HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Cap to increases by roughly 2 Million

Old
05-29-2010, 02:12 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I can't disagree more with the Richardson statement. There is no way Richardson matches Frolov's production and, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Richardson play the majority of the season in a Top-9 role?

The only guy from last year's team that has a chance to step in and match Frolov's production is Parse, unless you want to count on Williams playing a full season.

Richardson does not have the finishing capabilities of 20-goal scorer while Parse has some of the softest hands on the team. I know I am a known Parse supporter, but I look at him and see everything that the Kings hoped they had in Purcell.
Or it can be Parse if that makes you feel better about yourself. All I was trying to say is that their are in-house guys to fill that role, as well as a 3rd puck-moving D-Man.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:18 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
This is gross?

Kovy-Kopi-Simmonds
Smyth-Thornton-Brown
Do you have any idea how expensive that is? Not only that, but idk, I don't want to this team to win solely because of amazing free agent signings...that hasn't worked too well in the past for anyone.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:56 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
Do you have any idea how expensive that is? Not only that, but idk, I don't want to this team to win solely because of amazing free agent signings...that hasn't worked too well in the past for anyone.
It's expensive but it's affordable with the extra 2M increase. It's only for a year and I think we can definitely compete with those first 2 lines.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:59 PM
123slam

Quote:
It's expensive but it's affordable with the extra 2M increase. It's only for a year and I think we can definitely compete with those first 2 lines.
only for a year..

Old
05-29-2010, 03:16 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
only for a year..
Yeah, you'd have to go back and read the prior posts that I was responding to but basically, we were talking in terms of 1 yr so that Schenn would be ready by the following year as well as resigning JJ and Simmonds. And that's why I chose Thornton because he'll be an UFA after 1 year of centering our line to the stanley cup championship.

Old
05-29-2010, 03:49 PM
123slam

Quote:
Yeah, you'd have to go back and read the prior posts that I was responding to but basically, we were talking in terms of 1 yr so that Schenn would be ready by the following year as well as resigning JJ and Simmonds. And that's why I chose Thornton because he'll be an UFA after 1 year of centering our line to the stanley cup championship.
my baddddddddddddddddd

Old
05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
ThE KinG11

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...vid=nhl-search

so was this quote by bettman just total bs?

ThE KinG11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE KinG11 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...vid=nhl-search

so was this quote by bettman just total bs?
That was almost a month ago and 2 million is close to flat anyways, it's only a 3.5% increase.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I was listening to NHL Radio and heard only part of Bettman's press conference today, but the analysts said that with revenues league wide were up 4%, if the players association takes the 5% bump as they have taken every year, the amount of cap space will rise to almost 59MM dollars.

Of course the net result of this benefits teams like Chicago and Philly, who might otherwise have more cap restrictions.

This is why I have always laughed at the concept (put forth by DL and Co.) that we were going to be able to benefit from cap restrictions that force other teams to jettison their star RFA's because they can't afford to pay them. Hasnt happened yet, and I doubt it will.

And while it is always smart as a business owner to watch the bottom line and manage your resources, ensuring enough money to operate the business at the highest possible level, the thought of stealing really good players for very little is far more a joke than a reality.

P.S. If DL really wants to keep Frolov, that extra 2MM sure should help. But I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you!
I don't know about RFAs in Chicago's case, but they are going to lose at least one and possibly two of Sharp, Versteeg, and Byfuglien because of what Tallon gave Campbell and Hossa in their deals. So it DOES matter. And if a team were ballsie enough to make an offer sheet of $3 million to Hjarmalsson there is very little the Hawks could do to match it without moving yet another decent player. So yes, it DOES matter.

If Dean is looking at a potential deal with Chicago, maybe the extra $2M takes his focus off of Sharp and puts it on Versteeg.

Last edited by KINGS17: 05-29-2010 at 09:00 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't know about RFAs in Chicago's case, but they are going to lose at least one and possibly two of Sharp, Versteeg, and Byfuglien because of what Tallon gave Campbell and Hossa in their deals. So it DOES matter. And if a team were ballsie enough to make an offer sheet of $3 million to Hjarmalsson there is very little the Hawks could do to match it without moving yet another decent player. So yes, it DOES matter.

If Dean is looking at a potential deal with Chicago, maybe the extra $2M takes his focus off of Sharp and puts it on Versteeg.
I'm torn. I'm with you in principle, but also, since the cap came in, we've seen a ton of good management and none of those guys are gone yet.

And check this out, they're in the finals. I would give up every King, tear down every number just to get there again. I still hate the Habs.

And I will still will never forgive Roy for the wink. Talk stick all you want but that was it from what I saw. The end. Series over!

Last edited by Legionnaire: 05-30-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:07 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

Small moves vs. big. Not what I want to see this off season.

We already know that DL will not play the offer sheet game, (at least that is what he has said in the past--and you know what I think about what DL says) and I am willing to bet that we will soon see some very deft and clever cap management skills exhibited by those teams we have all been saying are really in a tough spot.

And when these teams somehow manage to keep their stars and avoid busting the cap, you will have to go back and reevaluate all of DL's comments that the most important aspect of his job is cap management. If the other teams can do it (spend to the cap), there is no reason why we cant do it as well, but as of yet we haven't. Whether that has to do with true cap management or bottom line accounting limits (issued from the top down) is something we will never know, but the player personnel moves this off-season may certainly lend some insight.

With Frolov's 4MM coming off the books, Jones, Ivanans, and maybe Od as well, and another 2MM+ from the rising cap and a small deal or two, we should have more than enough space to sign Kovy, a defensman and possibly another winger as well and still not jeopardize our core players.

Remember DL supposedly made a very big offer to Hossa, and Kovy is a better player. So if the BIG MOVE doesn't happen this off-season, IMO, DL's got some major 'splainin to do.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:24 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think this next offseason is going to be one of the most interesting in a really long time due to the fact that there are teams up against the cap who will have to do some serious leg work to maintain their edge.

An example will be what will the Hawks do if they can't keep KV,PS Buf and the rat (sounds like a new disney show)?

Losing any one of them changes their fortune this year drastically.

I am also curious to see what happens down the road. Can we be seeing the beginning of a new no more dynasty era?

The Pens made the finals and then won the cup but right after winning they lost a few critical pieces immediately after (Gill, Scuds etc) and look at them this year.

The Hawks could be in the same boat after this off season.

Just thinking out loud but it could be an interesting trend that is developing and it wouldn't be too shocking if that were to fit in with the NHL's plans.

Dynasty's are really only good for one team where when a team like the Ducks get to win it once and then the cup moves on to another team in a different region and then another and so on, its good for everyone.

A raising tide raises all the ships.

Not proposing a conspiracy theory, just a trend that could be snapped by the Hawks or even us down the road. I would add what the wings have done but I am looking at who won the cup and while I think that the wings have begrudgingly done an amazing job, I wouldn't call them a dynasty in line with the pre lock out types.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
markisonfire

The cap going up $2million this year means that Brayden Schenn costs $1.14 million this year with the same roster. I like that.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:05 PM
SFKingshomer

If Kovalchuk can be had for less than Kopitar then fine but we really can't afford Kovy, Kopi, Doughty, JJ, Hamhuis/Seidenberg, Bernier, Quick, Brown, and Simmonds. A superstar is not the answer...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
If Kovalchuk can be had for less than Kopitar then fine but we really can't afford Kovy, Kopi, Doughty, JJ, Hamhuis/Seidenberg, Bernier, Quick, Brown, and Simmonds. A superstar is not the answer...
I like how you just slipped that one in there, as if those two, or a dmen in that price range is crucial.

Our d is good and only needs a minor improvement when compared to the major upgrade needed up front.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:57 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I like how you just slipped that one in there, as if those two, or a dmen in that price range is crucial.

Our d is good and only needs a minor improvement when compared to the major upgrade needed up front.
I disagree, we need a #3 dman more than a winger. I didn't slip anything in there as some have suggested Kovy, Hamhuis, and another winger.

Old
05-30-2010, 09:00 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I disagree, we need a #3 dman more than a winger. I didn't slip anything in there as some have suggested Kovy, Hamhuis, and another winger.
How many other teams have a defensive foursome as good as ours?

DD
JJ
Scuds
Greene

Please tell me which team has better foursome than we do.

Old
05-30-2010, 09:03 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
How many other teams have a defensive foursome as good as ours?

DD
JJ
Scuds
Greene

Please tell me which team has better foursome than we do.
PHI, CHI, NAS, DET. We need a 3rd puck mover because our D is too sluggish and can't make a breakout pass.

Old
05-30-2010, 09:17 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
PHI, CHI, NAS, DET. We need a 3rd puck mover because our D is too sluggish and can't make a breakout pass.
Well, Det if they re-sign Lidstrom and Nas if they re-sign Hamhuis correct? And even if those 4 teams DID have a better overall defense (which I don't totally agree), that's ONLY 4 teams.

Now, think about how many teams in the nhl that has better overall offense than we do? A lot higher than 4, that's for sure.

The way I see it, a guy like Hickey/Voynov/Muzzin can fulfill the role. We have so much depth on defense prospect wise, it'd be kind of silly to go spending more money on it.

Our money should be better spent on offense.

Old
05-30-2010, 09:21 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Quote:
We do need one more dman. We need. A dman paid like Hamhuis WAS paid, not like he's about to be paid.

In the 1.5 to 2.5 range. 3 max and maaaybe 3.5 for the right guy. We don't need to pay anyone more than that and that allows for Kovy, even if the cap doesn't really rise.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:42 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
We do need one more dman. We need. A dman paid like Hamhuis WAS paid, not like he's about to be paid.

In the 1.5 to 2.5 range. 3 max and maaaybe 3.5 for the right guy. We don't need to pay anyone more than that and that allows for Kovy, even if the cap doesn't really rise.
I agree. We need a defenseman that's decent in his own zone that can run a breakout and effectively move the puck. While that describes Hamuis, he's not worth (at this point) what he's going to get on the open market.

We should be expecting a "bridge" defender. A guy like Jordan Leopold that can step in a do the job on a 2 year contract while Hickey/Voynov/Martinez continue to develop and prove they're capable of a Top 4 role. If by that time they don't, then Dean will go out and look for a permanent fix.

The only defenseman in this free agency class I'd change my opinion on this is Paul Martin.

05-31-2010, 12:14 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I just had an idea, so i thought i'd play with it a little. What about something like this......

FORWARDS
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.500m)
* Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / * Patrick Marleau ($6.500m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.822m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.900m) / * Brad Richardson ($1.750m) / * Trevor Lewis ($0.855m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Drew Doughty ($3.475m)
Jack Johnson ($1.425m) / * Dennis Seidenberg ($3.500m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.617m)
Peter Harrold ($0.583m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($0.843m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $59.137m; CAP ROOM: $2.638m BONUSES: $2.975m

NOTE: Stoll is traded for pick/prospect.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Is Chicago just giving Sharp to the Kings out of the kindness of their heart?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
lol.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:41 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
No. But they can't take on salary, so it's not like the pieces heading back are significant(now). It would probably be a 2nd & mid-level prospect.