HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple Dethrones Microsoft

Old
05-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Great, so now I have to hear those trendy Apple fanboys brag about this for a while.

This thread is sweet so far though.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:21 AM
SeNaToR PhIL

So are all the Apple fanboys heading out to Starbucks to celebrate?

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:27 AM
guinness
those were the days

Well at least now Apple can no longer paint themselves as the underdog.

guinness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
ILuvLucic*

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

-Adolf Hitler

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 4975
The insecurities on both ends are both hilarious and sad.

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I won't argue the laptop issue, because I don't own a laptop, I don't want a laptop, I don't care about laptops, and as a result, I don't know much about any laptops out there. Desktops, this is definitely not the case, thus the thriving Hackintosh community. The only place Apple possibly holds any footing in the Desktop argument is if you decide to argue OS - that's another argument I choose to not bother with - I prefer Windows, if someone else prefers OS X or Linux or whatever, all the power to them, I'm not going to try to convert them.
They can use those OS on a PC and not pay extra $ for a logo and "tuned hardware" as they like to put it. How about with the money I saved, I just go and get better hardware.....

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Not to be a party pooper, but market capitalization is actually more influenced by people’s perception of the company’s performance than its actual worth.

Don't get me wrong this is great news for Apple.
True, but Apple ain't WebVan and the cash allows Apple, much like Google, to gain future market advantage via acquisitions and RD projects that they otherwise would not have pursued.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:13 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I would say that should be reversed since this came out today because it happened "today"
Good point, I still found it interesting that I read both on the same day

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:44 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
Great, so now I have to hear those trendy Apple fanboys brag about this for a while.

This thread is sweet so far though.
I dunno, I get a kick out of all the insecure PC users.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Oh boy....

Americans: Buy trendy over practical, pay double for something because it's shiny, pay double for something because it makes you cool with your trendy friends... And therein lies the fundamental framework for the success of this company: widespread, growing, and all-encompassing stupidity.

It's my favorite thing when I hear an Apple fanboy try to defend the purchase of their laptop. It brings joy to my life, because no matter what's wrong with my day, I can just say "Hey. At least I'm not a legally certified ******." Enjoy your overpriced piece of junk with the elementary knowledge that "you cannot get a virus" and that it's "better for video/image hurp-ing and durp-ing".

Rant complete.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Oh boy....

Americans: Buy trendy over practical, pay double for something because it's shiny, pay double for something because it makes you cool with your trendy friends... And therein lies the fundamental framework for the success of this company: widespread, growing, and all-encompassing stupidity.

It's my favorite thing when I hear an Apple fanboy try to defend the purchase of their laptop. It brings joy to my life, because no matter what's wrong with my day, I can just say "Hey. At least I'm not a legally certified ******." Enjoy your overpriced piece of junk with the elementary knowledge that "you cannot get a virus" and that it's "better for video/image hurp-ing and durp-ing".

Rant complete.
I lol'd.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Oh boy....

Rant complete.
lmao this made me laugh. I honestly think if they'd just say I bought apple because I prefer macos, I prefer the shiny white apple, and I paid more because I think they're cool and I like the look of it, I don't think anybody would complain, they'd say your choice.

It's just, apple fans routinely use piss poor reasoning in their claim. If you have to convince yourself of a bunch of dumb **** because you bought a product, or convince other people of why it's justified, you can't tell me there isn't some level of insecurity there. Just admit it, you like apple because you like apple, you think it's cool because it's different. It's OK to like something for that reason, but don't state a bunch of other bullcrap like "I don't get viruses" or "the hardware IS better". That one always cracks me up, the hardware is better.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:53 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I can't justify purchasing anything Apple related that isn't an iPod. Even my friend who was all up on his MacBook's **** near the end of 2009 is coming out of the Apple closet. He has no idea why he spent that much money on a junk laptop.

Last edited by The Dayvan Cowboy: 05-27-2010 at 12:21 PM.
The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Good for Apple... Steve Jobs is a genius. He's obviously polarized perception among the more tech saavy (like us, who use message boards), but what he's done from a business perspective is impressive.

I had high hopes that MS was really going to step up to the plate given the reception of Windows 7, the announcement of WPS7, and the rumors of the Courier, but... yeah. WPS7 looks to be Microsoft's version of the first iPhone and Courier has been canceled. Shame.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
The Big Giant Head

i dont understand people battling bewteen PC and apple...i use both products and love them both. my computers are all PC's yet i have an iphone, ipod video and hopefully one day an ipad, not to mention my next laptop will be a mac.

Why limit yourself to either company? I think the fact that they're both neck and neck is a good thing...who cares if Apple is worth a few million dollars more than PC or vice versa. Good for both company's, hopefully they both keep kickin ass so i have plenty of toys to play with

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:47 PM
FruityPants3*

I wonder how many of the PC superusers who complain about Apple's shiny products are sporting liquid cooling and see through cases with blue lighting. Or Alienware.

Old
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I wonder how many of the PC superusers who complain about Apple's shiny products are sporting liquid cooling and see through cases with blue lighting. Or Alienware.
I wonder how many Apple users have had the opportunity to add liquid cooling and see through cases with blue lighting to their Apple product?

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I wonder how many Apple users have had the opportunity to add liquid cooling and see through cases with blue lighting to their Apple product?
I'm sure anyone with a MacPro could if they were so inclined. Otherwise there isn't a fair comparison, since you would be comparing iMacs and macbooks to other condensed PCs and laptops that don't have those options, either.

Old
05-27-2010, 01:46 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Not to be a party pooper, but market capitalization is actually more influenced by people’s perception of the company’s performance than its actual worth.

Don't get me wrong this is great news for Apple.
Yaaa Sined us Linux peeps just sit back and enjoyin the pisssin match

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:15 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
What does that even have to do with Microsoft? I don't get where the whole pissing match comes from. It's a notable achievement that From the new Apple has passed Microsoft in net worth in stocks, I'm not sure exactly what that means in actual value but it's a notable achievement regardless. Though I'm kind of curious as to why/how Apple stocks are worth so much more than Microsoft.

But what does that have to do with a PC user? The main reason we use windows is for gaming. For myself, I've only ever spent $150 on Microsoft products, in a student bundle for XP/Office/Visual Studio's + a few other things. Currently I have Windows 7 and Visual Studios Professional installed on my computer which I got for free when I was doing some part time classes. Other than that, I use firefox for web browsing, google for searching/maps/email, Open Office for word & excel, Steam for gaming, Logitech keyboard and mouse, an LG monitor, Intel Processor, NVidia graphics card, Western Digital HD's, etc etc. So why would Microsoft's success or lack there of define or have anything to do with PC users? I mean if it had market share I'd gladly switch to Linux and cut Microsoft out of the picture all together.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
What does that even have to do with Microsoft? I don't get where the whole pissing match comes from. It's a notable achievement that From the new Apple has passed Microsoft in net worth in stocks, I'm not sure exactly what that means in actual value but it's a notable achievement regardless. Though I'm kind of curious as to why/how Apple stocks are worth so much more than Microsoft.

But what does that have to do with a PC user? The main reason we use windows is for gaming. For myself, I've only ever spent $150 on Microsoft products, in a student bundle for XP/Office/Visual Studio's + a few other things. Currently I have Windows 7 and Visual Studios Professional installed on my computer which I got for free when I was doing some part time classes. Other than that, I use firefox for web browsing, google for searching/maps/email, Open Office for word & excel, Steam for gaming, Logitech keyboard and mouse, an LG monitor, Intel Processor, NVidia graphics card, Western Digital HD's, etc etc. So why would Microsoft's success or lack there of define or have anything to do with PC users? I mean if it had market share I'd gladly switch to Linux and cut Microsoft out of the picture all together.
What relevance does any of the Apple vs PC banter in any Apple thread ever have to do with the topic at hand? Why did you single out my comment and not the people suggesting people who buy Apple are 'certifiably ********?' There is simply no meaningful conversation that can come out of these threads.

Let's have a look at this one.
Posts 2-5 are on topic.
Post 6 is blatant trolling.
Post 7 is a response to the trolling.
Post 8 is more blatant trolling.
Posts 9-12 are on topic.
Posts 13-15 are in response to trolling.
Post 16 is offtopic and bordering on trolling.
Post 17 is trolling.
Post 18 is response to trolling.

It's basically a landslide after the first 5 posts.

Old
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Wow, at this point, people complaining about Mac users is now way more annoying than Mac users themselves. Why does everything have to turn into a flame war?

Regardless, this is an impressive feat by Apple. I never would have guessed 15 years ago that Apple would surpass Microsoft in anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
i dont understand people battling bewteen PC and apple...i use both products and love them both. my computers are all PC's yet i have an iphone, ipod video and hopefully one day an ipad, not to mention my next laptop will be a mac.

Why limit yourself to either company? I think the fact that they're both neck and neck is a good thing...who cares if Apple is worth a few million dollars more than PC or vice versa. Good for both company's, hopefully they both keep kickin ass so i have plenty of toys to play with
This guy knows what's up

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

vCash: 263
post 46 is a careful analysis of trolling vs. on topic posts. does this count as an on topic or trolling subject matter post?

"Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception." - Carl Sagan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
invictus

Random question: Why do any people compare Apple products to PC's? I mean, Apple makes the software and sells it on its own computers. There is no such thing as a microsoft laptop or desktop, is there? (serious question, every few years I just buy a dell from walmart, lol). So, if one company controls the entire process, it makes no sense to compare it to a different company when it is just Dell, Compaq, Acer, whoever who are utilizing microsoft stuff on their different quality platforms.

Or maybe I'm missing the point here.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:05 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Random question: Why do any people compare Apple products to PC's? I mean, Apple makes the software and sells it on its own computers. There is no such thing as a microsoft laptop or desktop, is there? (serious question, every few years I just buy a dell from walmart, lol). So, if one company controls the entire process, it makes no sense to compare it to a different company when it is just Dell, Compaq, Acer, whoever who are utilizing microsoft stuff on their different quality platforms.

Or maybe I'm missing the point here.
It's actually a valid point. However, up until recently, hardware between the two were not compatible. Now that they are it becomes personal preference. I think what most people take issue with is how Apple essentially markets the same computer as "trendy, hip, cool" when in fact it costs much more and has nowhere near the same hardware.

It's as if you have two identical cars, a base model and an equipped model. Apple has somehow managed, through their marketing or just overall effort to convince people that the base model is better, despite paying more. To casual observers it seems strange.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote