HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "I want to complain about Regier" Thread (Merged)

Old
06-23-2010, 09:43 AM
HarriSateri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
This how I sort of see things today:

TBD-Myers
TBD-Montador
Sekera-Rivet
Butler

PP:
TBD (QB)-Myers (Shooter)
TBD (QB)-TBD (Shooter)

PK:
TBD-Montador
TBD-Rivet

It will be interesting to see how they fill things out to get the right mix both 5 on 5 and on STs.
You wouldn't put Myers on the PK?

HarriSateri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
This how I sort of see things today:

TBD-Myers
TBD-Montador
Sekera-Rivet
Butler

PP:
TBD (QB)-Myers (Shooter)
TBD (QB)-TBD (Shooter)

PK:
TBD-Montador
TBD-Rivet

It will be interesting to see how they fill things out to get the right mix both 5 on 5 and on STs.
Here's what I would do.

Sign Paul Martin, and don't sign either of Lydman or Tallinder. Sign Martin for enough money to make up for the 5+ mil lost in cap space by losing Lydman and Tallinder. I think overall, those two were pretty solid in every way last year, they did pretty much everything we could ask of them. Tallinder did a great job working with the rookie Myers. But we've had them for quite a long time, and our defense has ever really been taken to the next level. We've always been known as a team with a bit of a weaker defense, but with a great goalie in Miller. So maybe saying goodb ye to the two men who have been a main part of our defensive core since the lockout would do us some good.

We offer Martin a deal similar to Plekanec's. 5-6 years for 5 mil a year. Now we have a legit #2 defenseman. We also have Montador and Rivet for grit on the back-end on our 2nd and 3rd pairings. We give Sekera and Butler one last chance to grow in the big leagues enough to play top 4 minutes. If they conitinue to suck, we trade one of them and bring up Weber. If they both suck really hard then we trade both (or send them to minors or something), and bring up Gragnani too (from what I've seen of him in Portland he looks very NHL ready).

We have a lot of defensemen who are young, on the cusp of being top 4 NHL defensemen, but not quite there yet. Maybe next year at least one of those 4 guys (Weber, Grags, Sekera or Butler) has a breakout season.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So he needs to fill out at least two top-four defensemen, has to decide if he's going to go with Enroth as his backup or bring in an experienced player for that job, and likely wants to change some of his key personnel to get a mentality change in his top 6/top 9, and he could use another quality banger in the bottom 6.

I would expect him to bargain shop again -- look for teams up against the cap or with out of kilter salary structures at a position to make his moves. Chicago obviously has a lot of players they may be shuffling out prior to having to make qualifiers on the 28th -- Ladd and Eager might be available before then. So too the Flyers with Coburn RFA and Carle making bigger money might look to off-load a defensemen for non-roster assets prior to July 1st. Calgary right now is in a similar position -- 8 of their bigger contracts are NTC/NMC and they have Giordano coming up as UFA next year. They might be willing to ship out someone like Sarich on a pick-for-player basis.

06-23-2010, 11:26 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
You wouldn't put Myers on the PK?
I thought about that after I hit SUBMIT

I could see Myers & Montador being the #1 PK unit depending on the TBDs.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Depending on Monty to be a second-pairing defender for an entire season would be negligent. He was very good in the playoffs, but he's still a limited player better suited for a third-pairing. I'd like to see them acquire a righty who can play the second pairing. Getting Girardi from the Rags would be ideal.

EDIT: I know you're saying that's how it stands as of today, and I agree, but I think Regier should address that issue, as well.
But who do you want to count on more as the #2 RHD: Rivet or Montador?

I'm going with Montador.

Old
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I think the way to go is to focus on fixing the D (ideally sign P. Mart and trade for Coburn) and improving the depth at center (Manny Malhotra please), and hope that one of Koivu/Richards/Backes/St. Loius is available at the deadline to make that big change to the forwards.

Honestly, two top four defenseman and a depth center would be a phenomenal offseason.

Additionally, I'm cool with more Griers/Montadors, the issue is that Darcy never makes enough of those type of moves. Last season, he could have rounded out the offseason by picking up Goc/Malhotra/Betts for next to nothing and we would have avoided relying on Gaustad so much.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 04:40 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
anyone following Darcy's Twitter ?

BUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
But who do you want to count on more as the #2 RHD: Rivet or Montador?

I'm going with Montador.
(C) Neither. That's why I want to acquire a better righty (Girardi, for example).

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Darcy Regier should be doing more about the BP oil spill.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:45 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

He's all about the trades. I expect a serviceable 3rd pair dman via trade

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:23 AM
fightclubber25

marleau and pavalski resigned.

the more players that resign, the less likely it becomes the sabres will sign a UFA, because there will always be another team more desperate than ours for talent.

people always say darcy likes to trade rather than sign.. so in some respects i expect them to be right about that this year.. however, when youre signing a UFA money is the bargaining chip.. with trades, youre going to be asked to give away good people - which a gm like darcy has a hard time doing.

so in other words, i wouldnt expect any sort of significant player swap- at least not in regards to significance of talent vs what we could get through UFA. not going to be following the twitters/rumor sites like i have in the past. i waste too much time with that crap for this team.

cant wait til managements first presser where they blow steam up everyones ass about analyzing the changes that need to be made and trying their hardest to improve the team. lulz. should be around this weekend, with the draft and all. i assume some media will inquire about their plans for the summer.

imo, connolly, stafford and pominville will all be back this fall. our replacements will fill the holes left by mair ellis and mayyyyybe one of toni or hank.

where else in the NHL is the majority of a fanbase more anti-management than here in buffalo?

but of course, its a business, and fans dont know **** about that.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
marleau and pavalski resigned.

the more players that resign, the less likely it becomes the sabres will sign a UFA, because there will always be another team more desperate than ours for talent.

people always say darcy likes to trade rather than sign.. so in some respects i expect them to be right about that this year.. however, when youre signing a UFA money is the bargaining chip.. with trades, youre going to be asked to give away people - which a gm like darcy has a hard time doing.

so in other words, i wouldnt expect any sort of significant player swap- at least not in regards to significance of talent vs what we could get through UFA. not going to be following the twitters/rumor sites like i have in the past. i waste too much time with that crap for this team.

cant wait til managements first presser where they blow steam up everyones ass about analyzing the changes that need to be made and trying their hardest to improve the team. lulz. should be around this weekend, with the draft and all. i assume some media will inquire about their plans for the summer.
Regier has always said that the biggest moves he'll make would be via trade and not via UFA.

I believe the Horton & Byfuglien trades will affect what Regier will do more than Marleau re-signing in SJ and Plekanec re-signing with the Habs.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Regier has always said that the biggest moves he'll make would be via trade and not via UFA.

I believe the Horton & Byfuglien trades will affect what Regier will do more than Marleau re-signing in SJ and Plekanec re-signing with the Habs.
i agree, but either way i feel as though the already damaged ship is sinking.

trades are impossible to speculate about because most trades are out of the blue involving players nobody thought were available. however, in darcys case, he deals a lot of picks and players that most teams probably dont want - which is why we get get guys like raffi torres dominic moore and bob ****ing corkum. so i just dont see any of the guys most of us agree need to be somewhere else, going anywhere this summer.

im glad theres finally a thread like this where i can speak freely and vent without the typical kool aid drinkers ganging up. ya know, i wasnt always so anti darcy etc. i was very supportive of them before and coming out of the lockout. ive slowly lost faith. i think the moore trade was the turning point, and last summer was the last straw for me. all i see are the mistakes theyve made, the wrong theyve done to this team and the lack of fixing/making up for them over the last few years. i honestly dont know how the **** people still support this morons.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:55 AM
joshjull

Quote:

trades are impossible to speculate about because most trades are out of the blue involving players nobody thought were available. however, in darcys case, he deals a lot of picks and players that most teams probably dont want - which is why we get get guys like raffi torres dominic moore and bob ****ing corkum. so i just dont see any of the guys most of us agree need to be somewhere else, going anywhere this summer.

im glad theres finally a thread like this where i can speak freely and vent without the typical kool aid drinkers ganging up. ya know, i wasnt always so anti darcy etc. i was very supportive of them before and coming out of the lockout. ive slowly lost faith. i think the moore trade was the turning point, and last summer was the last straw for me. all i see are the mistakes theyve made, the wrong theyve done to this team and the lack of fixing/making up for them over the last few years. i honestly dont know how the **** people still support this morons.

Why?

As we saw in the playoffs this year, a healthy Moore is an effective player. I'm not sure why its Darcy's fault Moore had a broken wrist the majority of his time here.

This past spring/summer he signed two guys that were huge contributors to the teams success (Grier and Monty).

Two summers ago he also traded for our current captain.

He has had back to back good drafts adding players like Myers, Ennis, Kassian, Adam, McNabb and Foligno to the talent pool.

The Torres trade was definately a flop and I agree Regier needs to do more to improve the team.

But he has done a decent job getting the team back on track after losing the co-captains. Something I think was more the fault of ownership and their contract policies at the time.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-24-2010 at 12:15 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:

I look at this team as the defending Northeast Division champs.

The glass half full look at this team is that they only made some minor tweaks last off-season and they went from out of the playoffs to first in the division.

Granted, they won't add an impact prospect ala Myers like they did between 2008-09 & 2009-10. But, they did improve more than most people thought given the lack of moves they made coming off of back to back non-playoff seasons.

I'm in the "resigned to the fact that Regier is unlikely to shake things up as much as I'd like" boat like a lot of people are.

But, the fact that they did improve way more than I expected between 2008-09 & 2009-10 gives me a sliver of hope that they can beat expectations again even if they are quiet this off season.

The biggest question mark to me is around Tallinder & Lydman and will they be able to improve the defense corps this off season?

Last edited by WhoIsJimBob: 06-24-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old
06-24-2010, 11:58 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Darcy Regier should be doing more about the BP oil spill.
Maybe Quinn will start selling commemorative chocolate pelicans*? 5% of all proceeds go to charity.

* "chocolate pelicans" shamelessly stolen from Conan

Old
06-24-2010, 12:57 PM
ClearTheTrack

try Boston, where I live. It's been that way for decades - they've been accusing Bruins' management of being skinflints since at least 1990. Without looking at the facts, I might add. Facts are such pesky things though - it's more fun to be emotional, I suppose.

Quote:
where else in the NHL is the majority of a fanbase more anti-management than here in buffalo?
fans are generally idiots, in every port. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes that fans either do not think about or even conceive of, but it's a lot easier to mock the front office with monikers like "Creamsicle" etc. and think that nothing is being done or even tried.

What tends to bother me is this general trend towards blaming management for a team's failure to win a title rather than the players themselves. Obviously logic dictates that it is a non-stop fluctuating combination of both but the pendulum has drastically swung towards anti-management.

In Buffalo's case, the Torres deal was widely considered the best deadline acquisition. Not just Sabres' fans but NHL fans knew that if Buffalo needed anything it was some up-front grit, and Torres was the best available fit at the deadline - and Buffalo got him. I have a friend who is a diehard Bruins' fan - who fits under the aforementioned category of front-office-hater - who texted me the minute that deal was announced saying something to the effect of "see? Buffalo is going for it, and the Bruins just sit around and do nothing year after year"

Funny isn't it how if you replace "Bruins" with "Sabres" how much you see that on Sabres' threads? And on ~27-28 other teams as well.

But of course things happen that you can't foresee: Torres has a terrible final few weeks, whether due to injury or worse, ends up getting benched. Combine that with poorly timed injuries to Vanek and Hecht and the Sabres are out in 6 games and the (at least vocal) party line is that "the Sabres aren't committed to winning."

Then you look at the Bruins, who get healthy and stable for the first time all season, face the Sabres in the first round, and lo and behold - they win 7 of their first 9 postseason games (then thankfully - for me - history happens).

Is it Regier's fault that Torres didn't produce? Is it his fault that Lindy Ruff rarely if ever gave Torres a stable line to play on, putting him anywhere from 1st to 4th line minutes, and arguably never letting him get comfortable in his new role...whatever the hell that was supposed to be?

As a previous poster put it, was it Regier's fault Moore was injured? That one is theoretically possible - I'll make no effort to determine whether that information was possible to obtain before the deadline last year. But absent that, getting Moore was a good (and low-cost) move.

People forget how many "big name" moves are simply disastrous. Yeah, it would be fun to say your team got That Awesome #1 Center but of course a) it will cost a lot of money b) it will require plenty of years to commit and most importantly c) it will occupy a very large cap %age.

Also just because a trade wasn't consummated (e.g. Sabres didn't get Horton, or Byfuglien) doesn't mean an effort wasn't made.

ClearTheTrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
fightclubber25

imo, boston has done a lot more to improve the quality of personnel on their team than the sabres have recently, in the past, and probably all-time. im sure people in boston ***** and moan too, but when you look at the transaction history and the quality of players moving in and out of each organization.. one team has clearly been more motivated and active.

if theres people out there who want to look at this past season as something to be hopeful about, i cant say i blame you.. thats fine. i just dont see it that way. i personally dont like the chemistry, the compete, or the finishing ability of this team on the ice. i think it has to do with the players they have and the roles that they are given. if no changes are made to change up the chemistry and compete level of this team, my opinion wont change either.

who on the team are you going to count on for that clutch goal when you need it? whos going out to win that important faceoff? who is your no nonsense shut down defenseman? whos the pp quarterback? imo, those are things this team is going to need if it wants a shot at going any further than it did this year in the playoffs.

Old
06-24-2010, 04:22 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
who on the team are you going to count on for that clutch goal when you need it? whos going out to win that important faceoff? who is your no nonsense shut down defenseman? whos the pp quarterback? imo, those are things this team is going to need if it wants a shot at going any further than it did this year in the playoffs.
I can see how the Sabres think that they have 2 out of the 4 slots filled (Vanek & Gaustad).

And Regier has admitted on the record that he knows they need PP QB.

I just hope the answers to the last two questions aren't Weber & Gragnani....

Old
06-24-2010, 04:59 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearTheTrack View Post
Funny isn't it how if you replace "Bruins" with "Sabres" how much you see that on Sabres' threads? And on ~27-28 other teams as well.
I've noticed the same thing lurking around other teams boards, and it always amuses me - even teams that are successful, and generally considered well-run. It doesn't really change my opinion of Quigier, but it certainly doesn't hurt to keep things in perspective.

As far as your other points - Darcy, as GM, hires and fires the coaches. He drafts, trades, and signs the players, and he's ultimately responsible for the results on the ice and the makeup of his roster. Whether he is or isn't given the tools he needs to that job properly is something we can't know, and really doesn't change much, as far as I'm concerned. He's either doing his job or he's not. It's impossible to know all the reasons, from our perspective as fans.

For me, it all comes down to this. One of the biggest clutterbucks in the history of professional sports happened on his watch. He turned a contender into a bubble team in a matter of hours, and we're still, 3 full seasons later, dealing with the consequences of that incompetence. This isn't a kids t-ball league, you shouldn't get a decade+ to learn on the job. You screw up that badly, you're out.

Which begs the question - how does getting rid of Darcy fix the problem with Quinn and his absentee landlord of a boss? It doesn't, not really. So, to an extent, even that won't get us where we need to be.

Old
06-24-2010, 05:02 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
imo, boston has done a lot more to improve the quality of personnel on their team than the sabres have recently, in the past, and probably all-time. im sure people in boston ***** and moan too, but when you look at the transaction history and the quality of players moving in and out of each organization.. one team has clearly been more motivated and active.
This makes me wonder if there's a way to measure how "active" a GM is? I think dollars in and dollars out in trade activity per season would probably be a good start. Wonder if anyone has those numbers?

Old
06-24-2010, 07:13 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I've noticed the same thing lurking around other teams boards, and it always amuses me - even teams that are successful, and generally considered well-run. It doesn't really change my opinion of Quigier, but it certainly doesn't hurt to keep things in perspective.

As far as your other points - Darcy, as GM, hires and fires the coaches. He drafts, trades, and signs the players, and he's ultimately responsible for the results on the ice and the makeup of his roster. Whether he is or isn't given the tools he needs to that job properly is something we can't know, and really doesn't change much, as far as I'm concerned. He's either doing his job or he's not. It's impossible to know all the reasons, from our perspective as fans.

For me, it all comes down to this. One of the biggest clutterbucks in the history of professional sports happened on his watch. He turned a contender into a bubble team in a matter of hours, and we're still, 3 full seasons later, dealing with the consequences of that incompetence. This isn't a kids t-ball league, you shouldn't get a decade+ to learn on the job. You screw up that badly, you're out.

Which begs the question - how does getting rid of Darcy fix the problem with Quinn and his absentee landlord of a boss? It doesn't, not really. So, to an extent, even that won't get us where we need to be.
Heck, he did it twice and got away with it.

He is the only GM in the NHL that has zero respect for captains also, in fact he would rather not have a captain.

SabresAreScaryGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 08:43 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Heck, he did it twice and got away with it.

He is the only GM in the NHL that has zero respect for captains also, in fact he would rather not have a captain.
this, plus his analysis of talent/cost is downright ********. for the salaries hecht, gaustad, pommer, connolly and rivet are making.. if you look around the league at some players who make those salaries or less.. we are absolutely paying too much for too little in terms of a players - overall impact on a teams success - connolly and pommer seeeeem to produce, but when you look at the stretches of invisibility between their streaks of production.. theyre just not worth the money (ive been a huge connolly supporter in the past, but at this point hes nothing more than a bargaining chip to me)

now before i get ripped apart - i like what hecht does (most seasons/games) and i like how rivet is tough as nails.. but imo you dont need to let the guys who they let walk go, so that you can overpay for these "role" players when it seems like so many other successful teams in the league have found cheaper ways to fill those roles.

any way i look at it, i just disagree with how this team is managed. no im not a better gm/coach etc., but im sure there are better gms/coaches/etc. out there whod be willing to give it a try.

Last edited by fightclubber25: 06-24-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old
06-24-2010, 10:43 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
this, plus his analysis of talent/cost is downright ********. for the salaries hecht, gaustad, pommer, connolly and rivet are making.. if you look around the league at some players who make those salaries or less.. we are absolutely paying too much for too little in terms of a players - overall impact on a teams success - connolly and pommer seeeeem to produce, but when you look at the stretches of invisibility between their streaks of production.. theyre just not worth the money (ive been a huge connolly supporter in the past, but at this point hes nothing more than a bargaining chip to me)

now before i get ripped apart - i like what hecht does (most seasons/games) and i like how rivet is tough as nails.. but imo you dont need to let the guys who they let walk go, so that you can overpay for these "role" players when it seems like so many other successful teams in the league have found cheaper ways to fill those roles.

any way i look at it, i just disagree with how this team is managed. no im not a better gm/coach etc., but im sure there are better gms/coaches/etc. out there whod be willing to give it a try.
The Sabres have been a pretty deep team IMO because of how Darcy molds a hockey team, but we have been weak in terms of top 1st line talent.

I mean yeah we can roll 3-4 lines which is great, but who can we depend on? No one really. Its always been that way, minus the 2 years Briere and Drury were here, and even those guys were considered 2nd and 3rd line players before we got them.

A bunch of 2nd and 3rd line players is the type of team Darcy likes, and It works to a certain point.

SabresAreScaryGood is online now   Reply With Quote