HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Was Yzerman picked in spite of his injuries, or because of them?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2004, 11:20 AM
  #1
victor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Was Yzerman picked in spite of his injuries, or because of them?

Was Yzerman picked in spite of his injuries, or because of them?

Injured players can be replaced before the World Cup - with his eye and knee injuries, was Yzerman picked to play, or is he a placeholder?

victor is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 11:26 AM
  #2
Brownies
Registered User
 
Brownies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Writing an Haiku or watching an habs game
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
Was Yzerman picked in spite of his injuries, or because of them?

Injured players can be replaced before the World Cup - with his eye and knee injuries, was Yzerman picked to play, or is he a placeholder?
I don't know, but i hope he won't be able to play. He was a great player, but Canada should take Lecavalier instead of him.

Brownies is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 11:36 AM
  #3
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Like I said on another thread - they picked based on favorites not based on merit. Yzerman was a great player - but if he is one of the best current players from Canada than we aren't going anywhere.

Walsher is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 12:06 PM
  #4
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Yzerman brings experience, a winning attitude, and clutch play.

You always need these veteran guys on your team, even if all they are doing is playing on the 4th line. He is still one of the better 2 way centres in the game, and is still one of the best face-off men in the league.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 12:09 PM
  #5
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Yzerman brings experience, a winning attitude, and clutch play.

You always need these veteran guys on your team, even if all they are doing is playing on the 4th line. He is still one of the better 2 way centres in the game, and is still one of the best face-off men in the league.
Don't you have guys like that in Sakic, Lemieux, Blake, Niedermeyer, Brodeur etc. I agree it is important, but Yzerman is nowhere near the player he needs to be to be on this team IMO. I mean Messier was left off the 1998 olympic team and he is regarded as the best leader in sports (arguably). At some point a guys run has to end - this should have been that end to Yzerman's IMO.

Walsher is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 12:21 PM
  #6
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
I agree with Stevey Y being there, if there's an injury we need to have a guy with the credentials to step in between any two wingers on short notice and have their total confidence. With a guy like LeCavalier there would be a period of him proving himself and there may be some doubts about who is actually the lead dog on his line.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 12:26 PM
  #7
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Don't you have guys like that in Sakic, Lemieux, Blake, Niedermeyer, Brodeur etc. I agree it is important, but Yzerman is nowhere near the player he needs to be to be on this team IMO. I mean Messier was left off the 1998 olympic team and he is regarded as the best leader in sports (arguably). At some point a guys run has to end - this should have been that end to Yzerman's IMO.
And what if Lemieux and/or Sakic gets hurt?

Yzerman still puts up 50+ points per season, and is still a very good 2 way player.

And who's to say that the 98 team didn't lose because they missed a guy like Messier, maybe that was their mistake.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 12:47 PM
  #8
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And what if Lemieux and/or Sakic gets hurt?

Yzerman still puts up 50+ points per season, and is still a very good 2 way player.

And who's to say that the 98 team didn't lose because they missed a guy like Messier, maybe that was their mistake.
What if Lemieux, Sakic, Brodeur, Blake, Foote, Niedermeyer, Draper, Maltby and Yzerman got hurt maybe they should have selected Ron Francis. If 8 guys go down I think there are more problems than experience. This team has lots of it and Steve Yzerman will not make the difference.

Walsher is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 01:13 PM
  #9
Loweball
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
I would take Primeau before Lecavelier.

Primeau this year took a step forward. Lecavelier is great as well but i think Primeau brings more all around and as somebody mentioned here, Lecavelier is still trying to prove himself.

Loweball is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 01:39 PM
  #10
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
What if Lemieux, Sakic, Brodeur, Blake, Foote, Niedermeyer, Draper, Maltby and Yzerman got hurt maybe they should have selected Ron Francis. If 8 guys go down I think there are more problems than experience. This team has lots of it and Steve Yzerman will not make the difference.
The team is breaking in a new group of centers to take over from the old guard of internationals - Sakic, Yzerman, Lemieux & co.

Right now Sakic is our one and only veteran of elite international competition who is still in his prime and completely healthy. Would you want to start the tourney with only Lecavalier, Thornton, Richards, and Marleau backing him up? Sure they're great kids over the course of an 82 game nhl season but this is a 30 metre sprint against the very best national teams in the world and if lack of confidence is a factor over one period we're toast.

Hopefully Thornton can play well and with confidence. Ditto for Richards and Marleau. Hopefully Lemieux is healthy. Maybe Steve will only play 9 minutes a game if all goes well, who knows?

All I know is that before this tourney gets underway Gretz and co have to think ahead to the elimination round where they will have Sakic leading the charge, followed by some kids with zero experience at this level. If Joe is injured in the second period, like Gretz was when Suter hit him from behind in the world cup in '94, there has to be a guy who can step in and do what Mark Messier did that day. Right now you can't really look ahead and say "Joe Thornton is that guy" because he's not proven at that level. He may not have the confidence in himself, his linemates may not have the confidence in him. Lemieux may not be there. Yzerman is a guy who can be counted on to step in and give the team instant credibility and confidence if the need arises. He's more of an insurance policy than a workhorse. That's Shane Doan.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 01:53 PM
  #11
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
I would take Primeau before Lecavelier.

Primeau this year took a step forward. Lecavelier is great as well but i think Primeau brings more all around and as somebody mentioned here, Lecavelier is still trying to prove himself.

I agree 100%

Primeau should have made this team ahead of Gagne, Stevie Y or Marleau in my opinion.

Hell, I am still as happy as can be with the team though.

Sethis is offline  
Old
05-15-2004, 02:52 PM
  #12
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I mean Messier was left off the 1998 olympic team and he is regarded as the best leader in sports (arguably).
And look what happened in 1998..

Cerebral is online now  
Old
05-15-2004, 04:59 PM
  #13
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Like I said on another thread - they picked based on favorites not based on merit. Yzerman was a great player - but if he is one of the best current players from Canada than we aren't going anywhere.
Yep that is what many said during the Olympic team and all that team did was win the Gold Medal.

Yes terrible management.

I know none of the people that were criticizing those picks had much of a leg to stand on when it was all done.

There is always going to be controversy about who is picked in a country where we could field two teams.

It would be impossible to please everyone.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
05-16-2004, 06:29 PM
  #14
Jamie
Registered User
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yep that is what many said during the Olympic team and all that team did was win the Gold Medal.

Yes terrible management.

I know none of the people that were criticizing those picks had much of a leg to stand on when it was all done.

There is always going to be controversy about who is picked in a country where we could field two teams.

It would be impossible to please everyone.
Well said. And to be honest I'm getting tired of everyone *****ing about the picks made. They made excellent picks IMO, and I can't understand why everybody here thinks they could've picked a better team. If they could, they'd probably be the ones making the desicions. I'll admit that there's a couple guys I would've picked over others, but I have absolutely no doubt that Team Canada made the right choices. To me, Gagne is the only real surprise, but he's had a great playoffs, and has turned into a great two way forward that can play wing or center.

ANd my biggest peave, people against having Yzerman there! Are you kidding me? This guy is still as clutch as anyone in the league at his age, injured or not. Yzerman deserves to be there over any kid trying to make a name for himself. Trying to make himself the NEXT Yzerman. Yzerman is where these kids want to be one day. Sure he doesn't go out and score 80+ points in the regular season anymore, but he's the kind of guy you rely on to help your team WIN.

Jamie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.