HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Was Yzerman picked in spite of his injuries, or because of them?

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2004, 11:20 AM
victor

vCash: 500

Injured players can be replaced before the World Cup - with his eye and knee injuries, was Yzerman picked to play, or is he a placeholder?

Old
05-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor

Injured players can be replaced before the World Cup - with his eye and knee injuries, was Yzerman picked to play, or is he a placeholder?
I don't know, but i hope he won't be able to play. He was a great player, but Canada should take Lecavalier instead of him.

Old
05-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Walsher

Like I said on another thread - they picked based on favorites not based on merit. Yzerman was a great player - but if he is one of the best current players from Canada than we aren't going anywhere.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:06 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Yzerman brings experience, a winning attitude, and clutch play.

You always need these veteran guys on your team, even if all they are doing is playing on the 4th line. He is still one of the better 2 way centres in the game, and is still one of the best face-off men in the league.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Yzerman brings experience, a winning attitude, and clutch play.

You always need these veteran guys on your team, even if all they are doing is playing on the 4th line. He is still one of the better 2 way centres in the game, and is still one of the best face-off men in the league.
Don't you have guys like that in Sakic, Lemieux, Blake, Niedermeyer, Brodeur etc. I agree it is important, but Yzerman is nowhere near the player he needs to be to be on this team IMO. I mean Messier was left off the 1998 olympic team and he is regarded as the best leader in sports (arguably). At some point a guys run has to end - this should have been that end to Yzerman's IMO.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Oi'll say!

I agree with Stevey Y being there, if there's an injury we need to have a guy with the credentials to step in between any two wingers on short notice and have their total confidence. With a guy like LeCavalier there would be a period of him proving himself and there may be some doubts about who is actually the lead dog on his line.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:26 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Don't you have guys like that in Sakic, Lemieux, Blake, Niedermeyer, Brodeur etc. I agree it is important, but Yzerman is nowhere near the player he needs to be to be on this team IMO. I mean Messier was left off the 1998 olympic team and he is regarded as the best leader in sports (arguably). At some point a guys run has to end - this should have been that end to Yzerman's IMO.
And what if Lemieux and/or Sakic gets hurt?

Yzerman still puts up 50+ points per season, and is still a very good 2 way player.

And who's to say that the 98 team didn't lose because they missed a guy like Messier, maybe that was their mistake.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And what if Lemieux and/or Sakic gets hurt?

Yzerman still puts up 50+ points per season, and is still a very good 2 way player.

And who's to say that the 98 team didn't lose because they missed a guy like Messier, maybe that was their mistake.
What if Lemieux, Sakic, Brodeur, Blake, Foote, Niedermeyer, Draper, Maltby and Yzerman got hurt maybe they should have selected Ron Francis. If 8 guys go down I think there are more problems than experience. This team has lots of it and Steve Yzerman will not make the difference.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Loweball

I would take Primeau before Lecavelier.

Primeau this year took a step forward. Lecavelier is great as well but i think Primeau brings more all around and as somebody mentioned here, Lecavelier is still trying to prove himself.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
What if Lemieux, Sakic, Brodeur, Blake, Foote, Niedermeyer, Draper, Maltby and Yzerman got hurt maybe they should have selected Ron Francis. If 8 guys go down I think there are more problems than experience. This team has lots of it and Steve Yzerman will not make the difference.
The team is breaking in a new group of centers to take over from the old guard of internationals - Sakic, Yzerman, Lemieux & co.

Right now Sakic is our one and only veteran of elite international competition who is still in his prime and completely healthy. Would you want to start the tourney with only Lecavalier, Thornton, Richards, and Marleau backing him up? Sure they're great kids over the course of an 82 game nhl season but this is a 30 metre sprint against the very best national teams in the world and if lack of confidence is a factor over one period we're toast.

Hopefully Thornton can play well and with confidence. Ditto for Richards and Marleau. Hopefully Lemieux is healthy. Maybe Steve will only play 9 minutes a game if all goes well, who knows?

All I know is that before this tourney gets underway Gretz and co have to think ahead to the elimination round where they will have Sakic leading the charge, followed by some kids with zero experience at this level. If Joe is injured in the second period, like Gretz was when Suter hit him from behind in the world cup in '94, there has to be a guy who can step in and do what Mark Messier did that day. Right now you can't really look ahead and say "Joe Thornton is that guy" because he's not proven at that level. He may not have the confidence in himself, his linemates may not have the confidence in him. Lemieux may not be there. Yzerman is a guy who can be counted on to step in and give the team instant credibility and confidence if the need arises. He's more of an insurance policy than a workhorse. That's Shane Doan.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
I would take Primeau before Lecavelier.

Primeau this year took a step forward. Lecavelier is great as well but i think Primeau brings more all around and as somebody mentioned here, Lecavelier is still trying to prove himself.

I agree 100%

Primeau should have made this team ahead of Gagne, Stevie Y or Marleau in my opinion.

Hell, I am still as happy as can be with the team though.

Old
05-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
I mean Messier was left off the 1998 olympic team and he is regarded as the best leader in sports (arguably).
And look what happened in 1998..

Old
05-15-2004, 04:59 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Like I said on another thread - they picked based on favorites not based on merit. Yzerman was a great player - but if he is one of the best current players from Canada than we aren't going anywhere.
Yep that is what many said during the Olympic team and all that team did was win the Gold Medal.

Yes terrible management.

I know none of the people that were criticizing those picks had much of a leg to stand on when it was all done.

There is always going to be controversy about who is picked in a country where we could field two teams.

It would be impossible to please everyone.

Old
05-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yep that is what many said during the Olympic team and all that team did was win the Gold Medal.

Yes terrible management.

I know none of the people that were criticizing those picks had much of a leg to stand on when it was all done.

There is always going to be controversy about who is picked in a country where we could field two teams.

It would be impossible to please everyone.
Well said. And to be honest I'm getting tired of everyone *****ing about the picks made. They made excellent picks IMO, and I can't understand why everybody here thinks they could've picked a better team. If they could, they'd probably be the ones making the desicions. I'll admit that there's a couple guys I would've picked over others, but I have absolutely no doubt that Team Canada made the right choices. To me, Gagne is the only real surprise, but he's had a great playoffs, and has turned into a great two way forward that can play wing or center.

ANd my biggest peave, people against having Yzerman there! Are you kidding me? This guy is still as clutch as anyone in the league at his age, injured or not. Yzerman deserves to be there over any kid trying to make a name for himself. Trying to make himself the NEXT Yzerman. Yzerman is where these kids want to be one day. Sure he doesn't go out and score 80+ points in the regular season anymore, but he's the kind of guy you rely on to help your team WIN.

Closed Thread