Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Senior to minor-pro options?

Old
05-28-2010, 06:13 PM
orion7

vCash: 500
Senior to minor-pro options?

I live in Southern Ontario, and am looking to get back into competitive hockey.

Devoid of trying to travel and hit up open tryouts, what are some more reasonable local options for even senior leagues that might provide potential opportunities down the road?

orion7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:51 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7 View Post
I live in Southern Ontario, and am looking to get back into competitive hockey.

Devoid of trying to travel and hit up open tryouts, what are some more reasonable local options for even senior leagues that might provide potential opportunities down the road?
Depends how long you have been out and how natural skilled you are. Depending on where you live you can check Senior AAA majors. Google the OHA and you should find it.

If you are thinking about the IHL or the E, i doubt you will even get a tryout going by the "looking to get back into..." remark.

But once again, depends on how long you have been out and your natural skill. I played MJ and only lasted a few years in the E.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:11 PM
orion7

"Looking to get back into" was referring to my age. I'm 24 and haven't played competitively for quite a bit.

For my "natural skill," I had always gotten by on natural ability and never worked at hockey through the ranks. I was never really serious, and as my friends had gone on to junior teams and I had a few offers, I declined because of school and work.

Putting in some work, I think I can at least get to a place where I can reach a level that will be challenging, and that's my hope.

Thanks for the info, and I'll keep looking into what I can do.

orion7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Senior hockey is dead in Ontario.

I played Sr. A for 5 years between 19-24 before calling it quits but that was 15 years ago. Most teams in the league in those days were comprised of a mix of Jr.A and Jr. B alumni.

Senior AAA still has a presence but it is really just a small group of teams playing enough games to qualify and send a representative to the Allan Cup. These teams are made up mostly of ex-minor pro guys and they are getting paid to play. At 24 with no Jr. hockey experience and being a few years removed from competition I would suggest there is nothing for you here.

Kind of sad but what can you do? It takes lots of $$$ to run these teams and it is hard to put butts in the seats these days. People are too busy rotting in front of their computers to get up and go watch high level amateur hockey.

Good luck finding somewhere to play. Go to your local rink and start asking some questions. Call up some of the better players you used to play with and find out what they are doing now.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote