HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Post-Roster Announcement World Cup Lines

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Post-Roster Announcement World Cup Lines

*** -All mean Switch these 2 if necesarry.

Lemieux*-Sakic-Iginla
Smyth-Thornton-Heatley
St. Louis-Richards-Doan
Morrow-Draper-Maltby

Leaves Out: Marleau*, Gagne, Yzerman

First Line - Has every World Cup defense squad having some fecal excursions in their pants. Lemieux has the amazing presence and can do anything he wants in the offensive zone, surround him with the 2 other most dangerous players in the league and the line is unstoppable. Combines Strength, Speed, LOTS of talent, And some amazing play in the clutch.

Second Line - They got the power! Heavy on the forecheck, impossible to take down and are just sick on offense. Smyth can wreak his havoc in front of the net, along the boards and in the corners and allow Thornton and Heatley to do whatever they please with the puck.

3rd Line - When the NHL's leading scorer fails to crack the top 2 lines, you know your teams stacked. This line would pack boatloads of excitement and energy, and be hard to contain while also being top notch on D, which is an extremely big part of these competitions. Fast, Fast, Fast.

4th Line - Its your shut-down line, through and through. Gritty as Hell, Fast as Cheetah's and the other teams top players will have a helluva time shaking them. Lots of people seem to be disappointed with the selection of these three but I view them as essential, a line to negate their top lines, and provide energy and agitation to Canda's side of the fight.

Redden**-Pronger
Blake-Brewer
Niedermayer-Regehr***

Leaves Out: Jovanovski** and Foote***

First Pairing - Smart and Efficient in their zone, creative and tactful in the other teams. Prongers Mammoth size and Reddens smarts would combine to kill other teams in front of the goalie and they'd be quarterbacks on the point.

Second Pairing - Deadly size, smarts, and skating propel them to being an extemely effective pairing. Similarities in playing style are obvious between Blake and Brewer, and I think they'd compliment each other perfectly much like Brew and Al MacInnis in the Olympics.

3rd Pairing - Classic Pairing. One offensive, fleet-footed, shifty, QB D-man and one tough as nails, stay at home, clear the crease, monster D-man with a big shot. Would be an extremely exciting pair to watch.

And the the goalies.

Anyone else?

Old
05-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla
Gagne-Thornton-Heatley
St. Louis-Richards-Doan
Morrow-Draper-Maltby

Leaves Out: Marleau, Smyth, Yzerman

Redden-Pronger
Blake-Foote
Niedermayer-Jovonoski

Leaves Out: Brewer and Regehr

#1 - Brodeur
#2 - Belfour
#3 - Luongo

[/QUOTE]

Old
05-15-2004, 12:35 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Aren't you the one complaining about Smyth's lack of production?

Yet you are putting Gagne on the 2nd line (who Smyth has out-scored practically every year for the past few seasons)?

Plus St. Louis is much better on the right side than the left. He's better when his stick in towards the middle of the ice. St. Louis has to be on the right hand side.

Old
05-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Aren't you the one complaining about Smyth's lack of production?

Yet you are putting Gagne on the 2nd line (who Smyth has out-scored practically every year for the past few seasons)?

Plus St. Louis is much better on the right side than the left. He's better when his stick in towards the middle of the ice. St. Louis has to be on the right hand side.
I would put anyone on that wing to get Smyth off the ice.

Old
05-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Chimera28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I would put anyone on that wing to get Smyth off the ice.
Smyth must of done something terrible to you, for you to have these odd and unwarrented comments.

Maybe just a bad day?

Old
05-15-2004, 01:21 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Gagne would be best served on the line of Joe Sakic. They - Sakic/Iginla/Gagne were essentially the number 1 line in the gold medal game in the Olympics. Unbelievable chemistry there and very good overall speed. (Not to mention very capable in their own zone especially with Simon and Joe)

Old
05-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
I disagree entirely, I thought that Sakic and Iginla were destroying everything in their path and, if anything, Simon Gagne dragged them down. Quite frankly, after his last couple seasons I dont see how he made the team, but I guess I got to face the fact that he will be on the ice for that tournament.

Ho Hum! The team is still amazing, and I'm sure some countries would kill for our 3rd line be their top unit.

Old
05-15-2004, 02:44 PM
kruezer

I see it like this.....

Lemieux - Sakic - Iginla I really just like the ability of this line, unstoppable.
Doan - Thornton - Heatley Doan can play pretty well anywhere, and I think these players are perfect together
Smyth - Richards - St. Louis I like the looks of this line, I thought Vinny would make it over R though.
Yzerman - Draper - Maltby I can see this line re-united, solid checking line, the only way Y doesn't play is if he is hurt and off the team.

Scratches - Gagne, Morrow, Marleau Great depth, I can't see Gagne playing, Morrow is very underrated and could play if Y is hurt, Marleau will likely sit due to R and St. L's familiarity but he can go on the top 3 lines if needed.

I see the D like this....

Niedermayer - Pronger Best pairing possible right now IMO.
Jovanovski - Blake Lowercase of the No.1 pair
Brewer - Foote Lowercase of the No.2 pair

Scratches - Redden and Regehr Redden is in if Nieds, Pronger, Jovo, Blake or Brewer go down and Regehr is in if Foote goes down.

Old
05-16-2004, 01:02 AM
puck528

1. Lemieux-Sakic-Iggy
2.St Louis-Thornton-Heatley-Imagine the passing plays.....
3. Smyth-Draper- Maltby-Solid Grind line
4.Doan-Richards-Marleau-supplemental offense/ Add Morrow for some energy in place of Marleau

1. Pronger-Blake
2.Brewer-Niedermayer
3. Foote-Jovo

Old
05-16-2004, 05:47 PM
krooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera28
Smyth must of done something terrible to you, for you to have these odd and unwarrented comments.

Maybe just a bad day?

His comments are completely warrented. Everyone has this delusion that Smyth is this world class player and it's just ridiculous. Yes, he works hard, wears his heart on his sleeve, plays every shift like it's his last and on and on but thats all he is ........a mucker. His skill set is below average and he'll be the worst player on this team just as he was at the Olympics.

Old
05-16-2004, 06:52 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooky
His comments are completely warrented. Everyone has this delusion that Smyth is this world class player and it's just ridiculous. Yes, he works hard, wears his heart on his sleeve, plays every shift like it's his last and on and on but thats all he is ........a mucker. His skill set is below average and he'll be the worst player on this team just as he was at the Olympics.
If this is true, then he has got to be one of the luckiest players in the NHL. Because even with his, as you say, apparent below-average-AHL skillset, he's maintained a solid offensive output throughout his career. We can even scrutinize this further and see just how many Canadian left wingers have maintained a smiliar offensive output throughout their careers as StoneHands Smytty.

I mean, I was watching live when he took that penalty against the Islanders after we just managed to tie the game up and single-handedly cost us a point, and then pulled a similar stunt on about 2 or 3 instances, but give the guy a break.
The guy's got 198 goals & 232 assists in 640 games. Being lucky and talentless will only get you so far. Its possible that Smyth is actually not that bad.

Old
05-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

If Smyth was an UFA, every team in the league would be after him.

Closed Thread