HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Sign Parse (2 Years, $900k per year)

Old
05-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Great signing.........

tone of the best 3rdd lines in NHL

Parse - Handzus - Simmonds.

Richardson next pls

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Johnny Utah

I don't see Parse being a regular unless someone is traded or he is a 4th liner playing alongside Lewis/Cliche and either Westgarth/Clune/Clifford.

Like others have said, our top 9 is set and that is without adding a UFA. Then you add Parse as one of the potential 4th liners...that leaves 2 regular spots for Lewis, Cliche, Westgarth, Clune, and Clifford. Westy could be the 13th forward but we need a 4th line center and a left winger still...So thats a battle with Lewis/Cliche at center and Clune/Clifford on the left wing. Westgarth is a RW and could rotate with Parse or switch to the left side.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
no name

Solid money but I'm afraid Richardson is going to ask for two now.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

My ideal 4th line is Clifford-Richardson-Parse with Westgarth and Clune as the extras for when we need that shot of adrenaline from Clune or fear from Westy.

If Clifford needs more seasoning, then Parse-Richardson-Cliche.

Either way, those are two 4th lines you can play 10 minutes a night.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:57 PM
SFKingshomer

Kinda overpaid for what he brings. Hope he makes me eat crow.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Solid money but I'm afraid Richardson is going to ask for two now.
Pretty much.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Parse will be a regular. He will either be 3rd/4th line LW.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:08 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Now to Richardson!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Holy high over payment batman!

900$k, REALLY?

I mean I like Parse and thought that he was starting to show promise towards the end of the season but $9freakinghundredK's worth?

WoW!

I could have seen resigning him in the $6 to 700k range but wow, he got a nice payday for what he has brought to the table so far.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:23 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Are some of you blind? Honest question.

I fear that some on this board watch the games and then wait to read what Hammond has to say about what they just watched, or TM, DL etc..., and that is what they believe as gospel.

I like Brad Richardson. He's a nice player with ONE good season. Now do me a favor and go compare stats between Richardson and Parse. I take it you are sufficiently blown away.

Parse has way more offensive upside than Richardson...actually, he is just plain better offensively regardless of upside. Richardson has more intangibles, namely speed and hustle, but not 1.1 million dollars worth.

Parse got dicked around last year. Spin it all you want but this is a guy that Murray didn't even dress for one pre-season game. He made Murray look foolish is all you can say about that. Every player stuck on the 4th line this past season pretty much sucked because there were never 3 legit NHL players on it. When Parse was with Simmonds/Richardson or Handzus/Simmonds, he was awesome. Hell, I would put him out on the power play and see what happens.

He put up unreal numbers in college and it wasn't a fluke. Kid is a player and if you can't see that then I have to seriously question your hockey acumen.

BigKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

great deal

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

11 goals, 13 assists, 24 points, one season (69 games) and 26 years old.

11 goals, 16 assists, 27 points, first 81 game season (parts of 4 seasons) and 25 years old.

Their point totals are largely similar.

One is 7 months older than the other.

One is more of a scoring threat than the other.

One has a much better two way game than the other.

Both of them have had ONE nice season and I am not "blown away" by either of them.

I like them, they are both "nice" players at this point but to say one has some sort of upside over the other is making an assumption as it is too early to tell and they both have different skillsets.

Like I said, I like them both but to say that if someone doesn't see Parse as a "player" after one year means that you doubt their hockey acumen then all I can say is doubt away. Your opinion really wouldn't seem to matter after that sort of a statement.

Old
05-26-2010, 08:58 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

11 goals, 16 assists, 27 points, first 81 game season (parts of 4 seasons) and 25 years old.

One is 7 months older than the other.

One is more of a scoring threat than the other.

One has a much better two way game than the other.

Both of them have had ONE nice season and I am not "blown away" by either of them.

I like them, they are both "nice" players at this point but to say one has some sort of upside over the other is making an assumption as it is too early to tell and they both have different skillsets.

Like I said, I like them both but to say that if someone doesn't see Parse as a "player" after one year means that you doubt their hockey acumen then all I can say is doubt away. Your opinion really wouldn't seem to matter after that sort of a statement.
Wrong.

One has a much better offensive game while one has a much better defensive game. I would not say that Richardson has a much better "two-way" game just because he is better at defense. He is simply better at defense.

I didn't say you would be blown away by the respective players, but rather the fact that their stats are very similar, except for Richardson playing 20+ more games while averaging more minutes and playing on the 1st line for several of those games as well.

Then there is Parse's +/- of 13. Not too shabby for someone who is supposedly strictly offense.

The point of my post is that Richardson is not worth 1.1 million more than Parse so nobody should be worried about that. The other point is that Parse has a lot of skill, something that is somewhat lacking in the current group of forwards but he "needs to be more consistent" because he took a couple lazy hooking penalties, as if Richardson hasn't had his share of stupid penalties, i.e. Dr. Hook night when he couldn't keep his stick down.

Yes, I do have to question your hockey acumen if you can't see that Parse is a player. He has all the makings of a classic ex-King who goes on to pot 20+ goals for several seasons. I'm actually shocked that he chose to sign here but I think they've told him he has the inside track to a spot. This isn't just after one year of following Parse either. Maybe the first year of watching his every game, but he has been tracked for years now in the annual prospect thread so his previous exploits are not unknown around these parts.

What are we looking like at LW next season with Frolov out the door?

UFA/Trade
Smyth
Parse
Clifford

That's how I see it. As long as that 1st line LW is taken care of, things are looking real good for a 3rd line of Parse/Zeus/Simmonds. Points will be scored and cycles will be made my friend.

Old
05-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Wrong.

One has a much better offensive game while one has a much better defensive game. I would not say that Richardson has a much better "two-way" game just because he is better at defense. He is simply better at defense.

I didn't say you would be blown away by the respective players, but rather the fact that their stats are very similar, except for Richardson playing 20+ more games while averaging more minutes and playing on the 1st line for several of those games as well.

Then there is Parse's +/- of 13. Not too shabby for someone who is supposedly strictly offense.

The point of my post is that Richardson is not worth 1.1 million more than Parse so nobody should be worried about that. The other point is that Parse has a lot of skill, something that is somewhat lacking in the current group of forwards but he "needs to be more consistent" because he took a couple lazy hooking penalties, as if Richardson hasn't had his share of stupid penalties, i.e. Dr. Hook night when he couldn't keep his stick down.

Yes, I do have to question your hockey acumen if you can't see that Parse is a player. He has all the makings of a classic ex-King who goes on to pot 20+ goals for several seasons. I'm actually shocked that he chose to sign here but I think they've told him he has the inside track to a spot. This isn't just after one year of following Parse either. Maybe the first year of watching his every game, but he has been tracked for years now in the annual prospect thread so his previous exploits are not unknown around these parts.

What are we looking like at LW next season with Frolov out the door?

UFA/Trade
Smyth
Parse
Clifford

That's how I see it. As long as that 1st line LW is taken care of, things are looking real good for a 3rd line of Parse/Zeus/Simmonds. Points will be scored and cycles will be made my friend.
I totally agree with you. I think Parse just took Frolov's spot in the lineup. He'll probably get a chance to play on the top 6 next season.

You people whining about him making $900k are ridiculous. Seriously, it is $900k of CAP space. Isn't the minimum ~$500k? I mean really what is $400k of CAP space? The upside is MORE than worth it.

This is a win/win for the Kings. He provide CAP relief over Frolov with potential to pot 20+ goals as early as next year. He is also a nice asset to dangle in a trade.

EDIT: He'll also be a great insurance policy for when Modin is re-signed and hurt within the first 20 games of the season.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

Just a note but Parse played 59 games.

05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Help me out here, so when you said "I like Brad Richardson. He's a nice player with ONE good season. Now do me a favor and go compare stats between Richardson and Parse. I take it you are sufficiently blown away".

You meant that because Richardson played in 20 more games than Parse that I should be "blown away" by the similarity in their stats? Hasn't Parse also had the same "ONE good season"? Is this what should have blown me away?

Didn't you say that Richardson "has more intangibles, namely speed and hustle" than Parse? Didn't you also say that Parse is "just plain better offensively regardless of upside"?

Then why would one set of stats blow me away and how am I wrong for saying "I like them, they are both "nice" players at this point but to say one has some sort of upside over the other is making an assumption as it is too early to tell and they both have different skill sets"?

By your own words, didn't we both just agree with each other?

And when I responded with the fact that neither set of stats had "blown me away" is that what makes me wrong?

I mean, maybe I have the bar set too high but in order for an over aged rookie to blow me away he has to be exceptional in at least one area of his game and neither of these two are what I would call exceptional at any part of their collective and separate games.

When you said "The point of my post is that Richardson is not worth 1.1 million more than Parse so nobody should be worried about that" and all that I have said about salaries is that I don't think that Parse is worth $900k per season yet (I also said that he should get in the $6-700k range) and have said nothing about what I think Richardson should make, is that what makes me "wrong"?

Is there someplace where I questioned SP's skill set?

If so then your comment about him (sp) having "allot of skill" might make some sense but since I haven't questioned it, I can't see how that makes me wrong.

I can see where you take issue at my stating that Richardson plays a better two way game than Parse and I can accept that, if you want to define it as his having a better defencive game than Parse, its quibbling but a fair definition. Though if we go by the stats in way your contradicting yourself, I thought that was kind of funny.

Maybe I should have said that after watching both of them play all season I think that Richardson has a better transition game and is more responsible in his own end consistently than Parse. That is a more accurate assessment in my opinion of the gap between the two in those regards.

I would also assess Parse as being more of an offencive threat than Richardson but since you had asked us to go look at the stats I was only pointing out that they had really similar seasons, statistically speaking.

Sorry but here is another place where by your own definition I am also not "wrong" and that is in rather or not I view SP as a player. See, I do see him as an NHL caliber player but I see him as one who has YET to prove himself.

When I said that "I like them, they are both nice players" I guess I should have been more definitive. I should have said "I like them, they are both nice NHL caliber players" to avoid any confusion. Though I thought that was implied.

We all watch the same team and all see the game and its players differently.

To my way of thinking, Parse and Richardson are both good players who bring different things to the table but neither of them deserve to be given a significant increase in salary as of yet.

Richardson has proven that he is starting to make the next step in his game but he still needs to prove to me that this past season wasn't a fluke and that he deserves a longer term deal.

Like it or not it was a contract year and some players step up their game right before them and then fall down right after.

I also think that SP got handled poorly by TM but I have a thing about TM that I am no mood to revisit right now and that Parse has at least proven himself as a potentially solid forward but he also has to prove himself over the next season or two in order to make me think that he is a lock to be an impact player in the league.

Over the years I have seen too many one year wonders (some of who showed significantly more talent than either SP or BR at the time) who just never seemed to repeat their rookie successes. I need to see a couple of seasons before I can accept a player as having the ability to become a true impact player.

As for salaries I would have given Richardson the $900k (based on his time and improvement) and offered Parse something in the $6-700k range but only as two way contracts.

I like the two season part of the deal, let them each earn extensions or move along as we are glutted with like talented depth in the minors.

Also of they didn't like the deals then we have several options to fill their slots.

Here is another question that I have, am I wrong for your statement of where we are at on LW next year even though I said nothing about it?

Or are you implying that I in some way said that Parse shouldn't be on the team next year because if you are, then you would be very wrong.

I agree that we are hosed as of now on LW and have to believe that DL is going to sign some ufa LW or make a deal for one because we can't start next year with that big of a hole on our top six.

So as far as the whole thing goes you and I seem to agree on most all of this, maybe you made some presumptions on what I thought of Parse or his value and I could have defined what I meant by two way player better but I don't see where I actually said anything that is in disagreement with you.

You can say I am wrong all over again and it still won't really matter as it is merely an opinion, just like mine but I don't see where we are so far apart as for one to be viewed as right or wrong by the other on this one.

You might value Parse somewhat more than I do as of this past season but we agree that he has a solid skill set.

Last edited by Tonellisghost: 05-26-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old
05-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Just a note but Parse played 59 games.
Yep, I was going by my own notes but when i went to an nhl site they have him at 59. I must have had him in during a game that he sat for.

Old
05-27-2010, 12:32 AM
VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASKING
TG, what I think he meant by blown away was how much more hype the fans give Richardson while they put up almost the same point totals with Parse playing in significantly less games and with lesser linemates. I was actually very surprised to see Richardson's name directly above Parse's while looking at the Kings stats page on espn the other night. I would have guessed their point totals would have been much further apart.

VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:39 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

That is a lot of words you just put down TG. I think I can simplify things a bit...

You took my initial post and ran with it as if I were speaking directly to and about you and your opinion of Parse. Some are worried Richardson will ask for $2mm now and then there are those that think $900k is over payment.

The "blown away" comment is in regards to their respective numbers since I thought it would shock some around here that Parse put up as many goals since it's become obvious to me that many have forgotten that both Richardson and Stoll fell off the face of the earth as far as goal scoring goes last season. Parse put up similar offensive numbers while playing a whole quarter-of-a-season less than Richardson while also not receiving the same opportunities as far as linemates, i.e. Kopitar. Richardson also averaged more minutes a game than Parse did over his 59 games played.

When I said wrong, it's because I didn't like your use of "better two-way game". Richardson has a better defensive game, even though Parse managed to be a +13. When I see "two-way", I expect two things...in this case offense and defense. He is in no way a better offensive player so, to me, he does not have a better "two-way" game: he has a better defensive game and that is it.

Call it semantics if you'd like.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:04 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Jones was sometimes played because of the lack of other options. Jones pretty much had the effort every night. He has the occasional "non-moving feet" night but his real problem is confidence with the puck under pressure. That can only be resolved by playing under pressure - something Murray has personally experienced.

Parse occasionally looked like he was playing in a different system. That requires a bench warming message.

Different players, different problems, different messages.
1) the only effort Jones had every night was to get to the slot, most always at the wrong time

2) Jones did have something else every night though: "non-moving feet."

3) Jones' real problem is he truly sucks.

4) Jones' problem can only be resolved outside of the NHL. But if he lands with any other NHL team I will be happy, so long as he isnt here!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:06 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Great signing.........

one of the best 3rdd lines in NHL

Parse - Handzus - Simmonds.

Richardson next pls
Really, Kurri? Better than Frolov - Handzus - Simmonds? Hmmm. I'm trying to wrap my head around that one.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I totally agree with you. I think Parse just took Frolov's spot in the lineup. He'll probably get a chance to play on the top 6 next season.
If Parse is our replacement for Frolov, we are in for a long season.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
If Parse is our replacement for Frolov, we are in for a long season.
Who said that.
Parse was already here. Not signing Fro frees up 4+ million to get a better player.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Who said that.
Parse was already here. Not signing Fro frees up 4+ million to get a better player.
Buddy the Elf did, in the post that I quoted.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Buddy the Elf did, in the post that I quoted.
Ok, then. Buddy the elf, you are wrong.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote