HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Middle Tennessee native Blake Geoffrion signs two-year deal!!!

Old
02-06-2010, 03:04 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Middle Tennessee native Blake Geoffrion signs two-year deal!!!

Read a good article in the Tennessean about him having his best season yet. He is only 21 years old. Seems to be putting up some good numbers, is the AHL his next step?? Next season??

Have any of you seen him at training camp?? Looks pretty good??? lots of potential?

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Read a good article in the Tennessean about him having his best season yet. He is only 21 years old. Seems to be putting up some good numbers, is the AHL his next step?? Next season??

Have any of you seen him at training camp?? Looks pretty good??? lots of potential?
Funny part about that article...the picture enclosed with it...ISN'T GEOFFRION!!!

Anyways...yes, Blake will be joining the Admirals as his next step. It isn't clear whether or not he will turn pro after his NCAA season is over this year or whether he will wait till the start of next year to do so...but, Blake will be a key member of the Admirals lineup next season.

Update: OK, they've changed the picture in the article this afternoon. It was originally a picture of #5 for Minnesota-Mankato, not #5 Blake Geoffrion of the Wisconsin Badgers. The picture was from a game against the Badgers because you could see a red/white sweater in the background, but the picture was clearly misidentified earlier...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 02-06-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:57 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Does he get more goals than assists like his grandfather? good shot? projected 3rd liner?

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I thik he's projected as a checking line player. probably wont be expected to score a lot. would of course love to be pleasantly surprised.

I suspect he'll eventually be a replacement for Smithson, or Goc (he is a center, right?)

edit: looked it up... hes a LW.. so maybe he replaces Ward or even Tootoo

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation on Wednesday announced the three Hobey Hat Trick finalists for the 2010 Hobey Baker Memorial Award, honoring college hockey’s top player. Alphabetically, they are: Bobby Butler, senior forward from Univ. of New Hampshire; Blake Geoffrion, senior forward from Univ. of Wisconsin; and Gustav Nyquist, sophomore forward from Univ. of Maine.
The three finalists were selected from the initial list of Top Ten candidates by the 24-member Selection Committee and an additional round of online fan balloting to determine this year’s Hobey Baker winner. Criteria for the award includes: strength of character on and off the ice, displaying outstanding skills in all phases of the game, sportsmanship and scholastic achievements.

This year’s Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced Friday, April 9, 2010 from Ford Field in Detroit, Mich. during the NCAA Frozen Four. The 30th annual announcement will be aired live on ESPNU at 7:00 p.m., ET.
http://www.hobeybaker.com/news/index.html?article_id=46

Conflicting day for sure...earlier on his Twitter account Blake announced that he is picking Phoenix to win the Cup...

Anyways, congrats Blake!!!

Old
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Oh lord. Bad choice. I really can't see the 'Yotes beating us. Or anyone else, really.
Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Seth Lake

FWIW, Geoffrion is obviously a Preds prospect, Butler signed with Ottawa this week, and Nyquist is a prospect of Detroit...

Old
03-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

I just read the selections on USCHO site. Congrats to Blake! Wow two prospects in back to back Hobey Hat Trick! Good scouting
I think Butler, even though his team is not in the Frozen Four will take it, but who knows?
Nyquist is AWESOME! They don't often choose a Sophomore, Geoffrion and Butler are both seniors

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

was butler drafted? i thought I heard he signed as a free agent this week... if he wins wont that be two straight hobey winners who were undrafted?

Old
03-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Butler was a UFA coming out of college.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:23 AM
PredsChik

Congrats to Blake!

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Picking the 'yotes? That's it, trade the punk.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Picking the 'yotes? That's it, trade the punk.
He later posted the following:

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the kind words And I will change my stanley cup winner to whoever wins the preds and yotes series... better preds fans?
http://twitter.com/BlakeGeoffrion/statuses/11390594617

Judging by the response he got on Twitter to his first Tweet...I think he learned...

Old
04-02-2010, 01:54 AM
oreilly22

The Preds' horse is so dark even our prospects pick other teams! If Phoenix wins you might as well throw out playoff experience when evaluating players all together. It would be debunked forever.

Last edited by oreilly22: 04-02-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: ...must...add...more
oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
PredsChik

Very limited access to anything at work, when do the frozen four play? I looked on ESPNU last night and didn't see it but I guess it could be on a different channel. Thanks for any info.

Edit: Never mind. Found not blocked info.

Quote:
The Frozen Four semi-final games on Apr. 8 will air live on ESPN 2. The National Championship game on Apr. 10 will air live on ESPN.

Last edited by PredsChik: 04-02-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: never mind...
PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
It’s rare to see a top NHL draft choice stay in college all four years. UW has had 17 players chosen in the top two rounds since 1980 and five, including Geoffrion, have stayed for all four years. Five left after one season.

Throw in the fact that Geoffrion’s grandfather and great-grandfather are Hockey Hall of Famers and have their numbers retired by Montreal; that his father played in the NHL; and that he was drafted by Nashville after growing up in Brentwood, Tenn., it wasn’t a question of if, but when he would make the transition.

“It’s one of those things where we roll the dice and based on recent history, it didn’t look like he would [come back] ,” Eaves said.

The decision wasn’t so cut-and-dry for Geoffrion. He was just coming off groin surgery, a thought that made him leery of playing a professional schedule just coming off the injury and not in the best physical shape. Looking in the mirror, Geoffrion didn’t think his game was mature enough for the pros, meaning he would have to spend a decent amount of time in the minors, costing him the chance to graduate on time and a get a degree.

With hometown Nashville saying it would sign Geoffrion — the 56th overall pick in the 2006 draft — if he wanted to come but also that it would be fine if he decided to come back to school, Geoffrion made his first step toward returning.

“I just felt my game need more maturing to do, more details and be more creative offensively,” Geoffrion said. “I felt that I would increase my chances from about 5 to 15 percent of going right to the NHL with another year under my belt.”
http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...HO.com+News%29

Great article on Geoffrion, his decision to return, his development this season, and his ultimate goal for the season...

Old
04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I am being completely serious here. I wonder if Geoffrion could crack our bottom line on our playoff roster. I figure we would send him to Milwaukee first, but his tenacity/defensive play/size would be a definite boon to our bottom line. He seems smart enough to step in right away in a penalty kill/defensive line role.

04-05-2010, 10:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I am being completely serious here. I wonder if Geoffrion could crack our bottom line on our playoff roster. I figure we would send him to Milwaukee first, but his tenacity/defensive play/size would be a definite boon to our bottom line. He seems smart enough to step in right away in a penalty kill/defensive line role.
im not sure if its different for players who are draftees but a player who signs a contract with a team after the trade deadline is ineligible for the playoffs (like Caron for Phily)

Old
04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
im not sure if its different for players who are draftees but a player who signs a contract with a team after the trade deadline is ineligible for the playoffs (like Caron for Phily)
Same goes for waiver claims.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I don't think Geoffrion is good enough anyway, to be honest.
Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:32 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that the Preds have had two prospects in as many years as Hobey Baker finalists.

Blake could easily increase the talent level of the bottom six next year.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Milly79

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12286975

Yay! Blake wins!

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:09 PM
jlsg

Not sure what is more exciting, a Pred prospect winning the Hobey Baker or a kid that played youth hockey in TN winning the Hobey Baker.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Not sure what is more exciting, a Pred prospect winning the Hobey Baker or a kid that played youth hockey in TN winning the Hobey Baker.
the latter, by far.... the former is great for a little publicity but the latter says great things about youth hockey in the area... the products of which should become the backbone of the fanbase in another 10 years or so..

Old
04-09-2010, 10:26 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I've looked around the rest of the board and didn't find anything about this out there.

The Hobey Baker is awarded and no one on Hockey's Future is talking about it???? Is that because not only did the winner grow up and play in Nashville youth hockey but is a prospect of the Nashville Predators?

Would these servers implode if this was somewhere on the main boards?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote