HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Realignment Approved by BOG

Old
03-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Kessley Snipes

vCash: 500
Realignment Approved by BOG

Stupid IMO

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Quarter
Nullius in verba

Expansion. Glorious, glorious expansion.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Kessley Snipes

the uneven playoffs really annoy me

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
MakeTheIronSing

gross.

except for more red wings exposure.

welcome back to the circus detroit.

bruins vs red wings will be fun to watch.

there's no reason to think the leafs can't finish between 2nd and 5th come next year.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Stephen

I like how the Tri-State area Atlantic Division Teams didn't want to go down to Florida so they get grouped in with a division in the North East. What a joke.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Tak7

Worth noting that this re-alignment setup is valid for 2 full seasons before they re-visit it and decide whether or not they want to keep it or try for something a bit different.

So it's very much trial and error.

But yeah - I'm not happy with the idea that some divisions get an easier chance of the playoffs than others. Even with the "wildcard", the odds are heavily stacked in favor of the "Western" teams.

As frustrating as it is right now, just be glad we aren't Florida or Tampa Bay - they must be fuming that this thing got approved, regardless of the TOR/MTL snowbirds they are guaranteed.

ALSO - the new "North Eastern" division is a joke; almost no travel between any of those teams, they are all grouped up together.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
MakeTheIronSing

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added as a new wrinkle.

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the Conference Championship series.

The two divisional champions in each conference will then play in the conference finals to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Worth noting that this re-alignment setup is valid for 2 full seasons before they re-visit it and decide whether or not they want to keep it or try for something a bit different.

So it's very much trial and error.

But yeah - I'm not happy with the idea that some divisions get an easier chance of the playoffs than others. Even with the "wildcard", the odds are heavily stacked in favor of the "Western" teams.

As frustrating as it is right now, just be glad we aren't Florida or Tampa Bay - they must be fuming that this thing got approved, regardless of the TOR/MTL snowbirds they are guaranteed.
Those guys got orphaned because those pansies in New York and Philadelphia don't like flying...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
I like the fact that there should be more divisional playoffs; 4 divisional series guaranteed in the first round, up to 4 in the second round.

I don't like the fact that the third round is a conference championship, I was hoping that it would be re-seeded based on overall points allowing for more possibilities for the cup finals.

I'm not crazy about the fact that if the two best teams in the league are from the same division, one would be out in the first 2 rounds but I guess that's a casualty to having more divisional emphasis.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
How does the "wildcard" work for playoffs?

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:18 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
I don't like this format regardless of how they group the teams . I understand that they're trying to cut down the travel but why not try to rejig what we have now ? There's never going to be a perfect format due to where the teams are located but how does a 16/14 split of conferences strike the big thinkers as a logical solution .

The league needs to try to level the playing field not set up conferences where it's easier to make the playoffs in one as compared to the other .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Excellent....love when Detroit comes to town.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Lovely.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Those guys got orphaned because those pansies in New York and Philadelphia don't like flying...
Yep, no doubt.

Like I said - if there are any teams that you would categorize as "big losers" in this realignment thing, it would be Florida and Tampa.

I'd be furious if I was in their shoes right now. They got screwed nicely

Old
03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
stamkos

Dont like it! more changes, too many changes all the time. Just leave **** alone for once. Ultra boring games in florida.

stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Yep, no doubt.

Like I said - if there are any teams that you would categorize as "big losers" in this realignment thing, it would be Florida and Tampa.

I'd be furious if I was in their shoes right now. They got screwed nicely
Disagree. Players may dislike it, but the respective organizations love it.

Should get more fans out to their games having 4/6 of the Original Six coming to town.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
beleaf67

NHL/NHLPA are couting on 2 more teams joing the league in 2 years... I hope one of them will be Quebec City

Great to play Red Wings again, not so happy about Florida teams though...

beleaf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
How does the "wildcard" work for playoffs?
So, numerically the playoffs still work the same:

*16 total teams compete
*8 teams from each "conference"
or
*4 teams from each new division.

The top 3 teams in the division qualify automatically for the playoffs, to make up 12 teams total.

The remaining 4 spots are the "wildcard" spots - given to the highest placed finishers in each conference. (REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY ARE IN THE DIVISION).

SO, it's conceivable that a strong division, like the "North East" division (Pitt, Philly, NYR, etc), could have 5 teams in the playoffs, while the Leafs division could only have 3 teams in the playoffs. Either way, the "EAST" has 8 teams.

Division leaders face wild-card teams in playoff seeding, so the wild-card counts as the lowest seed.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Ugh, I'm not a fan. I don't like 4 divisions, or wild card teams.

Yuck.

The Brewmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Disagree. Players may dislike it, but the respective organizations love it.

Should get more fans out to their games having 4/6 of the Original Six coming to town.
You have to factor in the desire of those market's appeal for "snowbirds" coming in for their home games, versus the travel.

It'll be a lot more travel for those 2 teams in particular now.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I Believe

Don't get why the East has both 8 team divisions. Couldn't they put one in the west? Could've still had 15 teams per conference that way

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Sergei Berezin

So stupid. They really couldn't find anything better?

At least we see Detroit 6 times a year.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Love it.

The 16/14 split does not bother me in the slightest. I want the Leafs to be Cup contenders, not playoff contenders.

And the regular season will be that much more entertaining with regular visits from Detroit and every western conference team. And the road trips to Detroit (and Columbus)?! Forget about it!

This alignment is amazing. Sure it would be nice if the conferences were perfectly even, but the prospect of divisional playoffs is just too good for me to care.

Bravo NHL!

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Baarle
I'm Sorry

The playoff set up is a joke with the wildcards. A team in a stacked division may not qualify if they finish 4th because some **** team in the easy division picks up a bunch of easy points.

Baarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
Don't get why the East has both 8 team divisions. Couldn't they put one in the west? Could've still had 15 teams per conference that way
15 teams per conference would put us back at the current system that the league is using now.

Which begs the question - what's wrong with the current system..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

If Winnipeg was so adamant about coming to the West, and Detroit wanted to come to the East, then move those 2 teams, do a bit of a division re-shuffle, and move on.

Not sure I understand the need for such drastic changes. But then again, many of us were saying the same thing when they changed the old divisional format to the new one many years ago...