HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jersey ettiquette Poll

Old
05-26-2010, 09:56 PM
tushare

vCash: 500
Jersey ettiquette Poll

Hey Flyers fans,

I wanted to congradulate the flyers on beating my Habs and going to the cup final. I am not here to cause trouble but I wanted the opinion of the flyers faithful. I was at dinner about 24-48 after the flyers kicked the habs out of the post season. I was with my girlfriend and we saw an individual wearing a Flyers shirt walking around in montreal. I was just wondering flyers fans feelings are about ettiquette at this point. I said that I thought it was in poor taste to knowingly wear the flyers shirt so soon after kicking the habs butts and especially since it was in montreal. She, felt that who cares... what he is wearing and that I was being ridiculous for even being remotely upset. Or anyone can say anything they want anywhere. So I didn't say anything to that flyers fan, didn't give me any looks or anything I was just wondering, from flyers fans,.. if montreal had beaten the flyers in the same way, how the flyers fans would feel if a habs fan wore a montreal jersey only a few days later in philly? I understand fans going to other cities and cheering for philly in the next round even in montreal, but the next round starts in 3 days and it has been less than two days from when that last game was. I know that I'll get a ton of hate just cause I love my habs, but all I want to know is what the ettiquette is in flyers fan's opinion.

Thanks

and from a Habs fan good luck against Chi town. If I'm not cheering for my underdog I'll be cheering for yours.

TJ

tushare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:01 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushare View Post
Hey Flyers fans,

I wanted to congradulate the flyers on beating my Habs and going to the cup final. I am not here to cause trouble but I wanted the opinion of the flyers faithful. I was at dinner about 24-48 after the flyers kicked the habs out of the post season. I was with my girlfriend and we saw an individual wearing a Flyers shirt walking around in montreal. I was just wondering flyers fans feelings are about ettiquette at this point. I said that I thought it was in poor taste to knowingly wear the flyers shirt so soon after kicking the habs butts and especially since it was in montreal. She, felt that who cares... what he is wearing and that I was being ridiculous for even being remotely upset. Or anyone can say anything they want anywhere. So I didn't say anything to that flyers fan, didn't give me any looks or anything I was just wondering, from flyers fans,.. if montreal had beaten the flyers in the same way, how the flyers fans would feel if a habs fan wore a montreal jersey only a few days later in philly? I understand fans going to other cities and cheering for philly in the next round even in montreal, but the next round starts in 3 days and it has been less than two days from when that last game was. I know that I'll get a ton of hate just cause I love my habs, but all I want to know is what the ettiquette is in flyers fan's opinion.

Thanks

and from a Habs fan good luck against Chi town. If I'm not cheering for my underdog I'll be cheering for yours.

TJ
You would have to have brass balls to wear a Habs jersey around Philly if they sent the Flyers packing. It's not in poor taste, but it would highly be frowned upon by us and you'd probably hear about it.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Viller

I'd do it. I almost went to parade a fake cup around Montreal but I didn't have time to waste. Bit too late for that now. (I live about an hour away)

Nothing wrong with showing your colours, alot of people like more than one team also(probably unheard of for Habs fans though, not that its a bad thing though).

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:05 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
If I were on the other side obviously I would not want to see someone wearing something of 'the other team'. But I can't fault someone for supporting their team when they're still in the playoffs.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Bryz4shiz

The day after the Flyers capped the comeback against Boston I walked around Boston wearing a Flyers jersey, so that's what I have to say about the matter.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Wils98

haha, My buddies and I did worse last weekend...we were in Montreal during game 4, it was my friend bachelor party. We dressed him up with an orange T-shirt with "Habs Suck" in front. We watched the game in a bar, after they score the 3rd goal, we made the bachelor sing Ole Ole Ole in the bar, just to rub it in a bit. Then we sent the bachelor at the exit of the Bell Centre to greet the habs fans! haha

Look at this picture! Priceless!

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
MsWoof

Years ago when Philly beat the Leafs I wore my Flyers jersey all day. The woman at Tim Horton's looked at me and said she wasn't going to serve me. Of course she did, but then I was down at the boardwalk and someone heckled me. I couldn't see him but then someone started heckling HIM!

I think it's different in Toronto because people are so resigned to the Leafs losing all the time. Also, I'm a woman and I find a lot of people want to know why I'm a Flyers fan and how long because it's not typical to see women wearing Flyers clothes around here.

I guess I'm saying, etiquette be damned,

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:22 PM
clodejirew

if i was in montreal when the flyers kicked them out of the playoffs, I would most definitely wear all my flyers gear around town.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:23 PM
v-man

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I wore a Canes jersey in Toronto the day after they eliminated the Leafs in 02 and all I got was friendly "damn you guys for beating us" and even a few high fives. This in a city that hasn't been to the finals since the 60's. Why must every person in Montreal be a Canadiens fan? It's just a sports jersey, which is not something that should make you upset, unless it has a swastika or hammer and sickle on it.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
fire bettman

I don't think flaunting the win is in good taste, although I will admit funny sometimes, but I don't see anything wrong with wearing your team colors when they're still in the running for the cup.

I mean was this guy just walking down the street wearing a Flyers jersey or was he walking down the street singing "ole! ole! ole!"

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:44 PM
tushare

Details

The guy was wearing the shirt a little over a day since beating Montreal, on a street where many Montreal fans would go to watch games at bars. He was not being extra-ordinary another than wearing an orange Flyers shirt. I was just wondering what would be the reaction of Flyers fans if the Flyers lost and a Habs fan was having a pint in a local Philly bar wearing a habs jersey the next day or the day after. I'm wondering how people would feel if their team was bounced and then a fan of the team that bounced them wore their jersey a day later in their home city. Personnaly if the tables were turned I would not do that or in a real context I did not wear a Toronto Blue Jays Jersey in the streets of Philly the day after the world series ended in 1993 even though I'm a Jays fan.

tushare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushare View Post
The guy was wearing the shirt a little over a day since beating Montreal, on a street where many Montreal fans would go to watch games at bars. He was not being extra-ordinary another than wearing an orange Flyers shirt. I was just wondering what would be the reaction of Flyers fans if the Flyers lost and a Habs fan was having a pint in a local Philly bar wearing a habs jersey the next day or the day after. I'm wondering how people would feel if their team was bounced and then a fan of the team that bounced them wore their jersey a day later in their home city. Personnaly if the tables were turned I would not do that or in a real context I did not wear a Toronto Blue Jays Jersey in the streets of Philly the day after the world series ended in 1993 even though I'm a Jays fan.
When the Saints beat the Eagles in the playoffs in 2006, I continued to wear my Saints hat (as is the norm really) to work. Some people said nothing, some were cool about it. The first person I saw was my supervisor who threw a couple expletives at me. They get over it quick.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 50
I think it would be more cliche to wear a jersey of a team not involved in the match up. For example, to wear a Sabres jersey to a Habs v. Flyers game. Or better yet, the wearing of a NY Yankees jersey to a Sharks v. Ducks game.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Unstable

No, screw that. There's no being polite to fans of an eliminated team by not wearing your own team's stuff. No way.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Congrats flyers, I always had a soft spot for you.

What a well run organization with top notch management and fans. Unlike another franchise in the same state that ascribes to high draft pick handouts.

I wore my burnt orange Flyers shirt today in support.

Huzzah Philly

Huzzah

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:39 PM
PhillyPhantic

The other way around in Philly is probably not recommended... I mean if you could then more power to you. I don't see anything wrong with it. I am just fearing for your safety.

Anyways I wore my Phillies jersey proud in Denver after they took out the Rockies in Colorado last year. Of course I was there for the game, but I would still rub it in just lived there.

Of course I'm wearing Phillies/Flyers/Eagles stuff all the time.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Years ago when Philly beat the Leafs I wore my Flyers jersey all day. The woman at Tim Horton's looked at me and said she wasn't going to serve me. Of course she did, but then I was down at the boardwalk and someone heckled me. I couldn't see him but then someone started heckling HIM!

I think it's different in Toronto because people are so resigned to the Leafs losing all the time. Also, I'm a woman and I find a lot of people want to know why I'm a Flyers fan and how long because it's not typical to see women wearing Flyers clothes around here.

I guess I'm saying, etiquette be damned,
I get heckled wearing my jersey all the time in Vancouver.... and the teams rarely ever play each other. I think it's great.

Though, Vancouver doesn't have the reputation that Philadelphia has when it comes to treating opposition fans.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:52 AM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I get heckled wearing my jersey all the time in Vancouver.... and the teams rarely ever play each other. I think it's great.

Though, Vancouver doesn't have the reputation that Philadelphia has when it comes to treating opposition fans.
That's kind of reassuring actually. I live in the state below you and always had the impression that showing up at GM Place in O&B would end badly for me.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

i live in los angeles and the MORNING after JRoll delivered the death knell in game 4 of the NLCS i was rocking my ivory colored Rollins jersey.

people literally stopped their cars to talk trash but WHAT COULD THEY SAY!?! we own the dodgers (somos los duenos de los doyers, pendejos, for you latino angelinos) and the flyers own you guys. ce la vie.

you gotta strut your stuff, even if you're away from home. i fear no one and neither did that dude, props to him.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:20 AM
PhillyPhantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
That's kind of reassuring actually. I live in the state below you and always had the impression that showing up at GM Place in O&B would end badly for me.
My friends and I did it a few times. It's Canada and the Canadians (the people, not the team) are nice to a fault. You should have no problems.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
jackofhearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
The day after the Flyers capped the comeback against Boston I walked around Boston wearing a Flyers jersey, so that's what I have to say about the matter.
Same. It felt so good.

Besides, most of the heckling I got was friendly/goofy, so the Boston fans had a good enough sense of humor to just laugh about the whole thing.

jackofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
JSTAFF

**** the Habs.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Morinisbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
**** the Habs.
WORD! I'd wear my **** proudly up there! I know it's a little different but during Game 6 against Montreal, I had to go down to Maryland/DC area for work.....I threw my Flyers jersey on over my work clothes, put one of those flags on my car and tried to rub it in as much as I could down there.

I say support your team, no matter where you are and whatever the consequences.

Oh, and one weird twist to the story is...I was pulled over in MD for speeding and for the FIRST time in my life they actually let me go with a warning? Maybe a Flyers fan???

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:00 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
WORD! I'd wear my **** proudly up there! I know it's a little different but during Game 6 against Montreal, I had to go down to Maryland/DC area for work.....I threw my Flyers jersey on over my work clothes, put one of those flags on my car and tried to rub it in as much as I could down there.

I say support your team, no matter where you are and whatever the consequences.

Oh, and one weird twist to the story is...I was pulled over in MD for speeding and for the FIRST time in my life they actually let me go with a warning? Maybe a Flyers fan???
Or maybe it was the ******** you gave him? One or the other

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Morinisbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Or maybe it was the ******** you gave him? One or the other
Ha. Well done.

That thought didn't cross my mind, but thank you for the advice. Has this been working for you?

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote