HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers tidbits from the Edmonton Sun

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2004, 08:41 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oilers tidbits from the Edmonton Sun

As reported by Kevin Lowe at one the season ticket holder breakfasts has now been confirmed by the Edmonton Sun Mikhnov is staying in Russia.

The good news is that he will be signing with the elite league in Russia, playing for Omsk.

And as Guy reported Jeff-Drouin Deslauriers will be signed and the signing should be coming sometime next week. Dupont (Jeff's agent) is not asking for the league minimum and thinks that Edmonton provides the best opportunity for his client.

The Oilers have to offer contracts to five players to retain their rights. Pouliot, Brodziak, Bodie, Jacques and Stortini. They do not have to sign them just make offers. The Oilers will make offers on all five.

Now the best news, the Oilers and Nedved are interested in a long term deal. Kevin Lowe has met with J.P. Barry who is Nedved's agent.

The Edmonton Journal had its sources saying that both Eric Brewer and Ryan Smyth will be named to the World Cup team. This morning in Terry Jones' column he says sources confirm the same thing. Of course we will find out in just a few hours time.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 05-15-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old
05-15-2004, 09:43 AM
speeds

I like the idea that EDM will commit to a player like Nedved this summer.

I like the idea of Nedved (at the right price) but would just as soon see Lowe wait until UFA season begins unless he can get Nedved signed at a very reasonable price, to see who else might be available.

World Cup stuff is interesting news, good to hear for those 2.

With regards to the prospects, no news is good news. There was never a reason to think EDM wouldn't get Deslauriers signed, or QO the 5 guys from the 03 draft - business as usual.

oops, forgot to comment on Mikhnov. I guess it isn't much of a surprise, but it is somewhat disappointing. But Omsk is, I believe, one of the better RSL teams, so hopefully this should help Mikhnov out in development. Tverdovsky plays for this team, so one would suspect them to be one of the "have" teams in the RSL.

Also, this is great news for Oilers fans since Omsk is the only team, during the season, for whom I could find a decent website:

http://www.hawk.ru/

of course, it's in Russian (I think), but a guy can always use an on-line translator to click through the site.

Last edited by speeds: 05-15-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old
05-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Woo! That's great news about Nedved, Smyth, and Brewer!

Old
05-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
I'm not surprised about Mikhnov. With the labour uncertainty that is about to blow up, there will be more than one Euro prospect who stays there knowing that at least they have a spot guaranteed.

Nedved plus Dvorak plus a decent goalie equals playoffs. That would be a great thing. I sure that all of us were amazed with the skill set he brought to the table when he arrived. Look for the PP to jump at least 10 spots with him and Bergie.

JDD...come on down buddy. The Oilers have proven they can't develop forwards, but they seems OK with goalies...give em a shot! Also if Brodziak ever see's a regular NHL shift, that pick would have to be this regimes finest.

Dean

Old
05-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Lowetide

Deslauriers signing is huge, and this probably a good time to start talking up the scouting staff for delivering big time on a supposedly poor draft year (2002). Credit to Lowe for pulling the trigger on the Hecht deal, which looks like it'll get covered.

The Mikhnov thing is frustrating in that he appears to be talented enough to push for a job, and why on earth wouldn't you want your best players close at hand? However, the fact is that Russia is paying better to keep these players home and Mikhnov is beginning to carve out a nice career for himself there.

Nedved negotiations are all good, he sure is an upgrade at center.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
The good news is that he will be signing with the elite league in Russia, playing for Omsk.
He was in the Russian Elite League (RSL) last year too, but as Speeds said, Omsk seems to be a much better team. They finished 3rd in the regular season, and Mikhnov's Sibir finished 11th.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

And as Guy reported Jeff-Drouin Deslauriers will be signed and the signing should be coming sometime next week. Dupont (Jeff's agent) is not asking for the league minimum and thinks that Edmonton provides the best opportunity for his client.
Good news all around s44, I like!

I'm guessing that's supposed to say "not asking for the league maximum"? Smart move on their part, they probably don't want to risk having JDD held back due to the Oilers' tight purse strings a-la Fleury and the Pens.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
As reported by Kevin Lowe at one the season ticket holder breakfasts has now been confirmed by the Edmonton Sun Mikhnov is staying in Russia.

This is one of the things that I reported on Thursday on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer (Every Thursday at 6:30 on TEAM 1260 don'tcha know!?).

It's all because of the NHL uncertainty for next year. He's going to sign a 1-year deal with a player option for the season after that. Also to note, the owner of the Omsk team is Abramovich the Multi billionaire who owns an English soccer team and made waves by saying he wanted to buy the Canucks and stock it with Russians. The guy is loaded. Mikhnov should come over the next time a season starts in October (which might be a while).

Old
05-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Cerebral

Pretty decent news all around.. I'm not even too worried about Mikhnov with the NHL labor troubles ahead. At least he'll get a chance to play on a decent team next year and he'll hopefully be able to actually see! Thank you for the update!

Old
05-15-2004, 05:49 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
This is one of the things that I reported on Thursday on Total Sports with Bob Stauffer (Every Thursday at 6:30 on TEAM 1260 don'tcha know!?).

It's all because of the NHL uncertainty for next year. He's going to sign a 1-year deal with a player option for the season after that. Also to note, the owner of the Omsk team is Abramovich the Multi billionaire who owns an English soccer team and made waves by saying he wanted to buy the Canucks and stock it with Russians. The guy is loaded. Mikhnov should come over the next time a season starts in October (which might be a while).
Yes I know Guy but when I reported it here almost a month ago you actually said that Prendergast told you that there was still a chance.

Hey give me a break, how often does a person like me get the scoop. :lol

Hey you do a great job, but I think in this case Lowe let the cat out of the bag to the season ticket holders first.

Good to see he will sign next year though and really because of the labour uncertainty IMO it really wasn't bad news.

Old
05-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Matts

So if Nedved resigns

I guess it's Nedved-Horc-Reasoner-Stoll down the middle?? Seems like I'm forgetting someone but who is it?

This should mean York back to RW and that's him-DMarchant-Hemsky -Pisani on the right side

That's pretty strong if Pisani keeps on keeping on Hemsky bounces back

Old
05-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
I guess it's Nedved-Horc-Reasoner-Stoll down the middle?? Seems like I'm forgetting someone but who is it?

This should mean York back to RW and that's him-DMarchant-Hemsky -Pisani on the right side

I can actually see York going back to wing to be honest. Hopefully Reasoner can bounce back from his injury-plagued season.

05-15-2004, 09:14 PM
The Rage

Quote:

Abramovich is worth 6 billion POUNDS. And he's willing to spend all of it on sports. Mikhnov no doubt will be getting a nice paycheck.

Old
05-16-2004, 04:02 AM
Digger12

Guess I was wrong about Mikhnov...

I thought there was a decent to good chance he was going to sign here this year. Oh well.

It's good that he's going to a much better team, but I hope he's not buried on the 4th line or even the pressbox due to their greater depth...not to mention the financial advantages for him staying in Russia probably just increased now that he's on Team Abramovich.

The wait continues.

Old
05-16-2004, 12:16 PM
jadeddog

just seems to me that this kid is never going to come over here.... but thats just my gut feeling on the situation

Old
05-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Lord
Luckily i have possibility now to watch sometimes at least one Edmonton's prospect in Russia and provide some reports if anybody here would be still interested.
I mean Mikhnov.
His new team Avangard won playoffs last season, they have a great coach Belousov and very strong team. But I believe it would be really difficult for Mikhnov to jump higher than 3-rd line. I even think he would start season on the 4-th line.

Old
05-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord
Luckily i have possibility now to watch sometimes at least one Edmonton's prospect in Russia and provide some reports if anybody here would be still interested.
I mean Mikhnov.
His new team Avangard won playoffs last season, they have a great coach Belousov and very strong team. But I believe it would be really difficult for Mikhnov to jump higher than 3-rd line. I even think he would start season on the 4-th line.
We'll eagerly await updates, lord. What team does Fomitchev play for? Do you see them often?

Old
05-16-2004, 04:21 PM
copperaddict

You're english is very good Lord. It would be great for some info on the Oilers former 1st rounder. I was able to see Fomitchev in training camp here a couple of years ago and was very impressed with his reflexes.It's to bad the Oilers let him go so easily.Any idea how much Tverdovsky is making playing at home? I would like to see him playing 25 minutes a night here in the city of Edmonton.

Old
05-16-2004, 05:15 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

yah what happens with Laraque??

also if York goes to LW which is his wing people say and he is listed i think? we have

smyth, torres, moreau, york, chimera, Isbister(might nto be signed), than we have rita, and other prospects.

rw is crowded too,

lowe has to make some deals to unload on our lw and rw if he ever wants our prospects to crack the lineup since we have way too many.

Old
05-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
Any idea how much Tverdovsky is making playing at home? I would like to see him playing 25 minutes a night here in the city of Edmonton.
I've been told it was $3.5M U.S. for last year. I did not double check that but it is the figure I was given.

Old
05-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
I've been told it was $3.5M U.S. for last year. I did not double check that but it is the figure I was given.
from the washington post

The money has certainly changed. Tverdovsky signed a contract with Omsk in Siberia worth $5 million over two seasons, with the team even paying his taxes,

link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Old
05-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
We'll eagerly await updates, lord. What team does Fomitchev play for? Do you see them often?
The first thing is that Avangard is much more popular and stronger team than Sibir and i guess that i would have possibility next season to watch Mikhnov not only live in Moscow (6 times a year because now there are three teams in the Superleague from our capital), but also on TV. I expect at least 8 home games. Sibir games, for example, last season were shown on TV only when it played in Moscow (2 or 3 times).
And Fomitchev also moved from Sibir. He joins CSKA. Next season he considered to be number one goalie in this team, so i hope to see him playing very often cause this club is based in Moscow.
And at last some words about Tverdovsky. According to some sources here in Russia Oleg is earning 2.5 mln (no taxes) and has no desire to move back to North America. At least at the moment. Tverdovsky was by far the best defender in the regular season in the Superleague. He made a little step back in playoffs, but still was doing well.

Closed Thread