HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "I want to complain about Regier" Thread (Merged)

Old
06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

vCash: 500
We're gonna get a "puck moving defenseman" even though we need a shut-down guy more. People seem to not realize that Myers IS the puck moving defenseman we need. Just watch the kid rush up the ice with the puck, he's a ****ing bull that will be pretty much unstoppable once he gets more size. Sure having an elite PMD like Kaberle or Lubo would help, but we'd probably end up getting some chump like Corvo. We need a tough shut-down guy much more, a guy like Volchenkov. We're still a pretty weak team on the back-end.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
We're gonna get a "puck moving defenseman" even though we need a shut-down guy more. People seem to not realize that Myers IS the puck moving defenseman we need. Just watch the kid rush up the ice with the puck, he's a ****ing bull that will be pretty much unstoppable once he gets more size. Sure having an elite PMD like Kaberle or Lubo would help, but we'd probably end up getting some chump like Corvo. We need a tough shut-down guy much more, a guy like Volchenkov. We're still a pretty weak team on the back-end.
I think PPQB is more of what we need, but the two terms get a bit mixed up sometimes. Generally they have the same skill sets.

I don't think this team needs defensive help (unless it loses both Hank and Lydman, then you have to fill one of those holes for sure). The reason we got beat in the playoffs was lack of scoring from our top 6 at ES and especially on the PP. Defense wasn't the problem at all.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:22 PM
fightclubber25

i love it when i hear reference to the sum of our success since the lockout.. no **** we had a good team two years in a row. then what happened? management ****ed it up and we had two non playoff teams in a row, now last season happened and im supposed to believe its going to keep happening? - not that it was all that great anyways.

making it to the second round, or even to a game 7 in the first round would get some recognition from me as legit improvement, but when you show up the way we did in the playoffs, it smelled just like the two years we missed the playoffs. heartless half talented ass clowns. im willing to bet if we iced the exact same team we had this past year next year against whatever changes get made around us, we dont come near to the regular season success we had - let alone make it any further in the playoffs - thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.

but to answer the OP's question.. like everyone else said, expect a mike grier added up front, a steve montador in back, and a raffi torres at the deadline. thats the sabres M.O. do you think its enough to get us closer to being a contender?

guessing what will happen is as good as going to hockeybuzz for insight.. revisit this thread in 3 months and youll have your answer.

Last edited by fightclubber25: 06-21-2010 at 03:28 PM.
fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:29 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
i love it when i hear reference to the sum of our success since the lockout.. no **** we had a good team two years in a row. then what happened? management ****ed it up and we had two non playoff teams in a row, now last season happened and im supposed to believe its going to keep happening? - not that it was all that great anyways.

making it to the second round, or even to a game 7 in the first round would get some recognition from me as legit improvement, but when you show up the way we did in the playoffs, it smelled just like the two years we missed the playoffs. heartless half talented ass clowns. im willing to bet if we iced the exact same team we had this past year next year against whatever changes get made around us, we dont come near to the regular season success we had - let alone make it any further in the playoffs - thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.

but to answer the OP's question.. like everyone else said, expect a mike grier added up front, a steve montador in back, and a raffi torres at the deadline. thats the sabres M.O. do you think its enough to get us closer to being a contender?

guessing what will happen is as good as going to hockeybuzz for insight.. revisit this thread in 3 months and youll have your answer.
2 more players with the impact of Grier and Montador? Considering they were 2 of the best players in the playoffs.... yes that gets us closer to being a "contender".

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
2 more players with the impact of Grier and Montador? Considering they were 2 of the best players in the playoffs.... yes that gets us closer to being a "contender".
so lets just make a team of mike grier and steve montador type players. you see a lot of cup winners like that.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:32 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
so lets just make a team of mike grier and steve montador type players. you see a lot of cup winners like that.
Your hyperbole is obnoxious.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:33 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Your hyperbole is obnoxious.
well by my account, you either A think too highly of our current players and dont think the well realized components of a contender (which we dont have) are important for this team to go after.. or B just love arguing for arguments sake. i cant figure it out.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
well by my account, you either A think too highly of our current players and dont think the well realized components of a contender (which we dont have) are important for this team to go after.. or B just love arguing for arguments sake. i cant figure it out.
Let's do a reality check.

You asked me a question.
I gave a reasonable and logical answer.
You responded with hyperbole. Presumably you didn't have a real counter argument.

Now you're presenting a false dilemma.

Cut it out with the ridiculous debate tactics.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Let's do a reality check.

You asked me a question.
I gave a reasonable and logical answer.
You responded with hyperbole. Presumably you didn't have a real counter argument.
mike grier and steve montador being good for the team is irrelevant to anything ive ever said. they were great performers in the playoffs.. ive never once said lets get those bums off the team - think theyre great for the team.. if you werent always just expressing your opposition defiance disorder youd realize that all anyone has been saying is that the sabres need to get rid of our "top line" players who dont play like top line players and get some that do.

if we actually do go out and get another mike grier and another steve montador, do you really think thats going to turn this team around?

Old
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
mike grier and steve montador being good for the team is irrelevant to anything ive ever said. they were great performers in the playoffs.. ive never once said lets get those bums off the team - think theyre great for the team.. if you werent always just expressing your opposition defiance disorder youd realize that all anyone has been saying is that the sabres need to get rid of our "top line" players who dont play like top line players and get some that do.

if we actually do go out and get another mike grier and another steve montador, do you really think thats going to turn this team around?
What do you "mean turn this team around"? They won the division. They are improving.

Am I saying they shouldn't bother trying to improve in the top 6 and special teams? No.

I'm just objecting to the idea that another Grier + Montador off-season wouldn't improve the team at all. I'm not saying I WANT that off-season or that I'd be happy with it. That's a distinction you seemed unable to make.

Old
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
joshjull

To the OP's question. Yes I do.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-21-2010 at 05:17 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I just have a feeling that Regier makes a couple med-big moves this summer, just have a weird hunch that he's gonna get some pressure from Quinn to make a splash/change.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:34 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Every time a thread like this pops up, Lord Stanley sends Cthulhu to kill kittens.

Please, Sabres fans - think of the kittens.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM
slip

Does Regier have a choice?

Tis the summer to make moves.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:17 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Every offseason Regier has done something. And quite frankly, I don't think the Sabres need to make a major move, they just need to make the right move. I think they're closer than what many people think to being a true contender.

Getting Grier last off season wasn't an earth shattering move by any means, but he was the absolute right player to add to the locker room and the team on the ice. They don't need to go out and get the Marian Gaborik's of the world, but if they could pick up a guy like Lombardi or Koivu that could make a big difference. They have enough talent at forward, they just need to figure out how to put that talent in a position to succeed (and that also falls on Ruff).

Sometimes I get the feeling that many folks on here wants Regier to essentially blow the team up and rebuild, but I think that's a bit too extreme.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Sometimes I get the feeling that many folks on here wants Regier to essentially blow the team up and rebuild, but I think that's a bit too extreme.
Here are two off season moves that I'd like, but believe are too big to expect from Regier:

Trading for Kaberle & signing Matt Cullen

Kaberle might fall into the blockbuster category, but getting Cullen shouldn't be.

And I don't even want to start thinking about Regier being able to get a useful player or two off of the Blackhawks.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
I just have a feeling that Regier makes a couple med-big moves this summer, just have a weird hunch that he's gonna get some pressure from Quinn to make a splash/change.
Regier hasn't yet stated that they "won't be going for any home runs," so that is a step in the right direction.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Afino
The Juice

I'd settle for Malhotra if Cullen is "too much" for Regier.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 09:26 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Every offseason Regier has done something. And quite frankly, I don't think the Sabres need to make a major move, they just need to make the right move. I think they're closer than what many people think to being a true contender.

Getting Grier last off season wasn't an earth shattering move by any means, but he was the absolute right player to add to the locker room and the team on the ice. They don't need to go out and get the Marian Gaborik's of the world, but if they could pick up a guy like Lombardi or Koivu that could make a big difference. They have enough talent at forward, they just need to figure out how to put that talent in a position to succeed (and that also falls on Ruff).

I think they had figured it out by the end of the year. Then injuries blew up the combos right before the playoffs.

Hecht/Connolly/Pommer had been effective since mid year. It was a matter of finding a more effective winger for Vanek/Roy. They seemed to have a solution by putting Vanek on RW and Kennedy as the LW. But as soon as this top 6 seemed to find its stride injuries prevented them from staying together in the playoffs.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 11:28 AM
GrierIsGod123

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think they had figured it out by the end of the year. Then injuries blew up the combos right before the playoffs.

Hecht/Connolly/Pommer had been effective since mid year. It was a matter of finding a more effective winger for Vanek/Roy. They seemed to have a solution by putting Vanek on RW and Kennedy as the LW. But as soon as this top 6 seemed to find its stride injuries prevented them from staying together in the playoffs.
Agreed, that top 6 would be great, although I'd probably put Ennis is Kennedy's spot, as I think he has the ability to make both Vanek and Roy even better goal scorers. The kid's got extremely good vision, speed and passing skills...he'd fit very well with two "shooters". I would definitely go into next year with Hecht Connolly Pominville as the "1st line" (if Connolly stays). Yet, if they can't find the same magic, then I wouldn't hesitate to put Hecht on the 3rd and try a guy like Gerbe or Kennedy up with Connolly and Pommers. I think the Sabres now have some semblance of forward depth with some of the younger (albeit smaller) guys showing what they're capable of.

I really think they need to sign or acquire a 2b/3a type Center. I think with a slightly more talented 3rd line center that has the ability for top 6 minutes, we'll be a much harder team to stop offensively. Especially when you consider all of the good, young and talented wingers we have. I know a lot of folks on here really like Gaustad and think he's capable of 3rd line minutes, but I'd rather have the depth to allow him to give us an extremely effective 4th line. Getting a guy like Cullen would give us three strong lines, more options for the PP and the depth in the case of injuries to Roy/Connolly, which would be disastrous when considering Gaustad in the top 6.

When Kennedy started the years at Center and we had a more effective third line, they would often make the difference for us in tight games. In the playoffs, our depth was ravaged and our bottom 6 (and entire lineup) was a jumbled mess IMO.

Ennis Roy Vanek
Hecht Connolly Pominville
Gerbe Cullen Kaleta
Kennedy Gaustad Grier
Kassian/McCormick/Ellis

Myers/Lydman
Kaberle/Montador
Weber/Butler/Sekera/Rivet

With a few small moves, this team can be a true contender IMO. I really don't think they're that far off. The lack of Center depth was a huge problem in the playoffs, whereas Boston's shined through. Give other team's another line to worry about and it'll create match-up issues for sure. I think Ennis, Kennedy and Gerbe's size can be counter-acted by putting them with the right mix of players. Hecht has the ability to move throughout the lineup and be effective, which is invaluable. Getting Kaberle will be tough, but I think the Leafs may take something based around Stafford, a 1st and some sort of decent prospect...it not, go get a guy like JM Liles at a lower cost.

GrierIsGod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Superhero

Sabres = Darcy Regier = small & soft

The Sabres as a team take on the personality of its GM. The Sabres as a whole is small & lacks agressiveness. Darcy Regier is small & he lacks aggressiveness in his job as a GM.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

oh lord

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
OK, so now we have a one-stop shop for people to vent about real or imagined issues with Regier.

Open a new thread on it this summer, expect it to be dumped in here.

06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
This how I sort of see things today:

TBD-Myers
TBD-Montador
Sekera-Rivet
Butler

PP:
TBD (QB)-Myers (Shooter)
TBD (QB)-TBD (Shooter)

PK:
TBD-Montador
TBD-Rivet

It will be interesting to see how they fill things out to get the right mix both 5 on 5 and on STs.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
This how I sort of see things today:

TBD-Myers
TBD-Montador
Sekera-Rivet
Butler

PP:
TBD (QB)-Myers (Shooter)
TBD (QB)-TBD (Shooter)

PK:
TBD-Montador
TBD-Rivet

It will be interesting to see how they fill things out to get the right mix both 5 on 5 and on STs.
Depending on Monty to be a second-pairing defender for an entire season would be negligent. He was very good in the playoffs, but he's still a limited player better suited for a third-pairing. I'd like to see them acquire a righty who can play the second pairing. Getting Girardi from the Rags would be ideal.

EDIT: I know you're saying that's how it stands as of today, and I agree, but I think Regier should address that issue, as well.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote