HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jersey ettiquette Poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2010, 09:56 PM
  #1
tushare
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Jersey ettiquette Poll

Hey Flyers fans,

I wanted to congradulate the flyers on beating my Habs and going to the cup final. I am not here to cause trouble but I wanted the opinion of the flyers faithful. I was at dinner about 24-48 after the flyers kicked the habs out of the post season. I was with my girlfriend and we saw an individual wearing a Flyers shirt walking around in montreal. I was just wondering flyers fans feelings are about ettiquette at this point. I said that I thought it was in poor taste to knowingly wear the flyers shirt so soon after kicking the habs butts and especially since it was in montreal. She, felt that who cares... what he is wearing and that I was being ridiculous for even being remotely upset. Or anyone can say anything they want anywhere. So I didn't say anything to that flyers fan, didn't give me any looks or anything I was just wondering, from flyers fans,.. if montreal had beaten the flyers in the same way, how the flyers fans would feel if a habs fan wore a montreal jersey only a few days later in philly? I understand fans going to other cities and cheering for philly in the next round even in montreal, but the next round starts in 3 days and it has been less than two days from when that last game was. I know that I'll get a ton of hate just cause I love my habs, but all I want to know is what the ettiquette is in flyers fan's opinion.

Thanks

and from a Habs fan good luck against Chi town. If I'm not cheering for my underdog I'll be cheering for yours.

TJ

tushare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:01 PM
  #2
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 13,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushare View Post
Hey Flyers fans,

I wanted to congradulate the flyers on beating my Habs and going to the cup final. I am not here to cause trouble but I wanted the opinion of the flyers faithful. I was at dinner about 24-48 after the flyers kicked the habs out of the post season. I was with my girlfriend and we saw an individual wearing a Flyers shirt walking around in montreal. I was just wondering flyers fans feelings are about ettiquette at this point. I said that I thought it was in poor taste to knowingly wear the flyers shirt so soon after kicking the habs butts and especially since it was in montreal. She, felt that who cares... what he is wearing and that I was being ridiculous for even being remotely upset. Or anyone can say anything they want anywhere. So I didn't say anything to that flyers fan, didn't give me any looks or anything I was just wondering, from flyers fans,.. if montreal had beaten the flyers in the same way, how the flyers fans would feel if a habs fan wore a montreal jersey only a few days later in philly? I understand fans going to other cities and cheering for philly in the next round even in montreal, but the next round starts in 3 days and it has been less than two days from when that last game was. I know that I'll get a ton of hate just cause I love my habs, but all I want to know is what the ettiquette is in flyers fan's opinion.

Thanks

and from a Habs fan good luck against Chi town. If I'm not cheering for my underdog I'll be cheering for yours.

TJ
You would have to have brass balls to wear a Habs jersey around Philly if they sent the Flyers packing. It's not in poor taste, but it would highly be frowned upon by us and you'd probably hear about it.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:05 PM
  #3
Viller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
I'd do it. I almost went to parade a fake cup around Montreal but I didn't have time to waste. Bit too late for that now. (I live about an hour away)

Nothing wrong with showing your colours, alot of people like more than one team also(probably unheard of for Habs fans though, not that its a bad thing though).

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:05 PM
  #4
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 320
If I were on the other side obviously I would not want to see someone wearing something of 'the other team'. But I can't fault someone for supporting their team when they're still in the playoffs.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:12 PM
  #5
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
The day after the Flyers capped the comeback against Boston I walked around Boston wearing a Flyers jersey, so that's what I have to say about the matter.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
  #6
Wils98
Registered User
 
Wils98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
haha, My buddies and I did worse last weekend...we were in Montreal during game 4, it was my friend bachelor party. We dressed him up with an orange T-shirt with "Habs Suck" in front. We watched the game in a bar, after they score the 3rd goal, we made the bachelor sing Ole Ole Ole in the bar, just to rub it in a bit. Then we sent the bachelor at the exit of the Bell Centre to greet the habs fans! haha

Look at this picture! Priceless!

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
  #7
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,619
vCash: 500
Years ago when Philly beat the Leafs I wore my Flyers jersey all day. The woman at Tim Horton's looked at me and said she wasn't going to serve me. Of course she did, but then I was down at the boardwalk and someone heckled me. I couldn't see him but then someone started heckling HIM!

I think it's different in Toronto because people are so resigned to the Leafs losing all the time. Also, I'm a woman and I find a lot of people want to know why I'm a Flyers fan and how long because it's not typical to see women wearing Flyers clothes around here.

I guess I'm saying, etiquette be damned,

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:22 PM
  #8
clodejirew
Registered User
 
clodejirew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
if i was in montreal when the flyers kicked them out of the playoffs, I would most definitely wear all my flyers gear around town.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:23 PM
  #9
v-man
Registered User
 
v-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,951
vCash: 500
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I wore a Canes jersey in Toronto the day after they eliminated the Leafs in 02 and all I got was friendly "damn you guys for beating us" and even a few high fives. This in a city that hasn't been to the finals since the 60's. Why must every person in Montreal be a Canadiens fan? It's just a sports jersey, which is not something that should make you upset, unless it has a swastika or hammer and sickle on it.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
  #10
fire bettman
 
fire bettman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
I don't think flaunting the win is in good taste, although I will admit funny sometimes, but I don't see anything wrong with wearing your team colors when they're still in the running for the cup.

I mean was this guy just walking down the street wearing a Flyers jersey or was he walking down the street singing "ole! ole! ole!"

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:44 PM
  #11
tushare
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Details

The guy was wearing the shirt a little over a day since beating Montreal, on a street where many Montreal fans would go to watch games at bars. He was not being extra-ordinary another than wearing an orange Flyers shirt. I was just wondering what would be the reaction of Flyers fans if the Flyers lost and a Habs fan was having a pint in a local Philly bar wearing a habs jersey the next day or the day after. I'm wondering how people would feel if their team was bounced and then a fan of the team that bounced them wore their jersey a day later in their home city. Personnaly if the tables were turned I would not do that or in a real context I did not wear a Toronto Blue Jays Jersey in the streets of Philly the day after the world series ended in 1993 even though I'm a Jays fan.

tushare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
  #12
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,946
vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushare View Post
The guy was wearing the shirt a little over a day since beating Montreal, on a street where many Montreal fans would go to watch games at bars. He was not being extra-ordinary another than wearing an orange Flyers shirt. I was just wondering what would be the reaction of Flyers fans if the Flyers lost and a Habs fan was having a pint in a local Philly bar wearing a habs jersey the next day or the day after. I'm wondering how people would feel if their team was bounced and then a fan of the team that bounced them wore their jersey a day later in their home city. Personnaly if the tables were turned I would not do that or in a real context I did not wear a Toronto Blue Jays Jersey in the streets of Philly the day after the world series ended in 1993 even though I'm a Jays fan.
When the Saints beat the Eagles in the playoffs in 2006, I continued to wear my Saints hat (as is the norm really) to work. Some people said nothing, some were cool about it. The first person I saw was my supervisor who threw a couple expletives at me. They get over it quick.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:16 PM
  #13
Chaotic8
Boarding Major
 
Chaotic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,477
vCash: 50
I think it would be more cliche to wear a jersey of a team not involved in the match up. For example, to wear a Sabres jersey to a Habs v. Flyers game. Or better yet, the wearing of a NY Yankees jersey to a Sharks v. Ducks game.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:30 PM
  #14
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,145
vCash: 500
No, screw that. There's no being polite to fans of an eliminated team by not wearing your own team's stuff. No way.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
  #15
oilsands
shut 'em down.
 
oilsands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Halland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,839
vCash: 500
Congrats flyers, I always had a soft spot for you.

What a well run organization with top notch management and fans. Unlike another franchise in the same state that ascribes to high draft pick handouts.

I wore my burnt orange Flyers shirt today in support.

Huzzah Philly

Huzzah

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:39 PM
  #16
PhillyPhantic
Registered User
 
PhillyPhantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
The other way around in Philly is probably not recommended... I mean if you could then more power to you. I don't see anything wrong with it. I am just fearing for your safety.

Anyways I wore my Phillies jersey proud in Denver after they took out the Rockies in Colorado last year. Of course I was there for the game, but I would still rub it in just lived there.

Of course I'm wearing Phillies/Flyers/Eagles stuff all the time.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
  #17
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 16,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Years ago when Philly beat the Leafs I wore my Flyers jersey all day. The woman at Tim Horton's looked at me and said she wasn't going to serve me. Of course she did, but then I was down at the boardwalk and someone heckled me. I couldn't see him but then someone started heckling HIM!

I think it's different in Toronto because people are so resigned to the Leafs losing all the time. Also, I'm a woman and I find a lot of people want to know why I'm a Flyers fan and how long because it's not typical to see women wearing Flyers clothes around here.

I guess I'm saying, etiquette be damned,
I get heckled wearing my jersey all the time in Vancouver.... and the teams rarely ever play each other. I think it's great.

Though, Vancouver doesn't have the reputation that Philadelphia has when it comes to treating opposition fans.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:52 AM
  #18
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo
 
six sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I get heckled wearing my jersey all the time in Vancouver.... and the teams rarely ever play each other. I think it's great.

Though, Vancouver doesn't have the reputation that Philadelphia has when it comes to treating opposition fans.
That's kind of reassuring actually. I live in the state below you and always had the impression that showing up at GM Place in O&B would end badly for me.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:08 AM
  #19
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,355
vCash: 500
i live in los angeles and the MORNING after JRoll delivered the death knell in game 4 of the NLCS i was rocking my ivory colored Rollins jersey.

people literally stopped their cars to talk trash but WHAT COULD THEY SAY!?! we own the dodgers (somos los duenos de los doyers, pendejos, for you latino angelinos) and the flyers own you guys. ce la vie.

you gotta strut your stuff, even if you're away from home. i fear no one and neither did that dude, props to him.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:20 AM
  #20
PhillyPhantic
Registered User
 
PhillyPhantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
That's kind of reassuring actually. I live in the state below you and always had the impression that showing up at GM Place in O&B would end badly for me.
My friends and I did it a few times. It's Canada and the Canadians (the people, not the team) are nice to a fault. You should have no problems.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
  #21
jackofhearts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Merion, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
The day after the Flyers capped the comeback against Boston I walked around Boston wearing a Flyers jersey, so that's what I have to say about the matter.
Same. It felt so good.

Besides, most of the heckling I got was friendly/goofy, so the Boston fans had a good enough sense of humor to just laugh about the whole thing.

jackofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
  #22
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
**** the Habs.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
  #23
Morinisbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
**** the Habs.
WORD! I'd wear my **** proudly up there! I know it's a little different but during Game 6 against Montreal, I had to go down to Maryland/DC area for work.....I threw my Flyers jersey on over my work clothes, put one of those flags on my car and tried to rub it in as much as I could down there.

I say support your team, no matter where you are and whatever the consequences.

Oh, and one weird twist to the story is...I was pulled over in MD for speeding and for the FIRST time in my life they actually let me go with a warning? Maybe a Flyers fan???

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:00 AM
  #24
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
WORD! I'd wear my **** proudly up there! I know it's a little different but during Game 6 against Montreal, I had to go down to Maryland/DC area for work.....I threw my Flyers jersey on over my work clothes, put one of those flags on my car and tried to rub it in as much as I could down there.

I say support your team, no matter where you are and whatever the consequences.

Oh, and one weird twist to the story is...I was pulled over in MD for speeding and for the FIRST time in my life they actually let me go with a warning? Maybe a Flyers fan???
Or maybe it was the ******** you gave him? One or the other

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
  #25
Morinisbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Or maybe it was the ******** you gave him? One or the other
Ha. Well done.

That thought didn't cross my mind, but thank you for the advice. Has this been working for you?

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.