HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Parse (2 Years, $900k per year)

Old
05-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
My ideal 4th line is Clifford-Richardson-Parse with Westgarth and Clune as the extras for when we need that shot of adrenaline from Clune or fear from Westy.

If Clifford needs more seasoning, then Parse-Richardson-Cliche.

Either way, those are two 4th lines you can play 10 minutes a night.
Fourth line of Parse-Richardson-Cliche! That is the softest 4th line in the NHL!

Remember we have 3 former Flyers running the show. Two of Clifford, Westgarth and Clune will be on the roster and at least 1 playing every day.

O'Donnell could be gone, so you want to leave all the rough stuff for Simmonds and Greene? Ha.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Personally, i'd like to see Clifford-Lewis-Westgarth on the 4th line.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Johnny Utah

I imagine the 4th line with be some sort of combination of Parse/Westgarth - Cliche/Lewis/Richardson - Clifford/Clune.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Good job parse! I can only imagine what I would do with $900grand per year...

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
If Parse is our replacement for Frolov, we are in for a long season.
That is not what I said. I said he replaces him in the line up. I'm not expecting Parse to fill Frolov's skates or his role. I do see him getting more minutes next year. If you read the rest of my post, I said this...

Quote:
This is a win/win for the Kings. He provide CAP relief over Frolov with potential to pot 20+ goals as early as next year. He is also a nice asset to dangle in a trade.

EDIT: He'll also be a great insurance policy for when Modin is re-signed and hurt within the first 20 games of the season
That is basically my prediction (Modin being re-signed). I do expect Parse to replace some of Frolov's production and provide depth on the left side that we are severely lacking had both Frolov and Parse been let go. With Frolov gone that opens a spot on the Top 6. Parse may or may not get a chance to play in the top 6 but if he earns it (which he could), he'll get more ice time.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 06:04 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
1) the only effort Jones had every night was to get to the slot, most always at the wrong time

2) Jones did have something else every night though: "non-moving feet."

3) Jones' real problem is he truly sucks.

4) Jones' problem can only be resolved outside of the NHL. But if he lands with any other NHL team I will be happy, so long as he isnt here!
I lol'ed.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:54 AM
AStammer7*

Rather have Clifford As 3rd Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised Parse signed with us.

Not too sure if I'm happy over the signing. The way I see it, he's going to play the 3rd line and I prefer a bigger forward there if possible.
Parse's play on the 3rd line may be short lived. Not sure he can consistently score in the NHL. I think he is a tad slow. He kind of plays like Frolov without the scoring and puck-possession skills. In a perfect NHL world I rather see KClifford play the position or maybe DwightKing...If the Kings have Parse slated for 3rd line then they need to make a big time(UFA) splash for numero uno LW,given that Smyth will probably slide to 2nd line duties.

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
Parse's play on the 3rd line may be short lived. Not sure he can consistently score in the NHL. I think he is a tad slow. He kind of plays like Frolov without the scoring and puck-possession skills. In a perfect NHL world I rather see KClifford play the position or maybe DwightKing...If the Kings have Parse slated for 3rd line then they need to make a big time(UFA) splash for numero uno LW,given that Smyth will probably slide to 2nd line duties.
Except for the fact that he got no powerplay time, a lot less ice time than Frolov and a lot of players, only played ~60 games and he scored 10 even strength goals last year. Parse is a known commodity compared to Dwight King or Kyle CLifford and that is why he was given a 2 year contract. He is a depth scoring forward and will more than likely be in top 9 position if he isn't traded before the season starts.

I don't think you need to worry about offense from Scott Parse. It is the REST of the game that I believe has been the knock on him.

Old
05-28-2010, 01:21 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
I like Parse but signing him doesn't make us a better team. I don't doubt that Parse will put up pretty good offensive numbers but at the same time, I have to wonder what else does he add? And unfortunately, not much more. Our roster spots are invaluable, and we need to fill them with players that will add more impact than what Parse can bring imo.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:17 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I like Parse but signing him doesn't make us a better team. I don't doubt that Parse will put up pretty good offensive numbers but at the same time, I have to wonder what else does he add? And unfortunately, not much more. Our roster spots are invaluable, and we need to fill them with players that will add more impact than what Parse can bring imo.
So who exactly do you propose the Kings sign for $900k a year that will put up similar offensive numbers while adding "something more" to one of these invaluable roster spots?

Completely laughable that anyone would suggest Dwight King over Parse. There seems to be a little too much reliance on a myriad of prospects to make the team and somehow step in right away as legit NHL players. To that, all I can say is the following:

Beware the Ides of Lehoux.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
:

BigKing comes up big!

LOL @ The Ides of Lehoux

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:24 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
So who exactly do you propose the Kings sign for $900k a year that will put up similar offensive numbers while adding "something more" to one of these invaluable roster spots?

Completely laughable that anyone would suggest Dwight King over Parse. There seems to be a little too much reliance on a myriad of prospects to make the team and somehow step in right away as legit NHL players. To that, all I can say is the following:

Well, who said that we HAVE to sign a player for 900k? But since you've asked, I would prefer someone like Asham over Parse because he brings another dimension to the game that we sorely need. Parse may score more but adding a physical presence is more important to our team.

Old
05-28-2010, 02:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Lehoux do you think you are, making up such funny things?

Old
05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 69
Lehoux let the dogs out!

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:28 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Lehoux let the dogs out!
I hate to encourage you but that made me laugh.

Old
05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Well, who said that we HAVE to sign a player for 900k? But since you've asked, I would prefer someone like Asham over Parse because he brings another dimension to the game that we sorely need. Parse may score more but adding a physical presence is more important to our team.
I think the problem that showed itself in the playoffs was that this team has trouble scoring 5-on-5, not that they were weak physically. This is coming from a guy known around these parts for my love of the fisticuffs.

I was going to go with Beware the Ides of Aulin, but Lehoux is just a much better name.

Old
05-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
And how exactly does Scott Parse prevent the Kings from signing somebody like that or anybody else for that matter? Scott Parse is depth. He isn't going to be expected to carry the team. If Scott Parse is in a top 9 forward position, it will be because he earned it. And I agree with BigKing, it is a friggin joke to assume a prospect is going come in and do anything more than Parse has done. I could happen but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

This is just another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Had DL not re-signed Parse and he went somewhere else and signed for that amount and put up 20 goals you guys would be crying like a bunch of school girls (see Matt Moulson).

Old
05-28-2010, 03:32 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I think the problem that showed itself in the playoffs was that this team has trouble scoring 5-on-5, not that they were weak physically. This is coming from a guy known around these parts for my love of the fisticuffs.

I was going to go with Beware the Ides of Aulin, but Lehoux is just a much better name.
Five on five scoring is a problem but so is our lack of toughness. Besides, I don't think Parse's 10+ more goals than Asham's will have nearly the impact that Asham's physical presence will bring. I'm all for making our top 2 lines the offensive powerhouse and have the other 2 lines play a defensively oriented and physical game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
And how exactly does Scott Parse prevent the Kings from signing somebody like that or anybody else for that matter? Scott Parse is depth. He isn't going to be expected to carry the team. If Scott Parse is in a top 9 forward position, it will be because he earned it. And I agree with BigKing, it is a friggin joke to assume a prospect is going come in and do anything more than Parse has done. I could happen but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

This is just another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Had DL not re-signed Parse and he went somewhere else and signed for that amount and put up 20 goals you guys would be crying like a bunch of school girls (see Matt Moulson).
You're wrong on just about every count.

First off, I've already said that Asham would be a better replacement than Parse so, I'm not quite sure which supposed prospect you're referring to.

Secondly, I don't think signing Parse prevents us from signing other needs but it does lessen our chances. Also think about the number of roster spots available.

Thirdly, I'm fine with Parse, Frolov and Modin signing elsewhere and having stellar seasons for their new teams. As far as I'm concerned, they don't really fit into our plan, so, they're good to go.

I think you're reading other posters take and getting confused with where I stand.

Edit: I just noticed the "school girls" remark and couldn't let it go. Let's try and remember who was crying like a little school girl when Ryan laid out Moller. It wasn't me or the majority of the board, that's for sure.

Last edited by The Black1963: 05-28-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old
05-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Johnny Utah

The problem was we couldn't score agaisnt Vancouver, their forwards ran us over, there D pushed us around in front of Luongo and our own D were soft in front of our own net. We also got exposed for a lack of foot speed on our own D with Scuderi, Greene and O'Donnell.

I wouldn't really call Parse a depth guy now that he almost making 1 million bucks either.

Kings need to add speed to the D, scoring to the forwards and grit to the 4th line.

Old
05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

So we will most likely be seeing Westgarth on the 4th line as his contract becomes a 1-way next season and Ivanans is a UFA. While he may be a long-shot and I may be going against my own warnings of expecting prospects to make the team, Clifford has a good shot at making the team as well.

Asham is 32 while Parse just put up similar offensive numbers in less games in his rookie season; not his 10th. Remember that this team is trying to build a winner from within mostly and are playing a little "moneypuck". Parse has shown he can score at this level and has the upside to be a 20-goal player. When comparing the merits of Asham against Parse, I will take the chance that $900k will be a steal for the potential 20-goal guy as that potential at this point is more valuable than what Asham would bring in the toughness department.

Asham isn't going to sign a 1-year deal either. You may feel fine locking him up for more than 1-season but I don't think it's a move this team needs to make.

I'm pretty sure Asham's point totals would dip playing in the tighter Western Conference as well.

Old
05-28-2010, 03:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Secondly, I don't think signing Parse prevents us from signing other needs but it does lessen our chances. Also think about the number of roster spots available.
I think signing Parse has absolutely ZERO to do with what DL wants to accomplish in FA. If he sees someone he can get that will better fit the hole he has Parse pegged for, then he will do it.

Signing Parse opens options, not closes them, because his contract is small and almost negligent in terms of cap consideration. His roster spot is also far from guaranteed. Signing the contract only means he will be around in September to compete for a spot in camp.

Old
05-28-2010, 03:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
So we will most likely be seeing Westgarth on the 4th line as his contract becomes a 1-way next season and Ivanans is a UFA. While he may be a long-shot and I may be going against my own warnings of expecting prospects to make the team, Clifford has a good shot at making the team as well.

Asham is 32 while Parse just put up similar offensive numbers in less games in his rookie season; not his 10th. Remember that this team is trying to build a winner from within mostly and are playing a little "moneypuck". Parse has shown he can score at this level and has the upside to be a 20-goal player. When comparing the merits of Asham against Parse, I will take the chance that $900k will be a steal for the potential 20-goal guy as that potential at this point is more valuable than what Asham would bring in the toughness department.

Asham isn't going to sign a 1-year deal either. You may feel fine locking him up for more than 1-season but I don't think it's a move this team needs to make.

I'm pretty sure Asham's point totals would dip playing in the tighter Western Conference as well.
I think you misunderstood the bolded part. What I meant was that Parse will likely score 10 more goals than Asham and therefore, those 10 goals alone won't nearly have the kind of impact that Asham's presence will, in game-by-game basis.

Old
05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Johnny Utah

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
UFA -Stoll -Brown
Richardson-Handzus-Simmonds
Clune/Clifford-Cliche/Lewis-Westgarth/Parse

You can always move Parse up to the 3rd line and switch him to LW and put Richardson as the 4th line center.

I think essentially a UFA or player via trade will take Fro's spot, Richardson or Parse takes Modin's spot, Westgarth takes Ivanans' spot, Cliche/Lewis battle for Halpern's 4th line center spot and Clune/Clifford for the 4th line left wing position (both could make it and one could shift over and play in play of Westy some games). How sweet could a Clune (switches to RW)-Cliche-Clifford or a Clune-Cliche-Westgarth.

Old
05-28-2010, 04:11 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
I think you misunderstood the bolded part. What I meant was that Parse will likely score 10 more goals than Asham and therefore, those 10 goals alone won't nearly have the kind of impact that Asham's presence will, in game-by-game basis.
The bolded part you are referencing contains my own words so I don't think I am guilty of misunderstanding said part. I was simply reinforcing again that Parse is an offenisve talent that I feel will score 20 goals in this league. I did not expect it to be here in LA so this signing makes me slightly happy.

We do not agree on Parse's 10 more goals than Asham and their importance. That is where we differ. Honestly, I don't feel that Asham's physical presence is needed as long as Westgarth is up. Against legit competition in Colton Orr, PL-Leblond and Cam Janssen, Asham lost his fights. I don't think the Kings need any help in taking on the Kostopolous's and Tarnasky's of the world: especially not at the sacrifice of 5-on-5 scoring.

Old
05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
You're wrong on just about every count.
You are right on every account!

Quote:
First off, I've already said that Asham would be a better replacement than Parse so, I'm not quite sure which supposed prospect you're referring to.
Replacement for what? You can sigh Asham AND Parse. Both can play different roles.

The guy earlier in the thread that I responded to listed Dwight King and Kyle Clifford as better options than Parse. Neither of those to have proved anything at an NHL level and expecting them to is not smart in my opnion.

Quote:
How does $900k against the CAP lessen our chances? He is making what.. $300k more than last year? Give me a break. You also have Randy Jones and Frolov's $ coming off the books. If you think that this puts a damper on Kovalchuk or Marleau, well I hate to break it to you, $900k isn't going to be the problem.

Quote:
Thirdly, I'm fine with Parse, Frolov and Modin signing elsewhere and having stellar seasons for their new teams. As far as I'm concerned, they don't really fit into our plan, so, they're good to go.
Frolov and Modin don't belong in the same sentence as Parse. Parse is a first year player that still has upside and obviously the organization thinks that. He is nothing more than a safe bet or a insurance policy if somebody else doesn't work out or somebody gets hurt. Who knows? Maybe he earns a shot on the 2nd line come training camp.

Quote:
I think you're reading other posters take and getting confused with where I stand.
Well if you look through thread I've responded to more than just yourself. So when I say "you guys" I'm not considering you multiple people. I responded to somebody else about the prospects and I just added in my post about prospects filling spots. That wasn't directed at you specifically but still was relevant to my point.

Quote:
Edit: I just noticed the "school girls" remark and couldn't let it go. Let's try and remember who was crying like a little school girl when Ryan laid out Moller. It wasn't me or the majority of the board, that's for sure.
I wasn't crying about the Bobby Ryan hit. I said it was chicken **** move on his part and he should have done that during the game but he is a little ***** and waited until there was no time for retaliation to do that. I still think that was chicken ****. Apparently you thought that was tough. .I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything. Honestly, don't even respond to this because I don't really give a **** about this. I'm talking about Scott Parse. My point was that if DL didn't sign Parse, people would ***** about his potential ala Matt Moulson. Then when he signs him for a measily $900k all of sudden we can't afford Kovalchuk or Asham or any other UFA.

Just because Parse is signed doesn't mean 1) that he'll be on the opening night roster (although I suspect that is likely) and 2) that he'll prevent anyone from being signed. The guy can sit in the press box as the 13th forward for all I care. I don't know why just because Parse is signed that somehow limits the Kings from icing a heavier 4th line. Scott Parse isn't being brought in to play that role. He may find himself on the 4th line on occasion but I doubt you'll see a line with Parse/Moller and some other softy.