HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst Coach in Kings History

Old
06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Kingjordan

vCash: 500
Worst Coach in Kings History

Who do you think was the worst coach in Kings history???

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
MollerManor

Crawford.

You made me look up his stats...

As far as I know, First coach since 1972 to coach more than 50 games for the kings and not make the playoffs once. (And only one to coach more than 89 and never make the playoffs.) Not to mention his coaching was just awful as far as our system and rebuild was concerned.

Last edited by MollerManor: 06-03-2010 at 02:28 PM.
MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

You won't find many that are worse than Crawford. After 1993, I thought Barry Melrose was a horrendous coach. Just look at what happened to the Kings when Barry decided he wanted them to get "bigger and tougher." They sacrificed skill for slugs.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You won't find many that are worse than Crawford. After 1993, I thought Barry Melrose was a horrendous coach. Just look at what happened to the Kings when Barry decided he wanted them to get "bigger and tougher." They sacrificed skill for slugs.
Robitaille for Tocchet broke my heart.Then all the other slugs drove home the dagger. Those were tough years.

Boba Fettuccine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Torchetti! J/K.. there isn't much good I remember about Crawford. He had a hot daughter or two if I remember correctly but that is about it.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
I remember when I was living back east in the mid 90's staying up late to watch stiffs like Matt Johnson, Michel Petit, Troy Crowder and Barry Potomski.

It was so sad because 3-4 years before the team was loaded with offensive talent and then turned into a glorified goon team.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It is quite sad when you consider the roster they had in 1992-93 to the one they iced in 1994-95:

Sandstrom-Gretzky-Kurri
Robitaille-Carson-Shuchuk
Donnelly-Millen-Granato
Rychel-Conacher-Taylor

Zhitnik-Blake
Watters-McSorley
Huddy-Sydor

Hrudey-Stauber

To this in 1994-95:

Kurri-Gretzky-Tocchet
Quinn-Todd-Granato
Burridge-Lang-Druce
Lacroix-Conacher-Crowder

McSorley-Blake
Sydor-Petit
Snell-Cowie

Hrudey-Fuhr

Old
06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
It is quite sad when you consider the roster they had in 1992-93 to the one they iced in 1994-95:

Sandstrom-Gretzky-Kurri
Robitaille-Carson-Shuchuk
Donnelly-Millen-Granato
Rychel-Conacher-Taylor

Zhitnik-Blake
Watters-McSorley
Huddy-Sydor

Hrudey-Stauber

To this in 1994-95:

Kurri-Gretzky-Tocchet
Quinn-Todd-Granato
Burridge-Lang-Druce
Lacroix-Conacher-Crowder

McSorley-Blake
Sydor-Petit
Snell-Cowie

Hrudey-Fuhr
What happened?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:41 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Crawford.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
What happened?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6288/index.htm
Quote:
Beverley, now the director of scouting and player personnel for the Toronto Maple Leafs, is guarded on the subject of Gretzky. "There was an element of discomfort because of the relationship between ownership and Gretzky that didn't sit well in the dressing room," says Beverley, who traded Coffey, one of Gretzky's best friends, to the Detroit Red Wings in January 1993, and forward Tomas Sandstrom to the Penguins in February 1994. Current King players dispute Beverley's contention that Gretzky's power created tension on the club, although the relationship between Gretzky and former star left wing Luc Robitaille did grow strained. When McMaster traded him to Pittsburgh for rightwinger Rick Tocchet on July 29—one of the rare King deals in recent times that hasn't backfired—Robitaille spoke out. He didn't use Gretzky's name, but he said, "Players should play, and managers should manage. Maybe one of the reasons I'm going is because I agree with that."

"I used to worry about that," Gretzky says of the perception that he is a player-general manager. "If we traded for an ex-Oiler, people would say, 'Oh, wow, that's Wayne Gretzky's deal.' That bothered me tremendously. Then I saw Mark Messier [his former Edmonton teammate and a current New York Ranger] skating with the Cup with about six ex-Oilers around him, and now I don't give a flying——. With an opportunity left to win a Cup, I don't care who's on my side.' "

Old
06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

Quote:
I have always put more of the blame on Beverly than I should have.

Sorry Nick.

McMaster, suck it!

Old
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Crawford and everyone named Murray.

Terry Murray is by far one of the worst one.
He will be blamed for players leaving the Kings. Mark my words

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I have always put more of the blame on Beverly than I should have.

Sorry Nick.

McMaster, suck it!
It is hard to say how much control Beverly had. Bruce McNall ultimately signed off on every deal and I think at the time of the Paul Coffey trade, Barry Melrose was heavily involved. He wanted a shakeup and the Kings acquired his players from Adirondack.

I think Bruce was also bleeding money at the time which is why we saw them trade players with bigger contracts in Coffey, McSorley, Robitaille, etc. It explains why the Kings never made improvements during the summer months after the Cup run. They sat idly, let players walk, or dealt them to save cash. It was a poorly managed team.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:54 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... It's hard to say who was the worst coach in Kings' history; it's obviously necessary to consider the talent available and has a great deal to do with what direction the franchise was headed in at the time.

The first Kings' coach I remember was Don Perry. He wasn't too great but he was mostly in over his head as it was. He was great teacher from what I recall, and that worked pretty well with the young group he had. He just had a goalie (Mario Lessard) who inexplicably fell apart in the prime of his career, and the organization didn't have a backup plan for that. Not really the coach's fault.

Pat Quinn was the next Kings' coach. He did an alright job before the whole snafu with Vancouver derailed his term in L.A. After Quinn was Mike Murphy, and if I had to pick a worst coach, it would probably be Murphy even though he really didn't get past the "interim" label.

Robbie Ftorek came to a Kings' team in 1987 that was completely adrift, and did a good job of getting control of the situation. But, the Kings were a VASTLY better team in 1988-89 -- and I didn't think Ftorek got as much as he could out of that group; that combined with his whole ego-clash with Gretzky rightly bought him his ticket out of town.

Tom Webster was, arguably, the best coach the Kings ever had -- but he couldn't lead them past the second round of the playoffs. Then came Barry Melrose, and I don't think Melrose got enough credit for the clever things he did to help lead the Kings into the SCF in 1993. Melrose shouldn't be blamed too much for the decline after 1993, as the team fell into economic ruin right before his eyes.

Larry Robinson did an amazing job pushing through those dark times in the mid-90s and certainly was a huge reason that the team made it back to playoffs in 1997-98. Injuries killed the Kings in the next season, and Robinson was unfairly held responsible for the sudden decline. The Kings were fools to let Robinson go.

I never was a big fan of Andy Murray's coaching style, nor was I a fan of his handling of the players -- and I felt that the talent he had from 1999-2002 far outweighed the actual success that the team enjoyed under his direction. I wouldn't go so far as to call Andy a BAD head coach, but the team lacked an identity with him behind the bench and the philosophy seemed to be one of playing not to lose rather than playing aggressively and to win. The Kings really had a shot to do some special things in the early 2000s, but their uninspired head coaching and terrible upper management killed their chances at that time.

It's easy to throw Crawford under the bus, but I can't really blame him too much at all. It's impossible to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, and it was apparent from early on in the Lombardi regime that the M.O. of the organization was to tank for lottery picks. In that sense, Crawford did pretty much exactly what the organization needed him to do.

I certainly wouldn't say Terry Murray was the worst coach I've ever seen as a Kings' fan. I've said a lot about him already, so there's no need to re-hash it. He's about average in my opinion.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
It's impossible to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, and it was apparent from early on in the Lombardi regime that the M.O. of the organization was to tank for lottery picks. In that sense, Crawford did pretty much exactly what the organization needed him to do.
LOL

Wasn't that Larry Robinson's line about the talent he had?

Old
06-03-2010, 07:00 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

I'll agree with Crawford and the first Murray. While I do scratch my head at some of moves Terry Murray makes, he still has improved the team every year he's been here, including making the playoffs.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:57 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

"Ready Freddy Glover" was completely asleep behind the bench. I have NEVER seen a coach who did so little with so much disinterest ever. The guy looked like he was telling jokes back there and then every now and then would throw a tantrum. He was supposed to be a truly smart Hockey person and he might have been but I just didn't think he was a good coach.

Don Perry and his ultra wide lapels was an interesting coach. He looked like he was slowly starting to put something together and right when it looked like he had figured things out he went tatas skyward.

Marc Crawford. This was my biggest disappointment of a coach of any team of all time. That guy was the guy I wanted us to get and when we did I thought that we had finally found a coach who would truly lead us to the promised land.

Within 6 months I knew I was totally wrong and wanted him to be gone. There wouldn't be a plane train or automobile that could move fast enough for him to get off of our team as far as I was concerned. He had ZERO game plan. The only exception that I think could be argued would be that he might have said something like "go ahead boy's, go out there and win" or something like that but no real plan.

In order:

Crawford
Glover
Perry

Honorable mention for me goes to Robbie Ftorek. The guy played wheel of fortune with his line combo's and totally spun our team apart while doing so. His record might be alright but his long term results weren't very good.

A+ for his Cosby Sweaters though.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
LOL

Wasn't that Larry Robinson's line about the talent he had?
That was indeed a quote from Larry Robinson. He also had some great quotes on Steve Duchesne (to the effect of Duchesne being the "last one in, first one out"), and he openly called Yanic Perreault a pansy (may have said it in other words). He was by far the most entertaining coach behind the Kings' bench. My favorite Larry Robinson moment was when he gave Bill McCreary the one-finger salute. Bob Miller and Jim Fox joked on the air that Larry just gave McCreary the "big bird" and let him know he's number one.

Old
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Adding to the legend of one Barry Melrose: http://articles.courant.com/1993-06-...s-bruce-mcnall
Quote:
His name won't go on the Stanley Cup. And LA Kings coach Barry Melrose said Anthony Robbins isn't his assistant coach.

But Melrose said the motivational guru, king of TV infomercials for his "Personal Power" tapes and a best-selling book, has made a huge difference in his life. Robbins also has helped wing Luc Robitaille and goalie Kelly Hrudey this season.

"Tony always says, `Take action,' " Melrose said. "So I wrote him a letter when I was in Adirondack [of the AHL]. I told him I would be coaching in the NHL in the future and when I do I want to meet him and have him talk to my players. Now, he's a good friend. An incredible man."

Old
06-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

Jesus.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

FWIW, Pat Quinn. What he did with Vancouver was unforgivable and puts him a step below dog ****. He should have been disciplined by the league. If that happened today, he probably would have been.

Old
06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
Waiting 4 next year

Crow might be the right answer, but don't forget that Parker MacDonald was so bad that he was fired in favor of Don Perry.

As far as DP goes at least he has a legacy called the Don Perry Rule.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:03 AM
johnjm22

I believe Larry said: "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****!"

I've been following the team since 1993, and he was by far my favorite coach.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:26 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
That was indeed a quote from Larry Robinson. He also had some great quotes on Steve Duchesne (to the effect of Duchesne being the "last one in, first one out"), and he openly called Yanic Perreault a pansy (may have said it in other words). He was by far the most entertaining coach behind the Kings' bench. My favorite Larry Robinson moment was when he gave Bill McCreary the one-finger salute. Bob Miller and Jim Fox joked on the air that Larry just gave McCreary the "big bird" and let him know he's number one.
I remember that.. and just by reading your post made me laugh..

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Never trust a forward
- Larry Robinson