HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames will stick with Iginla and Sutter. Assistant GM to come?

Old
05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
sureloss

vCash: 50
Flames will stick with Iginla and Sutter. Assistant GM to come?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Flames+...#ixzz0p6Bkh33L

Quote:
Darryl Sutter is safe.

Jarome Iginla, too.

On Thursday, Calgary Flames president Ken King quashed whatever lingering speculation remained that his under-fire general manager and/or sputtering star captain/right-winger will be employed anywhere but the Pengrowth Saddledome this winter.

In a seismic shift in policy, however, Sutter is now to be given assistance in the hockey operations end of the organization and one or possibly two hires are expected shortly.

One of the main criticisms of the Sutter regime has been the conspicuous absence of an authoritative, alternative hockey voice to lend perspective and balance to the decision-making process.

Doug Soetaert lasted one season in the assistant GM role, in 2005-2006, and the position has remained vacant since.

King disputes the widespread belief Sutter runs the whole building as he sees fit, at his whim, but the fact that help is on the way is the clearest acknowledgement yet that the situation as is isn’t working properly.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz0p6GMBNON

sureloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:19 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Quote:
In a seismic shift in policy, however, Sutter is now to be given assistance in the hockey operations end of the organization and one or possibly two hires are expected shortly.

Quote:
Calgary Hitmen general manager Kelly Kisio, who’s done a wonderful job keeping the junior team consistently competitive, is a prime candidate for promotion and would have to be considered a front-runner to move upstairs.

Interesting.

No surprise to hear Iginla is staying. I'm glad to hear it, though.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:28 PM
TnT

well that should put an end to any Iginla rumours hopefully. I'm really curious who the Flames are planning to hire, the article mentions 1-2 so Kisio and ?

TnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:38 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
IMO I think it's great news, it'll be interesting to see what sutter does to dig the organization out of this hole

Edit: Sutter and his assistants

Last edited by tmurfin: 05-27-2010 at 02:15 AM.
tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Two hires, eh?

Well Kisio has been rumoured for a while.

Maybe Brian Sutter is the other one?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Noori

I hope they didn't just tell him 'you have one more year to fix this,' otherwise, I foresee more panic moves.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:01 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I hope they didn't just tell him 'you have one more year to fix this,' otherwise, I foresee more panic moves.
more panic moves?

Sutters moves were not panic moves. He did them in a last ditch effort to save the season after everyone had been screaming about how he hadn't done anything. He was not paniced, just a little desperate.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:17 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

From another article (by George Johnson), but I thought this was an interesting tidbit on Steve Yzerman:

Quote:
If the Calgary Flames ever harboured an interest in bringing him aboard, they left it way too late.

A shame, in that he reportedly had a very real interest in them.
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz0p6V1fC5d

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:44 AM
mrdonkey

Yzerman was not the right fit for the Flames, he'll have a much better slate to work with in Tampa. Kisio is the guy I want taking over.

As for this mystery second assistant... Conroy? I have no idea, could be someone completely out of the blue for all I know. Sounds like it's not even a given that there will be two, but it sounds like Kisio is coming on board in an assistant role for sure.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:54 AM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Kisio is the guy I want taking over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
As for this mystery second assistant... Conroy? I have no idea, could be someone completely out of the blue for all I know. Sounds like it's not even a given that there will be two, but it sounds like Kisio is coming on board in an assistant role for sure.
Conroy still wants to play...

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:12 AM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Nice argument.

Quote:
Conroy still wants to play...
Doesn't mean there's a team out there that will sign him.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Disappointing to see Sutter given another year; it's highly unlikely anything good will come of it. But if next years team must suffer through another extended losing streak or just a long stretch of poor play, hopefully they do it at the beginning of the season, or at the very least, after the trade deadline.

It will be interesting though, to see the effect, if any, an assistant GM might have on the team and Darryl. How valuable would his opinion really be with regards to prospects, trades, immediate roster concerns etc. But if they can somehow get Sutter to be a bit more patient with his roster and in making trades, then it could turn out to be a pretty good move.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Disappointing to see Sutter given another year; it's highly unlikely anything good will come of it. But if next years team must suffer through another extended losing streak or just a long stretch of poor play, hopefully they do it at the beginning of the season, or at the very least, after the trade deadline.

It will be interesting though, to see the effect, if any, an assistant GM might have on the team and Darryl. How valuable would his opinion really be with regards to prospects, trades, immediate roster concerns etc. But if they can somehow get Sutter to be a bit more patient with his roster and in making trades, then it could turn out to be a pretty good move.
1) He continues to sell the future to save his job
2) Hopefully his assistants knows how to evaluate talent so they can help him...Sutter can certainly make deals.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

He's not doing the job properly so he needs an assistant?

If they're forcing an assistant on him, then the leadership of the Flames are morons. If Sutter suggesting it saved his job, the Flames fell for it.

My suggestion would have been, fire Sutter then consider Kisio.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Fire Brunet*

It doesnt say explicitly that Iginla is a keeper

No??

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
more panic moves?

Sutters moves were not panic moves. He did them in a last ditch effort to save the season after everyone had been screaming about how he hadn't done anything. He was not paniced, just a little desperate.
The crap he got for Phaneuf says otherwise. There were GM's that did not know Phaneuf was even on the block. Also picking up Kotalik

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 09:46 AM
GoFlames

So I read through the lines that if an assistant can not help fix Sutter and his knee jerk moves (Boyd, Staios, Kotalik etc) then he will be in the dog house and out. Maybe a guy like Kisio would be worth a look. Just not the last Sutter for the love of all thigns holy. This team needs non complacent keep it in the family crap. They need people who can tell Sutter to stick it whern a move makes no sense. Crossing my fingers for 1: A guy like Kisio. 2: A real play maker for Iginla. I would lvoe to see Tanguay and if Langjkow can bounce back there should be no problems on that front. I am most curious about the backup goalie, like every other year.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Grannys

Can we now please end all the Kostitsyn brothers for Iginla talk, I want non such mad talk in my presence.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
RipThisJoint

Much like what happened in Edmonton; this move to bring in an assistant GM is above Sutter's head. I think it's a kind way to keep an eye on what Sutter does while not having to fire him.

RipThisJoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:08 PM
DJ Doublecheese

I find it interesting that they announce this right after Yzerman was hired by Tampa. Maybe Calgary wanted Yzerman but lost out to Tampa?

DJ Doublecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons View Post
He's not doing the job properly so he needs an assistant?

If they're forcing an assistant on him, then the leadership of the Flames are morons. If Sutter suggesting it saved his job, the Flames fell for it.

My suggestion would have been, fire Sutter then consider Kisio.
There is nothing wrong with having an assistant. Positive move, not negative.

Running an NHL team is very complicated and in hindsight an assistant should have been brought in after the lockout. Bringing in an assistant is the right thing to do. Love him or hate him, but Burke delegating tasks to Nonis makes him a better GM. Would Detroit be as successful as they have been without Nill?

Quote:
Much like what happened in Edmonton; this move to bring in an assistant GM is above Sutter's head. I think it's a kind way to keep an eye on what Sutter does while not having to fire him.
I'd suspect its coming from over Sutters head, but I think its ridiculous to imply the team wants a spy for what Sutter is doing. There appears to have always been open dialogue between Sutter and King, I don't think Sutter tries to hide the decisions he makes.

I'd say its difficult for a guy like Sutter to admit he needs more help. He strikes me as the type of person that would repeatedly tell King he can handle the GM duties on his own. He got out of coaching to focus on being a GM. He's a very proud guy but sometimes its hard for people like that to ask for help or admit they need help.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
RipThisJoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
I'd suspect its coming from over Sutters head, but I think its ridiculous to imply the team wants a spy for what Sutter is doing. There appears to have always been open dialogue between Sutter and King, I don't think Sutter tries to hide the decisions he makes.

I'd say its difficult for a guy like Sutter to admit he needs more help. He strikes me as the type of person that would repeatedly tell King he can handle the GM duties on his own. He got out of coaching to focus on being a GM. He's a very proud guy but sometimes its hard for people like that to ask for help or admit they need help.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a spy situation.

What I was saying was much like the Lowe/Katz relationship; King/Sutter seem to have the same relationship. But Lowe certainly made some questionable moves and now so has Sutter. Neither wanted to fire their friend but having another capable person there to bounce ideas off of is certainly important. I also think King is looking for Sutter to move up again in the organization in the near future as there have been rumours that King will be moving on within the next couple of years. I'm certainly not saying this is gospel truth but where there's smoke there's fire...

Old
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
ShyCheetah

As an outsider I'm surpised more Flame fans aren't up in arms over the news about Sutter. To me this is just a band aid delaying the inevitable and allowing an oppertunity for Sutter to make more 'PANIC' moves. And yes panic is akin to desperate in my books. I suppose the role of the new assistants is to prevent any more franchise crippling moves. I'm begining to wonder how good the Sutter kool aid tastes.

Shy

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Doublecheese View Post
I find it interesting that they announce this right after Yzerman was hired by Tampa. Maybe Calgary wanted Yzerman but lost out to Tampa?
Perhaps Yzerman didn't want the Assistant GM job, and wanted the real thing instead?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
RipThisJoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
As an outsider I'm surpised more Flame fans aren't up in arms over the news about Sutter. To me this is just a band aid delaying the inevitable and allowing an oppertunity for Sutter to make more 'PANIC' moves. And yes panic is akin to desperate in my books. I suppose the role of the new assistants is to prevent any more franchise crippling moves. I'm begining to wonder how good the Sutter kool aid tastes.

Shy
In 2006, he failed to pick up Samsonov for pennies on the dollar. Look where he ended up and look what came of it. In 2007, he did the Ference/Kobasew trade for what amounted to 33 games of Brad Stuart. In 2008, he failed to pick up a backup goaltender and wound up with us playing Kipper in all but six games. In 2009, He ships one of our last bargaining chips in Lombardi AND!!! a first rounder for $5.5 worth of suck. In 2010, he ships our last bargaining chip in Phaneuf for scrap heaps. Now I like White but he's and RFA who will likely cost us 3.0 if we are lucky. Terrible asset management. HE ships the $5.5 bag of suck for Kotalik and Higgins. We are now stuck with Kotalik for two more years at $ 3.0 per. And to top it off he picks up $2.5 Steve Staios for a 3rd and a defenseman who is a Steve Staios clone.

I was a big-time supporter of Sutter until a couple years ago. Right now, I don't know how anyone is not severely questioning him at the moment. Other then, as you say, the kool-aid. And let's not even get into the drafting record this team has recently...