HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jay Harrison

Old
05-28-2010, 04:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
Is this board all about points/offense and no toughness, geez. lol He will be a good #7, maybe #6 if he improves over the summer.
Seems that way from time to time.

I know in my case it's just a matter of wanting to keep the player who was our most consistent defenseman down the stretch last year in Pothier. No reason not to bring him back since his demands probably won't be that bad.

A defense of:
Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Pothier
Carson - Babchuk
Harrison

would not be too bad. Drop Pothier, bump Babchuk into Pothier's slot and that top 4 goes from being decent if just a bit young to flat out rough.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
No, I don't expect big names, I also don't expect us to basically guarantee roster spots to journeymen AHLers, either. There's no need to give Jay Harrison a one-way contract. There are a thousand Jay Harrison's out there. Why intentionally hamstring yourself with a one-way contract?
Like I said I'm not a big fan of this signing unless he's a 7th d-man. Why you would get mad at the Tlusty signing before he's even got a real chance is beyond me though. It's not like they signed these two in hopes they were going to carry the team or something.

Quote:
And *this* offseason should have been our big offseason, with Ward, Walker, Corvo, Whitney, Cullen and Wallin coming off the books. It's not my fault JR gave Cole a ridiculous contract last summer that messed up this summer. It's not my fault he gave Brindy two too many years in 2006. JR is doing this to himself. Don't tell me we can't afford any big names. We can't afford them because JR keeps spending himself into a corner.
Did I say it was your fault or something? Not sure why you're getting defensive. I never said JR didn't do it himself either.

The fact is we still don't have money nor many open roster spots even with all those guys coming off the books (because Sammy, Cole and Brindy are still there). We already have guys to fill depth spots.. it's the top 4 on defense and top line winger we're lacking. But we won't have the money to get one til next offseason.

All I'm saying there was no reason to expect us to do anything other than re-sign our own guys and bargain bin FAs this offseason. It's what we do *every* year even when we have money.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
totaltank

And we'll be forced to do it again next year, even with Samsonov, Cole and Brindy coming off the books, because JR is sure to do something stupid to tie his own hands. He's done it for the past four summers. There's really no reason to expect anything different. That's my point. I'm not getting defensive, I'm getting worried.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:15 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Seems that way from time to time.

I know in my case it's just a matter of wanting to keep the player who was our most consistent defenseman down the stretch last year in Pothier. No reason not to bring him back since his demands probably won't be that bad.

A defense of:
Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Pothier
Carson - Babchuk
Harrison

would not be too bad. Drop Pothier, bump Babchuk into Pothier's slot and that top 4 goes from being decent if just a bit young to flat out rough.
That's my case as well. But listening to JR state that it isn't fair for Gleason to be our only physical guy in the backend, I can't help put think JR signed Harrison as a 3rd pairing guy. And if Babchuk does in fact comes back, there is no where for Pothier to go and IMO, we need him over Babchuk/Harrison.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:30 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
And we'll be forced to do it again next year, even with Samsonov, Cole and Brindy coming off the books, because JR is sure to do something stupid to tie his own hands. He's done it for the past four summers. There's really no reason to expect anything different. That's my point. I'm not getting defensive, I'm getting worried.
How about we wait til the offseasons over before we start worrying. FA or the draft hasn't even started... the only thing we can do right now is re-sign our own players and sign our prospects anyway. For all we know right now he could have signed Harrison to be our 7th d-man and we might be targeting a few guys when FA and trading starts. Let it play out.

Old
05-28-2010, 07:52 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Yes! Now I can get my last name put on my Canes jersey and wear it with pride... well not pride exactly, but it still matches.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:38 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Is Jay Harrison the worst player in the world? No.
Actually........he may currently be the worst player in the world with a one way NHL contract now. At least close to the worst.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:39 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
Actually........he may currently be the worst player in the world with a one way NHL contract now. At least close to the worst.
Who cares? it's at 500k. We will waive him if he sucks, just like Conboy or Melichar (who had one way contracts as well). Some of you guys make this sound like a Jeff Finger contract or something.

Old
05-29-2010, 02:34 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I don't think its the contract people care about...its the fact that we are still using Jay Harrison. As a 7th dman I would not mind but I have a feeling that will not be the case.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Joe McGrath

I don't know why anyone is upset with a one-way contract. If he isn't good enough to make the team you waive him and then everyone rejoices.

I'm all for tough defenseman and I could care less if he had zero points on the season and was solid defensively, like a bottom pairing guy is supposed to be. My concern with him is that he is a veteran (as a professional not necessarily NHL) who makes rookie mistakes routinely. That kind of thing should be worked out of your game before you are his age if you are ever going to be a useful bottom pairing guy. Rodney is a year or two away from being a career AHLer as well.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:19 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
I think the signing is fine, but we all know Mo and just going by JR's statement, I think it's an indication that we will be seeing more of Harrison than we should. I can't see Mo burying Harrison, and with our history with injuries, it's only a matter of time before he's our 4th defenseman for a long and painful stretch.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:06 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
I'm getting really close to the edge right now. Is Jay Harrison the worst player in the world? No. Has Jiri Tlusty been given a legit shot? Probably not. But the question is if the Canes are any better with these two guys on the roster. Maybe Harrison was hurt, great. The bottom line is that guys like him are a dime-a-dozen. JR has to do something to make this team *better* and I haven't seen anything that fits this description as of yet. Do Harrison and Tlusty on one-way deals make us better? I don't think so.

I know it's early, but it's already well down the path of looking the same as it ever was ...
What would you expect to pay these "dime a dozen" guys? maybe $500k? If Harrison is a "dime a dozen" guy and all the other "dime a dozen" guys would cost as much, what's the difference?

To me this is a blah signing. A little bit of toughness, A little bit of defense, for cheap money. We were paying other, supposedly better defensemen more money in previosu years and they were scratched for a number of games as well. So this is an okay depth, bottom pair or #7 deal.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote