HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
For Robben, he will play as good as he did in Muenchen.
He's injury prone, but when he's not busy with the nurses, he's really a threat.

Sneijder and Van der Vaart are there too, Van der Sar is retired from NT, leaving Stekelenburg as the goalie.
You could check the 32 squads on FIFA.com

Abidal is a starter for Barcelona. But he was often injured this year.
The same goes for Gignac, overrused because Toulouse totally relied on him. Its a very defensive minded team, and he went also through injuries.
He's probably not a starter, but as a sub, he could play well, if correctly used.

(If you think Valencia is a low ranked team, watch a little bit of spanish soccer, you will edit your post later.)

But i must agree with you on the fact that people doesnt seem to understand that the golden era is over. We dont have any top player in our team. We're just a good solid european team, but nothing more.
The only players above the pack are Lloris, Toulalan and Ribéry (Evra could be mentioned too), but they're probably not even in the Top5 worldwide.

For the "golden generation of 87", they saw themselves too big (and massively overhyped by the medias), yes, and doesnt have yet the team spirit.
They will be eventually starters (for Nasri and Benzema) anyway, they just need to mature.
Was it a surprise over there in France about Nasri, Ben Arfa and Benzema not picked by Domenech? A friends claim that Domenech didn't chose them because they didn't get along well with some veteran in the french squad. True? Damn if only Henry was handless

GO IRELAND GO

Old
05-28-2010, 04:26 AM
Rutabaga

More like an half-surprise.
Benzema was stupid to move to Madrid only 12 months before a WC, whereas he wasnt even in the starting lineup with the NT.
Nasri, it is more surprising, but he's like in a grey zone.
An offensive midfielder who doesnt "produce" and is not enough reliable defensively, thats tough to find him a good spot.
Ben Arfa is less mature than a 16 years old teenager, and doesnt have a starting spot in his club.

And, yes, they didnt get along very well with other players. And it seems that its not just veterans, but more like half of the team.
They need to mature, simply.

About the handpass, thats the life. Could be unfair.
Italy won over Australia with an awful dive from Grosso, Schumacher tried to kill Battiston, the Argentine received help from Peru...that is history...glorious moments, and some others...

Old
05-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
More like an half-surprise.
Benzema was stupid to move to Madrid only 12 months before a WC, whereas he wasnt even in the starting lineup with the NT.
Nasri, it is more surprising, but he's like in a grey zone.
An offensive midfielder who doesnt "produce" and is not enough reliable defensively, thats tough to find him a good spot.
Ben Arfa is less mature than a 16 years old teenager, and doesnt have a starting spot in his club.

And, yes, they didnt get along very well with other players. And it seems that its not just veterans, but more like half of the team.
They need to mature, simply.

About the handpass, thats the life. Could be unfair.
Italy won over Australia with an awful dive from Grosso, Schumacher tried to kill Battiston, the Argentine received help from Peru...that is history...glorious moments, and some others...
Yeah for sure, but i can sure you that here in Ireland we will take about it for a decade, enjoyin a beer and spittin our hate on that damn french !

Old
05-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Also, I really hate when people think it's only Portugal and Italy that dives. Spaniards dive, Frenchmen dive(Malouda's an expert), Brazilians too, etc...
you're a liar,I watch soccer every 4 years and they are the only countries to do so

Old
05-28-2010, 08:24 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
interesting observation about Giovinco and diego. There's rumors of diego leaving, but if he remains i will focus more on that. I wouldn't care if diego left since I'm not a true Juventus fan but rather they had my favorite player nedved and now diego. So I cheer for them, which is weird because soccer is the only sport I am a fan of a player before a team. Just never really got attached to a team I guess.

lol at saying those guys won't cut it for 2010. I'm always scared to say they need to move away from Iaquinta tretezguet and del piero. People just start get way to defensive about those guys. I agree, there d is as bad as I have ever seen it especially in a league that is defensive minded but there mid-field doesn't support the d as well as they use to either.

Who do you think would be good additions to the d in the off season? If Diego is moved, that would create some more money maybe for another defender. Like you mention, Giovinco and diego being so similar in style maybe they can move diego. there is alot of interest in the guy.
I'm convinced that both Diego and Giovinco will be gone shortly. I think Del Neri is going to go with Pazzini an hopefully, Aguero, up front.

Giovinco will be used as trade bait with either Sampdoria or Genoa, possibly Lazio (for Kolarov).

Old
05-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I'm convinced that both Diego and Giovinco will be gone shortly. I think Del Neri is going to go with Pazzini an hopefully, Aguero, up front.

Giovinco will be used as trade bait with either Sampdoria or Genoa, possibly Lazio (for Kolarov).
Good I hope they move him,kid could really play and I hope he goes to a team were he will be a starter on a regular basis

Old
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

13 days, fellas

Old
05-28-2010, 09:44 AM
couris

Quote:

Hopefully Aguero will end up at Chelsea, like he wanted.

Old
05-28-2010, 09:45 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Good I hope they move him,kid could really play and I hope he goes to a team were he will be a starter on a regular basis
Absolutely. He's a wasted talent at Juve, unfortunately.

I think Genoa would be a good spot for him...

Old
05-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
interesting observation about Giovinco and diego. There's rumors of diego leaving, but if he remains i will focus more on that. I wouldn't care if diego left since I'm not a true Juventus fan but rather they had my favorite player nedved and now diego. So I cheer for them, which is weird because soccer is the only sport I am a fan of a player before a team. Just never really got attached to a team I guess.

lol at saying those guys won't cut it for 2010. I'm always scared to say they need to move away from Iaquinta tretezguet and del piero. People just start get way to defensive about those guys. I agree, there d is as bad as I have ever seen it especially in a league that is defensive minded but there mid-field doesn't support the d as well as they use to either.

Who do you think would be good additions to the d in the off season? If Diego is moved, that would create some more money maybe for another defender. Like you mention, Giovinco and diego being so similar in style maybe they can move diego. there is alot of interest in the guy.
#1 on Juventus radar should be Naldo from Werder Bremen, a centre-back with great size, strength and mobility who can also be a threat from set-pieces. He can play across the back line as well, i'm surprised Brazil haven't given him more of a look. He's a great talent.

- David Luiz, another Brazillian centre-back, is a GREAT prospect as well. Plays for Portugal champions SL Benfica, he can also play across the back line and is already vice-captain of Benfica at 22yrs old. I rate him as highly as I do Naldo but place Naldo because he's got more experience. David Luiz is on the radar of ALL the major clubs this summer.

- Domenico Criscito, a Juve product actually...a left footed full back who can also play in the centre. I read rumours of Juven bringing him back from Genoa though. They could definitely use his pace.

- Etienne Capoue, plays for Toulouse in Ligue 1...can play several positions across the back as well as CDM.

- Andre Rannocchia, plays for Bari is another player I like

As for them moving Diego...I hope they're more patient with him. I understand their new coach favors the 4-4-2 which really isn't a fit for Diego who plays more of a attacking midfield role in a 4-3-1-2. But he really is a world class talent, they just need to surround him better.

Quote:

I'd be shocked if Aguero doesn't end up with my boys Chelsea! But if he doesn't, he's definitely not going to Juventus where they didn't even qualify for CL next year. He's not going to leave Athletico Madrid for Juventus when Juventus is not playing for any major European tournaments next year.

It'll be interesting to see what Del Neri does because the formation he uses doesn't suit either Diego or Giovinco (unless either of them re-invents himself as a second striker) which IMO, is a shame because they're both quality players.

Old
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'd be shocked if Aguero doesn't end up with my boys Chelsea! But if he doesn't, he's definitely not going to Juventus where they didn't even qualify for CL next year. He's not going to leave Athletico Madrid for Juventus when Juventus is not playing for any major European tournaments next year.

It'll be interesting to see what Del Neri does because the formation he uses doesn't suit either Diego or Giovinco (unless either of them re-invents himself as a second striker) which IMO, is a shame because they're both quality players.
Why play for Atletico when you can play for Juventus? For one year of Champions League play? I don't think so. Juve are a prestigious team - unless you've forgotten.

Old
05-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Why play for Atletico when you can play for Juventus? For one year of Champions League play? I don't think so. Juve are a prestigious team - unless you've forgotten.
But with teams like Chelsea, Man U, Real Madrid all keen to sign Aguero, why would he go play for Juventus next year?

I'm not saying Juventus is not a prestigous club...i'm just saying it will be difficult for them to attract big names like Aguero because the allure of playing in big games will be too big for him to ignore.

As a fan of Juventus in Serie A, there's nothign more i'd like to see than Aguero in Turin...but given how the year just went, it's a pipe dream at best.

Old
05-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
But with teams like Chelsea, Man U, Real Madrid all keen to sign Aguero, why would he go play for Juventus next year?

I'm not saying Juventus is not a prestigous club...i'm just saying it will be difficult for them to attract big names like Aguero because the allure of playing in big games will be too big for him to ignore.

As a fan of Juventus in Serie A, there's nothign more i'd like to see than Aguero in Turin...but given how the year just went, it's a pipe dream at best.
I agree,If any of those 3 teams come knocking I doubt he will select Juve over those clubs,unless he wouldn't be a starter which I doubt

Old
05-28-2010, 10:34 AM
gusfring

Quote:

The papers in Italy are all over it, BTW. It's not a pipe dream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prima_1.jpg‎ (47.3 KB, 11 views)

Old
05-28-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The papers in Italy are all over it, BTW. It's not a pipe dream.
That's great...the papers in London were all over it too. Doesn't really mean anything.

Maybe if Juvenus had qualified for Champions League, I'd think they'd have as good a shot as anyone to sign Aguero, however, there's too much uncertainty in Juventus next year IMO.

Again...I will be really shocked if Aguero doesn't sign with Chelsea or another big club that has domestic AND European aspirations, which Juventus do not.

One thing Juventus can promise Aguero, is a starting role though...so maybe that is motivation enough for him.

Either way...I think shoring up the back 4 is more important for Juventus than acquiring a player like Aguero.

Its going to cost a fortune to acquire Aguero...I'd rather they spent it on at least 1 CB and 2 LB/RB's. If they really want a striker, i'd look at a cheaper option such as Hulk (awesome name btw) from Porto or even Lisandro from Lyon

Last edited by 417: 05-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old
05-28-2010, 08:57 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Old
05-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

So many France haters... I love it.

Old
05-28-2010, 10:36 PM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
So many France haters... I love it.
I love France! Marseille is my favorite club team in fact! But it is the truth that Domenech is a clown!

Old
05-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
Algeria-Ireland 0-3 ouch ouch !

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nation...0,131583.story

Old
05-29-2010, 07:00 AM
noiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Ireland deserved the win big time. They played a solid overall game.
The Algerian team seemed lost on the field, probably due to the fact that 7 players played for their first time for us. Nevertheless, this should help the guys refocus and make some adjustments for the WC.

You gotta feel for Ireland though, the way they missed the WC is just too bad...

Old
05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiro View Post
Ireland deserved the win big time. They played a solid overall game.
The Algerian team seemed lost on the field, probably due to the fact that 7 players played for their first time for us. Nevertheless, this should help the guys refocus and make some adjustments for the WC.

You gotta feel for Ireland though, the way they missed the WC is just too bad...
You bet man , did you see the game?

Old
05-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Also, England is looking good

Rooney
Gerrard
J.Cole-Lampard-Lennon
Barry
A.Cole-Terry-Ferdinand-Johnson

If Gerrard and Rooney can create the same magic of the duo Gerrard-Torres, watch out
Sadly, Joe Cole may not be guaranteed to go to the world cup, which I think could be a mistake. He won't even start the last warm up match, but will be on the bench. Capello has said he knows 20 of the 23 players he is taking so his lineup for tomorrow suggests his mind is mostly made up one way or other about J.Cole.

Old
05-29-2010, 03:46 PM
noiro

Quote:
You bet man , did you see the game?
Nah, I was at work that day and was too stressed to look at the result of any game. It was November 18th 2009 and we were playing our decisive game against Egypt to qualify for the WC. So Ireland and France were not a high priority if you know what I mean

Old
05-29-2010, 03:49 PM
habsman56
Habs&Hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiro View Post
Nah, I was at work that day and was too stressed to look at the result of any game. It was November 18th 2009 and we were playing our decisive game against Egypt to qualify for the WC. So Ireland and France were not a high priority if you know what I mean
I remember being home that day, and I was cheering for Ireland, due to one of my favourite players having played for them. I honestly couldn't believe that counted.. felt so bad for Ireland.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
I am not worried

We missed 4 key starters, and Ireland was playing at full strength.
Plus, the coach was experiomenting with some newbies

Plus, Ireland is not that bad, they are going to the WC
Oh, scratch that, that would be france

Closed Thread