HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames will stick with Iginla and Sutter. Assistant GM to come?

Old
05-29-2010, 05:52 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipThisJoint View Post
I watched every single game, mate. I watched Regehr struggle with White just like I saw him struggle with Dion. Difference being that White is smarter then Dion - at this stage - positionally. Kipper was still being asked to make ridiculous saves every time Reg was on the ice. Perhaps I'm not the one who is delusional?

I agree that Reg should be sent out while he still has value. Defensive defenseman start their decline around 30 years old. Guess how old Reg is? And you make a decent point about Bourque and Kipper being brought in for 2nd rounders. Difference is this team is no longer in a win now mode and Darryl has still sent picks out in trades. Just look at the Staios trade.

You can call me a Debbie Downer all you want if it makes you feel better. But the Debbie Downer will be when this team is stuck in 13th or 14th place with no prospects, aging veterans and same damn GM calling the shots. That's the Debbie Downer...
Did I miss something?

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Nothing.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:13 AM
RipThisJoint

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Did I miss something?
This team just missed the playoffs with a core that is 30+ while not having much in the way of picks. I guess if you missed all that; open up your eyes.

RipThisJoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipThisJoint View Post
This team just missed the playoffs with a core that is 30+ while not having much in the way of picks. I guess if you missed all that; open up your eyes.
yes missed the playoffs with a large number of players having sub-par seasons and our top 3 centermen for the first 2/3 of the season having pretty close to career worst seasons... these are the things people like you seem to ignore... they look at the end result and dont ask themselves why... the thing is a centerman is generally the catalyst for any line offensively... when Jokinen, Langkow and Conroy were all in the dumps pretty much the whole season its hard for them to be the catalyst needed... I know you have a hate on for Stajan but look at it this way... Stajan will be better than Jokinen was for us... and Backlund will do better than Conroy did... and chances are Langkow will rebound... if our top 3 centermen are better than they were last year its going to create more offense as a result... and like them or hate them but Hagman and Kotalik in the top 6 opening night is better than Moss and Dawes... this forward group has improved as a result of those trades and that combined with what should still be an excellent penalty kill, good defense and solid goaltending we have a chance to make the playoffs... i know objectivity isn't your thing... but a handful more goals and the Flames don't have that 9 game losing streak and shatter their confidence

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
yes missed the playoffs with a large number of players having sub-par seasons and our top 3 centermen for the first 2/3 of the season having pretty close to career worst seasons... these are the things people like you seem to ignore... they look at the end result and dont ask themselves why... the thing is a centerman is generally the catalyst for any line offensively... when Jokinen, Langkow and Conroy were all in the dumps pretty much the whole season its hard for them to be the catalyst needed... I know you have a hate on for Stajan but look at it this way... Stajan will be better than Jokinen was for us... and Backlund will do better than Conroy did... and chances are Langkow will rebound... if our top 3 centermen are better than they were last year its going to create more offense as a result... and like them or hate them but Hagman and Kotalik in the top 6 opening night is better than Moss and Dawes... this forward group has improved as a result of those trades and that combined with what should still be an excellent penalty kill, good defense and solid goaltending we have a chance to make the playoffs... i know objectivity isn't your thing... but a handful more goals and the Flames don't have that 9 game losing streak and shatter their confidence
Well said, Lunatik. That could be quite possibly one of your best posts in some time.

I agree with your sentiments.

Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:28 PM
flames123

Quote:
Definitely a good way to look at it. Great post.

Looks at the Pens success with the "big 3" down the middle and **** on the wings.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:43 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I just do not see Langkow being effective anymore and his contract is sooooooo horrible. He has been in decline mode for a couple of seasons now. He's not a physical presence, makes poor decisions on the backend, and his speed has been reduced.

Backlund still has a ton to prove, hopefully he can play top six. But right now I see you being too positive.

Even if Backlund is awesome, we still have that horrible contract playing third line minutes.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I just do not see Langkow being effective anymore and his contract is sooooooo horrible. He has been in decline mode for a couple of seasons now. He's not a physical presence, makes poor decisions on the backend, and his speed has been reduced.

Backlund still has a ton to prove, hopefully he can play top six. But right now I see you being too positive.

Even if Backlund is awesome, we still have that horrible contract playing third line minutes.
you realize Langkow's decline started the exact moment he shattered his hand right? prior to blocking that shot with his hand he was on pace for 25+ goals and 60+ points... then he shatters his hand and comes back too early from injury (because of the fact Flames were dropping like flies with injuries)... then as he was coming around in the playoffs he broke his other hand blocking another shot... I believe he ended up having one of those hands surgically repaired...

I'm no doctor but I could very easily see a person in a lot of discomfort for a year after surgery on your hand... i know when my hands hurt from carpel tunnel i can't do anything right with them...

if Langkow can bounce back to 20 goals and 50 points (which I think he will) then his contract is only about 500k too much because of all the other things he does for us... and let's be honest putting Langkow between 2 guys in the middle of career worst years in Higgins and Kotalik after the trades wasn't exactly the smartest move by Sutter

you really come off across as a person who doesn't or can't watch alot of the games and relies on the box scores for alot of his information

Old
05-31-2010, 11:45 PM
flames123

Quote:

He was on pace for 42 point season. A season where everyone was underachieving. Getting 45+ points out of him along with stellar defensive play next year is not a stretch. Overpaid but not atrociously.

Old
06-01-2010, 11:06 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
if Langkow can bounce back to 20 goals and 50 points (which I think he will) then his contract is only about 500k too much because of all the other things he does for us... and let's be honest putting Langkow between 2 guys in the middle of career worst years in Higgins and Kotalik after the trades wasn't exactly the smartest move by Sutter

you really come off across as a person who doesn't or can't watch alot of the games and relies on the box scores for alot of his information
Yeah because I use soooo many stats in my analysis, kind of like you. Give me a break. You seem to ignore everything I say. He is not a leader, bad on the backend, and his speed is looking worse every year. Regardless of his point totals, I don't like him on this team and I don't like his contract. If we did not have him then we could have, potentially, a REAL #1 centre. When you pay a guy 4mil+ you should be able to rely on them to provide some results. B. Sutter figures he should be treated as a team leader so he sitcks him with weaker wingers. Guess what nothing happened except we saw Higgins can be very valuable defensivly and that the three can cycle. Look at other players who make langkows money and then tell me where you think Langkow lies in that pack...the bottom. Oh and I would rather see Stajan with Iggy than Langkow, at this point I see them having more chemistry.

I watched all televised games last year except for about 8, I've been a flames fan since I could walk.

How much pain Langkow was in you, and I, and everyone else on this board can only guess. All we can do is judge his play, and it sucked.

Last edited by The Gnome: 06-01-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old
06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is a very good post, and it is fundamentally true in everything you said. However, that still one leaves one major problem. It is not addressing any major holes that the Flames need to be a contender. IMO, the Flames were good enough to get into the playoffs this year, and next year I think B. Sutter will them have playing even better hockey with another year of his system being implemented. But they still cannot compete with Chicago or San Jose or even Vancouver. This team needs an elite centre before Iggy really gets too old. Then they need another top winger.

LW __ C __ RW Iggy
LW Hagman/Backlund C Stajan RW Bourque

This is a very good second line to have, but with the exception of maybe Bourque, none of these guys have any business on a top line that should be able to rival the Sedins or Kane/Toews or Thorton/Heatley/Marleau. They need to fill those 2 spots on the top line with some high end guys.

Also, I wouldn't be apposed to dropping Stajan down to the 3rd line and move Backlund to centre the 2nd so he can develope. He only got better with the more games he played. Of course I would only do this if the Flames can get a top line C and dump Langs in the process.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
This is a very good post, and it is fundamentally true in everything you said. However, that still one leaves one major problem. It is not addressing any major holes that the Flames need to be a contender. IMO, the Flames were good enough to get into the playoffs this year, and next year I think B. Sutter will them have playing even better hockey with another year of his system being implemented. But they still cannot compete with Chicago or San Jose or even Vancouver. This team needs an elite centre before Iggy really gets too old. Then they need another top winger.

LW __ C __ RW Iggy

This is a very good second line to have, but with the exception of maybe Bourque, none of these guys have any business on a top line that should be able to rival the Sedins or Kane/Toews or Thorton/Heatley/Marleau. They need to fill those 2 spots on the top line with some high end guys.

Also, I wouldn't be apposed to dropping Stajan down to the 3rd line and move Backlund to centre the 2nd so he can develope. He only got better with the more games he played. Of course I would only do this if the Flames can get a top line C and dump Langs in the process.

I like your train of thought. We cannot get it done with either Stajan, Langkow or Backlund (unless he pulls some heroics). We need a solid 1st line, but I doubt that contending will happen unless we can offload some contracts first. Then if we could somehow land a Number 1 for centre and draw tanguay back in then that could be a great first line.

Only problem is Langkow has to go...There could be a few teams with interest. Maybe someone with a young core, low cap and in need of veteren savy. I like Atlanta.

How much would tanguay want? hmmmmm...

Old
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Yeah because I use soooo many stats in my analysis, kind of like you. Give me a break. You seem to ignore everything I say. He is not a leader, bad on the backend, and his speed is looking worse every year. Regardless of his point totals, I don't like him on this team and I don't like his contract. If we did not have him then we could have, potentially, a REAL #1 centre. When you pay a guy 4mil+ you should be able to rely on them to provide some results. B. Sutter figures he should be treated as a team leader so he sitcks him with weaker wingers. Guess what nothing happened except we saw Higgins can be very valuable defensivly and that the three can cycle. Look at other players who make langkows money and then tell me where you think Langkow lies in that pack...the bottom. Oh and I would rather see Stajan with Iggy than Langkow, at this point I see them having more chemistry.

I watched all televised games last year except for about 8, I've been a flames fan since I could walk.

How much pain Langkow was in you, and I, and everyone else on this board can only guess. All we can do is judge his play, and it sucked.
the bolded part is why I don't listen to anything you say... it is just one of many examples that shows how miniscule your knowledge of hockey is... saying Langkow is poor in the defensive zone is like saying Angelina Jolie needs lip implants

Old
06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post

LW __ C __ RW Iggy

why would it fix the problem? I was talking about what will likely happen and not what the Flames need to be a contender... I just wanted to point out its not all doom and gloom like certain posters seem to think

Old
06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
the bolded part is why I don't listen to anything you say... it is just one of many examples that shows how miniscule your knowledge of hockey is... saying Langkow is poor in the defensive zone is like saying Angelina Jolie needs lip implants
Yes I bow to the Hockey Guru You seem to know everything. I laugh at the fact that you think Langkow is reliable in his own end. Have you ever played hockey? Do you know what Centremen are supposed to do back there?

DumbA$$

Old
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Yes I bow to the Hockey Guru You seem to know everything. I laugh at the fact that you think Langkow is reliable in his own end. Have you ever played hockey? Do you know what Centremen are supposed to do back there?

DumbA$$
I am far from a Guru and I don't know everything... but I guess if we are grading on a curve you do make everyone else look like a hockey god

Old
06-01-2010, 05:37 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I am far from a Guru and I don't know everything... but I guess if we are grading on a curve you do make everyone else look like a hockey god
Langkow spent most of his time last season floating up at the top of the crease only picking someone up when they floated by his fat a$$. I almost never saw him digging in the corners helping the dmen. His transition is horrible, the guy is the last one to realize a breakout is happening.

Old
06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
RipThisJoint

Quote:
I'm not ignoring your point. I've mentioned that very fact numerous times. Mainly about Iggy, who has carried this team on his back and did so during the great November stretch. But when he went cold; he took all the blame. Plenty seemed to blow off how bad other players were. I absolutely agree.

I don't have a hate-on for Stajan. I have a hate-on for Stajan as our number one centre. Did we not already learn that when we gave Langkow first-line money? My worry here is that we are going to wind up with a $3.5 3rd-line centre for the next few years.

And leave out the crap about me being not being objective. That ********! If anything I'm being over-objective. But like Mike Rogers said the other day; basing all your hopes on the hope all these guys rebound is not what smart organizations do. It's what the Oilers did and look where it led them.

RipThisJoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Oh well said. I am surprised i missed the post saying Langkow is a liability in his own end FFS. Egad!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:45 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Langkow spent most of his time last season floating up at the top of the crease only picking someone up when they floated by his fat a$$. I almost never saw him digging in the corners helping the dmen. His transition is horrible, the guy is the last one to realize a breakout is happening.
The entire team floated the last half of the season except for Kipper, Gio, Borque, Dawes and bottom line guys... get over it. Let's move onto next year.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:21 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
The entire team floated the last half of the season except for Kipper, Gio, Borque, Dawes and bottom line guys... get over it. Let's move onto next year.
I'll get over it with some different players.

Axe conroy and Langkow. Then build a time machine and bring boyd back.

Old
06-02-2010, 01:22 AM
flames123

Quote:

DumbA$$
What is wrong with you? Are you being sarcastic? I sure hope so because if you're not you really need to find a new sport to actually FOLLOW. Watch some games every once in a while and then come talk.

I am just so happy to have you and that RipHisJoint guy on here...

Old
06-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Pardy Time

Quote:
I'll get over it with some different players.

Axe conroy and Langkow. Then build a time machine and bring boyd back.
I find it funny that you dirt Langkow, but you wanna bring Boyd back. Langkow is a big part of the team and he's still a great player. Boyd is pretty much useless. I mentioned it in another thread, but until he can put on some weight, he'll never be more than a fourth liner/13th forward. I don't understand why some people think Dustin freakin' Boyd is so great.

Pardy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:32 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardy Time View Post
I find it funny that you dirt Langkow, but you wanna bring Boyd back. Langkow is a big part of the team and he's still a great player. Boyd is pretty much useless. I mentioned it in another thread, but until he can put on some weight, he'll never be more than a fourth liner/13th forward. I don't understand why some people think Dustin freakin' Boyd is so great.
Great opinion...One I agree with. My only point about Boyd is that if Sutter was going to give him a shot by signing him to that one-way then he should actually get a shot. Not tossed around like a dirty old rag playing with different players every night and getting sent down. He should have been the fourth line centre and Conroy should have been on the panel. In Boyd's first season up he showed promise but was much to light on his feet and passive. This last year he bulked up a bit and was a little more solid though he still needed to improve, plus his defensive game stepped up. So we can all see he has potential, and is getting better, is only 22, and with a dirt low cap hit. What does the coach and GM do...Mishandle his development. Instead we use Conroy who is at the end of his career and ship out one of our only young talents who has potential...boo.

Look at how other teams develop young talent. For example Devin Setoguchi in SJ. I'm not saying Boyd is as good by any streatch. But when Setoguchi first started out he had to earn his stripes playing on the bottom six. They kept him around and delt with the few growing pains he had and now look at him.

Old
06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Great opinion...One I agree with. My only point about Boyd is that if Sutter was going to give him a shot by signing him to that one-way then he should actually get a shot. Not tossed around like a dirty old rag playing with different players every night and getting sent down. He should have been the fourth line centre and Conroy should have been on the panel. In Boyd's first season up he showed promise but was much to light on his feet and passive. This last year he bulked up a bit and was a little more solid though he still needed to improve, plus his defensive game stepped up. So we can all see he has potential, and is getting better, is only 22, and with a dirt low cap hit. What does the coach and GM do...Mishandle his development. Instead we use Conroy who is at the end of his career and ship out one of our only young talents who has potential...boo.

Look at how other teams develop young talent. For example Devin Setoguchi in SJ. I'm not saying Boyd is as good by any streatch. But when Setoguchi first started out he had to earn his stripes playing on the bottom six. They kept him around and delt with the few growing pains he had and now look at him.
Oh and I forgot about Langkow. I am sure he'll be here next year, so I hope he rebounds. I have not been impressed with him the last 2 years mostly because of his defensive play and leadership. If you get the money, play like you earned it. I know everyone sucked last year, but he needs to be more of a catalyst and leader.