Notices

5/28 Discussion - Latendresse Expectations

Old
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
5/28 Discussion - Latendresse Expectations

Guillaume Latendresse was a bright spot for the Minnesota Wild this season. Traded for Benoit Pouliot, he was clicking right away with Martin Havlat and put up 25 goals in 55 games. Much like the other expectation DDTs, after that sort of breakout year what do you expect from him next year?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I would bet my rent money that he'll lead the Wild in goals next year. Probably by a margin of 8-10, I'm guessing. He was too consistent throughout the year for it to be just a fluke, in my opinion. He seemed to be a nice piece to the puzzle here and he fits like a glove. Like Lemaires said about the trade, "Gui needed to get away from the pressure in Montreal and Benoit needed to get thrown in the middle of it." That said, I'm not worried about Lats underperforming in the pressure-filled playoffs when the Wild get back into them. I think Lats is similar to Koivu in a way where they BOTH perform better when they know their teams are relying on them. If Koivu were on a team like, say, the Blackhawks where he'd be the sidekick, we would probably see a whole different player.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:50 PM
mnwildgophers

I think Lats will have a good year, but I'm not sure that he will score at the pace that he did last year, I can see 25 with the top end would be somewhere around 30 goals. If GMCF is able to get a 2nd line center between him and Havlat, I think we can see 30 goals easily. We'll have to see how it plays out.

I also noticed he was kind of clutch last year for us, the one goal that sticks out to me the most is the one where he tied the game in the final 2 minutes of the comeback against the Hawks at home, but that was the highlight of the year for me since we didn't make playoffs.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Red Alberks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I think Lats will have a good year, but I'm not sure that he will score at the pace that he did last year, I can see 25 with the top end would be somewhere around 30 goals. If GMCF is able to get a 2nd line center between him and Havlat, I think we can see 30 goals easily. We'll have to see how it plays out.

I also noticed he was kind of clutch last year for us, the one goal that sticks out to me the most is the one where he tied the game in the final 2 minutes of the comeback against the Hawks at home, but that was the highlight of the year for me since we didn't make playoffs.
I agree with this.

In all likelihood Havlat won't have a bad start to the year like he did this past year, so those two should click again, and Latendresse should pot somewhere around 30 goals. I think around 30 goals is his ceiling; I don't think he can reach 40. He has a lot of talent, I just don't think he has the talent that most 40 goal scorers have. Maybe he will prove me wrong

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i expect ~25 goals, but I can realistically hope for a little over 30. I would like him to keep up the body work, too. It's so refreshing to watch a scoring forward actually plow into people with purpose.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Like I said in another thread, if he continues to play with good players like Havlat, he will continue to produce like he did last year. Just find a good center for completing the trio.

Quote:
I swear I screamed as hell when I watched that unbelievable game especially when Guillaume scored the tying goal. Damn, what a comeback that was!

Last edited by Fel 96: 05-28-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:06 PM
State of Hockey

He had his breakout year. I expect a decent season next year, but I don't see stellar numbers coming. His low shots and high shooting percentage combined with his skill set and mediocre last month+ spell more of a 25-30 goal year over 82 games.

I think however the potential is there for a little more and a lot less. I'm not sold on him yet. He can take advantage of chances, but he doesn't create many and needs help around him. And even though there was problems in Montreal, it doesn't mean he won't disappoint again.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:12 PM
djp4516

I think if Havlat stays healthy, I'd say he'll be around 28-30 goals, 25 assists.

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:54 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I think he was really fighting injuries the last week or two of the season.

Whoever said it already nailed it, I think the key to Latendresse (and Havlat) for that matter, is finding a center who's got the skill and grit to play with these guys from the get go.

Also, I think Latendresse needs to round out his physical game, he should be a guy who makes an impact every game, whether he lights the lamp or not.

Ultimately me thinks Latendresse could be a 40 goal guy.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

With Havlat and a competent center - 30 goals per season is his floor IMO.

I think he'll shoot more often this year. SOG per game increased from roughly 2 to 2.4 when he came to Minnesota. His TOI also increased from about 12:30 to 16:30.

Admittedly I didn't watch him at all while he was with the Canadiens, but as far as I can tell they didn't exactly put him in positions to succeed with any regularity. He'll continue to get that here.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

30 goals would be a success.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:14 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I expect him to be the leading goal scorer of this Minnesota Wild team.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:09 PM
nickschultzfan

25/25. Not sure if he's going to be as motivated as he was last season. And to be honest, he was a little too good last year. He can't keep that pace that he was on.

He'll be good, and he'll be very important to the team, but he seemed to benefit a lot from other teams not expecting him.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:45 AM
BigT2002

I will go by goal totals:

20 - Good but not great

25 - Happy that we have a consistent goal scoring player on the 2nd line

30 - Complete success in terms of what his value will be

35 - I start to get really excited

40 - I'll eat my hat

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:13 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I think Lats will continue to shine with Marty on his opposite wing, the real question is... can the organization find them a good center since it looks like Mikko will continue to be used on a different line?

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:18 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I think Lats will continue to shine with Marty on his opposite wing, the real question is... can the organization find them a good center since it looks like Mikko will continue to be used on a different line?
I'm just hoping it's not Kyle Brodziak again...

Old
06-03-2010, 10:33 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
I'm just hoping it's not Kyle Brodziak again...
It won't be. I have a very good hunch we go for a #2 center before we go for a #1 scoring winger. Reasoning? Mikko Koivu and Brunette can make any player thats on their line shine with them. Addressing the need for another scoring line when the opposing teams best shutdown defensive players are not on the ice.

Quote:
Mikko needs to be a on different line anyways

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:38 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

the irony is that Koivu is exactly the kind of center that Havlat needs.

And what is with people on this board threatening to eat their hats?

Old
06-03-2010, 07:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I blame my father for that expression. When you hear something enough as a child, it just ends up being repeated without a second thought.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
the irony is that Koivu is exactly the kind of center that Havlat needs.
Agree completely. Koivu would be great on that line, but it's obvious that's not the Wild's plan at this point.

Either way we need another center. If Koivu were shifted to Havlat's line, then we'd be only a 1 line team anyway. 1 line teams don't go anywhere.

Old
06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Agree completely. Koivu would be great on that line, but it's obvious that's not the Wild's plan at this point.

Either way we need another center. If Koivu were shifted to Havlat's line, then we'd be only a 1 line team anyway. 1 line teams don't go anywhere.
That'd be one super line though, but then our second line would look like Bruno-Brodz-Mittens?

Phew that's rough.

I don't know if we're going to be able to find a center this offseason though...or one that's an upgrade.

Old
06-04-2010, 12:05 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

the issue was that Koivu and Havlat have no chemistry. They tried it at all points of the year, and it just doesn't work.

That's ok though- it seems to me that Havlat succeeds the most when there's another scoring option on another line.

Old
06-04-2010, 12:20 AM
State of Hockey

IMO, Koivu and Havlat showed a good bit of chemistry in the 3-4 games they played together.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:35 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
IMO, Koivu and Havlat showed a good bit of chemistry in the 3-4 games they played together.

but all the eggs in one basket...

Koivu and Gaby were split mostly because teams had to focus on Gaby (who could score regardless of who matched up against him). Our best player outside of Gaborik was then a little freer, equaling more scoring opportunities.

Same thing applies, though neither Koivu nor Havlat is the scoring threat Gaborik was. chemistry or not, they'd produce more on separate lines (as they stand now) than they would together. Maybe if Bouchard comes back at full health you could throw Havlat with Koivu and see if bouchard and lats can produce on the second line with a magical mystery centre.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:07 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Agreed completely. Unfortunately those games only took place before Lats was picked up. when Mikko and Marty were together, you could see the only thing they were missing was the gritty net crasher... and that's what Lats does best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
but all the eggs in one basket...

Koivu and Gaby were split mostly because teams had to focus on Gaby (who could score regardless of who matched up against him). Our best player outside of Gaborik was then a little freer, equaling more scoring opportunities.

Same thing applies, though neither Koivu nor Havlat is the scoring threat Gaborik was. chemistry or not, they'd produce more on separate lines (as they stand now) than they would together. Maybe if Bouchard comes back at full health you could throw Havlat with Koivu and see if bouchard and lats can produce on the second line with a magical mystery centre.
Agreed, can't argue much with why it was done... but at the same time I don't hear anything that makes me believe the organization wants to change that either. The talk is always about finding a center for those two, not finding a center so Mikko can play with those two.

If another quality top 2 line center is found, (Belanger was never that player either) you can have multiple scoring lines still. Though we still need Mittens off the damn top line!