vu. Maybe because we've had this same problem for over three years, and it would be unrealistically optimistic to expect anything to change before next season.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
chi777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I would have loved to see the reaction on line and in the media had Regier moved Tallinder & Lydman for picks at the deadline last year......
Just because you move someone doesn't mean you won't get anything in return. We could have also took on some salary. We could have packaged up Lydman with Stafford and the 2nd for someone good. We could have even threw in our first and/or some of our prospects. Instead we're losing them for nothing.

I thought Torres would have been better but he turned out to be Bob Corkum bad.

chi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:47 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777 View Post
Just because you move someone doesn't mean you won't get anything in return. We could have also took on some salary. We could have packaged up Lydman with Stafford and the 2nd for someone good. We could have even threw in our first and/or some of our prospects. Instead we're losing them for nothing.
Who on Earth would give up "someone good" in a deal for that package?

Rentals like Lydman & Tallinder would likely fetch either a pick or a younger player who's upside MIGHT reach what Tallinder and Lydman have been somewhere down the road.

If Regier does that, then the peanut gallery is screaming that Regier and the Sabres never go for it and they waved the white flag.

And it's not like Regier had boatloads of budget space to play with.

Ideal state is to jedi mind trick someone like the Flyers did in the Z for Coburn deal. But, there aren't that many suckers running NHL teams.....

Old
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
Quote:
That wasn't only option. He could have signed one to an extension, traded the other, and called up Mike Weber. It would have been easy to get an extension done at that time. I don't think anyone would find fault with that approach.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Afino
The Juice

What if trading one and signing the other split the locker room?

That's the big fear I would have had.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post

That, and you had a struggling Sekera and Butler. No way Weber was going to replace what either of what Lydman/Tallinder brought on defense. As much as I like Weber...he's a bottom pairing D-man at this point in his career.

A lineup of:

Tallinder-Myers
Sekera-Montador
Butler-Rivet
Weber

would have been quite frightening to see.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:02 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
That, and you had a struggling Sekera and Butler. No way Weber was going to replace what either of what Lydman/Tallinder brought on defense. As much as I like Weber...he's a bottom pairing D-man at this point in his career.

A lineup of:

Tallinder-Myers
Sekera-Montador
Butler-Rivet
Weber

would have been quite frightening to see.
The rest makes sense, but how would trading one split the locker room? It's not as if the players themselves take an open vote to see who gets moved out.

Doesn't make any sense at all.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
That wasn't only option. He could have signed one to an extension, traded the other, and called up Mike Weber. It would have been easy to get an extension done at that time. I don't think anyone would find fault with that approach.
I think you still get the "won't go for it" chorus in that scenario as Weber would have been a downgrade over whomever was sent packing.

Old
06-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I think you still get the "won't go for it" chorus in that scenario as Weber would have been a downgrade over whomever was sent packing.
That was the point of my **** or get off the pot thread back at the deadline -- if he's building for NOW then he should have identified which of the two he wanted more and then gotten him signed. Instead... we have a miniature re-enactment of the Briere-Drury departures or the Spacek departure -- key guys leaving with no one ready to take on the full range of the departing players' duties and nothing to show for it but press clippings. He has to figure out that he is either winning now or building for 2/3/4 years out because trying to both isn't working all that well.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
That was the point of my **** or get off the pot thread back at the deadline -- if he's building for NOW then he should have identified which of the two he wanted more and then gotten him signed. Instead... we have a miniature re-enactment of the Briere-Drury departures or the Spacek departure -- key guys leaving with no one ready to take on the full range of the departing players' duties and nothing to show for it but press clippings. He has to figure out that he is either winning now or building for 2/3/4 years out because trying to both isn't working all that well.
Most definitely.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Connolly-Rivet-Montador trio over the next 12 months as well.

Old
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
And that is ultimately what a lot of people find so frustrating about Regier. There is rarely a go-for-it phase, but always an attempt to protect the future, even at the cost of helping the team now.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Most definitely.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Connolly-Rivet-Montador trio over the next 12 months as well.
Did we fans have our miracle for the decade with Myers making it so young? Can we get another and have someone else break through to be a reliable top 4 defenseman in the next two years? No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
And that is ultimately what a lot of people find so frustrating about Regier. There is rarely a go-for-it phase, but always an attempt to protect the future, even at the cost of helping the team now.
He doesn't go for it in either direction. If he's building for down the road, move his tradeable assets, particularly during deadline inflated peaks and stock up on new talent. But he doesn't/hasn't. And if he's going for it... just about everything has to be in play to get better... including moving "his" acquisitions and draftees as well as prospects, picks, and youngsters. But that hasn't happened either.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
He doesn't go for it in either direction. If he's building for down the road, move his tradeable assets, particularly during deadline inflated peaks and stock up on new talent. But he doesn't/hasn't. And if he's going for it... just about everything has to be in play to get better... including moving "his" acquisitions and draftees as well as prospects, picks, and youngsters. But that hasn't happened either.
One question I'd love to know the answer to is whether that is Regier's blueprint or is he following orders from above.

The fact that he shed payroll, yet sort of went for it at the 2009 deadline with Tellqvist & Moore in and Kotalik out makes me wonder what kind of orders he's getting from above.

Old
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
One question I'd love to know the answer to is whether that is Regier's blueprint or is he following orders from above.

The fact that he shed payroll, yet sort of went for it at the 2009 deadline with Tellqvist & Moore in and Kotalik out makes me wonder what kind of orders he's getting from above.
Careful - you're on the verge of being flamed by some for suggesting that Regier is a puppet and that Quinn is calling the shots.

Old
06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
He appears to be optimizing for a good chance at making the playoffs, now and in the future. Slow and steady might not win the race, but as long as he crosses the finish line - I think he (and his bosses) are happy.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post

You should send in a job application to the Sabres because that's been their paranoia ever since the whole policy of not negotiating mid-season was in effect. That was their stated excuse for why they pulled back on extending Drury during the season - they were afraid it would upset Briere and all of the other pending UFAs in 2007.