HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan McDonagh will decide after attending Rangers prospects camp

Old
05-28-2010, 01:50 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Ryan McDonagh will decide after attending Rangers prospects camp

Here is the latest on Ryan McDonagh

Quote:
There's a chance we won't know the fate of another standout defenseman, Ryan McDonagh, until after he attends a prospects camp for the New York Rangers in July.

McDonagh was a first-round draft pick of Montreal in 2007, but his rights were traded to New York last June. He's now waiting to see where he fits in with the Rangers before deciding if he will sign with them or return for his senior season.

"Ryan is conducting business as if he's coming back,'' Eaves said. "He's training. He's going to school. He's reaching out to his teammates as their captain. He's controlling what he can control.''

McDonagh didn't immediately respond to a request for an interview.

Eaves said the prospects camp — college players pay their own way, as per NCAA rules — will be an important moment for McDonagh. That's when he figures to sit down with Rangers officials and get a lay of the land regarding his future.

"It's totally a business decision,'' Eaves said.

Eaves will wait as long as he has to if it means having McDonagh — a dominant presence on the ice and a respected one off it — come back next season.
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

McDonagh has never been to a Rangers prospects camp. Coming to New York will allow him to check out the facilities. He never has been associated with the Rangers. Montreal drafted him and was traded to the Rangers last June 30 when the prospects camp had already started. Meet with Rangers brass face to face. Adam Graves usually conducts the camp and runs the players through the drills/scrimmages. Maybe have Mike Richter talk to his fellow Wisconsin player.

The Rangers have discussed financial terms with his advisor. That shouldn't be a problem with the entry level cap system. Paying his own way to attend the camp is a good sign.

Sounds like McDonagh is attending summer school. He'll need those credits in the future when he turns pro this summer

Glen Sather is really good with players. He said the right things to Mats Zuccarello Assen

Quote:
“The Rangers told me I would have a good chance to make the team and that’s what I plan to do. I’m going back to Sweden to train with MoDo (his Elite League team) and then come to New York for camp.”
Quote:
I’ve talked to a lot of players and they said the Rangers have such a great tradition and it will be a great place to play. I’m really proud they wanted me.” Among those players were former Rangers and MoDo teammates Markus Naslund and Nicklas Sundstrom.
Quote:
In his conversation with Rangers GM Glen Sather, he said, the club president told him the travel was easier in New York than with Western teams, and that sentiment was echoed by Ole-Kristian Tollefson, another Oslo native, who played in Columbus and Philadelphia.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...asen-1.1952777

Even Lee Baldwin mentioned how Russ Courtnall convinced him to sign with the Rangers. Baldwin grew up in the same town of Victoria,British Columbia as the Courtnall brothers. He knows them.

Quote:
"He (Russ Courtnall) really helped me make the decision (to sign with the Rangers)," Baldwin said. "He said it was a great organization and a great city -- one of the best places he had ever played. That really helped me, I think."
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Sounds like McDonagh just wants to feel comfortable in his decision.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 03:35 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

cool. i'm sure he'll do what's best for his career.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
If there's one thing this organization does right, it's knowing how to treat the players.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Sangs
McD-Gilroy

Only about a year away from something like that...

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:21 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Here is the latest on Ryan McDonagh

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

McDonagh has never been to a Rangers prospects camp. Coming to New York will allow him to check out the facilities. He never has been associated with the Rangers. Montreal drafted him and was traded to the Rangers last June 30 when the prospects camp had already started. Meet with Rangers brass face to face. Adam Graves usually conducts the camp and runs the players through the drills/scrimmages. Maybe have Mike Richter talk to his fellow Wisconsin player.

The Rangers have discussed financial terms with his advisor. That shouldn't be a problem with the entry level cap system. Paying his own way to attend the camp is a good sign.

Sounds like McDonagh is attending summer school. He'll need those credits in the future when he turns pro this summer

Glen Sather is really good with players. He said the right things to Mats Zuccarello Assen

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...asen-1.1952777

Even Lee Baldwin mentioned how Russ Courtnall convinced him to sign with the Rangers. Baldwin grew up in the same town of Victoria,British Columbia as the Courtnall brothers. He knows them.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Sounds like McDonagh just wants to feel comfortable in his decision.
Jeez.... this soap opera is making it look like McD is the next Scott Stevens and etc..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers hold their prospects camp right after the draft. Figure Monday June 28. Free agency starts Thursday July 1. The Rangers will probably want a decision sometime that week.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:06 AM
The Mouth

From my sources.. The rangers want McDonagh to play this year Big time, they want him on the big club, they think he is ready.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
From my sources.. The rangers want McDonagh to play this year Big time, they want him on the big club, they think he is ready.
If they think he is ready ala DZ I am cool with that. The future is now. Which makes it even more realistic that they will move Sanguinetti for a Scoring Forward.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:32 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
If that's true, that probably means Sanguinetti is gone.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:49 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Sanguinetti's still 22 years old. He's hardly at the point in his career where it's NHL or pack-your-bags.

I don't see the return you're going to get for him coming close to his potential impact if he ripens another year or two. Don't see the logic in trying to move him, unless we get an unexpected offer.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I"m cool with that as long as they don't rush him. From all accounts, he has the body for the NHL right now, a lot of it will just be adjusting to the change in pace.

I imagine they're hoping he'll develop quickly into that quality physical defensive guy they want right now

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:43 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
If there's one thing this organization does right, it's knowing how to treat the players.
They bought Redden this outfit when he signed to become a Ranger.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:47 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Sanguinetti's still 22 years old. He's hardly at the point in his career where it's NHL or pack-your-bags.

I don't see the return you're going to get for him coming close to his potential impact if he ripens another year or two. Don't see the logic in trying to move him, unless we get an unexpected offer.
He's gotta be demoralized that he hasn't made the team yet year after year while he watches others around him on the team come and go. I mean its really on him to go that extra mile to get on the team and STAY on the team but it can't feel good to get passed over for others. But still I agree, and management has to make him understand its not the end of the world.

Old
05-28-2010, 07:48 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Who Will want him, his stock is almost zero.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:52 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
why ?

first off, what is sanguinettis value ? probably not alot, hes proven nothing really.

and hes only 22.

i would think a guy like girardi would be gone before bob. dan has value and if mcd is ready, i would be happy if he could play dan girardi for less money.

moving danny makes more sense if we need to clear space and open a spot.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Who Will want him, his stock is almost zero.
dont think that is true but if so play him. He could break out , he's a kid and Dmen develop slower. Mind you he is a All star in AHL

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
why ?

first off, what is sanguinettis value ? probably not alot, hes proven nothing really.

and hes only 22.

i would think a guy like girardi would be gone before bob. dan has value and if mcd is ready, i would be happy if he could play dan girardi for less money.

moving danny makes more sense if we need to clear space and open a spot.
He has value because he's a proven NHL defenseman. Something Sanguinetti isn't. We don't have the defense to risk giving up Girardi (Yet) considering that Girardi broke up so many 2 on 1's that if I had to give you a dollar for each one he broke up I'd be dirt broke and in debt. The ability to play hockey and to play in the NHL are two different things. We've all seen the soft almost uncaring play of Sangs in the prospect games and sometimes in camp. If a player can't up his compete level for camp for a team that he's dreamed of playing for since he was a kid, I'm not sure what will light that fire.

All that negative being said, I still have a lot of hope for Sangs because if he does decide to compete for the spot I see him putting Gilroy in the dust.

Also we seem to be a little log jammed at D.

Staal - Rozsival
MDZ - Girardi
Redden - Gilroy
McD - Sanguinetti
Potential UFA D man - Lee Baldwin (Not saying he's gonna make the team but he's an outside shot to challenge and probably make it the year after)

In a perfect world, Redden is in the AHL... forever, Rozsival gets traded for a 2nd rounder, but the problem is then our D looks thin with no serious veteran presence on the blue line unless we sign a UFA D-man. (Hamhuis/Michalek)

Example :
Staal - Hamhuis
MDZ - Girardi
Gilroy - Sanguinetti/McD
Sanguinetti/McD

That defensive line up does NOT have us getting to the play offs unless someone very much surprises everyone. Regardless I'm not so sure we are getting to the play-offs next year so I wouldn't be totally opposed to something like this but keep in mind you can totally ruin prospects by doing the "Trial By Fire" sorta thing when you bring them into the league.

Old
05-28-2010, 08:20 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Assuming that Redden gets banished to the minors and Girardi is resigned, I can see McD taking the Redden spot. Then it's a matter of Gilroy vs. Sanguinetti vs. Possibly a Vet D?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:26 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
He has value because he's a proven NHL defenseman. Something Sanguinetti isn't. We don't have the defense to risk giving up Girardi (Yet) considering that Girardi broke up so many 2 on 1's that if I had to give you a dollar for each one he broke up I'd be dirt broke and in debt. The ability to play hockey and to play in the NHL are two different things. We've all seen the soft almost uncaring play of Sangs in the prospect games and sometimes in camp. If a player can't up his compete level for camp for a team that he's dreamed of playing for since he was a kid, I'm not sure what will light that fire.

All that negative being said, I still have a lot of hope for Sangs because if he does decide to compete for the spot I see him putting Gilroy in the dust.

Also we seem to be a little log jammed at D.

Staal - Rozsival
MDZ - Girardi
Redden - Gilroy
McD - Sanguinetti
Potential UFA D man - Lee Baldwin (Not saying he's gonna make the team but he's an outside shot to challenge and probably make it the year after)

In a perfect world, Redden is in the AHL... forever, Rozsival gets traded for a 2nd rounder, but the problem is then our D looks thin with no serious veteran presence on the blue line unless we sign a UFA D-man. (Hamhuis/Michalek)

Example :
Staal - Hamhuis
MDZ - Girardi
Gilroy - Sanguinetti/McD
Sanguinetti/McD

That defensive line up does NOT have us getting to the play offs unless someone very much surprises everyone. Regardless I'm not so sure we are getting to the play-offs next year so I wouldn't be totally opposed to something like this but keep in mind you can totally ruin prospects by doing the "Trial By Fire" sorta thing when you bring them into the league.
In my perfect world Gilroy gets demoted, as does Redden
Don't resign Girardi, sign Michalek, or Volchenkov.
Staal-Sanguinetti
MDZ-Roszival
Michalek- McDonagh

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:29 AM
SML

He's only paying his own way because NCAA rules require it. If he has a strong camp, alot of teams will take notice. It will strengthen his position to play out his senior year and become a free agent. I don't care if the kid grew up a lifelong Rangers fan and wanted nothing more than to play for this team, business wise, he's making the right move.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:45 AM
NYRfan11

I think the Rangers are thinking that they're gonna trade Rozsival cause his value will never be higher, and they could sign a younger, cheaper d-man to replace him (Boychuk, Michalek). In the same vein, I got a feeling Girardi will be moved as part of a package for some sort of secondary scoring (I'm really hoping its Bobby Ryan). And I would try to trade Reds for Horcoff too, just to get rid of him.

Staal-Sangs
MDZ- Boychuk
McD- Gilroy
Eriksson/ vet d-men

I know that D looks WAY too young, but they did it last year and I kind of think they are not afraid to do it again. Its the way of the league these days, McD and Sangs are obv older than MDZ last year. I would bring a vet dman or two to help the situation. Its just that if you trade Rozy and Girardi, you could really save that cap space and use it up front where I think they really want to.

NYRfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
And some say its what this organization does too well.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

staal rosy
girardi mdz
gilroy mcD
eriksson

that's your D next season if ryan decides to go pro. goes along perfectly with the plan to keep the D cheap and spend on the offense. i'm telling you boys the rangers are taking a shot at kovalchuk. they like EC and they love anisimov. those are your top 2 centers next year. That only works when you have a world class winger like gaborik on one line and kovalchuk on the other.

gilroy will get this season to get his game together. if he doesn't he won't be re-signed or he'll be dealt or he'll sign for very cheap and have to battle sanguinetti for a spot if he's still here the following summer. i think bobby gets some games this year. he's first call up and will be ready for full time duty when he's late 23 24 years of age.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:50 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
He's only paying his own way because NCAA rules require it. If he has a strong camp, alot of teams will take notice. It will strengthen his position to play out his senior year and become a free agent. I don't care if the kid grew up a lifelong Rangers fan and wanted nothing more than to play for this team, business wise, he's making the right move.
If that's the case then he's getting traded. He value might be low because he won't sign but then again if he busts his ass off to impress other teams it's a wash and we'll be able to get a return for him.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
rangers1314

Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. From what you read, the brass wants both McD And Valentenko to sign, with McD basically demanding a spot on the NHL roster in exchange for his signature (which in all honesty is the right move. Who in their right mind would trade in being big man on campus in Madison for hartford?) and Valentenko left the canadians because he was stuck in the AHL, so both players are probably of the thought that its either NHL or stay in college/KHL. That means we need 2 roster spots on the back end. Personally I've seen enough of Gilroy, hes a FA after this season anyway so taking what we can get for him now would probably be the right move...But I just have a feeling that Redden will be in the lineup come opening night.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote